Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > David's Games > Kingdom of Danleb

Unread 3rd of March, 2009, 16:44
GeekEclectic
Zombie

Member: #1978
Are they naked? I think you just assumed that because he didn't post pics of their outfits.
Unread 3rd of March, 2009, 17:06
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #2780
Originally Posted by GeekEclectic # Are they naked? I think you just assumed that because he didn't post pics of their outfits.
I actually assumed it because he said they don't wear anything besides their piercings and decorations.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Unread 4th of March, 2009, 03:34
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Member: #3238
Yes, I was refering to them, and yes they are mostly naked, some entirly so.
Unread 4th of March, 2009, 06:38
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #2780
I was kind of expecting something different for a first post. I don't know why my character is in this town, so I'm just going to assume he's on his way back to the city to meet his family again for the first time.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Unread 5th of March, 2009, 10:25
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Member: #682
Some things have come up RT and I got my pc mostly on paper, but haven't had a chance to type her up. So my pc won't be ready until this weekend.
Unread 17th of March, 2009, 09:57
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Lando The Archmagi: No problem, I have been there before.
5Solas: Any ideas for your character yet? Or would you like some suggestions?
Unread 17th of March, 2009, 09:57
5Solas
Ghoul

Member: #7474
Alright...here and ready to work.
Unread 17th of March, 2009, 09:58
5Solas
Ghoul

Well, I was browsing through the history of the land and was thinking perhaps a churchman (true believer) that is skilled at herbalism and healing (actual doctor-type skills). This is just a complete wag, though. Thoughts?
Unread 17th of March, 2009, 10:01
5Solas
Ghoul

Also, if it would make things easier, we could use either the chat client in the forum, Skype, or AIM.
Unread 17th of March, 2009, 10:22
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Member: #7429
No burning of the Demon-Knight!

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Unread 17th of March, 2009, 10:23
5Solas
Ghoul

Hehe...just hope that it rains. Alot.
Unread 17th of March, 2009, 10:35
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Member: #7429
Hah.

I sense a rivalry in the offing.

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Unread 17th of March, 2009, 10:48
5Solas
Ghoul

I'll expound a bit now that I've read through the other character creation posts and getting a bit more of a flavor for what's going on (sorry for all the multiple posts, as well):

Khamisi is a Zehir tribesman from Corinth that, up until recently, had been the town's Low Priest and tender of the local shrine. After an embarrasing event, he was banished from the town by the church (though not the people, as they saw his advancement as a victory for both the Danleb and Zahir peoples) and has wandered since.

Brief History: Growing up in the tribe, he excelled at basic medicine and quickly became the imgai (apprentice) of the tribal witchdoctor. After several years of tutelage, hunting, and defending the flocks, he passed through his trial to adulthood and was given the task to travel into Corinth for water and to barter for bronze ingots and various medicinal supplies. When he arrived, he was awed by the city and its peoples. Upon reaching the city center, he bagan bartering. After he was done, he took a different route back and as he passed the shrine, he looked upon it and was struck blind and mute by a divine flash of light. This lasted for three days as he waited for a further sign. After receiving none, he was suddenly restored as the low priest of that time touched him gently on the shoulder. From then on, he forsook his tribe and dedicated his life to the church and its mission, always in search of pleasing and experiencing the blessing of Maica.

Weapon Skills:
Spear, Javelin, Sling, Knife
Medical Skills: Herbalism, Bandaging, Wound Care, Minor Surgery
Divine Skills: Piety, Meditation/Prayer

Strength: Less than Average/Average (Lithe, though quick on his feet)
IQ: Above Average
Health: Average
Build: Skinny (Agile & Nimble)
Appearance: Less than Average/Average (somewhat potmarked cheeks) + Wise, very dark complexion with jet black hair and eyes.
Truthfulness: Very
Honest: Very
Killing: A necessary evil, though avoided if possible. Justified in defense/honor
Causing Emotional Harm: A sin
Emotional State: Very even tempered
Time with Others: Enjoy it
Understanding Emotions: Quite good at it
Code Following: That of Maica, much like the Hippocratic Oath (Do no Harm)
Bravery: Above Average
Mental Issues: Tries to help no matter the situation.
Greed/Generosity: Generous (time, money, etc)
Sharp/Dull Senses: Dull voice (soft and somewhat scratchy...not a sense, I know)
Physical Disabilities: His vision is still recovering from the incident (2+ years ago) and as such his night vision suffers somewhat but continues to get better though at a much slower pace than he would rather.

----

Just a few initial thoughts. Let me know what you think and if you have any questions. I can flesh things out quite a bit if you need me to as well.

Last edited by 5Solas; 17th of March, 2009 at 10:49. Reason: Spelling and General Composition (repeated words)
Unread 17th of March, 2009, 11:09
5Solas
Ghoul

All a little friendly competition, Vortigern. We can't have everything TOO simple.
Unread 18th of March, 2009, 06:46
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

5Solas: looks good, I'll have a few questions for you soon.
Unread 18th of March, 2009, 06:46
5Solas
Ghoul

No problem...I'm quite flexible.
Unread 22nd of March, 2009, 03:55
Captain Dirtbag
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #7478
Checking in

How many points are we using to make characters?

I haven't played Gurps in a few years, so bear with me if this takes me a while to remember how to play.
Unread 22nd of March, 2009, 04:15
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Characters are 200 pt with up to 100 pt of disadvantages. I am using GURPS 4th ed. I have been building most of the characters myself, using a question and answer approach with the players.
Do you have any ideas as to what you would like to play? Or would you like some suggestions?
Unread 22nd of March, 2009, 04:18
Captain Dirtbag
Unanimated Corpse

Suggestions would be useful if you have some roles that need to be filled. I do have a few ideas in my head but I'm not really set on anything specific.

Hmm...I'll have to see if I can find a copy of 4th, I only have the 3rd edition rules.

I'll be back online later tonight, have to head to work

FYI - I'm a commercial pilot so sometimes my posting will be at bizarre times (I do alot of cross-pacific flights). Thankfully today I'm just doing Vancouver - Vegas.

Last edited by Captain Dirtbag; 22nd of March, 2009 at 04:21.
Unread 22nd of March, 2009, 09:26
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

General types of characters appropriate to this campaign (not exhaustive):
  1. Combatants, whether former soldiers, mercenaries, knights, archers, etc.
  2. Healers, Doctors, etc.
  3. Magicians. There are not many, and most people do not believe in them, but there are few real magicians out there.
  4. Thieves, scouts, etc.
  5. Diplomats, Con men, etc.
At present there are two combatants, a diplomat, and soon to join the party a healer. There is no dedicated spell caster, and no thief/scout type.

I encourage discussing your character here, however if you would prefer to use the private thread for some or all of the dicussion I have no problem with that.
Unread 22nd of March, 2009, 10:05
Captain Dirtbag
Unanimated Corpse

Hmm...how does spellcasting work in Gurps? I've never played a spellcaster with this system. Is it just like skills, just rolling under a specific rating to cast a spell? (Only played 1 Gurps campaign and I was a warrior, not that interested in playing that role again).

The link you posted to spell lists shows how much a spell costs to cast, so how many power points do spellcasters typically have available to use?
Unread 22nd of March, 2009, 12:51
GeekEclectic
Zombie

It is skill-based. To learn a spell, you have to meet prerequisites. Either have a certain level of magery, certain other spells(sometimes at a particular level, but not always), and in rare cases other advantages(animal empathy for some animal school spells, for example). It can get overwhelming, so my suggestion -- if you have the book -- is to only focus on the spells in the school(s) that you're interested in.

To cast spells, yes, you roll like with any other skill, and hope to roll under. You also have to expend a certain amount of fatigue points(or energy reserve points, if you've purchased any). Some spells are one-off effects. Some can be maintained for multiple rounds if you continue to pay a price -- usually less than it initially costs to cast the spell. Having a spell at a high level(16, 21, 26, and so on adding +5 each time) reduces the spell's fatigue cost, maintenance cost(if applicable), and casting time necessary.

Casting a spell while already maintaining another spell(even if it costs 0 to maintain due to high skill level) has a penalty attached to it. I'm not sure how steep it is, though.

Oh, and there are items -- stones -- that hold a certain number of power points. These stones can be used instead of your own fatigue or energy reserve in a pinch, but they're expensive and they take a long time to recharge. They're better as emergency items. That's assuming they exist in this setting.
Unread 22nd of March, 2009, 13:08
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

That is all correct.

In addition, there are several different kinds of spell casters in this setting.
The primary one open to players at the moment is an innate caster somewhat similar to a Sorcerer in D&D. They have one or more colleges of magic from which they can draw spells. The more colleges they have access to, the more expensive their basic Magery is. They can not be taught spells, but they have a much easier time of it when they try to figure out a new spell for themselves.
Otherwise their casting works much the same as the other caster types. They follow all of the rules GeekEclectic listed. They are rare, but there are some out there.

A caster can pay the Energy cost with Fatigue points or Hit Points. Most casters are going to have from 7-15 Fatigue points. Some may have as high as 20 or more, but that is rare.
You get Fatigue points equal to your HT (HP are now connected to ST, and FP to HT) You can buy your FP up to 30% above your HT.

Last edited by David; 22nd of March, 2009 at 13:13.
Unread 22nd of March, 2009, 14:30
Captain Dirtbag
Unanimated Corpse

Alrighty, I'll do a spell caster but I have a few more questions:

Magery - how much does it cost? Some of the spells I'm looking at say Magery 2 is required. I'm thinking of going with 2 colleges, so how much will that cost? How much does it cost for just 1 college?

The Lite PDF doesn't list the character point costs for spells, so how do I work out the cost of them?

Some spells say they affect an area but don't specify how big of an area - so what size is an area? (i.e. Rain of Stones).

Next question, some spells in that PDF mention something like this: This spell has 1⁄2D 40, Max 80, Acc 2.

I'm guessing Acc 2 means Accuracy, so it gives +2 on the attack roll, but what does the rest of that mean? (That specific text was taken from Stone Missile).

Edit: How can you get more power to cast some of this stuff? For example, most of the stuff from the Enchantment college cost 100+ power. But if we're looking at say 10-12 Fatigue and 10-12 Hit Points, that's 24 power roughly at the start. Do these power stone things give you the ability to suck up 80+ power to use? What other ways are there to get more power for casting? (I'm not actually interested in the Enchant college, but there are others that cost a really steep amount of power to cast).

Last edited by Captain Dirtbag; 22nd of March, 2009 at 14:33.
Unread 22nd of March, 2009, 14:48
GeekEclectic
Zombie

Magery 0 is 5 points, and every level after that(1, 2, 3, etc.) costs 10 points. Being a 1-college or 2-college mage means you'll get a discount, but I don't have my book on me so can't tell you off the top of my head.

Most spells are considered hard skills. Some are considered very hard, but those are specifically mentioned in the spell description. They are based on IQ, so follow the chart for purchasing IQ skills. Once you've bought your levels based on IQ, you then add your level of magery to the final skill level of all your spells.

I'm going to skip the next couple Q's 'cuz I'm not prepared to answer them without my book.

Enchantment college is special. Those are not one-off spells like most of the spells in the other colleges. Those are intended to be accomplished over the course of days(if not weeks or months). You can do it either slow and steady, which takes forever(and puts you out of commission for like 8+ hours of the day while enchanting). Or you can do it quick and dirty, which still might take a while and has a not-insignificant chance of failure.

And there are 3 ways to get more power. Fatigue points -- which david already explained. Power stones can give you tons of points to spend if you have a really powerful one(or multiple smaller stones), but they're not cheap. And I'm not sure if he's allowing it, but energy reserve is 3 character points per point of energy reserve. Those points can only be used for your powers(in this case spells), not for anything else fatigue points are also used for.