Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > beowulf's Games > Changeling: the Lost

Unread 13th of May, 2011, 10:53
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

Member: #9289
You guys shouldn't start with a Motley pledge; if everyone goes along with the starting scenario I have planned we'll get the Motley all pledged up in the first few posts.
Unread 13th of May, 2011, 15:45
obgoblin
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #9307
Should we therefore not have a group Hollow, either?
Unread 13th of May, 2011, 16:40
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

You raise a good point. Hm. Go ahead and start with a Motley pledge if you like; that's the only way it makes sense to have a shared Hallow, I guess.

When the game starts there might be some modifications to the pledge, or a new pledge to take in addition. It depends on where the game goes.
Unread 13th of May, 2011, 20:52
AbidingDude
Zombie

Member: #9299
If the motley-ing is going to happen in the near future, it's not unreasonable to invest the dots now, and claim the hollow in the first little while, especially if that makes the story go better.
Unread 14th of May, 2011, 11:14
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

I posted the rules for Keys. You may take two Keys as a starting character, and if you have Clarity XP you may buy up to one additional Key (for a total of three) for 5 XP. You may buy a new Key during play for 5 XP, any time you're allowed to spend XP (between stories, between or during appropriate scenes, at the end of an act, etc).

You'll notice that you can only get the 1 XP from Aspect Keys three times per act. That pretty much means three times per thread, as each IC thread will be its own act.

We don't have sessions, this being a PbP game, so we're going to use an arbitrary unit that I will refer to as an act. At the end of any scene where I as the ST would end a face-to-face session, I will instead close the thread and start a new act. The IC threads will be called something like "Chapter 1, Act 1". Chapters are also arbitrary, but like acts they represent something like story arcs, with a beginning, middle, and end. Whenever we feel like we've accomplished something big, I'll end the chapter. Maybe that's when I'll give out bonus XP (outside of Keys), maybe.

Chapter ends are also when we'll do housekeeping. We'll clean up your sheets and maybe swap some things around if it's appropriate.

Touch your nose if you're confused! Let me know if you don't understand anything I've said. I'm not terribly good at teaching people things.
Unread 16th of May, 2011, 22:30
GIJ00
Ghoul

Member: #7593
Alrighty! Thanks to the rules for Keys being posted I should have my character up sometime today.
Unread 16th of May, 2011, 23:28
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

ob, your Key of Origin is sweet. However, Motivation keys are made using the following rules:

Motivations. When the motivation is fulfilled in play, gain an experience point. When the motivation is fulfilled against good odds, gain three experience points.

So you should rewrite it with a 1 XP and a 3 XP line. Something like "Gain 1 XP every time you uncover something about your past. Gain 3 XP whenever you come face-to-face with a piece of your past."

Coming face-to-face with a piece of your past meaning something like encountering an old friend or family member, an old haunt, an old possession, etc. You don't have to go with my XP lines, I just wanted to provide an example.
Unread 17th of May, 2011, 05:30
obgoblin
Unanimated Corpse

Fixed. Sorry boss, I skipped straight to the examples.
Unread 17th of May, 2011, 05:46
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

I mean it's not like you can read anyway. Wait.
Unread 17th of May, 2011, 05:51
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

Alright, starting the game today didn't work out. Let's set a new deadline: have all your character stuff done and approved by Wednesday so I can write an initial post on Thursday (and then go out of town for three days). Think we can do that?
Unread 17th of May, 2011, 09:04
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

Also, we are wicked heavy in the social, political, and in investigative areas. This is not bad! It does tell me that you guys are more interested in intrigue, mystery, and politics than you are in say, murdering shit.

We've also got a pretty healthy amount of occult expertise and focuses on Changeling society, so that tells me you want to deal with supernatural stuff more than mundane issues.

We don't have all the sheets in yet, so this is just speculation on my part, but am I getting the right idea?
Unread 17th of May, 2011, 10:05
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

Member: #7805
where can I find information on keys?
Unread 17th of May, 2011, 10:26
obgoblin
Unanimated Corpse

Originally Posted by Captain Gavis # where can I find information on keys?
Key stuff is in the sticky thread here, Cap'n.

Originally Posted by beowulf # [W]e are wicked heavy in the social, political, and in investigative areas. This is not bad! It does tell me that you guys are more interested in intrigue, mystery, and politics than you are in say, murdering shit.
I wouldn't mind a little out-of-my-element violence now and again, but this seems like a good characterization to me.

Originally Posted by beowulf # I mean it's not like you can read anyway. Wait.
Pretty amazing what 1000 dire monkeys on 1000 dire typewriters can do, eh? Almost like we're having a real conversatiopotato.
Unread 17th of May, 2011, 20:21
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

are those the only pre-made keys?
Unread 17th of May, 2011, 23:17
AbidingDude
Zombie

I think I'm set. If you could check my keys and let me know if we are starting with the Motley Pledge in place, or whether we're forming the motley in play, I'd appreciate it.
Unread 18th of May, 2011, 03:56
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

Captain--yeah, those are the only premade Keys. You're encouraged to create your own, though! Let me know if you need help with that.
Unread 18th of May, 2011, 07:02
GIJ00
Ghoul

Member: #7593
Originally Posted by beowulf # Also, we are wicked heavy in the social, political, and in investigative areas. This is not bad! It does tell me that you guys are more interested in intrigue, mystery, and politics than you are in say, murdering shit.

We've also got a pretty healthy amount of occult expertise and focuses on Changeling society, so that tells me you want to deal with supernatural stuff more than mundane issues.

We don't have all the sheets in yet, so this is just speculation on my part, but am I getting the right idea?
I think there are a *few* of us with the ability to hit things with pointy sticks, but the majority seem to have opted for non-combat characters, yes.
Unread 18th of May, 2011, 07:58
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

As an OOC tidbit: my character is hulking brute with smashy-type abilities but his personality may conflict with perceiving him as a war monger
Unread 19th of May, 2011, 03:37
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

Oh I'm sure you guys will be fine smashing things to bits, it just seems that we have other preferred focuses. Worry not! There will be time to smash.
Unread 21st of May, 2011, 09:03
beowulf
Zombie [GM]

Okay, I'm heading out of town. I won't be able to reply until Monday or so, but as soon as I get home I'll take care of everything that needs taking care of.

Ob, can you get a hold of our mutual friend and ascertain his progress?

Some of your Keys need some work, so we'll talk about that on Monday too. Generally, if the premade Key listed doesn't fit what you want exactly, you should write your own. Take a look at the Keys you've modified and try to write your own. I promise it's not as hard as it seems.

I'll be back Monday to see what you've done and help out.

Cheers!
Unread 26th of May, 2011, 03:26
AbidingDude
Zombie

You back beowulf?

If so, are my keys alright?
Unread 28th of May, 2011, 10:04
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

hey you all! Is this game still gonna be going down?
Unread 1st of June, 2011, 21:02
AbidingDude
Zombie

I'm still alive. (and I'm doing Science, but not in that order). I'm still interested in this thing if Beowulf should return. (Also, I hope the reason for his absence is along the lines of "My computer died" or "My ISP screwed up" and not "My house was ground 0 for some of the nasty weather that's happened lately")