Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Dirigible's Games > The Centinels

Unread 13th of March, 2005, 16:43
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

Member: #449
New game idea

So, here's an idea I just had.

We start a new game, putting under someone's folder for convenience's sake. Each of us creates a character, and we then take turns playing the game with a rotating GM. Yes, that's right, we rig up the unlucky sod's chair on a giant sprinning blade...

Err, no. I mean that, for each Issue/Chapter one of us takes the reigns as GM, and his/her character is set aside for the time being, going off on a separate adventure, or being kidnapped to serve as a McGuffin, or what have you. Next Issue, someone else takes over.

Think about it. All the wide-ranging, multi-GM input advantages of a freeform game, with the unchaos of a regular game! A mutually created world, piece by piece, thanks to all the great imaginations in this game!

Is this floating anyone's boat?

Last edited by Dirigible; 13th of March, 2005 at 16:46.
Unread 13th of March, 2005, 17:11
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #152
You wouldn't want to include me in it; for some reason, every game I tried to launch here tanked.
Unread 13th of March, 2005, 17:14
Kaos
Ghast

Member: #541
Sounds like a blast, although I must warn you my GM skills have probably gotten quite rusty.
Unread 13th of March, 2005, 17:22
Chronaltap
Ghoul

Member: #525
Could be very entertaining... I am intrigued by this notion. I'd definitely be up for it.
Unread 13th of March, 2005, 18:42
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

“ You wouldn't want to include me in it; for some reason, every game I tried to launch here tanked. ”
Well, if we start off with some of the others GMing for a few issues, then sort of sneak you in, the game will be so well established that sheer inertia will carry it on
Unread 13th of March, 2005, 19:51
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
Apologies for popping up in here uninvited, but I'd like to mention that in the long long ago we tried this idea with D&D.

It was a great idea but it died before a full roation was managed, this was largely due to a player crop half of which were unhappy about DMing and the sense that there simply was no plot.

So yes, best of luck, as it really is a good idea
Unread 14th of March, 2005, 04:29
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

Bah, away with your negativity, valliard!
Unread 14th of March, 2005, 06:51
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
It's an interesting concept. As I recall, I was part of that original ill-fated attempt at multiple DMing (or DMG Swapping as it was known in our circle of RPG swingers). It survived the first changing of the guard and that was it.

Still, if you've got committed participants, I could see it happening.
Unread 14th of March, 2005, 11:53
GusPorterhouse
Vampire Spawn

Member: #561
Howdy, BigRed. Haven't seen you in a while.

As Cads and BRR have pointed out, it depends on the participants. Considering the general rate of turnover in pbp games, I'd say our roster is nigh-invulnerable and that the commitment is there. We solid, as they say. I'm definitely up for the idea and I'll commit to participation, inasmuch as my time will allow. There are some difficulties to consider, such as the fact that we all probably have quite different styles, and we'll have to keep those in mind. Bracing continuity is probably next to impossible; the adventures should probably be thought of and kept episodic. Beyond that:

--we should settle on a power level and tone. I'd like to do something with some power behind it, PL12 or higher and a little bit more four-color (no complaints, that's just become my style of late.)

--A universally available setting should be adapted; either Freedom City or a familiar & easily improvised setting, such as mainstream Marvel continuity.

--We should make efforts to keep the party balanced, so that the loss of a single member for any given adventure isn't crippling. This starts in chargen, and PC's should be well-rounded and versatile as opposed to specializing purely in their niche.

That's all I can think of right now. I can't volunteer for the first shift, because I'm currently having to pull my own game out of a GM-induced bog. Once I have my kit together over there, I'll be more than happy to take my turn.
Unread 14th of March, 2005, 18:54
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

Well, okie. Let's see what we got.

Gus: In for a penny, in for a pound.
Chronaltap: In like Flynn.
Kaos: In the zone.
Dirigible: In sane in the mem brane.

Cadrius: Managed to avoid answering the question in any form.
LonePally: Crisis of faith!

You two guys, let us know what you decide.

“ --we should settle on a power level and tone... ”
I agree. I'm all up for high power four-colour nipple shining.

“ --A universally available setting should be adapted; either Freedom City or a familiar & easily improvised setting, such as mainstream Marvel continuity. ”
Eh. This, not so much. I don't usually like using published campaign settings (well, except Birthright and Midnight). Especially not such hackneyed ones as FC or Marvel. I'd rather we come up with one of our own, collaborativly creating it piece by piece.

“ --We should make efforts to keep the party balanced... ”
That seems reasonable.

Anyway, as I'm sure you might have guessed by now, I'm hardly one to come to the table sans-ideas. Here's my suggestion for a framework for the game...

“ The Primacy
An episodic adventure in wide-screen, high power superheroics, in the style of the Justice League of America or the Authority. A four-colour game, but without the native silliness or naivety of the Gold or Silver ages.

The PCs are the Primacy: the first, last and best line of defence for the Earth. At PL 12-15, they are forces to be reckoned with: global climate patterns, the political futures of nations, the fates of armies, the very forces of the cosmos are in the palms of their hands. They have powers of great scope, whether that be energy blasts of vast area or the ability to heal thousands at once.

But the foes they face are of equal magnitude: alien warfleets, primal gods and demonic prophecies of Ragnarok, entire rogue nations and sky-darkening legions of supervillains are their adversaries.

There are difficulties just as severe as the latest planet-eating blackhole or doomsday monster, though. How do you maintian a personal life, when the world expects yo to save it every other week?

The Primacy operates a network of Embassies, offices built in major cities across the world for public relations, communications and global situation monitoring. Each Embassy has a teleportational gateway to the Hub, the Primacy's headquarters; the difficulty is, no-one, not even the heroes, knows where exactly the Hub is, or who built it. It might be under the surface of the Earth, in an asteroid, or floating invisibly above the Pacific ocean.
”
Unread 14th of March, 2005, 23:41
Cadrius

“ Cadrius: Managed to avoid answering the question in any form. ”
It's what I do best.
Unread 14th of March, 2005, 23:50
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Member: #512
“ Originally Posted by LonePaladin You wouldn't want to include me in it; for some reason, every game I tried to launch here tanked. ”
There's still hope!

They're not dead, just sleeping...
Unread 14th of March, 2005, 23:50
Cadrius

Okay, a real answer.

I'm leery.

It isn't a worry of longjevity or quality of players. I'm concerned that I simply cannot craft a compelling chapter in a superhero game. I should be able to. I mean, I read comics all the time as a kid and still love the whole hero genre today. Yet every time I attempt to sit down and devise something, my mind draws one of two things: 1. A blank. 2. A shamefully ripped off plot. Neither of which satisfies me.

Maybe you should add "Crisis of faith" next to my name as well.
Unread 15th of March, 2005, 01:22
Cadrius

Of course as soon as I finished posting that, I got an idea. Bloody hell. I'm still not all that familiar with higher PL games. Most of my M&M experience has come from below 10.
Unread 15th of March, 2005, 07:13
Kaos
Ghast

Member: #541
“ Originally Posted by Cadrius It isn't a worry of longjevity or quality of players. I'm concerned that I simply cannot craft a compelling chapter in a superhero game. I should be able to. I mean, I read comics all the time as a kid and still love the whole hero genre today. Yet every time I attempt to sit down and devise something, my mind draws one of two things: 1. A blank. 2. A shamefully ripped off plot. Neither of which satisfies me. ”
I'm in the same boat you are, its been a long time since I have GMed and with the quality of writing that is displayed here makes me wonder if I will be able to measure up.

But then how can you become better unless you challenge yourself
Unread 15th of March, 2005, 09:16
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Okay, you want something official from me? I won't be able to help. I have absolutely no access to the M&M rules, and the things I'd come up with would be overly biased by the superhero rules that I DO know. Count me in as a lurker, but I can't go past that.
Unread 15th of March, 2005, 11:50
GusPorterhouse
Vampire Spawn

Member: #561
Cads: I go through the same thing every time I start an adventure. I have shamelessly ripped off everything I could get my hands on, and have learned a lesson: it's not the what, it's the how. Granted, none of us are Mark Millar, Garth Ennis, Joss Whedon, or Owain Abramczyk, but the point is that we're all here for the same purpose. Generally, all that's essential is to get the ball rolling and keep it going. Good players, and I think everyone here counts, will try to give as much as they get.

Kaos: Ditto.

LP: Hey there--you got some serious buckin' up to do, chum. Would you still be interested in at least playing, then?
Unread 15th of March, 2005, 12:50
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

"Buckin' up"? On MY budget? I just recently had to sell all of my D&D books. Anyway, I appreciate the vote of confidence; I'll consider playing, but I'll want to see the background info and such first. Not to mention coming up with a plausible concept.
Unread 15th of March, 2005, 13:12
Cadrius

Giving Blimpie praise will only make him even more insufferable. I strongly advise against it.
Unread 15th of March, 2005, 13:48
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

“ Granted, none of us are Mark Millar, Garth Ennis, Joss Whedon, or Owain Abramczyk ”
That's true. Even I'm not.

LP, I think we'd all be cool if you just want to play and not take a turn on the Seat of Evil.
Unread 15th of March, 2005, 13:53
Cadrius

Are you or are you not the man in question, Mister A-bram-chick?
Unread 15th of March, 2005, 14:09
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

It's true! I am, in fact, the bearer of the most handsome name on that list.

OK, so I guess we'd better decide what sort of game we want..

High/Low PL?
Tight Metaplot
(one that provides a strong focus and antagonists, eg, we're all escapees from the same goverment experiment) or Loose Metaplot? (eg, we're just part of the same superteam)
Premade or Custom Setting?
Aliens? Magic? Elder Gods? Time Travel? Multiversal Dimensions?

...and I'm sure we can think up many more aspects to consider.
Unread 15th of March, 2005, 16:09
Chronaltap
Ghoul

Member: #525
Oooohh... I don't think I could sufficiently run a supers game without the possibility of Elder Gods eating the Empire state building or the players getting shunted to another world just for kicks... So I'm going to say I definitely want those in.
I'm kinda in favor of the setting getting cobbled together as we go along each from our own GM perspectives.
I myself am in favor of high PL's cause they're just nifty...
And as for Metaplot... that would be rough to manage with a round robin style of GM'ing.. so I'm thinking loose would be the easiest way to go.
Unread 15th of March, 2005, 16:36
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

I agree, Chronal. Though I think, as a general guideline, we should work to keep the alternate dimensions, time travel and tentacles from dominating the mood too much.
Unread 16th of March, 2005, 03:15
Cadrius

But...but...I wanted my progeny from alternate timelines and dimensions to show up and ask for money! That's a story arc if I ever saw one!