Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Wired*Nun's Games > Back in the Black (Same Song, Second 'Verse)

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 06:19
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
Greta Falsafi

Several weeks ago...

She'd been looking for a ship out of Persephone, and there was really only one way off unless you had big connections or money, which she didn't have anymore - Eavesdown Docks. She had enough money to buy passage anywhere, but passage wouldn't give her any sort of life, just another place to have to run away from. Leong was rich - not Senator rich, not "own half the moon" rich - but rich enough to keep a squad of PIs occupied stalking her, harrassing her, trying to convince her to come back. Maybe kidnap her, if they got bold enough.

For now, the only thing she could figure was a ship. Small environment, small community, controllable, mobile...a place to hide or a way to run. She felt uncomfortable about what trouble she might be bringing on anyone around her, but she fully intended to pay her way.

She walked down the row of ships looking for something that would give her a sign. She wasn't superstitious, but she believed in her own ability to notice things, things that gave her the edge in any situation. She was looking for an opening.

The maws of cargo bays gaped, harsh lights shining through the light dirty drizzle. Her lumpy coveralls hid something of her form, her golden hair was bound up beneath a knit cap, and she deliberately suppressed any hint of sexiness. The docks were busy and public, but you just never knew.

An old man stands on the ramp of one of the ships, wearing work clothes and a billed cap thick with intricate black lace. The bulk of the ship looms over her in the night, and even if she knew ships, she couldn't have identified it easily. What she can see of it is battered, but not broken. A Local 590 loader backs down the ramp, stopping for a moment to let the old man put a thumbprint on the reader the longshoreman holds. The driver does a skilled 180 before buzzing off down the tarmac with an electric whine.

He spots her then, and places a casual hand on the butt of his sidearm. She realizes that she must be hard to see, at the edge of the ramp lighting there. He reaches over to a switch inside the bay doors, and exterior lights come on with a blaze, pinning her under harsh yellow arcs.

"You talkin' or walkin', miss?" the man asks gruffly. "Pick one."

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 20th of August, 2008 at 10:34.
  #2  
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 09:00
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
"Talking, I suppose." Greta studies the man for a brief moment as she shifts her position to allow him a better look at her, exuding calm and collection, her hands easily seen. She almost wishes they didn't look so smooth and elegant; at least she'd learned to trim her nails shorter.

She decides cutting right to the chase will work the best for this old fellow. "Looking to hire on any crew? Got a need for a job, if you've got need of extra hands. I don't have the most experience on a ship like this, but I'm a quick study." She smiles disarmingly.
  #3  
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 09:23
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
He waves her over, and backs into the interior, reducing his exposure, and hers as well. Might think I'm a come-on, bait for a heist, something like that. His hand doesn't budge off the butt of his revolver.

"Lemme see ya. Cutie, ain't ya? What's yer game? You ain't got the hands fer mechanickin or loadin', yer clothes are too clean...runnin away from yer husband? Lover?" Strange luck, to strike so close to the truth, though not the way he thinks.
  #4  
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 09:37
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
"A bit more to it, but we'll call that close enough for now, sir." Greta smiles again, a bit sadder this time. Then she's back to business.

"I haven't done much manual labor, though I'm not afraid of it, and I do try to keep neat. I've found some luck as a negotiator of sorts, for other small ventures, but nothing permanent as of yet. I have some recommendations if needed. Just looking for work and I don't mind if it's on the move. I kind of prefer that really."

'Less time for thinking on some things. And gets me the hell away from here.'
  #5  
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 10:34
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
He hits a large green button. "Best stand away, miss." The loading ramp begins to raise slowly. Though she doesn't really think he'll hold her against her will, the easy exit starts to go away.

"Tell you what. I'm on the way to Beaumonde for a run, then back here. You got a hunnerd cred? Deposit it with me. I can give you room and board for now, 'cause I ain't got no passengers. If it turn out you make some kinda contribution, be some kinda help around, by the time we land here agin, you'll get your hunnerd back. If not, I'll take fifty for the cabin and food. If you turn out to be trouble, I'll keep the hunnerd and drop you anywhere that's got air. Deal?"
  #6  
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 10:45
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
Greta steps smoothly forward as the ramp goes up, glancing back just the once. She doesn't feel threatened by the old man, or anything else on the small vessel so far. Granted, she hasn't seen much of anything, but not much seems out of place, either. And it's better than wandering around the docks much longer.

"Sounds like a deal to me. I'm Greta Falsafi. Pleasure to meet you, Captain...?" She offers her hand to the old man for introductions.

"I won't be any trouble intentionally, at least, you can have my word on that much. Anything else I'll do my best to minimize, and I'm usually good at talking my way through such."
  #7  
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 11:04
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
"Price. Hiram Price." He sticks out his hand for a quick shake. "Sometimes trouble finds you. Like whoever you're skatin' from. Long as it ain't the Alliance. It ain't, izzit? No, I don't 'spect so. You ain't scared enough."

The cargo hatch closes, and he hits another switch. There comes a loud magnetic clang. "We're locked up for the night. We'll take off in the morning. Our ship time's skewed, an' I been up too long."

He shows her to a cabin. He walks gingerly, like he's in a bit of pain, but he hits every step perfectly. "Here you go. You got that cash, I'll be obliged."
  #8  
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 11:31
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
Greta rummages in her smaller bag for hard currency to hand Price. "That should cover our agreement. Thank you, Captain Price. I suppose I should retire myself, to get adjusted to the timing of the ship. I'll see you in the morning then. I look forward to meeting the rest of the crew."

She smiles charmingly again before entering her cabin. Small berth, but it'll do for just her. She's gotten used to smaller spaces and spartan accommodations.
  #9  
Unread 21st of August, 2008, 01:23
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
He takes the money. "Best you keep to yourself until tomorrow. Got me a young hotshot pilot and' a cranky engineer, mebbe get a mite distracted by a perty young thing like yoursef. Once we're in the black be soon enough to meet the crew. Code's defaulted to 9999. Set one yourself if you like. You got any more trouble, you yell for my wife. Name's Yusheng. Night."

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 21st of August, 2008 at 04:37.
  #10  
Unread 21st of August, 2008, 04:20
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
"Of course. Thank you and good night Captain." Greta nods respectfully as he takes his leave, and she settles into her new bunk.

She sets her bag down and gets out the carefully folded garment bag, examining the contents critically and hanging them carefully in what little space there is, shaking the fabrics out and smoothing them down, before covering them back up with plastic dust covers and putting the bag back in front of them to block the view and offer some protection.

She only unpacks what's immediately needed, using the room's hidden sink for now to wash up before stretching out on the bunk, jotting notes into a small notebook before trying to settle down to sleep. It's a bit of time coming, between the offset time and the new sounds of a strange place.
  #11  
Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 04:51
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
There comes a scratching at Greta's cabin door. That's it, a scratching, like a small animal. Rats? I hope this ship doesn't have rats. Or ghosts, whether she believed in them or not. A low whine accompanies the scratching.

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 22nd of August, 2008 at 04:56.
  #12  
Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 04:54
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
Greta frowns, and eventually gets up, and turns on the light before going to check the door to the cabin and what could be making the scratching sound.

She stands off to the side to be safe, looking at the approximate height the scratching seems to be coming from.
  #13  
Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 05:00
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
A puggish head pokes in the door, sniffing the air, followed by a short body covered with long hair. It looks like a tawny mop with legs and a black face. Some kind of Asian dog...Shi-tsu? Pekingese?

It looks like it weighs no more than ten pounds soaking wet. It - she? looks around the cabin, then take a mighty leap up onto the bunk, to plop down as if she owns the place. She opens her mouth to pant a little, smiling.
  #14  
Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 05:07
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
Greta raises an eyebrow and puts a hand on her hip. "Well. I wasn't informed I'd have a roommate. Guess I can't be too surprised ona ship this size. Where are you from, little one?"

She steps nearer to the dog, putting her hand out to let the little furball get a good sniff as she approaches, and if allowed, will pet the pooch as she sits back down on the bunk.
  #15  
Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 05:10
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
The dog extends its whole head for a sniff, then rolls over on her side to be stroked. A tag on her collar says "Nan Ching," along with the chinese characters for the same, and "La Folies, Yusheng Price," then "Reward for return."

She finds her thigh being used as a handkerchief as the dog rubs her face on it, as if to scratch. She makes a grunting, trilling sound as she wriggles.
  #16  
Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 09:21
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
"Friendly aren't you?" Greta coos to the small canine, petting and scritching obediently, examining the tag on the collar.

"Belong to the lady of the ship then, Nan Ching? She'll probably wonder where you ran off to eventually. Not that there are many places to go on this ship, are there? Bet you know them all. Maybe we'll find her before then, hrm?"

Eventually she picks up the small dog, still petting her, and steps outside her quarters, peeking around. Captain said to keep to herself for now, but it is late (ship time) by now, and if Mrs. Price is still out and about, Greta can at least make sure she knows what the dog's up to, as well as letting Greta meet her.

And if not, due to everyone being in bunk already, it will at least let her stretch her legs out and see some of the ship, and just means she's likely to have a roommate for the evening.
  #17  
Unread 23rd of August, 2008, 22:36
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
The ship is quiet, but not silent. The fresher is empty, but there are lights in a couple of the cabins. The end double is decorated with Chinese calligraphy and watercolors of garden scenes. Some of them look to have been there a long time.

The common area is dimly lit. Nan Ching follows, then leads her in, sniffing about for dropped scraps or who-knows-what. She ambles over to a bowl on the floor, checks on that too. Nothing new, apparently. She takes a couple laps of water, then sits, staring at Greta.

There's an infirmary, whatever they call it on a ship - sickbay? Medbay? The door is closed but not locked. There's the ship's cockpit or bridge. Down a corridor she hears the quiet thrumming of the power plant or engine, however it is ships get power on the ground. Someone is moving around down there, and she remember's the captain's "request" about waiting to meet the crew.

Cargo bay is full to bursting with crates and boxes. Hopefully that means some haggling on the other end, some way for her to earn her keep other than that way. She's determined not to do that, or at least, to do it rarely, right, and on her terms. Hard to reconcile, now that she's barred from the Guild.

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 25th of August, 2008 at 10:23.
  #18  
Unread 24th of August, 2008, 08:47
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
"Not going to happen," Greta mutters, looking over the cargo, as her mind wanders to those other possibilities. She's still determined to not become like one of those. She will find another way, now that she's not part of the Guild, due to her own decisions and the troubles that had come of them.

Greta eventually returns to the common area and gets herself a drink of water before looking down at Nan Ching. "Well little one, looks like Mama went to bed already. Should probably do the same ourselves."

She heads back to her bunk, letting the little dog follow or not as she may.
  #19  
Unread 26th of August, 2008, 02:18
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
Nan Ching follows Greta back to her bunk and makes herself at home among the covers, if she's allowed. A moment later, though, there comes a voice echoing through the ship calling. Nan Ching jumps down and scratches at the berth hatch. Assuming she's let out, she scampers down the corridor and away without a backward glance.
  #20  
Unread 26th of August, 2008, 06:38
LynMars's Avatar
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #836
Posts: 2,661 (0.51 per day)
Greta will get up to let Nan Ching out if she's persistent enough. The blond woman doesn't take the time to peek out the hatch into the corridor, though, simply letting the dog out and then closing up again.

She shakes the covers a bit to get rid of the worst of the hair and settles in for her own rest finally.
  #21  
Unread 27th of August, 2008, 23:02
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
Jump to main prelude thread when it's posted.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 12:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren