Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > EBNall's Games > Marvel: The Irregulars > Volume One: Origins

Unread 11th of February, 2011, 02:52
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

Member: #9095
Issue #3: Blitz.

New York,New York. The City of Heroes. This is the place where heroes are made and villans are unmade. This is where Spider-Man got bitten by a radioactive spider,where Daredevil brings justice to Hell's Kitchen,where Iron Fist and Luke Cage right wrongs. But today,true believers,our attentions do not focus on them, but rather on a normal human being:Ezekiel Anderson, son of Jennifer and Mark Anderson.

Living near the poverty line and in the shadow of his athletic brother Mark Jr.,Zeke's only comfort was his mother and the oddjobs he was doing around town to support his family and escape the common household disputes. And on this,today would be no different.

Zeke's parents had been talking. Screaming at each other again,about the usual things. But today,Mark senior was especially hard on Zeke, whom he wished was more of a hope for success.

"Jenny,i cant help it if Junior is an NFL hopeful and Zeke is a wimp! Its a reality! What good can the kid bring to the family if he's got no meat on his bones,huh?",said Mark the First.

"Dont you dare talk about your son like this,Mark. You know he's doing his best.",said Jennifer,always supportive of her son.
Unread 11th of February, 2011, 09:54
Haraphen
Ghoul

Member: #7958
Zeke Stood still i the hallway trying to stifle his breath. He’d just gotten back from helping clean some public buildings and clasped in his hand an envelope with $100, his whole weeks pay, in his hand. He was covered in grime from scrubbing graffiti and tho it made his skin itch he stood perfectly still. Any move might bring his dads attention. It was one thing when they argued about him. it was another when they argued threw him.
Unread 11th of February, 2011, 11:58
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

"Yeah,well his best isnt enough.",replied his father. "The kid needs to find a vocation other than cleaning after people. That what you want,Jenny? That your son be known as a world-class janitor?"

"I'd rather he be a janitor than a proud zealot who sees no good in the most basic of kindnesses...",Jennifer replied.

"Kindness dont put food on the table,money does. That's the truth.",his father said. Jenny stood speechless after that argument. In some way,Mark Senior was right,but she wouldnt tell Zeke that. In her mind,Zeke had more heart than many other kids in New York. Nothing would change that. At that moment,Mark the Second came thru the door.

Mark Anderson II may have been an athletic powerhouse, but he's always,without fault,watched out for Zeke.

"Hey! If it aint my little do-gooder of a brother! How was your day?",said Mark to his brother,ruffling his hair amicably.
Unread 11th of February, 2011, 19:06
Haraphen
Ghoul

Zeke smiled slightly and gave a soft chuckle. “I’m good Mark.” He raised the envelope to show his brother. “Walls clean. Got paid. The next job they said had something to do with a church.” His smile faded and he craned a neck to try adn see his parents. “How long have they been at it?”
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 02:16
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

Mark lowered his head and shook it in exasperation. "Ever since you left. First thing mom did when you passed the door was praise you efforts, then dad got all "realistic thinking" with her. You wanna know my opinion? Every lil bit helps. Heck maybe the big man upstairs gonna smile on you for cleaning his pad,know what i'm saying?"

He then gave a small friendly push on his brother's chest. "One of these days,you'll shut dad up,and you and me and mom will be proud of you. Just wait and see."
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 03:34
Haraphen
Ghoul

Zeke raised crossed fingers and waved them ion the air. “Sooner rather then later please. But it really doesn't get to me.” It was a lie and a very bad one. “Besides we all have to worry more about you. When you make the big leagues everything will get better.” Zeke looked down at his clothes “I best get changed and have a wash before dad thinks I'm tracking dirt in.” Zeke nodded at his brother then made a quick bolt for his room hoping to get there before either his parents noticed.

Last edited by Haraphen; 12th of February, 2011 at 03:43.
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 04:46
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

Zeks was quick enough to escape his parents notice and entered his room. It was as he left it. The laundry having been done the day before, his drawers were filled with clean clothes.

Downstairs,the nagging seemed to have calmed down, no doubt because of Mark II's intervention. All that was left was to change clothes and face the music.
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 08:49
Haraphen
Ghoul

Zeke Quickly got changed and scrubbed at his face and arms with a towel trying ot get as much of the paint and grime from the day gone. Once he was done his eyes wandered out the window, to the fire escape. A route mark had used on some nights to sneak out of the house. He had never dared but was often tempted. He evicted the thought form his mind and with his weeks pay in hand he went down stairs to his parents. With a meek voice he spoke out. “Hey guys I’m back.”
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 08:54
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

Jenny smiled at the sight of her young boy coming home from work. "Welcome back dear,how was your--" But she was interrupted.

"Whatcha got there?",said Mark the First,pointing at the envellope Zeke was holding.
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 09:01
Haraphen
Ghoul

Zeke smiled at his mother his soft under spoken smile but it vanished when his father broke in. He handed the envelope to his father. “It’s my weeks pay. I’m finished with the cleaning job. They are talking about more work at a nearby church. I told them to contact me when they get the details.”
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 09:14
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

His father opened the envellope. "Heh....just like i said. Boy brings home pittance."

"Pittance? He's busted his ass for a whole week for that money,dad!",his brother defended him.

"And that should be an indication for him to get a better job! A hundred a week dont pay the bills. Heck,its not even minimum wage,people usually get that per day.",said the father.

"All in good time...Zeke is still a growing boy...and i'm proud of what he's doing.",his mother said. She then moved towards Zeke to hug him closely and protectively.
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 09:30
Haraphen
Ghoul

Zeke just stood still when his mother embraced him. Inside a voice screamed “Why so you could spend all that money on drink too!” but he didn't say it. He ground his teeth. “It's all i can get and go to school. It’s community work too. I’m making where we live better.”
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 09:51
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

"Not by much.",said Dad,being downright rude.

"Zeke...let's go somewhere.",said Mark Jr,who had just about enough of squabbles and wanted to speak to his brother in peace and private.
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 09:57
Haraphen
Ghoul

Zeke felt numb. Numb and cold. all he wanted was to shout and scream and force his father to seem him as something worthwhile. But that wasn’t happening and Zeke just didn't have the voice to speak out. “Sure Mark. Sure” He stared at the floor between his feet as he followed his brother away.
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 10:10
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

Mark took Zeke for a walk around the neighborhood. Nothing bad was going on at the moment,so it was pretty peaceful.

"Hey Zeke...dad keeps saying i'll be swimming in cash once i hit the NFL ranks. Well you know what i'm gonna do with it? I have a mind to take care of you,me and mom. I also got a mind to let my old man rot for all the shit he puts you thru...teach em some humility and respect. How does that sound to you?"
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 10:22
Haraphen
Ghoul

Zeke had stayed mostly silent the whole trip staring at the pavement or at the clouds in the sky but never at his brother. He had tears in his eyes but he didn't want to show them. When Mark asked his question Zeke took a second to think on it. “I think that would be a bad idea. Someone has to look after him.” Zeke looked down one turn off to a white pristine wall around a kindergarten. “That's the wall I've been working on all week. Looks pretty good huh? Took alot of work and patience. but it was worth it.” He smiled at his handiwork.
Unread 12th of February, 2011, 10:57
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

"That's really good work,man. I'd say you as underpaid as i will be overpaid." Mark nodded in appreciation.
Unread 14th of February, 2011, 02:30
Haraphen
Ghoul

Zeke seemed to zone out and not notice Marks comment. When snapped two he spoke up with excitment. "When's youre next game? Maybe we can all come watch you win another."
Unread 14th of February, 2011, 07:11
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

"Next game is about two weeks from now, season finale. Already got tickets,even for dad. Gotta give the man an occasion to rejoice after all.",said Mark.
Unread 14th of February, 2011, 08:27
Haraphen
Ghoul

Zeke smilled being honestly excited to watch his brother win the big game. "So what now Mark? Lead on oh fearless leader"
Unread 14th of February, 2011, 09:59
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

Mark chuckled. "Fearless leader? You act like i'm Captain America or something. I'm just captain of my team,that's all. Maybe we should go home and sleep on things,get today behind us, what do you think?"
Unread 14th of February, 2011, 10:05
Haraphen
Ghoul

Zeke yawned at the thought of bed, it had been a long tiring day physicly adn emotionaly. "Sounds like a plan. Race ya!" and before he finished the sentacne he was runnign full pelt home. He knew he wouldnt win but that wasnt the fun for him.
Unread 14th of February, 2011, 10:17
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

Mark, being a quarterback and trained runner,caught up to him quickly, but didnt pass him,so as to keep his brother's spirits up. The race ends up being an amicable draw. "Not too bad,bro! Couple more miles of training and you might become good some day. C'mon. Early day in the house of god,tomorrow."
Unread 15th of February, 2011, 09:21
Haraphen
Ghoul

Zeke laughed and shook his head. "People who keep making jokes about the lord usually reap what they sow brother." When they got inside Zeke made a B line for his room. "Gnight Mark." He said in a hushed voice as he made his way to his room and straight to bed.
Unread 15th of February, 2011, 10:18
EBNall
Skeleton [GM]

The night passed without further incident and the sun rose up on a beautiful day. Mom and Dad ate breakfast and went to work, while Mark went to football practice.

Last edited by EBNall; 15th of February, 2011 at 11:06.