Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Wired*Nun's Games > Back in the Black (Same Song, Second 'Verse)

Reply
Thread Tools
  #101  
Unread 8th of October, 2008, 11:03
Left-Handed Bandit's Avatar
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member: #1052
Location: Promise City
Posts: 401 (0.08 per day)
Brother Will continues to consider the current problem, and realizes that, if he puts a sleep aid in their food about half a day from arrival, they would sleep through touchdown and be groggy enough not to be a problem.

It was still somewhat unethical, but Hiram was still generally a good man trying to do right by his wife and crew and the Black Friar could more easily reconcile this with his conscience than he could wiping someone's memory.

He'll have to talk to Yusheng first, but he believes she would go along with the idea to prevent a problem.

Collecting his thoughts, Will heads out of the infirmary onto the cargo deck catwalks and winds his way up to the common area to find the proprietor's wife...
__________________
Davy Jones, CTS
Your friendly, neighborhood Navy vet

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all who threaten it!

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Unread 8th of October, 2008, 12:20
Candleman's Avatar
Candleman
Spawn of Kyuss [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member: #2004
Location: I honestly do not know.
Posts: 596 (0.14 per day)
Arthur doesn't know what would be more prudent: Stay out of sight and see what the man does, or shoo him away. His insticts take over and he steps into view, walking toward the shotgun on the wall.

"Oy! What're yeh doin' in 'ere?" He stops short of the doorway, within grabbing distance of the mounted weapon, gesticulating toward the door. "I locked tha' 'atch. How'd yeh get in?" His voice is angry, and somewhat disdainful. Like always, he's hoping to intimidate the man with words, since Arthur isn't the fighting type.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Unread 9th of October, 2008, 01:37
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
The man backs out of the engine room, holding up his hands in apology. His eyes flick to the weapon in Arthur's reach. He smiles, saying loudly over the engine noise, "Sorry, old chap, just wanted to see one of these places. Didn't know it was off-limits."

He turns and walks rapidly down the ladder to the passenger deck, dropping out of sight.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Unread 9th of October, 2008, 05:30
samirah's Avatar
samirah
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member: #961
Posts: 186 (0.04 per day)
A glance out the door sees the older man, Mr. Genning, framed in the doorway of the lounge area, wringing his hands.
Hearing a strange voice Nan Ching takes off like a blond streak. She rounds the corner, her back feet slipping and scratching on the floor. She gains her footing and her speed and makes it to the feet of Mr. Genning in 2 seconds flat.

She begins barking ferociously and darting around his feet.

Yusheng whispers to Greta, "We go in there, keep eye on him. I fix tea for passengers. You call Earl on intercom to come help take trays and Mr. Genning back to passenger level."

Yusheng steps into the corridor. Walking toward the passenger she points to the couches in the lounge. Addressing him with authority in her voice she says,"Mr. Genning you sit! I fix tea!"

"Nan Ching!!" She calls the dog off the man and continues on to the galley. Nan Ching follows obediently, laying down in a strategic spot in the galley where she can watch the unknown man and her mistress as well. She senses something in her mistress that makes her wary.

Yusheng busies herself heating water and preparing the tea tray. She watches Genning closely out of the corner of her eye while she waits for Greta to summon Earl.

Last edited by samirah; 9th of October, 2008 at 05:37.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Unread 9th of October, 2008, 05:40
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
Through the engine room hatch, Arthur can see some of this byplay, though not hear it - Mr. Genning in the entrance between the pasageway and the common area, Nan Ching, and Yusheng bustling into the area.

Both passangers out of their area at one time...Arthur's natural dour and suspicious Scots nose wonders about this.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Unread 9th of October, 2008, 08:00
Candleman's Avatar
Candleman
Spawn of Kyuss [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member: #2004
Location: I honestly do not know.
Posts: 596 (0.14 per day)
Arthur leans out of the hatch, brows furrowed. He steps inside and re-seals the hatch, locking it again. He quickly picks up the comm and buzzes for Hiram.

"Both a' them passengeh's are out n' about, Cap. One of 'em got in the engine room with meh, somehow cracked the door. I don't like it one bit."
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Unread 10th of October, 2008, 02:47
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
Mr. Genning avoids Nan Ching carefully and sits down obediently on the sofa, puttnig his hands on his knees and wiping the palms on his kneecaps nervously. "I don't really like space travel, and this ship is louder than any I've ever traveled on," he says to no one in particular. He takes out a handkerchief and blows his nose, then folds it to expose clean surfaces and begins polishing his glasses.

Hiam answers Arthur. "Lock it up tight. Spot-weld the door shut if you have to. Something is goin' on and I aim to find out what." He appears in the cargo bay a moment later, waving to Earl. "Come with me, big man. Put on yer scary face."

They walk over to the passenger deck, where they find Mr. DeNiro apparently rehearsing for a play. He has a cane in one hand, waving it like a sword at a bulkhead. "Unhand the woman, varlet! Or I shall let slip my dog of war!" he recites melodramatically. "Oh, hello Captain. Sir." He bows to the two of them, saluting with his cane. "Just rehearsing."

"All well and good. But we're burnin' hard for Bernadette, and I can't have you interferin' with my crew. So you stay on the passenger deck. Got it?" He rests his hand on the grip of his pistol, and DeNiro gulps slightly, then smiles without sincerity.

"Of course, Captain. I apologise profusely. I will be the soul of discretion from now on. Oh...did you say we were 'burning hard?' Does that mean we are going faster than normal? I'd thought so from the vibrations..."

"Yep," confirms Hiram. "We're gettin' there a bit early, save you some time."

DeNiro brightens up, responding, "That's wonderful. I'll have more time to rehearse at the venue, and enjoy the female company. Now, if you'll excuse me..." He turns away, starting with more lines.

Hiram stares at him for a moment more, then returns to the cargo bay with Earl. "You stay here in the cargo bay as much as you can, Earl. Keep the passengers outa it. There's somethin' off about this guy. Keep on yer toes."

He heads up to the infirmary, finding the doc where he'd hoped. "Doc, I'm still suspicious about our passenger, DeNiro specifically. He got into the engine room when Arthur says he had the hatch sealed from inside. Now mebbe Arthur just forgot, but he ain't the type. But it's nothin' anyone can prove. Do me a favor, stick a syringe of dope in yer pocket and go make like a shepherd with him - convert him to the holy church or whatever, but keep him busy, under yer eye, and see what you can find out."

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 10th of October, 2008 at 05:37.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Unread 10th of October, 2008, 04:22
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
"Sure thang, Boss. If'n ya ask me, that guy is off. I's see no dogs around here," he winks jokingly pulling the Captain's leg.

"I's be planning on being in the hold getting alls the stuff done anyways. If'n somethin' happens, I's come a runnin'."
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Unread 10th of October, 2008, 08:22
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
Greta nods in response, frowning at Genning's presense a little. She quietly speaks into the intercom from the crew berths.

"Earl, if you have a moment, we could use a hand up in the kitchen. Yusheng would like you to carry some things for Mr. Genning."

She then joins Yusheng and Nan-Ching in the kitchen with their passenger. "Mr. Genning, I thought I'd mentioned that the Captain would prefer you and Mr. DeNiro to stay in the passenger deck while we're in transit. There's some work to be done, you understand, and we wouldn't want anything to happen to you while we're moving things about." She smiles disrmingly as possible as she moves to help Yusheng.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Unread 10th of October, 2008, 08:47
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
Earl hears Greta's words through the intercom, "Wells, it looks likes there needs ta be two of me." He chuckles, "I goes to he'p the women-folk, Boss. At this rate I mebbe need some he'p ta get all d'is loaded up in time."

He pulls his muscular frame up the steps on his way to the kitchen.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Unread 15th of October, 2008, 05:09
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
Hiram waves approval at Earl's parting comment, disappearing up the ladder.

Genning sits quietly, polishing his glasses, waiting for the tea. He listens to Greta's gentle admonishment, bobbing his head in agreement. "Yes, I'm sorry, but Mister DeNiro said it was all right, you see, and so I decided to ask. I couldn't figure out how to use the intercom, you see, and I don't do well without my tea. In fact, I have some tea bags myself but I needed some hot water, you see, and..." he natters on about his health, digestion and delicate constitution.

He looks up when Earl arrives, then puts the glasses back on and squints at the big man. He licks his lips, then lowers his eyes, like a delta male when the alpha shows up, visibly cringing.

After giving his instructions to the doc, Hiram heads back down to the cargo bay to cover for Earl.

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 16th of October, 2008 at 02:31.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Unread 16th of October, 2008, 02:22
samirah's Avatar
samirah
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member: #961
Posts: 186 (0.04 per day)
Yusheng hands the lemons to Greta to slice as she arranges almond cookies on a plate for the tea tray. Speaking in low tones so Mr. Genning can't hear them she says,"Greta, you go with Earl to take trays? I worry if he by himself. He big, but if anybody have evil intention they might take advantage. He maybe not always see bad thing coming his way, you know?"

As they put the finishing touches on the tea tray, Yusheng looks around to see if she spots Earl arriving to complete his mission.

Nan Ching is now pacing around the lounge and galley area, back and forth, back and forth. She looks at her mistress and Greta, then heads over to check on the strange man sitting in the lounge. She senses so many things from the humans. It is unsettling to her doggy senses.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Unread 16th of October, 2008, 03:07
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
Earl tromps upstairs doing his best to put on his 'mean face' managing to look comical to Greta and Yusheng who know the big man doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

"Ma'am. I's here as requested."

He sizes up the passenger, "If'n ya come with me, I's make sure ya gets all ya needs." He crosses his arms waiting pointedly.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Unread 16th of October, 2008, 05:17
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
Genning looks from Earl to Yusheng to Greta to Nan Ching worriedly, then stands up. "I...where are we going?" he asks Earl.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Unread 16th of October, 2008, 07:43
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
"Earl will just be escorting you back to the passenger dorms," Greta says soothingly. "It's on our way to other work as it is. Thank you Earl, if you'd get the tray please?" She doesn't think Genning is a problem himself, but won't take the chance. She wonders about his comment on DeNiro, though, and decides to look in on it. In the meantime, she nods minimally to Yusheng and is ready to walk with Genning and Earl, smiling disarmingly.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Unread 17th of October, 2008, 06:41
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
"Yes'm ma'am," He walks over to Yusheng, "Thank ya, Ma'am. I's bring the tray back." He shifts and on the short trip back to the passenger's quarters he positions himself between Genning and Greta.

Last edited by TreyKincaide; 18th of October, 2008 at 02:46.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Unread 21st of October, 2008, 04:22
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
Earl, Greta, Nan Ching and Genning proceed back down the ladder to the passenger deck, where Mr. Genning sits down on the small sofa provided for that purpose, puuting his hands on his knees submissively. He blinks, saying brightly, "I'll have that tea, now. Oh, yes, very nice indeed." He busies himself with the arrangements, unless Greta chooses to do it herself.

Nan Ching puts her paws up on the sofa front beside the man's knee, doing her best puppy eyes in hopes of a treat. Genning rubs the top of her head with his fingers in a precise motion for a moment, then he pushes her gently away. "Shoo." Nan Ching looks at him a moment more, then rabbit-hops up the ladder back to her mistress.

The two hear the sound of oratory coming from behind them, apparently from the cargo deck. Down the corridor they see DeNiro posturing with his cane, reciting something apparently derived from Hamlet, though badly garbled by some populist hack writer, to Greta's thinking. She has a reasonable familiarity with classic theatre of Earth-That-Was, of course. His delivery is better than the writing, and he moves like he's had fencing training as well.

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 5th of November, 2008 at 07:11.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Unread 23rd of October, 2008, 06:23
samirah's Avatar
samirah
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member: #961
Posts: 186 (0.04 per day)
After the others leave Yusheng contacts Hiram via the intercom. "Hiram, Earl and Greta take Mr. Genning back to passenger quarter now. Greta remind him no come up here. I think he under control. He seem nervous though."

She waits for Hiram's reply, then busies herself in the galley getting dinner preparations underway. The previous day she had decided to prepare red bean soup and hua juan (Chinese flower rolls). Dried azuki beans have bean soaking in a pot water since last night. She drains the beans and sets them aside. Then she places dried lotus seeds in bowl of water to soak. She prepares the yeast dough for the rolls and, while the dough is rising, she chops dried tangerine peel for the soup and scallions for the rolls. She deposits all the ingredients for the soup into a huge pot and puts it on the stove. Then she skillfully forms the dough into small rolls that look like flowers, setting them aside to rise.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Unread 23rd of October, 2008, 08:48
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
Earl sits the tray down, "Here ya go." He looks at the sounds coming from down the hall. "Ya hit the button on the box an' I'll be back fer yer dishes. Ya be needin' ta stay in here or ya might have an accident. Boss don't like it when people have accidents."

Earl looks at Greta and waits for her to say anything before escorting her out and towards the wayward actor.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Unread 24th of October, 2008, 09:28
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
Greta smiles to Earl. "Thank you, Earl. Mr Genning, if you need anything else, I'll be back in an hour or so to check on things here. Earl's right; the Captain doesn't want you wandering in case of an accident with the cargo. I'll remind Mr. DeNiro of that as well."

She looks out to where the sounds of DeNiro's oration and mock-combat take place, studying the motions he makes.

Greta motions for Earl to follow her, and goes into the corridor within view of DeNiro, arms crossed and expression carefully kept somewhere between amused and annoyed.

"Mr. DeNiro! While I hate to interrupt, I believe I did inform you that the Captain would like passengers to remain in the designated areas for safety reasons. If there's anything you need, Earl and I can get it for you," she offers helpfully, inclining her head toward the big man.
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Unread 24th of October, 2008, 09:29
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
Earl crosses his arms doing his best to look like an over sized bulldog.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Unread 29th of October, 2008, 02:10
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
The two stand on the catwalk to be visible to DeNiro on the main cargo bay floor.

She looks out to where the sounds of DeNiro's oration and mock-combat take place, studying the motions he makes.
It's impossible to say for sure, for what he is doing is not fighting or practicing or forms, but rather stage-rehearsal. Still, she's pretty sure he's had fencing training. Combined with his athletic physique, he could be quite a dangerous man with a sword.

"Mr. DeNiro! While I hate to interrupt, I believe I did inform you that the Captain would like passengers to remain in the designated areas for safety reasons. If there's anything you need, Earl and I can get it for you," she offers helpfully, inclining her head toward the big man.
DeNiro turns, surprised out of his rehearsal. "Ahh, the fair miss Falsafi. And the faithful and...very large, mister...?" He walks toward the base of the cargo bay stairway, which happens to be the way they want him to come, of course, out of the cargo bay and toward the passenger lounge. "What I really need is more space to rehearse."

It occurs to Greta that the hatch between the passenger deck and the cargo bay should have been closed and locked, with crew-only access...but it now stands open.

Will can hear the byplay faintly through the infirmary door. He contemplates coming out to get involved.

DeNiro climbs the stairs to the catwalk, moving lightly and athletically. He reaches the top and strolls along the catwalk toward the two, cane swinging jauntily back and forth. He stops at long arms' length and motions, as if to induce a decision - who first to go back through the hatch and into the passenger area.

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 29th of October, 2008 at 02:12.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Unread 29th of October, 2008, 06:11
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
"I's Earl, and I's apologize ta be inconvenin' yor practicin'. I's likes play-acting meself an seein' stories, but I's afraid ya be needin' ta stay in yor quarters fer the duration of this flight. We's well ahead of schedule, so ya will be having time ta practice dirt side.

"The Boss is worried that ya might be having an accident 'cause we's under a hard burn. The Boss don' like no accidents."

Earl stands his ground making it clear that the actor will have to go around.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Unread 30th of October, 2008, 00:42
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
"I'm sure rehearsing can wait a few more hours," Greta says pleasantly, stepping smoothly aside to give DeNiro room to pass by her at least.

"And Earl is right, we do not want any accidents, particularly here in the cargo bay. This door really should have been locked to prevent such concerns." She continues mildly, gesturing to the passenger lounge while watching him.

'And I know that it was. So how did he get out here?' Warnings are flagging in her mind; she'd have to keep an eye on this one for the remaining hours until Bernadette.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Unread 31st of October, 2008, 06:41
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
DeNiro shrugs and steps smoothly around the two. As he does, his cane swings up and the end jabs Earl in the calf. The motion is natural and surprising enough that he fails to react until too late. [see roll]

Despite the naturalness of the motion, Greta's training allows her to discern that it was intentional. The next happening confirms it. The cane swings her direction, jabbing at her thigh. [see roll]

In spite of the warning, Greta makes the wrong move. Expecting some kind of traditional blow, her dodge takes her right into the path of the cane's point.

Each feels a sharp sting as the cane's tip breaks the skin, and a burning sensation as some kind of poision or drug is delivered. They both figure they have only a short time to do anything before they are affected.

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 3rd of November, 2008 at 12:33.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 07:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren