Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Lando The Archmagi's Games > Conan: The Throne of Blood

Unread 22nd of June, 2004, 11:58
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Member: #682
OOC Thread

This will be for discussion of the Conan RPG, the Conan books/stories and of course just out of game chat too.

Please feel free to ask questions here too or email them if needed.

"Crom!"
Lando The Archmagi
landothearchmage@comcast.net
Unread 23rd of June, 2004, 13:29
Arkobla Conn
Skeleton

Member: #786
Intro

Hi all - My name is Rich - and I'm from Pennslyvannia. I've been Role playing for 25+ years and have run some online games before. I was the founder of an online/email game called iMagi - an Ars Magica Game - that flourished for about 5 years before life took it's toll.

I'm looking forward to playing again - and thank everyone who voted for the forum style. I can't dedicate an entire night to the OpenRPG right now, but I really wanted to get into the flavor of playing Conan RPG. As a Zamoran, I'm not playing my typical style of character - but that's good too.

I want to warn everyone that I'm off to Origins this week, so I won't be as communicative as I'd like. I've posted and will try to check here via my laptop at the end of the days - but conventions can get pretty long.

(If I don't have good access, assume I'll play it safe until it's clear what's going on and then I'll support the group)

See you in Hyboria!
Unread 24th of June, 2004, 11:35
Arkobla Conn
Skeleton

Next question - You asked one of the players to 'perform' a spot check. How would he go about doing that??
Unread 24th of June, 2004, 11:49
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

“ Originally Posted by Arkobla Conn I'm looking forward to playing again - and thank everyone who voted for the forum style. I can't dedicate an entire night to the OpenRPG right now, but I really wanted to get into the flavor of playing Conan RPG. As a Zamoran, I'm not playing my typical style of character - but that's good too.

I want to warn everyone that I'm off to Origins this week, so I won't be as communicative as I'd like. I've posted and will try to check here via my laptop at the end of the days - but conventions can get pretty long.
”
Hey Rich, I too have been playing D&D/AD&D since 1979 and expanded to have over 30 RPGs now after two and a half decades. I'm a tournament RPG judge for Dragon*Con and will be running this Conan game there this year.

http://www.dragoncon.org

Have fun at Origins. I've run many online games (OpenRPG) and some on message boards previously. This is a first on this board and hopefully it'll go well. I'm playing in a Mage game here so visit this site nearly daily. Might end up using the dice roller in OpenRPG as I thought there was one with this message board, but can't find it. I know there are some other dice rollers available too. Guess I need to talk with some of the long time GMs here.
Unread 24th of June, 2004, 11:51
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Dice Rolling

“ Originally Posted by Arkobla Conn Next question - You asked one of the players to 'perform' a spot check. How would he go about doing that?? ”
I would use the Dice roller on OpenRPG and cut/paste it to here. (you can view the chatlog and cut/paste it from it), but I will check on the die roller this board is suppose to have and see if I can get any more info on that.

Lando
Unread 24th of June, 2004, 14:18
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

Member: #787
cool, it works

http://www.rpghost.com/dicer.shtml

so we just cut and paste, should we put your email so the number goes to you? or just cut and paste?
Unread 24th of June, 2004, 15:35
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

cool, heres where im comming from; my name is Octavio, out of San Diego

good to be playing with old school gamers, i dont feel that out of place, not quite played 25 years but about 17, started late, was in college when a friend bought the blue box, still play every other friday with the same guys, i DM now and the guys got used to it so now no one wants to step up, no complaints i enjoy writting my own stories, but really like to play, so this is my chance

see you in Shadizar the Wicked
Unread 24th of June, 2004, 15:51
Harith
Vampire Spawn

Member: #799
Hi, all. I'm Stefan. Born and grew up and still live around San Francisco. Been playing D&D since 1982. I'm *psyched* about the Conan RPG and this opportunity to play. Aside from drawing on such great stories, it's exactly the kind of mood and world I've wanted to play in for the last couple of years.

One thing I'm curious about, which someone brought up in the main thread, is the language issue. Do all of us speak *any* common language? I happened to pick Shemitish and Kothian for my character, but I doubt everyone else has those, too. How shall we manage?

Ciao,
Stefan
Unread 24th of June, 2004, 20:19
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

DiceRoller

“ Originally Posted by Belkregos cool, it works

http://www.rpghost.com/dicer.shtml

so we just cut and paste, should we put your email so the number goes to you? or just cut and paste?
”
Yes, email it directly to me at: landothearchmage@comcast.net

Lando
Unread 25th of June, 2004, 04:09
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

Question about initiative:

When determining the total initiative do we add the dex. mod. Twice? Do you add the total reflex save (including the dex mod) or just the base ref. save?

In other words

Init. = dex + ref save (base + dex+ misc +…) + misc
Unread 25th of June, 2004, 06:42
Harith
Vampire Spawn

“ Originally Posted by Belkregos Do you add the total reflex save (including the dex mod) or just the base ref. save? ”
No. As I understand it, only the ref save base gets used:

Init = dex + ref save base + misc
Unread 25th of June, 2004, 06:57
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

thanks, that's what i thought
Unread 25th of June, 2004, 08:40
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Dice Rolls and Initiative

“ Originally Posted by Harith No. As I understand it, only the ref save base gets used:

Init = dex + ref save base + misc
”
That is how I'm using it, didn't want the double Dex thing, that's just getting silly. Of course feats can help too.

Also when you email or post dice rolls be SURE to include the actual number rolled, not the 1 d 20 + 4 = 16, I want to see the 12 +4 = 16.

thanks,

Lando
Unread 25th of June, 2004, 09:07
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

“ Originally Posted by Lando The Archmagi That is how I'm using it, didn't want the double Dex thing, that's just getting silly. Of course feats can help too.

Also when you email or post dice rolls be SURE to include the actual number rolled, not the 1 d 20 + 4 = 16, I want to see the 12 +4 = 16.

thanks,

Lando
”
Sounds good,

That is the way the dice roller auto email sends it, I can include the modifier on the extra text, or make the subtraction and type it,

The dice roller on the RPG does not show the actual number rolled, well, what ever makes it easier for you
Unread 25th of June, 2004, 09:29
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Diceroller

“ Originally Posted by Belkregos he dice roller on the RPG does not show the actual number rolled, well, what ever makes it easier for you ”
I just noticed that after trying it myself, guess its easy enough to figure out, no worries, I'll take them either way as long as its used.

Lando
Unread 25th of June, 2004, 10:13
Harith
Vampire Spawn

“ Originally Posted by Lando The Archmagi OOC: Please email these rolls, you need not post them unless you really want too. You need Precise Shot Feat to shoot into melee without penalty (-4 to hit, chance of hitting your allies). There are 4 melee actions prior to your shot, so if anyone is still standing, I'll let you resolve these rolls. Might want to wait next time. ”
I think I did email them, didn't I? Hopefully I got your address correct. Anyway, as you suggested, perhaps I won't post them in the future (though with such good rolls, it's so tempting!)....

I haven't played much combat in a PbP game, so I'm not sure, but it seems like rolling initiative and contingent rolls might speed things up (fewer turnarounds). Then if the situation changes before someone's turn, that player can change the action.
Unread 25th of June, 2004, 15:04
Arkobla Conn
Skeleton

Lando, when I started a new scene for my Ars Magica Game - I had everyone provide me 10 unmodified d20 rolls. I was then forced to check the mods, but they wouldn't necessisarily know what the rolls were for. I would sometimes use them last to first (consistently for each PC for the scene, or I'd predetermine a number to drop or drop the lowest) to provide the unknown for the player.
Unread 27th of June, 2004, 02:15
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Dierolls

“ Originally Posted by Arkobla Conn would sometimes use them last to first (consistently for each PC for the scene, or I'd predetermine a number to drop or drop the lowest) to provide the unknown for the player. ”
Nah, the system seems to be working, might need a little tweaking as its been awhile since I ran a message board game, but so far that went pretty well.

Will take that into consideration though.

Lando
Unread 30th of June, 2004, 10:04
Harith
Vampire Spawn

Language Problems

Is the overhead of our lack of a common language going to hamstring this whole thing too much? Or are we all open to giving this a go this way?
Unread 30th of June, 2004, 10:12
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

“ Originally Posted by Harith Is the overhead of our lack of a common language going to hamstring this whole thing too much? Or are we all open to giving this a go this way? ”
Suggest everyone take Zamorian. Hampered the last group that tried this adventure.

Also I got 2 openings as the 5th and 6th players appear to have dropped out before even posting or submitting pcs.
Unread 30th of June, 2004, 10:24
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

next weekend

i will be out of town next weekend, will leave friday morning, return late monday, im going backpacking so there's no way i can check masseges, belkregos will be a little cautios but will go full steam if fighting starts
got yer back!
Unread 30th of June, 2004, 10:29
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Frequency of activity

“ Originally Posted by Belkregos i will be out of town next weekend, will leave friday morning, return late monday, im going backpacking so there's no way i can check masseges, belkregos will be a little cautios but will go full steam if fighting starts
got yer back!
”
Thanks for the heads up, I don't expect to post much during the 4th either as I'll be spending time with my family.

I'm trying to give everyone at least a day to check messages before responding to the current posts (depending on what's going on of course).
Unread 2nd of July, 2004, 10:15
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Road of Kings

Got my copy today, looks very good.
Unread 2nd of July, 2004, 10:25
Belkregos
Corpse Gatherer

“ Originally Posted by Lando The Archmagi Got my copy today, looks very good. ”
yae, got mine last week, i like it!