Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > Tournaments

Unread 17th of March, 2006, 10:21
Canadian
Ghoul [GM]

Member: #1674
Well what if I don't want to use counterspell in the opening round?

IE:

Round2:
PlayerX readies to counterspell
Canadian assumes Full Defense

Round3:
PlayerX casts fireball. 10 damage to Canadian for failing his reflex save.
Canadian passes concentration check to cast while taking damage. Canadian casts Summon Monster IV and places the creature(s) next to PlayerX.

Round4:
Summoned creatures arrive and attack PlayerX
PlayerX passes concentration check, casts Dispel Magic to unsummon the monsters.
Canadian casts Quickened Magic Missile and Slow at PlayerX.

And so on.

Why should I have to use a counterspell? I didn't build my character to sit there taking turns exchanging blows with another caster. I built him to cast spells while his opponent casts spells at the same time. If my opponent wants to stand by while I'm casting spells so they can counter then go ahead, but I sure don't expect to be doing that.
Unread 17th of March, 2006, 10:22
Canadian
Ghoul [GM]

Member: #1674
Originally Posted by Boomlaor Re: second round casting

What about casting a spell which takes a full round to cast (e.g. summon monster)? It wouldn't complete 'till round 3.
I second that question. And if that's allowed, then I'm dropping one of my feats for the Delay Spell metamagic feat
Unread 17th of March, 2006, 11:13
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Member: #1477
Black Plauge: My example was countering a quickened magic missile. After that was counterspelled the caster could then follow up with a 5th level spell as a standard action on the same round and before his opponent could ready another action.

Boomlaor: No, you can't start casting a spell on the 2nd round just like you can't prepare an action to cast a spell.

Think of it this way. When the duel begins you have six seconds to cast a spell. Then you have six seconds to prepare (a readied action to counterspell). So if seven seconds after the duel starts you start casting a spell, the archmage will counter it immediately, he won't wait to see if it comes in after the twelve second start time.
Unread 17th of March, 2006, 11:36
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Canadian: You absolutely will not be forced to counterspell if you don't want to. The reason for the 2nd round counterspell action is to give the duelist who loses initiative an extra chance to avoid a one-spell-kill besides just a saving throw.

Really, whoever wins initiative doesn't have to prepare to do anything. He is going to go first on the 3rd round anyway. It is just tradition that he prepare to counterspell, whether he is going to use it or not.

You can check in Complete: Arcane on page 175 for the rules of the Spell Duel that this contest is based on.
Unread 17th of March, 2006, 11:53
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Originally Posted by Canadian Well what if I don't want to use counterspell in the opening round?

IE:

Round2:

Round3:
PlayerX casts fireball. 10 damage to Canadian for failing his reflex save.
Canadian passes concentration check to cast while taking damage. Canadian casts Summon Monster IV and places the creature(s) next to PlayerX.

Round4:
Summoned creatures arrive and attack PlayerX
PlayerX passes concentration check, casts Dispel Magic to unsummon the monsters.
Canadian casts Quickened Magic Missile and Slow at PlayerX.

And so on.

Why should I have to use a counterspell? I didn't build my character to sit there taking turns exchanging blows with another caster. I built him to cast spells while his opponent casts spells at the same time. If my opponent wants to stand by while I'm casting spells so they can counter then go ahead, but I sure don't expect to be doing that.
You are a little off on the timing of things above. Here is how it would actually play out.

Round2:

Round3:
PlayerX casts fireball. 10 damage to Canadian for failing his reflex save. (Damage would actually average 31.5 points of damage on a failed save, but that's not really important here.)
Canadian begins casting Summon Monster IV. There is no need for a concentration check.

Round4:
PlayerX casts a spell, let's say Magic Missile, and damages Canadian for another 10 damage. (Actual average damage would be 17.5.)
Canadian, if he is still up, makes a concentration check to keep his Summon Monster IV spell. Assuming he passes the creature appears next to PlayerX.
Canadian's turn the monster attacks PlayerX and Canadian casts Quickened Magic Missile and Slow at PlayerX.

Now, you could have added a counterspell to stop the fireball and still be able to do all of the other actions that were listed for you in the exact same order.

It would look like this:

Round2:
Canadian readies to counterspell

Round3:
PlayerX casts fireball.
Canadian's action is triggered and the fireball is countered (assuming you make all the rolls). Canadian's initiative is now set to just before PlayerX.

Round4:
Canadian begins to cast Summon Monster IV.
PlayerX casts Magic Missile and damages Canadian for 10 damage. Canadian, makes a concentration check to keep his Summon Monster IV spell.

Round5:
Canadian's monster appears.
Canadian's turn the monster attacks PlayerX and Canadian casts Quickened Magic Missile and Slow at PlayerX.
PlayerX, (if he is still up) can now cast something else.

And on it would go.

Last edited by Lord Twig; 17th of March, 2006 at 12:11.
Unread 18th of March, 2006, 03:20
random_person_number_873
Ghoul

Member: #1521
This may sound like a stupid question, but I haven't played many spell casters and don't know all the rules for spell casting. What is the DC for the saves on spells? It's spellcasting level + ??. And I once again apologize for my ignorance.
Allow me Lord to rock out naked
-Red Hot Chili Peppers
Unread 18th of March, 2006, 03:21
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
DC=10+spell level+modifying attribute bonus
Unread 18th of March, 2006, 07:23
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #1476
Can you cast Touch spells in the first round? Touch spells don't target anything, that just create a charge; can I choose to cast a Touch spell in the first round (not touching anyone, of course, as it's definitely out of reach and against the rules) and just hold the charge, then charge in to deliver the charge (or have familiar do so) in the 3rd round, thus negating the possibility of the spell being countered in the 2nd round?

Light, is the lack of darkness.
Unread 18th of March, 2006, 08:19
random_person_number_873
Ghoul

Member: #1521
LT: would there possibly be any exceptions to allow a divine spell caster as an Entropomancer in the tourney? I really wanna try one out.
Allow me Lord to rock out naked
-Red Hot Chili Peppers
Unread 18th of March, 2006, 09:58
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Darken: No, I am going to stick with the targeting yourself spells. You could of course target yourself with a touch spell. The purpose of the 1st round is to give you a chance to get at least one short duration defensive spell up.

Random: No, arcane casters only this time around.
Unread 21st of March, 2006, 15:46
Boomlaor
Devourer

Member: #1478
is it possible to scribe a scroll with a metamagic feat applied? If so, how much extra does it cost?
Unread 22nd of March, 2006, 06:58
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Yes. Use the metamagic adjusted level to compute the cost, otherwise the cost calculation is the same.
Unread 24th of March, 2006, 08:56
Boomlaor
Devourer

I had what I thought was a great idea, but I want to make sure i'm not overcomplicating things. Reading a scroll normally is a standard action. If I scribe a quickened scroll, is reading it still a standard action or is it a free action?
Unread 24th of March, 2006, 10:35
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Activating a scroll is a standard action by itself. So a quickened scroll would not be worthwhile. It makes me wonder about spells with longer casting times however.
Unread 25th of March, 2006, 10:42
Boomlaor
Devourer

would it be possible to deliver touch spells with a shuriken of spellstoring? And if so, I assume that the shuriken would be recoverable between rounds?
Unread 28th of March, 2006, 08:56
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Boomlaor: Sorry I didn't answer your question sooner.

Since shuriken count as ammunition they would be destroyed after they hit their target, and might be destroyed even if they miss. Fifty +1 spell storing shurikens would cost 8310gp. I couldn't find any rules on this, but I will rule that all 50 shuriken can store a total of one spell. You could not store 50 spells, one in each shuriken. After the spell is expended by a shuriken that hit, all other shurikens would be just +1 until you could cast another spell into them. Also, you would have to buy all 50 shurikens and spend the full 8310gp. This goes with the rule that all charged items must be purchased with full charges.
Unread 28th of March, 2006, 09:02
Boomlaor
Devourer

One last question then, would 50 shuriken as described for 8310gp violate the 5000gp cap on expendibles rule? If so I'll change back to the kama.
Unread 28th of March, 2006, 09:36
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

The signup thread has been cleaned and locked. All deleted posts are recoverable, so let me know if you need something from one of those posts.

I think you should still be able to edit your posts in the sign-up if you want to add images. If you can't, let me know and I'll re-open it so that you can do so.
Unread 28th of March, 2006, 09:52
Boomlaor
Devourer

Nope, no more edit button.
Unread 28th of March, 2006, 11:20
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Originally Posted by Boomlaor One last question then, would 50 shuriken as described for 8310gp violate the 5000gp cap on expendibles rule? If so I'll change back to the kama.
No, the 5,000gp cap was for one-use items. Since this has basically 50 uses it will fall into the same category as wands. So as long as it is under 10,000gp you are ok.

It is probably good that you can not edit the entries as they should not change during the game. Adding pictures would be fine though.
Unread 28th of March, 2006, 13:08
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

I'll reopen it for pictures and then close it again when the matches start.
Unread 28th of March, 2006, 13:46
Boomlaor
Devourer

Just got a copy of complete arcane, so I swapped out a couple spells for Frizznik (was strictly SRD before). I'll change them back if I need to since this is at the last second (obviously couldn't change them during the tourney.)
Unread 28th of March, 2006, 14:33
Flagg Thornington
Mohrg

Member: #952
So how do we determine character position in terms of three-dimensional movement, for example Flying?
Unread 28th of March, 2006, 14:36
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Boomlaor: I will allow it since you got it in before the matches actually started.

Flagg: If there is flying I will note the character's height next to his marker.
Unread 29th of March, 2006, 09:34
Lord Twig
Nightwing

I have modified the rules to reflect that you may take the total defense action on the second round instead of readying a counterspell. I have also added a line to reinforce the no-movement rule during the first two rounds.