Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > -J-'s Games > Eberron

Unread 18th of March, 2006, 05:09
-J-
Dread Lord on High [Epic GM]

Member: #1006
Xp

Ok I find the other Rewards thread a bit confusing so i'm going to reorganize and try again. Like before you will get xp that you can spend and xp that I assign to an area. The reason for this is that the xp allotments for Hero (like most other RPG's) is based on the idea of a gaming session - which is easy to keep track of when you're playig table top, but not so easy when you're doing PbP. So while you'll get more fights in with table top, we get ALOT more roleplaying in PbP. So it becomes a balancing act between the players feeling like they're progressing their characters, and the GM worrying about characters getting too powerful.

So that's my goal - which is of course open to discussion.

Additionally, most of you have "zen" characters which means you don't see your sheet. If you no longer wish to play behind the veil, let me know and i'll post a version of your character sheet.
Unread 18th of March, 2006, 05:13
-J-

Reward Time

Ok here's what I'd like to try. When I award xp some of the xp i'll put directly toward a skill, and some you'll be able to put where you'd like. I will try to place my portion of your xp into skills that you have been using through roleplaying, the rest of the xp you can put where ever you'd like (post where you'd like the points to go)

Hero allows you to do all sorts of stuff with your xp, increase your stats, learn new skills, improve old skills, develope new talents and powers, etc, etc. Below is a list of common costs for things.

Strength = 1xp/pt of str
Dexterity = 3xp/pt of dex
Constitution = 2xp/pt of con
Body = 2xp/pt of body
Intelligence = 1xp/pt of Int
Ego = 2xp/pt of Ego
Presence = 1xp/pt of Pre
Physical Defense = 1xp/pt of PD
Energy Defense = 1xp/pt of ED
Recovery = 2xp/pt of Rec
Speed = 10xp/pt of speed
Endurance = 1/2 xp/pt of End
Stun = 1xp/pt stun

Once a stat has been bought past what is considered human maxima, the cost doubles (yes thats 20xp for a point of speed past speed 4). For those of you with Zen characters any stat that I described as preternaturaly high is already above human maxima. If you want a recap shoot me an email and i'll go through it again for you.

Movement
buying running is 2xp per point of running up to 10" (hexes) then it doubles
Leaping is 1xp per point of leaping up to 5"
Swimming is also 1xp per point of swimming up to 5"

Skill levels
Increase a skill you already have by one is almost always 2xp

Combat skill levels (CSL's)
CSLs are a bit more complicated in that they have many levels ranging from 1xp all the way up to 10xp but here is a brief breakdown of what the levels mean and what they can do.

1pt CSL give you a +1 to hit (OCV) with a particular weapon and a particular maneuver (+1 strike with a broadsword, or +1 with all strikes with a particular weapon)

2pt CSL - gives you a +1 to hit (OCV) with a particular weapon, OR with a particular maneuver (+1 to hit with all broadswords or +1 with all sword slashes)

3pt CSL - this is the bread and butter level because the bonus can be used for OCV or DCV (basically parrying) and also damage. A 3pt CSL can be used for any three combat maneuvers (ie grab, punch, and move through) or a tight group - like +1 with all swords, +1 with Nomenism spells, +1 with Dol Arrah sword style.

5pt CSL - here are some uses for a 5pt CSL
* +1 OCV, DCV, or damage with ALL HTH combat or ALL ranged combat
* +1 OCV, DCV, or damage with a related group of HTH and ranged attacks - ie U.S. Army infantry weapons, or All Martial Arts Weapons.
* +1 DCV vs all attack (HTH and Ranged)

8pt CSL - +1 OCV, DCV or damage with combat (HTH or ranged, any weapon)

each CSL has to be allocated at the begining of your phase and they stay that way until your next phase. Each skill level give you a +1, so 4 3pt CSLs would give you a +4 OCV, +4 DCV, +2 OCV & DCV, +3/+1, or what ever combination you want. If a CSL can be used to increase damage (3pt or above) it takes 2 CSLs to increase the damge of the attack by 1 Damage Class (DC).

Enhanced perception
+1 Perception (PER) for all sense groups 3xp
+1 PER for one sense group (all vision, all hearing, etc) 2xp
+1 PER with one sense (Normal Vision, Normal Hearing, UV Vision) 1xp

The difference between a sense group and a sense is usually moot for normal people. It only becomes important when you have more than one type of "vision" for example a wizard with a spell which gives him the power to "see" magic would gain a PER bonus from a 2pt skill level for vision, but not the 1pt skill level for normal sight.

Penalty skill levels
Penalty skill levels are skill levels bought to offset certain penalties, like for range, or for targeting a specific to hit location.

* 1 1/2 xp - +1 to offset a specific negative OCV modifier with a single attack (i.e. +1 vs range penalties with a light crossbow, +1 vs targeting penalties with broadswords)

* 2xp - +1 to offset the specific negative OCV modifier with any three maneuvers or tight group (+1 vs range penalties with all cross bows, +1 Targeting penalties with all swords)

* 3xp - +1 to offset the specific negative penalties with all attacks (+1 vs range penalties any weapon, +1 vs targeting penalties any weapon)

New Powers/spells/talents
xp can be used to develop new spells or abilities, but I would like at least a breif blurb in character about how you got it. For example if Leanna want to learn a new power word at sometime she should mention studying the Primal Tongue, or researching magic, or practicing with new words, something. This is not to try to screw you, its more of a way to make sure that a reader would believe the sudden developement of a new magical ability. Now in some of your cases you may wish to practice in secret, thats fine just shoot me an email.

Like wise with talents and the like, you can purchase some of them but often there needs to be something in game to validate it - for example just cause you have 2xp that doesn't mean that you can just buy the perk : Nobility and poof you're a noble. what you would need to do is either get in good with someone with the ability to grant noble titles, convince me to work a I'm-the-son-of-king Boronel-displaced-at-birth into the game or something similar. More likely than not most perks will actually be me rewarding your characters with xp (ie in the game you are knighted, you don't pay the 2xp for the perk you get it for "free")

Basically the true power of Hero is that it really isn't constrained by arbitrary rules (just my rules, which are NEVER arbitrary (shush erik) ), just a point total. You can do practically anything as long as you can afford it (no credit plans)

So that being said let's move on to your awards for burning down an Inn...

Last edited by -J-; 18th of March, 2006 at 07:10.
Unread 18th of March, 2006, 05:19
-J-

Xp Expenditures so far

Copper Cup xp - 2pts
Talruk - 2pts

Total earned XP to date - 6pts

Free Points you can spend by character

Azgot - Spent
Leanna 2xp
Careth 2xp
Saedra - Spent
Veit - spent

GM Awards

Azgot - Acrobatics @ Dex
Azgot - +1 to Constitution
Leanna - 1xp to your Nomenism skill
Leanna - 1xp to Body
Careth - Enhanced Perception : +1 w/Normal Vision (1xp)
Careth - 1 xp to Paramedic
Saedra - 1 xp to your Power Control skill
Saedra - 1xp to Constitution
Saedra - +1 Range Penalties with Spells
Veit - +1 Targeting Penalty skill levels with All Attacks
Veit - +1 Dexterity

Last edited by -J-; 1st of April, 2006 at 07:39.
Unread 31st of March, 2006, 06:47
Reinstadler
Bodak

Member: #1062
I'd like to put Veit's xp toward acting first; I think that was Hero's lightning reflexes.
Unread 31st of March, 2006, 10:20
-J-

You have two choices -

- You can buy Lightning reflexes (at either the 3pt level which will give you a +2 to all actions, or at the 1pt level which will give you a +1 for a single action or maneuver)

- Or you can increase your dex (which has a net cost of 2pts per point of dex - 3pts per point of dex, but then you sell back the increase in speed so its net cost is 2pts per point). Increaseing your dex increases your chances of going first plus it can raise your OCV and DCV.

For those of you reading this and freaking out over the gamerese don't fret. Erik has a copy of the rules so I can be more technical with him. Feel free rely on my judgment for xp placement
Unread 1st of April, 2006, 04:31
Reinstadler
Bodak

Member: #1062
Ok, then let's add the two points to dex, buy back the speed increase, and spend the remaining point on targeting penalty skill levels with Kostya.
Unread 1st of April, 2006, 04:51
-J-

Done
Unread 1st of April, 2006, 06:09
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #15
I want a level with range penalties with a tight group (my spells).

I don't know what I'm saying I was just told to post this here.
Unread 1st of April, 2006, 06:23
-J-

Done
Unread 1st of April, 2006, 06:25
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
I'd like an impervious neck!
Unread 1st of April, 2006, 06:30
-J-

um...that could be difficult. Have you thought of buying some sexy neck armor? Maybe a leather collar with spikes?
Unread 1st of April, 2006, 06:33
Gralhruk

Hmmm. Maybe I should get a dinosaur instead.

More seriously, I promise I'll distribute my xp soon. I got kind of busy today. I did get your e-mail, though.
Unread 1st of April, 2006, 06:35
-J-

dinosaurs are sexy
Unread 1st of April, 2006, 06:39
Gralhruk

Ah, Eberron: where the men are men and the dinosaurs are scared.