Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Wired*Nun's Games > Their Words Are Soft And Kind.

Unread 12th of December, 2009, 05:59
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

Member: #830
Thanos, Vortigern, you around at all?
Unread 29th of January, 2010, 22:48
ikay
Bodak

Member: #2720
Originally Posted by Wired*Nun # "Only a Count, fortunately, as you will undoubtably be called Countess. Even the most junior of the royal family gets some title. It comes in handy at times."
Actually, why is this? It’s Prince Martin, right? It’s only Count Merlin because they didn’t want to get into trouble with his dual heritage. Yet in almost all online games the children of the Elder Amberites are called by any title but prince. I always wonder about it, since over here, we naturally call them princes as well. Hereditary speaking, that’s what you’d call children of princes, right?

Oh well, maybe things are just different in Amber
Unread 30th of January, 2010, 01:10
Wired*Nun

There are many different traditions in Europe surrounding the title of Prince - in some cases it's anyone in the line of succession, in some cases it's only the prime heir, in other cases it's the monarch of smaller holdings (principalities) or the heads of royal families who don't curently hold the throne...and then there's the language differences e.g., Fürst is translated as Prince into English but is actually a different title from Prinz...

Bottom line, I've always (without much deep reflection) thought of the children of Oberon as the Princes and Princesses; descendants of those first-generation Elders get lesser titles. But Martin, because he is the child of the current King, picks up that title by courtesy as well, though in my Amber, Martin has never been formally confirmed as either heir or Prince, it's a title of courtesy only, mostly by nonfamily members who want to take no risks in offending him.

So that's how we will play it here.

Good question, though!
Unread 14th of July, 2010, 06:10
Wired*Nun

This is just a note for the admins in case they do a sweep.

While it has been a while, I still consider the game to be on hiatus and not completely dead (OK, it's in a coma) and at least I could not want it to disappear from existence.

Thanks,

WN
Unread 14th of July, 2010, 06:37
ikay
Bodak

And (some of) his players are still around as well!
Unread 24th of July, 2010, 03:00
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Member: #894
Still here, although somewhat directionless at the moment.
Unread 20th of August, 2010, 05:11
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Member: #7429
Ping.

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Unread 21st of August, 2010, 00:34
Wired*Nun

OK, as I see that at least some players are still around I am going to try to start back up.

In looking over the games what I am most interested in is still Amber. So I am going to try to pick back up where we left off. Hopefully Trey will show up again, I will pop him an e-mail. We four should be enough.

I am also interested in trying to write. Meaning what?

Well, self-publishing has never been easier, and I am finding more and more free time lately (don't tell my boss) including time to write at work (shhhh). Amazon now has a deal where you just upload content, they sell it through Kindle, you keep 70%. Cut out the middlemen. Interestingly, a big writer might still only make a couple of bucks off his/her books, even though the publisher is selling them for much more. There are now a fair number of people that make their living off writing even though they never make it big. I am interested in moving in this direction. It would be a dream to make enough to live on doing this. Selling 25K copies per year at $# per book would do it, at about two bucks a copy for the author.

I have never written a novel, not even many traditional shorter works except for the Amber things you have seen, but I think it would be doable. You guys are IMO all potential authors, with the creativity, imagination and skill to write something. Obviously Amber is off limits because of intellectual properies, but something inspired by the spirit of Amber and some of its elements - much as Sword of Shanarra was obviously inspired by Tolkien - is a possibility.

I think I will start a thread for if any of you are interested in chatting about writing; hopefully the admins won't mind. If I start to make any money off this gig I pledge here and now to donate to ORPG, they well deserve our support.
Unread 21st of August, 2010, 00:47
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Excellent, and I would also be very interested in talking all things writing as that is something I have been ( strongly ) thinking about myself as well. I hadn't really considered the independent publishing route.

Unread 21st of August, 2010, 01:05
Wired*Nun

It really looks like the way to go.

The downside: you have to self- edit and self-critique, with no editor insisting on such things as clarity or keeping the plot moving, not to mention mundane things like copyreading. Also, you have to self-market

The upside: all the barriers to publishing have been removed. No more schmoozing and hoping and negotiating and waiting for checks, you just get the money and your stuff succeeds or fails on the merits (or at least the popularity). It's the novelist's version of blogging vs. old-school journalism. The best blogs and bloggers becomes de facto professionals.

So move on over to the new thread and let the creative juices flow!
Unread 23rd of August, 2010, 14:02
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
If I start to make any money off this gig I pledge here and now to donate to ORPG, they well deserve our support.
It's been over a year since I took over, I really should remove the Paypal button on the front page. T
Unread 23rd of August, 2010, 18:11
ikay
Bodak

I'm still around and happy to 'see' you. Picking up the game sounds good, I'd definitively be in.

Re: writing.... ah, you mean putting my money where the barest whisper of my heart is afraid to go? Uh, I don't know. I'd love to write something that people would like to read, of course. But honestly, I know I'm not creative enough and I doubt I'd be good enough. I'm okay with reacting to someone else's writing, like we do here, but actually thinking of a plot on my own... And then there is the language-thing. I'm not that insecure about my English, I know I have a reasonable vocabulary and I understand at least the basics of the grammar. But did you know the latest edition of the Oxford Dictionary contains 3 to 4 times as many words as its Dutch counterpart, the Dikke van Dale? My point is that I love the versatility of the English language, in fact i like writing in English better then in Dutch, but I'm always surprised by the ease with which you pull of stories without basically repeating the same words over and over.

That, and my life is crazy busy right now. I'm getting married in October and my work department recently shrunk from 5 to 3, with the same amount of work. I think it's fair to say I'm exhausted all the time, so actually doing anything more than just react is too much for me at the moment.
So, for the moment I'll just lurk in the writing thread, okay?
Unread 23rd of August, 2010, 22:10
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #865
I'm checking back in. My computer's been dead for the last two weeks, and I continue to bide time until I can get my bar results back and find a job. For the time being, I'm volunteering to teach students on how to conduct mock trial. I think I'd be up to give this writing thing a shot.

Once I wake up a bit more that is and stop writing paragraphs like the one above.
Unread 23rd of August, 2010, 23:34
Wired*Nun

Congratulations on your impending - sorry, upcoming marriage, Ikay! I hope you are wonderfully happy for all your days. And as far as the writing thing, it's just what I am thinking about now...we will get back to the game too. I do think your command of English is as good as many successful writers of English I have read, if you were so inclined. There is always someone better, and many worse, than you or me or anyone else. I have to overcome the belief myself, that just because many are better, I am not unworthy to even try...

Welcome back Trey. I'll try to post everyone today. Happy Monday.
Unread 24th of August, 2010, 05:26
Wired*Nun

Work got hectic, will check back tomorrow.

Dave
Unread 24th of August, 2010, 05:46
ikay
Bodak

Weh, just returned from a friend's funeral. Not really in the mood anyway.
Unread 25th of August, 2010, 00:25
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

So after going back and reading that last post five months ago, I had to wonder what the hell I was thinking. Was proud of it then but now? It amazing how when I go back and look, it's almost like someone else wrote it.

So I chopped it down and cleaned it up. I think from now on Landon's going to be less focused on the sound of his voice.
Unread 25th of August, 2010, 02:50
Wired*Nun

Originally Posted by ikay # Weh, just returned from a friend's funeral. Not really in the mood anyway.
I am sorry for your loss. Take all the time you need.
Unread 25th of August, 2010, 07:14
ikay
Bodak

No, I'm here. Yesterday was just bad&sad, but game on!
Unread 3rd of September, 2010, 03:47
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Yay for 'party unity'!

Unread 3rd of September, 2010, 04:06
Wired*Nun

We're getting there.
Unread 15th of September, 2010, 12:39
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Passed the Missouri Bar!
Unread 15th of September, 2010, 16:13
ikay
Bodak

That's very cool! Congrats again!
Unread 15th of September, 2010, 19:55
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Indeed, congratulations.

Unread 16th of September, 2010, 04:23
Wired*Nun

Congrats! That must feel great.

Sorry about the delay...I am starting to wonder if it's my drugs. I am not skittish about taking prescription drugs if there's a reason - a while back I started on one statin for cholesterol and I think it messed me up in small physical ways but more psychological ways - like motivation problems, mild depression, insomnia etc. These have been reported anecdotally for this stuff...I went off it for a while and that was when things improved, and I wanted to get back to doing this...now I started on another one and though it's not as pronounced as the other drug, I am starting to wonder if the demotivation problem is the same, if not so severe.

Or maybe it's just a character flaw. I'm not one to always blame something other than my own failings.

But I am having a hard time...I'll keep thinking about it.

Of course, partly it is that the latest of the Change series came out and I've been devouring it...

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 16th of September, 2010 at 04:33.