Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Thanos's Games > EXALTED: Requiem of Sorrows Forgotten

Unread 14th of March, 2009, 15:32
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Member: #894
OOC Thread (Players Only)

Please feel free to comment about just about anything here. In game questions of a non-private nature belong here. If there is something private that needs to be said, use IGMs.
Unread 15th of March, 2009, 09:59
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Heya Hamner, glad to see you online.
Unread 16th of March, 2009, 05:14
Tiernan
Zombie

Member: #7473
Testing...one,two,three...
Is this thing on?
Unread 17th of March, 2009, 05:02
TocRat05
Spawn of Kyuss

Member: #1105
I'm here!
Unread 17th of March, 2009, 15:31
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Just wondering where my other three players are at.... ;-)

So far the characters that I have seen look good. I am waiting on a completed draft from Hamner and Dean.
Unread 18th of March, 2009, 13:30
qwerty123
Devourer [GM]

Member: #1109
I am living the dream in the wastes of Fallout 3.

Ahab, Moby Dick
Unread 21st of March, 2009, 05:16
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

RelentlessNight,

Character Creation for CoI

(As normal with the following alterations)
+1 Essence (10fb to raise it to a 4)
30 Ability Points (Survival 3, Ride 1, Dawn Caste/Occult of 3 required).
Backgrounds 9
Calling (Not Favored, this is different) Abilities for Artificer are: Craft, Lore, Occult, Endurance, 'Players Choice'.
Calling Charms: Integrity Protecting Prana, Ox Body. Regular 10 charms for CharGen are players choice as usual.

Bonus Points
Ability 2, 1 for 1 if Favored, 2 for 1 if Favored and Calling

Backgrounds:
Artifact * gets you 2 levels maximum of lv2
Artifact ** gets you 3 levels maximum lv3
Artifact *** Gets you 4 levels Maximum lv4
Artifact **** Gets you 6 levels mixed any way
Artifact ***** Gets you 8 levels mixed any way.

Illumination: How "IN" you are with the Cult.
You automatically get a * in this, but no more.

Sorcery (works like the DB thing giving you extra spells)
1-3 gives you 1 to 3 Terrestrial Spells
4-5 gives you 4 or 5 spells from the T or Celestial circles.

Tiger Warriors (Non-Extra soldiers that work with you, guard you etc)
* = 5
** = 15
No more, as the school is brand new.

All others are unchanged.
Mentor is restricted to lv2 or below. This is a brand new school and there are only 2 other Exalted there outside of the Perfect Circle.
Unread 21st of March, 2009, 08:13
RelentlessNight
Spawn of Kyuss

Member: #663
what book covers CoI? I may try and hunt it down.

EDIT: I thought Solar chargen only gave 8 charms for starting characters?

EDIT2: My character's equipment will most likely make his own equipment, especially (non-artifact) weapons. Are there any bonuses for using stuff you've made like weapons etc?

Last edited by RelentlessNight; 21st of March, 2009 at 08:42.
Unread 21st of March, 2009, 08:24
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

The name of the Book is: Cult of the Illuminated.

It is its own book. Basically the Sids of the Gold Faction have set up some schools to Educate and Guide the reborn Solar. Agents go out and find/rescue Solar before the Wyld Hunt gets them and brings them in to safety. They explain some stuff and have some extra's for the new Solar (ie artifacts/Followers).

Good luck, but the above is specific for this game (as your at a brand new school without much for resources). You guys will be able to RP some resources after the game starts, but that is part of the idea.

There is some big metaplot action planned for you guys...you just have to work up to it and figure out some stuff.
Unread 24th of March, 2009, 01:29
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Excellency's: Are Dice Adders per se, for a single Ability and all Abilities have these. These charms are Instant Reflexive.

1st Excellency: Add 1 die to a single roll (Offensive, Defensive, or Utility) for 1 mote of essence. Standard limit of (Attribute + Ability) in bonus dice.

2nd Excellency: Adds 1 auto-success per 2 motes. In this case every auto-success counts as 2 dice for the standard limit of (Attribute + Ability). This is NOT a die converter like Fire & Stone Strike.

3rd Excellency: Reroll the die pool you just rolled and take the second roll. 4 motes. Not available to be combo's with Excellency 1 or 2.

(Ability) Mastery [2m/1w : Ability 4, Essence 3]: This is a Scene long charm that is Simple. Using this charm a Solar can modify the amount of motes he must spend when using the 1st or 2nd Excellency, even down to 0, on a 1 for one basis. Solars of Ess 3 or less can only put as many motes into this charm as their Ess x2. Solars of Ess 4 or more can put as many as they would like.
Example: Ess 3 Solar puts 6 motes 1w into Melee Mastery at the start a combat. On his second turn he uses the Second Melee Mastery and purchases 5 automatic successes. Since Melee Mastery reduces the cost of the Excellency by 6 motes those 5 successes only cost 4 motes for that die roll. On the 3rd round the Solar uses the 1st Excellency to help defend against an onslaught of 8 different attacks. He adds 6 dice to each of those defense rolls, but spends 0 motes of essence. Finally in the 4th round the Solar uses a Combo with both the 1st and 2nd Excelleny's. He purchases 4 bonus dice and 3 auto successes, which only costs him 4 motes.

You can read up on the charms on pages 183-186 in the 2nd Edition Core Book.
Unread 24th of March, 2009, 11:01
RelentlessNight
Spawn of Kyuss

I remember in your original thread in the Character Acquisition you stated some ability minimums etc for CoI can you please post them here for completeness or better yet Edit the post listing the other CoI stuff.

EDIT: And how does the Group Manse work? Do we all get a hearthstone? Does it become a base of operations, since we're all sharing it and putting a point of backgrounds towards it, what rating will it work out as? Can we put more than 1 dot towards Group Manse if so desired?

EDIT2: Nmind, I see the minimums posted above now

Last edited by RelentlessNight; 24th of March, 2009 at 11:44.
Unread 24th of March, 2009, 13:08
RelentlessNight
Spawn of Kyuss

Character up! Please have a look Thanos and TocRat and let me know what you think. Feedback is welcome, he's not set in stone just yet.
Unread 24th of March, 2009, 14:11
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

The Group Manse
Everybody who puts a dot into the Group Manse will get a lv1 hearthstone. The hearthstone and manse will be my choice/design. However, the type of energy that the Manse is based on will be the players choice. It could be a Fire, Lunar, Solar, Earth, etc. All players with Group HS will get the benefit from the HS and Essence Regen equal to the level of the Group Manse (not the level of the HS).

The manse will be a base of operations in some cases, but you may or may not want to stay there. Depends on what you choose and what I find in the books that is cool.
Unread 24th of March, 2009, 14:56
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Character Comments for RelentlessNight (GM),
-With a 3 resources you can pretty much have any kind of Excellent Quality Weapon you want or any Perfect Resources 1 weapon.

-Influence: 2 (Martial Arts Prowess and Crafting ability)
I am not sure what your trying to get here. Please explain more.

-Contacts: 2 (Other practitioners of my mundane crafting, other followers of The Way)
This begs the question of 'What is the Way'. Would these contacts be in the South East or where your character originally came from. If the later then when do you expect to get back there. It takes some time to travel in the vastness of creation. Your group of characters will be out in the middle of nowhere. Imagine traveling from The boarder with Canada across the plains and into the jungles of southern Mexico before your characters found another 'civilized' location or major city. You, your horse, and your trusty hooked swords....thats one very long journey!

1st Craft Excellency + 2nd Craft Excellency (1m/die + 2m/success, 1wp)
-Please read my post (above) about Excellencies. Did you want this to Instead be a combo with Impurity Hammering Blow and one of the Excellencies. Personally I would go with the Auto-success Excellency when working with crafts.

-Your 2nd Combo is 100% approved.

-The character is missing 1 Favored Ability designation.

-Specialization Jade: Unless your going to be sculpting things out of pure Jade then you can could probably benefit more from, Specialization: Magical Materials. If your guy is from Sijan I could see him specialized in grave-goods made of jade, but he would still have to know how to make them normally.

-Are you creating a custom MA tree? If not, what MA are you going to be learning? It would be helpful if you started with the first charm in whatever tree you were thinking. May I suggest Snake or Ebon both of which will make you harder to hit which your character can not afford to be.

Otherwise I look forward to a little backstory.

------------
Non-GM Comments:
Dump a Craft Excellency, pick up a MA Charm.
Remake the The Forge of Heaven combo with Impurity Hammering Blow.
Dump Contacts, Dump Influence
--That gets you 4 background points which you can put into Resources giving you 2BP and 2 background points left over for an Ally or another artifact or maybe a Manse of his own somewhere in creation.
--Spend the 2BP on a WP or drop the extra dot of Attributes and purchase a Temperance and a MA Charm (which would be a calling charm for 3BP).
Unread 24th of March, 2009, 19:17
RelentlessNight
Spawn of Kyuss

“ Originally Posted by Thanos # -Influence: 2 (Martial Arts Prowess and Crafting ability) ”
Having any skill at 5 is a big deal - its' the maximum allowed by the game system. He is a master in those two fields and often people come to those with expertise for advice and/or favours in the practice of their art.

I took Influence 2 to represent his fame in this regard and that since I'm spending background points on it he can also use Influence to assist himself and his Circle in these broad areas.

“ Originally Posted by Thanos # -Contacts: 2 (Other practitioners of my mundane crafting, other followers of The Way)
This begs the question of 'What is the Way'.
”
Regarding your comments, they are valid. The South East itself is a big place too and I still have this problem. I will remove Contacts.

Regarding 'The Way', I dislike having to take a specific Form of Martial Arts and would prefer to be more a 'Bruce Lee' a martial artist who's skill encompasses all forms of unarmed combat (see movie Enter the Dragon). 'The Way' is a name I came up with to identify the mundane techniques used by my character, much like Bruce Lee developed his own MA school based on his unique forms. I'm not smart enough to come up with a custom MA tree myself however so I'm willing to choose an existing style if you insist.

“ Originally Posted by Thanos # 1st Craft Excellency + 2nd Craft Excellency (1m/die + 2m/success, 1wp) ”
As I understood it, with Infinite Craft Mastery activated, I could combo a die adder and buy successes both at a reduced cost in the same crafting action.

Having used Impurity Hammering Blow previously to tun ordinary steel into the finest magnesium-alloy it would at the very least allow me to churn out Exceptional items with a modicum of time.

“ Originally Posted by Thanos # -Specialization Jade: ”
OK - I chose Jade to reflect that I would hide as a God Blooded turning out minor Jade artifacts and trinkets.

“ Originally Posted by Thanos # Otherwise I look forward to a little backstory. ”
Me Too
Unread 25th of March, 2009, 07:33
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

“ As I understood it, with Infinite Craft Mastery activated, I could combo a die adder and buy successes both at a reduced cost in the same crafting action. ”
This is correct, but would be a huge waste of 2BP points at CharGen and 1w each time its activated. Please read in the OOC where I describe the Mastery and Excellencies. Choose one or the other, but I would go for the Auto-successes because you shouldn't leave anything to chance when crafting things that take a LONG time (like artifacts or buildings).

With the excellency and IHB you can turn out Perfect items with relative impunity. Perfect items require top of the line ingredients, a place to make them, both of which you can make, and lots of successes. There is no need for a Combo or even 1 of the charms.

----------
Jade is great, but your limiting yourself pretty harshly with a double specialty in 1 type of material when you could have that double specialty in all Magic Materials and it would work in 95% of the situations including the one above.
Unread 25th of March, 2009, 07:50
RelentlessNight
Spawn of Kyuss

OK, I'll adjust the combo and drop the 1st Excellency allowing me to take another charm in its' stead. Which still leaves me with 2BP to play with. Does my explanation of Influence make sense? Are you satisfied with it?

Regarding background and history, I have a few ideas I'm working through in conjunction with some kind advice from TocRat (thanks).

Since it looks like I'm going the Custom MA Tree route would I be better off changing Followers to Ally since it gives an individual of greater ability who could actually learn the CMA style? (An Outcaste/Lost Egg DB?).

EDIT: Also, I have changed my Craft specialties to Magic Materials: 2, Metalworking 1, Magitech 1
Unread 25th of March, 2009, 08:05
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Excellent.
That does explain things and certainly you can have some Tiger Warrior like students who wish to learn from a Master...even if your just learning it yourself.

OK.

Keep the followers. They will make excellent assistants for your crafting abilities.

Good! The rest of the group will love you for it.

Any ideas for Energy Type for the Group Manse?
Unread 25th of March, 2009, 08:32
RelentlessNight
Spawn of Kyuss

Solar, of course . Perhaps a Manse that is geomantically/Siddie-assisted 'hidden' from casual observers hence why a high(5!)-lvl Solar Manse is still standing after all this time.

Or that the Manse has stood closed against intrusion since the Usurpation and our Perfect Circle opened it - much to the Sidreal's astonishment . Sorry, I just love tweaking the nose of those uppity Sidreals.

In a side note: I'm seriously considering doing away with the Craft combo altogether since you seem to indicate that its' not a wise allocation of points and I can acheive the same effect activating each Charm seperately. Which would give another 2 BP for a total of 4.

Creating a character is hard work
Unread 25th of March, 2009, 10:38
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Yes it is. Having 4BP left over would let you increase a Virtue, which would increase your WP and essence pools a little bit. The extra BP could increase your Occult/Lore or maybe Dodge....
Unread 25th of March, 2009, 11:46
RelentlessNight
Spawn of Kyuss

Okay, all points spent!

Deleted Combo, increased Conviction to 3 and increased Followers to 2 (for 3 followers).

Coming Soon - Character History!

EDIT: If there's any benefit in doing so (Manse with extra features?) I'm willing to put a 2nd BP towards the Group Manse

Last edited by RelentlessNight; 25th of March, 2009 at 14:26.
Unread 25th of March, 2009, 12:40
TocRat05
Spawn of Kyuss

My vote concerning the type of Manse would be Air.
It has 2 very good level 1 Hearthstones:
Jewel of the Flying Heart, it give a bonus to dodge equal to half your conviction, rounded UP. In addition when placed in an edged weapon, it gives a 1 die bonus to melee attacks.

Stone of Quick thought, it gives a 1die bonus to all Dex and Wits rolls.

So I say lets got with an Air manse, it has at least 2 nice lvl 1 hearth stones.
Unread 26th of March, 2009, 08:34
TocRat05
Spawn of Kyuss

“ Originally Posted by Thanos # The Group Manse
Everybody who puts a dot into the Group Manse will get a lv1 hearthstone. The hearthstone and manse will be my choice/design. However, the type of energy that the Manse is based on will be the players choice. It could be a Fire, Lunar, Solar, Earth, etc. All players with Group HS will get the benefit from the HS and Essence Regen equal to the level of the Group Manse (not the level of the HS).

The manse will be a base of operations in some cases, but you may or may not want to stay there. Depends on what you choose and what I find in the books that is cool.
”
Question o great and powerful GM type person, does this mean you and not us, your lowly and ever humble followers, will be selecting the specific hearthstone each character will get?
Unread 26th of March, 2009, 09:02
RelentlessNight
Spawn of Kyuss

Themeatically and from a roleplay perspective I think an ancient First Age Solar manse makes sense however I can see how from a hearthstone point of view you'd want something like Lunar or Air. And I second TocRat's question.
Unread 26th of March, 2009, 10:47
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Yes, I the ALL POWERFUL, with itty bitty living space, GM will decide which lv1 hearthstone the party receives. It will be the same HS for everybody. However, the special power of the Manse (as it will not do anything cool like teleport or have its own defensive guardian) is to allow each of the lv1 hearthstones to give Ess-Reg at the Manses rating (ie 10 motes per hour).