Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Dirigible's Games > The Centinels

Unread 18th of June, 2008, 15:42
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

Member: #449
I liked Lee's version, too; to be honest, I may have liked it more.

This version has a great beginning and some pretty good bits in the middle (Blonsky vs. the Hulk gives me great hopes for how awesome the Captain America film might be), but loses the plot by the end. You'd think a '26 minute fight scene' would be a plus (people certainly talk as if it is), but it just goes nowhere.
Unread 19th of June, 2008, 13:13
Harrigan
Ghoul

Member: #1395
HAVE NOT YET SEEN HULK. DOUBT PUNY BIXBY CAMEO UNLESS USE FANCY CG EFFECTS. PUNY BIXBY DEAD SINCE 1993.
Unread 19th of June, 2008, 13:24
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

It's almost like you want spoilers...

I didn't realise what Bixby's cameo was until someone told me later.
Unread 8th of August, 2008, 15:52
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

Hokay.

Lately I've been managing to just about get back up to speed on the other PbP games I run on GroovyGamers and elsewhere. That leaves me faced with the conundrum of the Centinels... and frankly, this one's been limping a lot longer than my other games, suffering from a slow bleed of internal contradictions, GM lag, and half-baked plots that I've changed around so much that mot of them are like escalators to nowhere.

Taking all that into consideration, I've decided I have to bite the bullet and lay this old dog to a well-earned rest. I don't take any pleasure in concluding the gory, convoluted saga of the Centinels... but I just don't have the time or energy to keep it in motion. We've had some fun times, some affecting times, and some mighty fine writing... but there has to be and ending.

Last edited by Dirigible; 8th of August, 2008 at 15:54.
Unread 9th of August, 2008, 00:14
Kaos
Ghast

Member: #541
I can't say that I didn't see it coming but its pretty damn depressing all the same.

Thanks for letting me play, its been a blast.
Unread 11th of August, 2008, 17:09
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

Member: #1052
Yeah, I'm sorry to see this go (like Kaos, I was actually expecting this, but it's disappointing nonetheless)...I was really starting to get into Henry as a character. Thanks for letting me join you folks in an exciting game.

Ciao!

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all who threaten it!

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.
Unread 14th of August, 2008, 11:45
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
I blame me. Blimpy kills every game I participate in.
Unread 14th of August, 2008, 15:35
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

Yes, but only out of spite.

So, while we're here... does anyone have any questions about the game? Any mysteries they'd like sorted out? Hanging threads they'd like tugged?
Unread 15th of August, 2008, 00:23
Kaos
Ghast

“ Originally Posted by Dirigible # Yes, but only out of spite.

So, while we're here... does anyone have any questions about the game? Any mysteries they'd like sorted out? Hanging threads they'd like tugged?
”
I have a couple, when Ryan was in the sewers with Trisha being mind controlled by the ghost, he encountered the little girl, who or what was it, what was it doing there, etc.

Second, you implied that the ghost and Trisha had a conversation, what importance was it to Ryan?
Unread 15th of August, 2008, 07:10
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

Had to scour the back issues to jog my memory. That whole episode was a multi-layered mindfuck

The little blonde girl in the white nightgown was named Christine; she's cropped up before, as the figure that caused the Mechanic to crash the car in Ish #1, as someone Quantum saw inside a jumbo jet as he flew over the city, and haunting Wreck when he was in the hotel room after he started working for X.

She's part of the plot that was beginning to unfold in Ish #5; an extremely powerful telekinetic, part of a group of crazy, evil psychics responsible for the wave of mysterious mind-control, TK and hallucination attacks that some of you have experienced (Verve at the coffee shop, f'rex, and the massacre of the black-ops outfit that the Mindwarp PC was part of). They're the threat that Simon Bates, Mr. Lizard wwas going to meet with you about to deal with.

She was just about the only real thing in the tunnels; she was 'visiting' Ritual to see if he was a psychic, so that her group could recruit him... or steal his brain. When she spoke, she was talking to the illusion of Elizabeth that Ritual was projecting:

“ She - assuming that she is what she appears to be - lifts a willowy finger to her pallid lips, signing you to silence.

“Shhhhhh. I’m not supposed to be here. He’s not what I thought.” The little blonde girl stares at you cryptically for several more seconds, and then begins to trudge along the tunnel, past you. Despite the terrified sizzling of your nerves, she doesn’t seem to make any hostile moves. Peering over your shoulder, Elizabeth frowns. “No, you’re not,” she mutters, her voice oddly raspy.
”
They were both simply being a bit cagey around each other; both of them were utterly insane and very powerful, so neither wanted to start something that would screw up their plans.

Was that the incident you were referring to? The only other little girl I remember was Nicolette, the 'morlock' child who secreted healing goo from her hands.
Unread 15th of August, 2008, 14:33
Cadrius

Was Christine the same one responsible for Tracy's random nosebleed back in Issue 1?

Also, I mourn Centurion and Gren (very much), but I'll miss Tracy and the Centinels most out of all of Blimpie's games. You gentlemen have been a real pleasure to work with over the years.
Unread 15th of August, 2008, 14:58
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

I can't recall the exact context you're speaking of, but I think so. Her or one of the other Dream Spiders.

One of them was also responsible for Bolt stabbing Osprey outside the courthouse at O'Malley's trial, the disappearance of Verve's friend... now that I think about it, they've been doing a lot of behind the scenes work.

edit: What other tasty spoilers do I have to share?

X was actually Kenneth Whyte, the Mechanic's vice-president.

Verve's friend Tim Hunt, the glowing-red-hologram projector was engaged to Quantum's ex-wife.

Osprey's fighty-crush, Red Hare, was going to turn up amnesiac but alive.

The "B-Team" was actually an back-up organ bank; superhuman spare parts to repair the Centinels without jeopardising their powers, should they be grossly injured (after all, who knows if giving a nova a human blood transfusion would water down their abilities?) The teeth they claimed to be growing for Osprey in the lab were actually going to be harvested from the poor saps in cryo-storage.

Last edited by Dirigible; 15th of August, 2008 at 15:07.
Unread 16th of August, 2008, 00:37
Kaos
Ghast

“ Originally Posted by Dirigible # They were both simply being a bit cagey around each other; both of them were utterly insane and very powerful, so neither wanted to start something that would screw up their plans.

Was that the incident you were referring to?
”
That was the incident indeed, thanks muchly

“ Originally Posted by Dirigible # The "B-Team" was actually an back-up organ bank; superhuman spare parts to repair the Centinels without jeopardising their powers, should they be grossly injured (after all, who knows if giving a nova a human blood transfusion would water down their abilities?) The teeth they claimed to be growing for Osprey in the lab were actually going to be harvested from the poor saps in cryo-storage. ”
Man, that's just wrong on so many levels.

One post you made was a "Vision of the future" thing it had Osprey ruling over a wasteland with the mechanic as his minion and they had just captured Quantum to power some sort of machine. (You didn't come right out and say it was them, I am assuming that is who they were.) Where did Ryan and Tracy fit within that future?
Unread 16th of August, 2008, 06:37
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

Tracy I'm not sure about, but I was going to have Ryan retired and living with Tricia, running only as a hobby. Until, that is, Osprey shows up with a goon squad and killer robots, sometime before the post-apocalyptic vision, to recruit him... or tie up loose ends.
Unread 19th of August, 2008, 12:18
Harrigan
Ghoul

Also sorry to see this go -- was the first pbp, and the first M&M game I ever played in. Stumbled across it late one night, and after reading the warehouse fight and a few other choice scenes, was hooked. Good work on this, D. It's a game to be proud of.
Unread 21st of August, 2008, 06:26
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

Member: #1052
Lord, I don't think I was here long enough to really get deeply involved with the plot. I like that X was the Mechanic's VP, though. Nice touch.

I am curious as to where you were taking the gov't's interference with Rob and Henry's companies. And, were Henry's lawyers ever going to be able to successfully challenge/circumvent the anti-vigilante laws?

Also, was Ms. Stone (it was Stone, wasn't it...the former second-in-charge of the CF before Henry came in) eventually going to stick around? Henry was trying so hard to be sincere about keeping her.

Hey, if any of you decide to start up an M&M game, let me know and I'll be game.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all who threaten it!

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.
Unread 21st of August, 2008, 13:41
Harrigan
Ghoul

I've been running an M&M game over on a different site for some time now... have a good core group of players, but am often on the hunt for more as the 5-6 roster spots often seem to revolve. Prolly bad form for me to advertise here, but if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll shoot some links over so you can see what it's all about. Quite a different feel from the Cents, certainly.
Unread 25th of August, 2008, 06:55
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

“ Lord, I don't think I was here long enough to really get deeply involved with the plot. I like that X was the Mechanic's VP, though. Nice touch. ”
X's ultimate goal (hinted at so far only through veiled comments to Wreck, such as "It's a lovely city... let's hope it's still standing tomorrow!") was to create enough anarchy (hence, arming the gangs, etc) to blackout New York and stage a breakout from the Stranglehold prison, freeing Rend - the unkillable mutant psychopath that murdered Verve's father, amongst 200 others.

I had conflicting notions as to why (like a lot of plots in the Centinels, it got revised every few months as new ideas came up in play)... but my current theory was that he had been hired to acquire Rend so that his regenerating tissues could be used to cure/rejuvenate a wealthy patron.

“ I am curious as to where you were taking the gov't's interference with Rob and Henry's companies. And, were Henry's lawyers ever going to be able to successfully challenge/circumvent the anti-vigilante laws? ”
The seizure of Rising Sun's assets was mainly a move against the Centinels; they'd only be interested in Blackthorne in as much as he was deliberately associating himself with the group.

Legal efforts wouldn't have produced much effect... Mr. Lizard's boss (who I don't think was ever seen or much referenced in game) was organising a nation-wide parahuman coup, attempting to unite all the vigilantes, mercenaries and freelancers in a unified Corp. The medical facility Quantum and Meteoric found on the US/Canada border (where they were intercepted by a couple of novas in mysterious uniforms) was part of that project.

“ Also, was Ms. Stone (it was Stone, wasn't it...the former second-in-charge of the CF before Henry came in) eventually going to stick around? Henry was trying so hard to be sincere about keeping her. ”
Probably, yes, out of spite to her former employers, if nothing else
Unread 29th of August, 2008, 05:08
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #152
Sorry to see this end, but with the long pause we had, I think I sort of saw this coming. Your writing will be sorely missed.

While we're in the 'revealing secrets' mode, the long talk that Wreck and Quantum had (while Q was waiting for his bug-zapper to recharge) had them going their separate ways... but Wreck was going to look for subtle ways to sabotage X's efforts, and pass messages along to warn of things he couldn't prevent. In return, Q was going to arrange for the Foundation to put a chunk of cash into a savings account on a regular basis.

I didn't want to bring this up while the game was running, 'cause I didn't want to ruin the surprise.
Unread 29th of August, 2008, 17:29
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

See, stuff like that you should tell your GM.
Unread 23rd of October, 2009, 13:01
Cadrius

It's been over a year. I just wanted to say that I still miss you guys.

*Cues 80s soundtrack*

Don't you forget about me.
Don't don't don't don't.

Unread 24th of October, 2009, 04:46
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

Who are you, and how did you get in here?!

I'm running my M&M PbPs mostly over on GroovyGamers, now. Couple of supers ones set in a different universe than the Centinels (and tossing around the ideas for a third), plus a MIDNIGHT dark fantasy game using M&M.

Last edited by Dirigible; 24th of October, 2009 at 04:50.