Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Wired*Nun's Games > Their Words Are Soft And Kind.

Reply
Thread Tools
  #176  
Unread 5th of February, 2010, 21:24
ikay's Avatar
ikay
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member: #2720
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 880 (0.20 per day)
Terhen looks around almost bemused at the signs of former occupancy and the activity alike. She wanders into the bedroom and looks at the bed. It does seem enormous to her, all that wood, just to sleep in. She isn’t quite sure how she feels about that, yet.

At the old man’s question she rouses to attention, shuffling out of the way of a maid burdened with more cleaning supplies. “Yes, eh, the heads can go, and most of the other embellishments as well, I guess. Leave the furniture for now, I’ll pick something out later to get myself settled. Just, eh, could you bring a couple cushions?”

She walks into the bedroom, idly opening and closing some of the drawers and touching all the wood. The walk-in closet is next and Terhen sees it already sports a mirror, so she calls out that an extra one won’t be needed right now. When she returns to the living room she’s just in time to stop the maids from removing the rug. “No, you can leave that one. It’s not my usual taste, but it is beautiful. Until I have something else, I’d like to keep it.” She doesn’t know why she feels the need to justify her choice.

Withdrawing a bit to stand near Haefen again she unconsciously rubs the ever amazing Garb. “Shall we go pick up my stuff and bring it here?” Probably something the servants could do, but I like to keep track of my own things, something to hold onto, maybe.

When they are outside in the hall, she asks: “I expected it to be empty somehow, not so, well, like somebody lived there. I hope removing all that stuff is okay, since they left it like that before. Do you know whether I have any neighbours, or someone else who might object to a new resident?”

She laughs at her own feelings of unease, silently counting the number of steps it takes to the main corridor, planning to do the same in Haefen’s hallway, to see if she can figure out how far apart they are. Her thoughts run to how to decorate her new space, her recent bout with homesickness inspiring images of painted silks on the walls and luxurious cushions and rugs on the floor. A window would have been nice, but she could perfectly well live without it. She’d just have to think of a way of producing more light, Maybe something with mirrors behind the lamps…
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Unread 9th of February, 2010, 02:45
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
"Yes, let's get your things." They walk down the hall and around two corners to the right, back up the hallway toward Haefen's smaller quarters, talking. "Neighbors? I don't know, you will have to keep watch, or ask the servants. I'm not sure whose place that was before...we could probably find out, from Flora...or maybe you should ask your father. Perhaps he wouldn't demand a price for the information," he says lightly, "unlike Auntie. She wouldn't have assigned it to you if there was any chance of the former occupant returning...unless somehow it suited her twisted purposes." He turns his head to her, quirks his mouth in a half-smile.

"Oh, yes, I have no doubt she prepared and assigned it to you herself, for some devious reason of her own. I just hope she would not be so twisted as to give you someplace that would cause an immediate conflict. And it's probably bugged. That is, has some kind of listening device or capability. I suggest you ask your father to search it and disable whatever he finds...and we need to check it physically for secret doors, panels, or other things like that."

They arrive at Haefen's room; it seems to her that their rooms should be back-to-back, though she is not sure of the distance between.

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 23rd of February, 2010 at 06:25.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Unread 23rd of February, 2010, 05:42
ikay's Avatar
ikay
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member: #2720
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 880 (0.20 per day)
Terhen’s listens to his words with her emotions clear to read on her face. It starts out with playful disbelief, but soon she is frowning in something like anger and a bit of worry that there is an apparent need to think like that, over here. In the end, she realizes how ridiculous all of this is and that no amount of worry or disbelief will change it, so she shakes her head and once again makes up her mind to just blow with these strange winds. Struggling doesn’t help and if the desert gets hot, you can complain, but adapting to the circumstances and wearing a burnoose works better. Then there is the mention of secret doors and the like, which appeals to her sense of adventure and she brightens at the thought. For good measure she stars knocking on the wall which seems to her like it should be close to her new quarters.

As she bends forward to place her ear against the panelling, listening for the cleaning servants, she speaks to Haefen. “Mmm, and maybe asking Dad instead of Flora is exactly what she counted on me doing. Then again, if you don’t know who lived there I’m pretty much out of options.”

She straightens and stars gathering her stuff. “I’ll ask the servants first. Then I’ll Trump Dad and ask him about that other stuff, the listening devices you mentioned. Maybe he can come over right away. Otherwise we’ll leave for Suvi and anybody who wants to can listen to my empty rooms.”

She winks at Haefen, then bites her lip. “How do you know no-one is listening in to us here?”
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Unread 25th of February, 2010, 02:14
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
"Mother took a look, and gave Flora a stern warning. And I have been granted Ambassadorial status by the Rebman throne, so it would cause a political incident if someone were to intrude on me. It wouldn't surprise me if Fiona or your father has the ability to do it, but I doubt they'd take the risk unless there was pressing need. So I don't absolutely know for sure, but I can't spend time worrying." He knocks on the walls with her in good humour, listening for sounds, but there are none recognizable, no voices.

There aren't any obvious secret passages; the walls seem solid enough wood paneling or stone. If there is something there, it's cunningly hid.

They gather up her things, to walk back around to her new quarters. By now, all the staff has finished except for the old man in charge, who is puttering, rubbing a finger here and moving an item slightly here and there. It appears he's waiting for her to return and approve of the preparations as well as make any requests.

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 27th of February, 2010 at 00:14.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Unread 26th of February, 2010, 23:01
ikay's Avatar
ikay
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member: #2720
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 880 (0.20 per day)
“Hello again,” she greets the man, dropping her bag on the couch and ignoring his wince as the contents partly spill out, instantly undoing the spotlessness of the room. She glances around and notices the requested cushions have been brought and the over-the-top hunting-trophies are removed.

“It looks fine,” the redhead says. “Couple of questions; who’s rooms were these before? And do I have any neighbours to who I should introduce myself?”

Unable to stand still, she walks over to the fire-place to check on the amount of fuel, once again surprised by the abundance of wood in this place. There seem to be enough lamps as well, for now anyway. We’re leaving. I’m bringing my own stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #181  
Unread 10th of March, 2010, 07:01
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
"Milady," the senior servant replies neutrally. "It was in my grandfather's day, but I believe these were Prince Osric's. I am sorry, but I cannot assist you with your neighbors or their introductions."

At her nonplussed expression, he relents a bit. "Most people desire to maintain their privacy, milady. I would no more carry tales of them than I would of you. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 13th of March, 2010 at 10:49.
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Unread 12th of March, 2010, 01:51
ikay's Avatar
ikay
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member: #2720
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 880 (0.20 per day)
“Prince Osric? That’s a long time ago, isn’t it? Were these rooms left undisturbed all these years?” Terhen asks in genuine wonder.

At his second statement she shakes her head in slight distaste. Privacy is all well and good, but not naming the neighbours seems rather over the top to her. Out loud she says: “No, thanks, I think I’m fine for now. The place looks very…” she looks around, trying to thinks of a statement that would convey adequate gratefulness, “… clean.”

As the servant walks out, she adds; “Oh, if any of my neighbours are curious about all the sudden activity over here, I would appreciate it if you let them know my name and that they are welcome to come by, once I return from my travels that is.”

Turning to Haefen she raises one eyebrow and involuntarily juts her chin out slightly, wondering whether she handled this the right way but not wanting to ask. After unpacking her few belongings and hanging out her clothes, a matter of minutes at most, she reaches for her trumpdeck. “So, shall I call on my father, then?”

If nothing else happens she starts concentrating on the image of her father once more.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Unread 25th of August, 2010, 03:15
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
"Yes, they have been kept empty...but I was told to give them to you. I do not question the assignments." He bows and withdraws.

The Trump contact comes quickly; she sees him in an unusual suit of armor, somewhere outside, the sounds of battle around him. He seems relaxed and unconcerned, however. "Good morning, Teri-chan."

Funny, she remembers he used to call her that when she was little. He said it means "little one" in some shadow tongue.

"You up for some sparring? Never know when your skills will be needed."
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Unread 25th of August, 2010, 07:13
ikay's Avatar
ikay
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member: #2720
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 880 (0.20 per day)
As always she feels her lips curl up in a smile when she sees her father, the more when he seems to be dressed up in a battle that seems ready to be worn on a stage. "I was actually calling to tell you we were about ready to leave. I've gotten my own rooms and they used to be Osric's..." Terhen watches her father's face to see how and if her reacts to that information. Then Haefen's words about Flora listening in.

"But I guess we could come to you first." She looks up and reaches out to Haefen to draw him into the contact and then with her through to her father, saying: "Are you up for a little stop along the way?"
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Unread 3rd of September, 2010, 03:35
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
"Yes, I arranged that...it's high time those rooms are occupied again. He's not coming back," Bleys responds lightly, no hint of pain behind his eyes. She tries to remember what she was told about Bleys and Osric's respective ages...Bleys must have been very young when Osric went away...

Haefen happily consents - in fact, he seems to be content to do most anything - and they are drawn through. They find themselves on a field of mock battles, the Castle in the near distance, the smells of sweat and blood and horse, leather and metal. Bleys kisses her hand mischievously, then raises an armored palm to Haefen in silent greeting.

Nearby, a short redheaded pixie-woman in fencing dress leans on the fence, looking in at the field. She lifts her eyebrows and flutters fingers in greeting, hello. Haefen grins and strides across to her, dragging Terhen gently with him.

"Aunt Fi! Meet cousin Terhen! I'm sure you know of her arrival...?"

"Of course, I heard. A pleasure to meet you!" Fiona unrests her elbows on the fence to reach across it toward Terhen's hand, giving it a businesslike shake if taken. Terhen can see her father's features reflected in his sister's face, legacy of their mother Clarissa.

"A fellow redhead is always welcome," she says with a slight wink. "Especially if she eschews sorcery for nobler things." Her head cocks gently, catlike peering from one widened eye. "Two introductions in one day."

She points with her chin toward two men sparring expertly with spear and shield, just as the slighter of the two, wearing armor like to Bleys', rams the blunted point of his practice weapon into the padded gut of the other.

"Loric...and?" asks Haefen musingly.

"His half-brother Rodric, newly arrived. Add another pawn to the board," she replies. "It appears Benedict had his own Helen off in some Greek analogue, and he is the result. But not quite as obsessedly martial as Loric. Probably a much more interesting fellow..."
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Unread 3rd of September, 2010, 04:45
ikay's Avatar
ikay
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member: #2720
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 880 (0.20 per day)
Terhen doesn't bother hiding her relieved expression when it turns out it was her father that chose her rooms. She is happy to step through to him and matches his hand-kiss with an elegant curtsy without thinking about it. The practice field conjures images of home, the Copper compound. There is still too much green here, though and the smell of the sea and green growing things is heavy in the air, unlike the dry dust she is used to.

Fighting styles are different to, especially the diversity among them and she tries to take it all in with a glance, until Haefen draws her attention to the woman at the fence. This time it is she who lets herself be pulled along without comment.

The greeting by shaking of hands is new, but Terhen takes it up enthusiastically, as always giving as good as she gets. "Shade and sweet water, and a pleasure to meet you, too." Terhen laughs easily; "Sorcery isn't my forte, but as they say, the world is my fig. Who knows what strange new things await me...." Like under-water cities... Everything new here is magic enough for me, right now!

She obligingly follows the pointed chin, but cocks her head to look at Fiona out of the corner of her eyes when she makes the jibe about Loric... Her aunt had to know Haefen was Loric's friend. Perhaps she is just teasing?

Keeping her tone as light as it was before, Terhen says: "I don't know, to me all of you are terribly interesting. I wonder whether the other new arrival is feeling the same sandstorm I do upon coming here....?"
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Unread 3rd of September, 2010, 23:32
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
"If he is, he doesn't show it," responds Fiona. "Of course, he arrived with his ship, crew and a personal guard, and hasn't been subjected to as much newness as you have." She says this as if Terhen's activities are common knowledge; it's another reminder of the reach of the elder family members here in their own demesnes.

"I suspect the shocks you have experienced will hit him later; he is a King in his own land and still in his gut thinks of himself that way; the fact that he is still a person of privilege in this realm might be something of a cushion but he will still have to face the fact that his power just diminished from a whole world to...to what he can reach with his spear. More or less." She blinks, rubs an eye.

"Haefen...I think we girls would like to take a walk. Will you excuse us?"

Haefen's mouth opens slightly, then shuts as he smooths over any reaction he might show. He says cheerfully, "Of course, Aunt Fi. I'll just take in the martial atmosphere here..." he waves at the scene with an expansive, palm-up gesture.

Fiona waves Terhen toward the gate in the fence, walking down the line to meet her, if she acceeds.

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 4th of September, 2010 at 07:29.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Unread 4th of September, 2010, 01:54
ikay's Avatar
ikay
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member: #2720
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 880 (0.20 per day)
That is interesting, to think of becoming a true Amberite as something which diminishes your power... But there is no time to reflect upon that now, as Fiona makes her unexpected 'request'. Terhen is amused at Haefen's reaction and winks at him as she follows her aunt, the fence between them. She refrains from looking at her father, once more of a firm mind that she should really be her own person here.

The gate isn't latched and Terhen fluidly pulls it open and crosses over towards Fiona. She isn't sure how to address the woman, so she avoids both name or title. Instead she focuses on her own breathing, trying to calm the flutter that's suddenly in her stomach. "Where shall we walk towards, then? Or shall we just wander a bit?"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 12:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren