Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Wired*Nun's Games > Back in the Black (Same Song, Second 'Verse)

Unread 20th of August, 2008, 02:36
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

Member: #1052
Oh, does anyone else want to contribute to the ship? Fulmen and I can make it work with the 5,000 Cr. available, but we wouldn't mind a little extra help.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all who threaten it!

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 03:57
Fulmen
Spectre

Member: #1173
I think 8 crew berths may be better than 6, that way we have extra space if we get more crew members. I'd say at 10 tons a piece.

That sounds good for passenger berths, and definitely second class.

I'll look over the gear again in a bit to see whatelse we could add in, but don't worry about covering mechanic's tools in the cost. I had plenty of cash left over to buy one with my own money.

What about a go cart or small speeder or something? Could come in handy and we should be able to afford it.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 04:12
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #836
Don't forget vacuum suits in those lists of necessary ship gear. Dunno how many people are going to buy their own, or if they'll assume it comes with the ship. I'll try and set money aside for a share as well.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 04:29
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

Member: #830
When designing the ship, please provide something like a 20x20' bay for her garden, but only pay for the basic space and tonnage. Lights and garden equipment will come from her own money. It will be a sancrosact place, I'm expectin' - enter at your peril.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 04:39
Wired*Nun

Since Hiram took on passengers as well as cargo regular, I'd say at least 8-10 total cabins. Each crewmember would have one, and the remaining ones could be set up usable as singles, doubles or, in a pinch, family. The captain's cabin could be a custom, formed from two standard cabins or something like that. This was their home for thirty years or so.

Not sure how much space/tons this will use up, but I don't see Hiram running around bulk cargo but rather midgrade and specialties.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 04:42
Wired*Nun

There will be a number of freebies that you might find on the ship, especially if they're logical and you make your roll. For example, Hiram's suit ain't gonna be of much use to him in the Great Beyond. And who knows what you might find in hidden compartments or just stuffed behind the waste processor...
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 05:06
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #836
I've got 400 credits to contribute after estimating some extra things my char will have. And now I got to post in the public thread so y'all can meet her.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 05:56
Wired*Nun

I'm gonna need a ship name and type pretty soon.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 06:04
Candleman
Spawn of Kyuss [GM]

Member: #2004
Dang. At the rate we are moving, I feel pretty bad about not having my info. I never should have lent out my book and sheet...

I'll try to get it back today. If it turns out for some reason I can't, then I will just buy another copy of the book and crank out another sheet. I've got a $50 giftcard for Barnes and Noble, anyway.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 06:20
Wired*Nun

We can start playing without the stats, as long as I have the gist. It's preludes right now anyway. Just let me know what you want to do.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 07:16
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

If we go with 1 double crew berth (captain and wife), 6 single crew berths, 2 passenger suites (double rooms) and 1 single passenger cabin, would that work for everyone?

The captain's cabin would be 15'x10'x8' and the rest of the crew cabins 8'x10'x8'. If we go with 30/15 tons respectively, that would leave us with 69.9 tons for the common areas (6,960 cu. ft., or 870 sq. ft. of deck space).

I figure a fresher is 4'x8' (shower and space to dry off and dress), so two of those would take up 64 sq. ft. The kitchen could be about 200 sq. ft. and the dining area (big table) would be about 325 sq. ft.

We could say that the original crew lounge was converted into Mrs. Price's hydroponic garden. I see the lounge as octagonal, with about 7-1/2 feet on a side (about 18'4" across...for about a 281 sq. ft. area, which takes up the rest of the common area).

The two 16-ton passenger suites and one 8-ton cabin will take up a total of 40 tons of cargo space, leaving us with 210 tons before the other gear is calculated. We can use the crew cabins as guides for the size of the passenger cabins, which provides a passenger lounge of 10'x12' adjacent to the berths (as part of the overall 40 tons of cargo space used).

Do we want 1 or 2 standard short range shuttles (20 tons each from cargo)? The Infirmary will take up an additional 16 tons of volume.

If we want a mule or two, we can get one small wheeled quarter ton) and one large wheeled (half ton), or we can make the large one a hover mule (1 ton).

And yes, we don't want to forget vacc suits (67 Cr. each). One for each crew position, or just one for each of the PCs and NPC crew?

Extending an olive branch doesn't count when you're trying to poke the other fella in the eye.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 07:21
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

How about Price's Folly? We can call her an Aphid-class light mid-bulk transport.

Unread 20th of August, 2008, 07:54
Fulmen
Spectre

Price's Folly works for me.

1 Short Range Shuttle should be fine.

Let's go with 1 hover mule.

Everything else looks good to me.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 08:47
Wired*Nun

I don't much like colors for spoken words. I reserve them for certain special situations e.g., telepathy.

I'm going to have to argue against officially calling the ship "Price's Folly." It's not something he would name his ship. But, all is not lost!

The official name of the ship is "La Folies," The Leaves (makes more sense in French.). This morphed colloqially into "the Folly" after Hiram's startup went bust, and now it's just "Folly" to him and "Price's Folly" to anyone that looks with contempt on an old, drunken ship captain.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 08:48
Wired*Nun

Also, I think I'll give you her garden bay for free - add it somewhere but don't pay for it in the price of the ship. It could even be a module added to the ship. That will give us a crew lounge and dining room back.

Is this a Firefly or what?

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 20th of August, 2008 at 09:25.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 09:16
Fulmen
Spectre

This ship is a slightly smaller transport than a firefly is. Strenth d4 vs. a Firefly Str d6. I'll stop with the colored quotes. I'm in another game where the GM wants them all colored so I just went with what I have been using.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 09:30
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

La Folies -- I like it, W*N! Very nice!

And, switch to grayscale script, aye...

No, the design is one that Fulmen and I are collaborating on. That's why I offered her being of the Aphid-class. She's only about 1,000 tons (about the best we could afford), speed 4, but agile and tough for a ship her age.

Okay, so the garden was built in an old void space that originally housed communications equipment, thus drawing from neither La Folies' cargo nor crew volume allocations.

The crew's common areas include two freshers, a 12.5'x16' galley, a 13'x25' dining room and an octagonal lounge that is 7.5' on each side (about 18'4" across).

The passenger dorms have no full-sized fresher, so passengers use the crew freshers for showers. Of course, each berth (crew and passenger alike) has a stow-away toilet and sink.

And, we'll have one shuttle and one large, 1-ton hover mule. That will leave 173 tons available for cargo space (or more gear). I propose that we leave at least 150 tons dedicated to cargo if we find more gear to install.

Unread 20th of August, 2008, 10:11
Wired*Nun

The ship also has a small, 2-person (4 in a pinch, 6 if they all pile on one another) internal combustion mule, taking any fuel from cooking grease to alcohol. It can carry a few hundred pounds of supplies or tow a small trailer. It's very much like a John Deere gator. A dedicated stowaway system locks it vertically into one of the cargo bay walls, kind of like a Murphy Bed.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 10:27
Wired*Nun

Everyone starts with 6 plot points at prelude, but I'm not going to reload them in the time between the prelude and the today-start. So, you can use them, or maybe earn some, but that's what you will be starting with then.

Since I'm just as new to the mechanics of the game as anyone else, please feel free to remind me OOC, publically or privately, when you think you should have earned plot points for something.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 10:35
Wired*Nun

I fiddled with Greta's timeline a bit.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 11:48
Wired*Nun

Do you have a reference for the Aphid class? Maybe I'm blonde, but I couldn't find it in the book.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 15:30
Candleman
Spawn of Kyuss [GM]

Well, I got myself the rulebook and I'm getting Arthur set up now. I'll see how much I can invest in a few minutes.

Oh, and when you said you didn't include the Mechanic's tools, does that mean I should buy it myself? Otherwise, I am done and have 550 cr to 'invest' with.

Last edited by Candleman; 20th of August, 2008 at 16:07.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 16:18
Left-Handed Bandit
Vampire Spawn

Oh, you won't find a reference. I made the class name up. Complete custom build.

Unread 20th of August, 2008, 16:29
Fulmen
Spectre

Candleman, I bought Mechanic's Tools with my own cash. But I share
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 16:34
Candleman
Spawn of Kyuss [GM]

Okey doke. In that case, I'm finished with my character, and that's another 550 cr to add to the money pit-- er, I mean Folly.