Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Cognitive Yammering

Unread 25th of February, 2013, 19:32
Church
Spectre [GM]

Member: #10480
FantasyCraft - the new DnD?

A friend of mine has been trying to get me to join his upcoming tabletop game of FantasyCraft. I admit I'm tempted, based upon what I've heard, but wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts/opinions/experiences with the game before I did.

From what I understand, the game is DnD 3.5 meets SpyCraft v2.0 - the combat does NOT require a battlemap or miniatures (which I love to hear), and the wealth of character creation options are expansive; all the reviews I've read have also been very positive, but they're all written by people who have READ the game, but not PLAYED it.
Unread 25th of February, 2013, 20:34
Church
Spectre [GM]

Apparently, I was researching the WRONG game. >_< The RPG he's on about is Dungeon World, not FantasyCraft. Still, anyone played/ran either of these two?
Unread 26th of February, 2013, 01:13
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
I've played a little bit of FantasyCraft, and a little bit more Spycraft 2.0. They're both great systems. I'd say Spycraft has more polish than the former, but it's an older product so that's to be expected. DMs, in particular, may appreciate the ability to build NPCs and monsters without class constraints. That was one of my favorite features, anyway.

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 26th of February, 2013, 01:17
Church
Spectre [GM]

Yeah, I had heard that NPC stats were tabled and compared to average PC level, or something similar?
Unread 26th of February, 2013, 05:48
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Dungeon World is a hack of Vincent Baker's Apocalypse World. It's a full hack, meaning you don't need the original AW to play, but that's where it came from. It's interesting, and I like the basic ideas (because I like Apocalypse World), but it's different enough from d20, which even Spycraft 2.0 is still fairly close to, that it may not scratch the same itch.

I highly recommend Dungeon World even though I haven't played or run it, as it's just a good read and has distilled D&D (I think) in such a way as to allow story-gaming and D&D to work in tangent, which is usually not the case.
Unread 26th of February, 2013, 06:05
Church
Spectre [GM]

I do like how Dungeon World allows the players to interpret die results off their own back more than most other games. Or, at least, that's how the book reads so far.
Unread 26th of February, 2013, 09:37
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
The key to Dungeon World & Apocalypse World both is the game mechanics are directly tied into the game fiction. They also feature a much less stringent learning curve then your d20 variants. You can hand a new player a playbook and be ready to go in short order.

Fantasy Craft features a lot more crunch and (out of the box) almost no fluff. Its main advantage is how modular it is, letting you pick and choose elements to run different kinds of games using the one system.

Last edited by Darius; 27th of February, 2013 at 00:09.
Unread 26th of February, 2013, 23:54
Church
Spectre [GM]

I must admit, both systems look interesting. However, I'm still more inclined to run a fantasy game using the D6 Fantasy ruleset than either of them, at least until I have a better grasp of their rules.
Unread 1st of March, 2013, 23:47
Church
Spectre [GM]

The more I look over Fantasy Craft, the more I like it. The greater number of character races alone makes me go, "huh!" I mean... you can play a mother fudgin' DRAKE. O_O

But by the same token, the rules-lite, narrative-focused approach of Dungeon World is also amazing.

Then again, for fantasy, you can't beat The One Ring. Anyone who's a Tolkien fan should pick that up.

Last edited by Church; 2nd of March, 2013 at 02:30.