Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Chris Chandler's Games > Epicureans

Unread 9th of September, 2008, 04:28
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Member: #2980
Malak smiles broadly, Forgive me, friend, I meant no challenge to your abilities. I merely mean to ask what is your field of specialty.
Unread 9th of September, 2008, 05:15
Doombot
Spirit of the Spartan Nation [Epic]

Member: #1704
Ah...beg pardon if I came across as a bit hostile -- this recent trip is playing hell with my memory, and I'm a bit on edge. I only meant to reassure you that I can care for myself, although I admit that I'm no Gatekeeper.

I grin at the tall man sheepishly, this mis-communication sapping the last of my belligerence.

My operational specialty is the neutralization of offensive practitioners of arcana, and others familiar with the occult. To that end, I possess many talents that allow me to combat them more safely than others.

Unaware of just how uniquely endowed I am with regards to my ongoing quest to hunt down magic users, I cast a sidelong glance at OmniFrost in particular.

I need to keep my eye on her. Both eyes, whenever I can spare them.
Unread 9th of September, 2008, 05:31
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Member: #2781
I look at Aros, startled, and even moreso as he looks at OmniFrost. "And I... hmmmm. I don't know that I have a field of specialty, unless fighting for freedom and individuality counts. Sounds a bit more philosophical than it really is when I put it that way though.

Basically, I'm a wanderer and a traveler and this isn't that tight a pinch for me either... oh, speaking of that, this is surely not Mechanus, no gears. Nor Elysium. No trees. Though the Outlands sounds like a possibility. But the desert is right on.

I'll see if I can see anywhere to head."

I spread my wings (Wait, where'd those come from? Were they there before?) and fly up for an aerial view.

Last edited by LadyGlutter; 9th of September, 2008 at 05:35.
Unread 9th of September, 2008, 06:58
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Member: #2777
I listen to Malak. I listen to Aros. When he looks at me, I smile. My eyes shift from his to the cup, and back.

I watch Mizuki as she soars up into the sky. Then shift my attention to Malak. Perhaps you should leave the bones of the staff's owner with the chimes. We don't need to anger a spirit in our first few moments upon this world.

Last edited by LightBringer; 10th of September, 2008 at 22:47. Reason: Boney confusion.
Unread 11th of September, 2008, 02:35
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Malak laughs as Mizuki takes flight, and watches her as she ascends, a broad grin on his face. Then as Omnifrost speaks, he shakes his head, Aye, if these bones belonged to the owner of the staff, I would leave them. But they do not, they are the bones of a Child, and not from this place.

Last edited by MadDogMaddux; 11th of September, 2008 at 12:23.
Unread 11th of September, 2008, 03:58
Doombot

I look briefly and nonchalantly at Mizuki's aerial acrobatics, acceptance preceding even the faintest tremors of amazement. After everything I've seen lately, this doesn't even deserve an honorable mention for strange.
Unread 11th of September, 2008, 10:44
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

Member: #1475
The sun sinks even lower into the swirling sands, the night descending rapidly. The cooling air brings a strong breeze with it, and the chimes clink and clatter loudly. All three on the ground take note of Mizuki as she soars for a better view of your collective surroundings.

Mizuki, you break past the dust quickly enough and into open relatively open air. There is a big thermal right where you are, which would give you a quick ride up into the high atmosphere, but, you don't want to lose your bearings.* This vantage gives you a somewhat better view of the topography, but the sands go on almost to the edge of your vision. You can make out, to what you would consider east, about a half-day's trek east, in fact, what looks badlands, rather than actual sandy desert. To the west you see nothing but sand and wind, but darker shapes in the distance, suggesting a low mountain range, barely seen against the waning light. The north offers a similar view to the east, roughly a good trek to rocky barrens, and the south shows sand and wind and nothing more.

There are, here, no distinct features to the land, no meaningful landmarks, and no clear directional markers, other than the setting sun, which will be down in a matter of a quarter-hour.

Anything else you want to view, Mizuki?

---
* LG say no way to losing sight of folks

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 11th of September, 2008, 12:24
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Malak continues to look upwards, watching on, but turns to watch OmniFrost as well, How about you, Miss OmniFrost? Clearly you are a kind and considerate individual, but you have not said much of who you are or from where you hail...

Unread 12th of September, 2008, 00:54
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

No, for now, that is sufficient. If I had been accompanied, I might have caught that thermal and found somewhere better to light, but as it is, I'll make my way back down. I will fly around in a wide circle on my way down, trying to see if there is discernible path, leading anywhere at all, even if it stops abruptly. I don't expect footprints or anything like that, but possibly something marked by those windchimes every so often? Also, any vegetation, at all, would be nice to take note of.
Unread 12th of September, 2008, 01:26
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

A smirky smile returns to my lips as I look at Malak, "Weren't you paying attention? I'm the threat!" as I glance back at Aros. "Are you done with my cup sir?"
Unread 12th of September, 2008, 06:22
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

So the good Captain believes you are a mage and therefore a threat, that much I have indeed discerned. But you have said almost nothing of yourself. Whether or not you CARE to entrust yourself Aros, I would ask that you entrust yourself to ME, at least for the duration of our journey out of this Desert. But truth engenders trust, not mystery.
Unread 12th of September, 2008, 08:19
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

I laugh, a good hard laugh, "I have no problems entrusting myself to anyone. Aros' personal problems are his own. I have no intentions of harming him, or anyone else, unless it is absolutely neccesary. As it is, it appears magical water has no ill effects on him. As to where I am from, I to originate from Flanaess. Although I don't spend much time there."
Unread 12th of September, 2008, 14:17
Chris Chandler

Mizuki, you bank around easy, looking for anything that might stand out, be it an odd rock jutting from the dune, a foot trail, even the husk of a dead Joshua Tree. The immediate vicinity offers no such feature. You see no vegetation right here. You see no other windchimes, no foot paths, nothing else that you could use as an immediate landmark. The dunes themselves, maybe for short-term orientation, but nothing for continuous travel.

The distance offers little respite, in that regard. The western mountains you anticipate are miles off are just a featureless darkness here. The southern dunes extend into the horizon, and the north offers the scrabble of distant badlands. The east, only, as you make your pass (specifically because you make your pass widely) you think that there is a table of rock in the badlands that you can use to keep your orientation. It is distinctive enough. With it you can probably keep true going any other direction.

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 12th of September, 2008, 23:52
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Malak furrows his brow, I have to think outside the box here...somehow not everyone here is from my understanding of reality... What part of the Flanaess do you hail from, and where DO you spend most of your time now?
Unread 13th of September, 2008, 01:46
Doombot

Expressionless, I toss OmniFrost's cup back to her, perhaps a little harder than need be.

Many thanks.
Unread 13th of September, 2008, 04:28
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Malak glowers at Aros, Do they teach men no manners where you come from, or to disrespect a lady?
Unread 13th of September, 2008, 06:22
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

And right around then, I land. Not having heard the previous conversation, and only seeing the looks on everyone's faces, I opt to keep quiet til I get the gist of what exactly is going on.
Unread 13th of September, 2008, 06:41
Chris Chandler

As the sun finishes it's descent behind the dunes of this forsaken place, the four of you each look upon another, the tension understandably high. The Only the sounds of the chimes break the conversation.

Even in the darkening sky there is no comfort, for the blowing dust obscures any stars that might have appeared.

((please continue))

Unread 13th of September, 2008, 09:32
Doombot

I glower right back at Malak, staring up several inches, undaunted

What I was taught is that women are equal in station to men, including their capacity to cause harm. I was taught that blithely accepting everyone at face value can deleterious effects on one's well-being. I was also taught to trust my instincts, which is why my sword is safely stowed. A thousand pardons for not trusting this 'lady' -- or any of you, for that matter -- implicitly, five minutes after meeting. Five minute, what's more, after finding myself mostly buried under sand in a place I've never been, with the odd feeling that I'm three different people.

It seems likely now that we will need to combine our efforts if we want to make it out of this wasteland alive. But that doesn't mean that I will give my trust freely, without it being earned. That's the only reason I'm alive today.

There is no shouting, no cursing. The tirade comes rolling out with a calm intensity, as if lecturing a raw recruit.

Feelings can mend more easily than bones. I will apologize for my distrust only when it has been proven to be unnecessary beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Unread 13th of September, 2008, 10:29
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I fold up my wings. They have snowy white feathers, slightly glimmering even in this dusky light. If anyone bothers to take a closer look, the shafts of the feathers are gleamingly opalescent, with almost a mother-of-pearl effect.

I don't know why they're so tense, but I can guess enough to know maybe I should speak up. I interrupt, nodding, and grinning a little bit. "Three different people? You sure you're not a threat to yourself? Yeah I'll reserve my trust too, sounds like a plan."

I chuckle, and hope that this breaks the tension a little.

I saw very little up with my aerial view up there. The dust is kicking up something fierce. There's badlands to the north and east... and if we head a little to the east we might can use one of the rocks I saw to orient ourselves without knowing the stars at night... and to the west, far out, there might be mountains."
Unread 13th of September, 2008, 12:06
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Malak shakes his head in response to Aros, but does not reply, instead turning to Mizuki, Your wings are quite beautiful, angelic even. Where did you get them? he speaks with the hint of a smile on his voice.

Pausing to think, he turns to the whole group, May I reccomend that we simply make camp in the lee of this dune? Night is coming on and we've yet to determine what it is we shall do next. Perhaps I can share with you why I am here, and why I believe you are here. Then we can see if it agrees with each of you or not.
Unread 13th of September, 2008, 13:21
Doombot

That sounds appropriate. I could use a little rest, although I'd prefer to get away from this sand.

I dig out a length of rope and lay it on the ground, tightly coiled. Muttering a syllables I learned
(from a wizardess while fending off invading Dhakani)
(or was it a gift from the Locathah)
from an old Drow swaeme in a campagin against the giants, I coax the rope up off the ground, until it stands a good thirty feet up.

You folks are welcome to sleep on the desert sand, if you like, but I've already been acquainted with it, and I can do without. There's room for plenty; just check your baggage before entering.
Unread 13th of September, 2008, 15:07
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Malak bursts out in laughter, Well done, Captain! And thank you! Where would you have me stow my gear?
Unread 14th of September, 2008, 06:59
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

((I've managed to find a few minutes.))

I catch the cup 'tossed' by Aros. The extra zing doesn't seem to bother me.

To the current offer I nod in appreciation to Aros, "Your offer is tempting, but I prefer to stay out here. I enjoy the elements, and the challenges they present."
Unread 14th of September, 2008, 10:43
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I look up at the rope and am thinking when OmniFrost speaks up. I nod. "I'm camping out here, too. Thank you, though, Aros.

And thank you for the compliment, Malak, I appreciate it. Oh, and I got my wings from the same place I got my arms and legs and head."
I laugh at that, because it was a really weird question to me.