Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Wired*Nun's Games > Back in the Black (Same Song, Second 'Verse)

Reply
Thread Tools
  #26  
Unread 28th of August, 2008, 00:11
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
The thing they don't tell you about shipboard life is, it's often boring. The crew - and passengers, if any - have to make their own fun. While Cortex charges aren't prohibitive, they can be expensive, and surfing the Cortex is difficult when there are delays of seconds between transmissions. That leaves recorded vids and games of various sorts, conversation and socializing, all the human activities that sometimes get forgotten when living among people in a big city dirtside.

And, there's always work. Hiram keeps everyone busy with maintenance and such that hasn't seem to have gotten done in years. Cleaning, repainting, repacking bearings, rewiring conduit, reaming out the waste disposal system, it never seems to end, though there are pauses.

Earl gets some new clothing, custom-made by Yusheng from old blankets and packing material. They tell him they'll find something better on the next pace they land - and they do. He's soon outfitted with functional work clothing in his size. He gets plenty of food, and helps out with the heavy lifting around the ship. He also learns the basics of ship maintenance - cleaning and painting and such. And nobody raises a hand against him, which counts for a lot.

They ply the standard outer runs, trading with half-civilized and hardly-civilized worlds. Nothing exciting happens, which is a relief for everyone, for the moment. Living in interesting times is a curse, the Chinese say.

They do pick up another prospective crewmember on Persephone. Nothing faster than rumor on a small ship. Sometimes they swear Nan Ching can talk. The scuttlebutt is the Captain picked up a pretty young woman, and everyone is interested to meet her after lift, for various and sundry reasons peculiar to each.

Greta feels the ship lift, waking her up. After they stabilize out of atmo, she can hear the sounds of people in the corridors, the pitter-patter of four little feet, and the beginning of the smells of food.

The crew, minus Hiram in the cockpit, is gathered in the common spaces, getting breakfast together. The smell of Facon and pancakes fills the ship.

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 28th of August, 2008 at 01:45.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Unread 28th of August, 2008, 01:44
Candleman's Avatar
Candleman
Spawn of Kyuss [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member: #2004
Location: I honestly do not know.
Posts: 596 (0.14 per day)
Arthur is up a bit later than everyone else, but he's hungry. He has his heavy Alliance coat on, since he hasn't gotten his work-time coveralls on yet. Oddly, his left arm is actually in the sleeve, although he has it strapped to his side with what looks like some extra belts.

He runs a hand through his dark hair as he steps into the mess, yawning. He glances over at Yusheng to see how the food is coming, but he doesn't get anywhere near her. He sits, mouth curled in a perpetual amused smile.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Unread 28th of August, 2008, 01:49
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
The food smells good as ever today, though they're out of eggs for omelets again. It's a wonder they don't have a chicken coop aboard, what with Hiram's love of "aigs." Arthur - and everyone else - is still in minor awe of the quality of food aboard ship. He remembers food in the Service - mostly bad. They might not get cash pay yet, but they are eating like petty lords, and what's theirs, is theirs.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Unread 28th of August, 2008, 01:53
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
"Oohs, Ma'am is making pancakes!" the jolly Earl tromps in. "I's loves me Ma'am's pancakes. 'Minds me of my mama's." He hunkers down a few spots down from Arthur, "Hey there, Sir. You's gots any patchin' you be needin' me to do today? I's stayed up late ta gets the painting done."
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Unread 28th of August, 2008, 02:04
Candleman's Avatar
Candleman
Spawn of Kyuss [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member: #2004
Location: I honestly do not know.
Posts: 596 (0.14 per day)
Arthur looks around, to make sure Earl is actually speaking to him.

"...Me? Nah, I don't have anythin' for yah..." He says this hesitantly, as if he doesn't quite know what Earl means.

Arthur isn't much for conversation, so he just sits quietly and watches the other crewmembers approach.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Unread 28th of August, 2008, 05:06
samirah's Avatar
samirah
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member: #961
Posts: 186 (0.04 per day)
Yusheng darts back and forth in the kitchen making pancakes, cooking Facon, warming the syrup and plating up the food. She places a huge stack of steaming "cakes" on the table. A pat of margarine on top melting into a gleaming yellow pool of richness and trickling down the side of the stack. She places a small pitcher of syrup beside it and returns to the kitchen to retrieve the Facon.

She places the Facon on the table next to Earl and gives him a kind look.


"Oohs, Ma'am is making pancakes!" the jolly Earl tromps in. "I's loves me Ma'am's pancakes. 'Minds me of my mama's."

"You like pancake?? I make many pancake for you!!"

She nods "good morning" to Arthur and gets back to work making more food.

Nan Ching jumps off the couch and pads over to the dining area. She chooses a spot close to Earl and sits watching him, her bulgy dark brown eyes staring expectantly.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Unread 28th of August, 2008, 06:42
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
Greta wakes up and takes care of morning ablutions carefully, as best she can in the small space. Her long blond hair gets pulled back into a braid that's left hanging for now. A simple work blouse, pants and boots complete her outfit, her lip turning up wryly as she considers her change in wardrobe, eyes briefly drifting to the two gowns carefully stowed away still. Not likely to have many, if any, chances to wear the fancy dresses again anytime soon.

She makes her way to the dining area, masking any nervousness easily behind smooth steps and a shy smile as she enters the room and heads for the table.

"Good morning," she says, as she looks to see if it's a serve oneself or if there's someone getting the plates and whatnot, taking her cues from there.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Unread 28th of August, 2008, 06:45
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
Eager as a puppy, "Alrigh' Sir. Well's I's likes to be busy so if'n ya have ever have sumthin' I's be happy ta he'p." He smiles and turns to Yusheng.

"I's like 'em very well, Ma'am. Thank ya, kindly. These be the bestest pancakes in the Black!" He nods enthusiastically. "Ma'am is the nicest person fer making me extra!"

He glances do'n at Nan Ching, "I's sorry silly Nanny. Doggies don't eat pancake!" He chortles a deep long belly laugh. He looks around and whispers hunching down conspiratorialy, "Jes' you wait, Nanny, until she brings the Facon. Then I's be giving you something."

Earl looks up and breaks into a wide happy grin at the new face. He greets Greta with all the innocence of a child, "Why, hello there Missy. I's be Earl Henry. Ya sure are purdy. Would ya like some of Ma'am bestest pancakes?"

Last edited by TreyKincaide; 28th of August, 2008 at 06:50.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Unread 28th of August, 2008, 07:36
Fulmen's Avatar
Fulmen
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Member: #1173
Location: Texas
Posts: 729 (0.15 per day)
Sam plops down in his normal spot and awaits breakfast. "Mmmm, smells good. Hey, a newbie!" Sam reaches his hand out to Greta, "The name's Sam, pilot. And who might you be?"
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Unread 28th of August, 2008, 13:47
Candleman's Avatar
Candleman
Spawn of Kyuss [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member: #2004
Location: I honestly do not know.
Posts: 596 (0.14 per day)
Arthur is digging into his pancakes like the starving man he is; up until finding Folly he's had to make do with whatever he can.

He glances up to see Greta sit down, and coughs into his pancakes. He hasn't seen a woman in months besides Yusheng, and he's in a little awe of her. He realizes it's not polite to stare, so he just keeps on eating. Maybe when he's done he'll introduce himself.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Unread 28th of August, 2008, 16:56
Left-Handed Bandit's Avatar
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member: #1052
Location: Promise City
Posts: 401 (0.08 per day)
Having slept in a little longer than he had originally planned, William leisurely strolls into the dining room. He gives his greeting to Yusheng as he rounds the counter to retrieve a cup of coffee and joins the others at the table.

"Good morning, everyone," he says, taking note of the newcomer and the reaction of the others to her. Will can't help but smile at Earl's unabashed innocence, and he suppresses a chuckle as Arthur looks very intently at his stack of pancakes.

When he's able to get a word in edgewise, Will introduces himself to Greta as he fills his plate. "Brother William; I'm the MD."
__________________
Davy Jones, CTS
Your friendly, neighborhood Navy vet

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all who threaten it!

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Unread 28th of August, 2008, 23:22
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
Greta takes Sam's hand before she sits, giving a light squeeze in return. "Greta Falsafi. Don't really have a nice title yet, but I'm hoping I can make myself useful in some way here." She smiles disarmingly as she takes her seat, and looks at Earl.

"Why thank you, Earl Henry. And I think I will have some of these wonderful pancakes, if Mrs. Price is offering," she says kindly to the big, simple man across the way while nodding respectfully to Yusheng.

Greta then nods to William. "Good to meet you sir, always nice to have a doctor on board. A man of God as well, taking care of the soul as well as the body. The two seem to go together well with you."

The blond woman glances at Arthur. "And who is the quiet one over there?"
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Unread 29th of August, 2008, 02:05
Candleman's Avatar
Candleman
Spawn of Kyuss [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member: #2004
Location: I honestly do not know.
Posts: 596 (0.14 per day)
Arthur looks up when he is mentioned and swallows his mouthful of pancakes hard. He wipes off his good hand on his pants before realizing that he's too far away to shake her hand, so he does a feeble wave instead.

"Name's Arthur," he says, his accent clear. "I do the engine work 'round 'ere."
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Unread 29th of August, 2008, 03:42
samirah's Avatar
samirah
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member: #961
Posts: 186 (0.04 per day)
Yusheng steps back into the dining room to replenish the supply of pancakes and Facon. "Ni How," she says nodding to Will, Greta and Sam. Her eyes meet Greta's for a moment and seem to say,"Finally, another woman on the ship!"

Back in the kitchen she prepares Hiram's breakfast tray pretending to be preoccupied with her duties. All the while she is listening carefully to the conversation at the table, trying to glean information about the newcomers.

Nan Ching maintains her position next to Earl, dividing her gaze between Earl and the expanse underneath the table, hope springing in her Pekingese breast.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Unread 29th of August, 2008, 05:56
samirah's Avatar
samirah
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member: #961
Posts: 186 (0.04 per day)
Yusheng pours coffee into Hiram's thermal mug and adds a splash of hard liquor. She really doesn't like his drinking but has stopped hoping he will give up his addiction. Placing the mug on the tray she slips down the corridor and into the cockpit. "Ni How Bao Bei Ba Wong!" she says poking a little fun at Hiram. (Greetings darling iron-fisted ruler) She is hoping to find him looking better. She is getting more and more concerned about his health.

"Many new faces on ship," she says, thinking she might be able to engage him in a little converstion. She wants to bring up the fact that there is now a doctor on board and hopes to slip in a "suggestion" that Hiram see the new doc for a long overdue checkup.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Unread 29th of August, 2008, 06:17
Left-Handed Bandit's Avatar
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member: #1052
Location: Promise City
Posts: 401 (0.08 per day)
Greta then nods to William. "Good to meet you sir, always nice to have a doctor on board. A man of God as well, taking care of the soul as well as the body. The two seem to go together well with you."


"It's been my experience that we eventually find the role that suits us best," Will replies. "Mine is that of a healer; a healer of bodies, of minds and of souls."

The Black Friar pauses to take a sip of coffee as his eyes scan the room; Mrs. Price's addition of liquor to Mr. Price's coffee isn't lost on him, and Will mentally reminds himself to schedule a check up with the captain. He's certain the man will resist, but Will has been a doctor for the better part of two decades and knows how to deal with unruly patients.

Bringing his attention back to the conversation, Will adds, "If I may ask, what do you normally do for a living?"
__________________
Davy Jones, CTS
Your friendly, neighborhood Navy vet

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all who threaten it!

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 29th of August, 2008 at 09:18.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Unread 29th of August, 2008, 08:42
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.44 per day)
Earl clumsily sneaks Nan Ching some Facon when he thinks no one's looking. He brings his fingers to his lips, "Shh." He whisper conspiratorily, "This jes' be our secret Nanny."

The big man helps himself to another stack of pancakes. In the short time on the ship, he's looked less and less malnourished with each passing day. He genially finishes his meal and waves as he stands to his towering nigh on seven foot height, "It's mighty fine tameecha, Lady. If'n ya need he'p with anything jes' ask. I's likes ta he'p."

Earl bounds away with a spring in his step and song in his heart whistling off key on his way to the cargo hold to check the rigging.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Unread 29th of August, 2008, 09:04
Candleman's Avatar
Candleman
Spawn of Kyuss [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member: #2004
Location: I honestly do not know.
Posts: 596 (0.14 per day)
Arthur finishes his pancakes and crams the Facon into his mouth. He stands up and mumbles something about "checkin'... uhh, ya'noh... Grav... housin'..." as he slides out.

He shakes his head as he walks out. Hopefully he'll get over this... He throws himself into engine checkups until someone needs him.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Unread 29th of August, 2008, 09:57
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
Greta cuts her food properly before putting a small bite in her mouth, giving a moment to answer Will's question.

"Lately, I've been finding work as a negotiator for various small outfits, working on the bargains and deals. Nothing fancy, really. I was visiting home for the first time in too long awhile, but it's about time to get back out into the worlds and see what there is to see. Maybe find a place for myself out here somewhere. I guess you could say I'm still looking for my own role in life."

She smiles at Earl as he walks off, and gives a nod to Arthur as well. "I saw a bit of the ship last night, and wouldn't mind seeing a bit more later, and helping out where I can."

Greta finishes her breakfast eventually, and will, once Yusheng comes back, ask if she needs help cleaning up breakfast.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Unread 29th of August, 2008, 13:52
Left-Handed Bandit's Avatar
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member: #1052
Location: Promise City
Posts: 401 (0.08 per day)
"Well, Greta, I hope we can, in some small way, help you find that role."

(OOC: Yeah, I know, it's short...just wanted to close. )
__________________
Davy Jones, CTS
Your friendly, neighborhood Navy vet

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all who threaten it!

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Unread 30th of August, 2008, 01:51
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
Hiram smiles at Yusheng's needling. He rubs his stubbly chin with his palm. "Yeah. Good kids, seems like. Could be worse for crew. Remember Bin Bao? Put the converter coil on backwards. How do ya do that? Have to work at it to put a converter coil on backwards." He mutters some more about the past, then goes on, "Yeah. Nice to have someone to spell me in the cockpit."
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Unread 30th of August, 2008, 03:19
samirah's Avatar
samirah
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member: #961
Posts: 186 (0.04 per day)
"New doctor seem nice. Don't know if he a good doctor, though. Maybe you go see him. Let him look at you. Then you see if he good! It always good for captain to test new crew." Yusheng tries not to push too hard, but knows Hiram will probably see through her ploy.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Unread 30th of August, 2008, 04:28
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
He fixes her with a beady glare, then relents. "Yeah, maybe I kin afford a doc if he's part of my own crew, huh? All right. I'll let him look at me. Won't go letting him stick his finger up my gorram ass, though. Maybe..." He looks at Yusheng with a cocked eyebrow. "Maybe he could find me somethin' to...you know...let us have some fun again."
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Unread 1st of September, 2008, 03:11
Left-Handed Bandit's Avatar
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member: #1052
Location: Promise City
Posts: 401 (0.08 per day)
Will enjoys the conversation and meal and even helps clear plates from the table when everyone is done. He doesn't have a lot of stuff to actually "maintain," so he helps out where he can with jobs that don't require technical or mechanical expertise.

At some point after breakfast, though, Will makes a point to visit the captain when the old man is alone on the bridge.

"Captain, do you mind if I have a word with you?" he asks as he closes the door to the bridge.
__________________
Davy Jones, CTS
Your friendly, neighborhood Navy vet

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all who threaten it!

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Unread 1st of September, 2008, 04:40
samirah's Avatar
samirah
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Member: #961
Posts: 186 (0.04 per day)
"Funny how you always on about ass-sticking. I no care. You not allowed to get sick, you take care of me and ship!" She turns away, refusing to let him see her tear up.

Changing tack, she says, "And I still like have fun, lao gohn (old man). You see doctor, maybe he make your snake open eye." She walks out, back straight.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 12:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren