Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Chris Chandler's Games > Epicureans

Unread 15th of October, 2008, 01:53
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Member: #2781
Good girl! That gamble was worth it. Even if he didn't take her hand, I think that was a step. I wouldn't see him taking her hand yet anyway, and even if she were his best friend after that blow. I smile back at OmniFrost, then turn to Malak, speaking gently, "Are you ready?"
Unread 15th of October, 2008, 02:04
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Member: #2980
Who am I?

I turn and walk east.
Unread 15th of October, 2008, 02:42
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I don't hop up on Scratch, but walk beside Malak. "I'm sure we can figure it out. Malak, let's start at the beginning. What do you mean that the ones you believe are corrupted or beseiged, exactly?" I don't want to get his hopes up with any theories til I'm sure I'm understanding this right...
Unread 15th of October, 2008, 03:28
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

I don't walk so much purposefully as much as sort of wandering aimlessly in a particular direction. My shoulders are slumped, and I seem distant. Mizuki's question hangs in the air for a bit before I actually answer.

The bow, the bones, the spirit of the Bear...they are all true. I see them here, I percieve them, and know they are true. Yet when you cast the spell, the CLEARER memories were those of my life as a farmer, and as I heeded the advice of Scratch I found myself uncovering a full bevy of memories of my life with Rua'lat - that of a farmer, not a hunter. I can see the lie in SOME of the memories, but not those shared with her.

At the same time, the memories of my life as a hunter, the wasteland around the Chalice, the death of Ambrose, they seem.....besieged, corrupted somehow. I do not know that I can explain it, except that if I were to follow the memories alone, I would believe myself a simple farmer and husband to a devoted wife.
Unread 15th of October, 2008, 04:21
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Member: #2777
I just wait as Malak continues past. "Just as I expected." I simply wait several minutes before following.
Unread 15th of October, 2008, 04:59
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

"I think that might be clearer to me, but bear with me til I'm certain I understand. Are you saying that one set of memories you knew to be true, even when you were coherent, but you could see the other set more clearly, even knowing them to be a lie?"
Unread 15th of October, 2008, 05:13
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Yes. Or perhaps that the other memories are not a lie, simply that they are not the memories I have known before, even though I know them now. And yet, I now know them clearly enough that I feel as if I have truly lived them.
Unread 15th of October, 2008, 05:40
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

"Malak, what I say may be wrong, but you might think on it to bring you clarity. I don't want to give you false hope, or wishful thinking, and I am almost afraid to say anything one way or the other, to mislead you by giving you other thoughts to think on. When your mind has been tampered with, you must take great caution to discern what is true and not. If you feel one set is true... is that your HOPE, your PREFERENCE, or is it what the clarity of the aura told you?

If you are sure it is not simply wishful thinking, but sincerely true, then think on this. My memory is unharmed, however, my true memories are not always clear. Memories are broken, jumbled, by their very nature. Is it possible that one set of memories is clearer because it is false? And the true memories are beseiged because someone wished to supplant them. By that very act, they would be beseiged and corrupted, whereas the false ones would not be.

Again, I am simply reasoning, based on how my intact memories flow. I just think you ought to contemplate that idea."
Unread 15th of October, 2008, 05:49
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

I understand, yet, the clearer memories do not include THIS.

So saying, I shapeshift - growing in size, black fur covering my body and clothes as I change form into that of a hybrid between a man and a massive Bear. No longer garbed in simple clothes, but girded for war. I wear a steel circlet about my brow, a pair of gold hoops adorn my ears, and I am armored in a shining Mithral breastplate. My waist is girded with a belt of leather studded with moonstones, and my wrists are girded with bracers as if made for War. The bow in my hand grows with me, remaining in proportion to my body, a large steel shield hangs on my back, adorned with the crest of a staff and pipes, and a smoky grey cloak hangs from my shoulders. As I do so, I roar - as if by instinct - and bellow, I am Malak of the Maklut, son of Behran and Remhan, servant of Obad-Hai, and defender of the Oerth!!

Last edited by MadDogMaddux; 15th of October, 2008 at 07:18. Reason: fergot m' shield dadgum!
Unread 15th of October, 2008, 07:10
Doombot
Spirit of the Spartan Nation [Epic]

Member: #1704
Apparently a bat is not the limit of your forms. It seems that even an entire bishopric of the Silver Flame would have their hands full with you.

I approach Malak and offer him a hand, grinning.

Well Met, Malak of the Maklut. It is good to meet the real you.
Unread 15th of October, 2008, 08:08
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Member: #2777
I can not help but laugh.
Unread 15th of October, 2008, 08:33
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Did he understand me? Well, at least he's working it out somehow to his own satisfaction. I watch the man change forms with a look of interest, and then Aros' greeting. "Good deal. See, I knew you would figure out who you are."

With that, I rifle in my pack on Scratch's side and grab my shield, and climb back aboard again.
Unread 15th of October, 2008, 08:45
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

I nod to Mizuki, Your logic is strong. If someone wages war against my memory, they would seek to corrupt the true and present something else as more perfect. Coupled with that which is concrete, and I look down to my furry arms, I believe I have what I need to press on. However, I shake my head sadly, that does nothing to alleviate the pain of separation from a woman I may have never known, yet seem to love.

Turning to Aros, I take his hand gently, You have only ever met the real me, Aros. But I am grateful for your welcome nonetheless.
Unread 16th of October, 2008, 02:32
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I settle on Scratch's back. "Onward! Now, what I want to know is, how do you know about this powerful entity? Hmmmm?"
Unread 16th of October, 2008, 03:39
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

What do you mean?
Unread 16th of October, 2008, 03:51
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

"Oh, I was talking to Scratch."
Unread 16th of October, 2008, 04:26
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

I grunt, and lope onward, pulling ahead of the others simply by virtue of my size.
Unread 16th of October, 2008, 05:10
Doombot

I move along with the group, keeping pace easily with Malak, and even with Scratch. I feel at home walking: I did my fair share of it back before I came here, and I'm quite good at it. Falling back into an easy stride, I put my fractured mind to work on what has happened in the past few days.
Unread 16th of October, 2008, 23:33
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

Member: #1475
The dunes heat up in very short order. There is little wind today, so the sky is clear yet again, the small crescent moon still high in the quickly lightening sky. The group is walking toward the enormous red giant creeping up the sky and, while this sun is not tremendously bright, the heat is brutal. The group, as a whole, is pretty well adapted to the heat, but it is still tough. The dunes pose only a moderate issue, as well, so, even though there is active conversation, the four of you make very good time.

Entity? Oh you mean the being that affected all of us? Why would I not have been affected, as well? Am I immune to crazy power monger powers or something? I wish. That thing has me hopping back and forth between here and some river valley with papyrus rushes and flooded rice fields and folks making mud bricks and no you. In fact, if you weren't here right now, I'm worried I'd be acting a bit like Furball here.

She gives a toothy smile, with no malice behind it, to Malak, and gives him a friendly flick of sand with her tail.

Were you born an Ursa or... was... it an affliction?

((I'll move about four hours into the trip once this particular conversation has run its course.))

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!

Last edited by Chris Chandler; 16th of October, 2008 at 23:35. Reason: awesome grammar is me
Unread 17th of October, 2008, 02:03
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

The sand showers me, and at first I start, but then turn to see Scratch's toothy grin, and can't help but laugh. At the deepest of my heart, I love to play. My entire clan are, as you call them, Ursa. Lycanthropes by birth - we walk in the path and spirit of the Bear, and the Bear grants us his strength to overcome evil. My father, Behran, was one of my clan's mightiest warriors. As I mention my father, my face and eyes radiate first with great pride, and then a shadow of sadness, He was...assassinated when I was a cub.
Unread 17th of October, 2008, 11:23
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I've nothing to say to that, and it seems an awkward time to say anything I *was* thinking of asking, so I keep riding in silence.
Unread 17th of October, 2008, 11:43
Doombot

I knew a shifter once. Not a full lycanthrope, of course, but it showed enough that he was a little sensitive about it. Had to take care that the Church wouldn't put him to the sword. Always challenging anyone who questioned his humanity. Marl, I think his name was.

I grimace and shake my head sadly.

Poor chap fell over the side of an airship during maneuvers. I told him not to take the job, but he said there was good money in it, so I let it pass.
Unread 17th of October, 2008, 12:05
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

I grunt, which is even more fitting since I now appear as part bear, Truth be, I have never faced much in the way of discrimination. But then, I have lived the majority of my life in the wilderness. I imagine that if I entered a large city in the power of the Bear, it might frighten many.

Father! The memory of your loss beseiges me again! And yet, how can this be aught but reality? Why then is my heart at war with my mind as the memory and longing for Rua'lat swirls around!

I am sorry for the fate of your friend. What exactly is a Shifter?

And yet....I have never KNOWN a woman, and surey Rua'lat has never known a werebear.

Last edited by MadDogMaddux; 17th of October, 2008 at 14:35.
Unread 17th of October, 2008, 14:09
Doombot

You do not have shifters where you are from? They are a people who, although mostly human, can trace some of their lineage back to a lycanthrope. While not able to assume the 'power' of a creature, they can alter themselves to become more beast-like. Long fangs, sharp claws, thick hide, and all that.

I look Malak over appraisingly, as if using him as a comparison to Marl.

Also unlike yourself, many shifters have a hint -- or more than a hint -- of their bestial nature about them. It makes them all the more appealing for the Silver Flame movement, which seeks to eliminate lycanthropes and shifters from Eberron. Never cared for them much myself, but that's neither here nor there.
Unread 17th of October, 2008, 14:31
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Again I find myself returning to the concrete. But can I not be deceived in my perception of the concrete as well?

You have a religious movement based on the persecution of lycanthropes?

There must be SOME way to clear my head! I cannot endure these conflicting two lives! It takes so much effort to push out the one, even when I can glance down and SEE the fur on my arms!

I shake my head and grunt, continuing to lope along in hybrid form.

And Mizuki cast SOME spell that changed things...somehow. Yet it made things both clearer and more muddied.

Strange.

What sort of being would be so powerful as to be at war for my thoughts and WINNING save a god? And who is this man posing as Obad-Hai, and why?

Last edited by MadDogMaddux; 17th of October, 2008 at 14:39.