Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Chris Chandler's Games > Epicureans

Unread 25th of March, 2014, 01:25
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Member: #2980
Malak turns into a bat and flies up (carefully, using typical Bat senses to avoid hitting the sky hard) towards the sky to touch it. "Excuse me while I kiss the sky..."
Unread 25th of March, 2014, 14:24
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Member: #2781
I stand up in the water. I mean, really, what's the worst that could happen? I don't interrupt Omni's conversation, though, except with my dazzling (but silent) beauty.
Unread 26th of March, 2014, 03:56
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Malak is distracted by Mizuki's dazzling (but silent) beauty and accidentally flies into the sky.
Unread 27th of March, 2014, 05:23
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Member: #2777
"Oh, hey Lady bird. Is it wet in there?"
Unread 27th of March, 2014, 07:23
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

Member: #1475
The lady, not surpisingly, is surprised by the sudden burst of activity. She laughs in delight as Malak's bat form flies up to the sky and gently brushes the fresco ceiling. You are, indeed, in a dome.

Omnifrost and Muzuki nearly converse, and the Swan bows to the lady, who, smiling wide, nods in greeting. She introduces herself as the Lada Alana.

After introductions, she asks -

Would you travelers care to take in the hospitality of my household? I am the lady of the keep on the hill, and you are welcome to stay as my guests.

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 27th of March, 2014, 14:56
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Malak alights, transforming once more into a bear-man as he does, "We would be honored."
Unread 28th of March, 2014, 09:07
Doombot
Spirit of the Spartan Nation [Epic]

Member: #1704
Furthermore, The Lady may have some information about leaving this place. I offered our aid in this matter, as it could be to our mutual benefit.
Unread 17th of April, 2014, 00:46
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

"By all means, lead the way!"
Unread 18th of April, 2014, 03:50
Chris Chandler

Alana steps lightly through the grass and along the path toward the keep. As she walks, she hums a light tune, simple and melodic, though only OmniFrost and Mizuki would even recognize the mode and the style of the song. Neither of you have ever head the actual tune, though. The style, however, is ancient.

It takes relatively little time for the group to reach the keep. It is a simple affair, a single square tower built up on the top of a hillock, with a few outbuildings surrounding the tower, and a low stone wall along the perimeter. As you pass the gate, you see a picturesque scene of common laborers happily at work, toting milk, tending a small garden, smithing shoes and rods; simple work being completed without the dirt and smoke associated with those labors outside the mural. Collectively they notice your group's arrival, stop what they are doing, and move toward Alana, with friend, questioning eyes.

Alana speaks -

Aros, OmniFrost, Malak, and Mizuki, may I present my home and household. Marella-

She gestures to the shy young woman who had been toting milk.

When you finish with your task, please ask that Miss Owena join me in the main hall. We have guests who require refreshment.

The girl nods quickly, and peeks a smile at you newcomers, then lumbers off, yoke and buckets swaying carefully with her stride.

Alana takes you to the center of the grounds, and into the keep itself. The entryway is dim, lit by torches producing no smoke, and is wholly unremarkable, with not decor nor pieces of art. She turns aside to the right hand, into a much more hospitable room, with a large oaken table set for 20 dominating the far end. Nearer your entrance you see many chairs and cushions in a loose circle, where she directs you. She sits on a simple oversized sedan chair and beckons for you to do similarly. She lets out a sigh.

Though the circumstances are terrible, I do not deny it is lovely to see new faces in my home. We should be enjoy some respite and refreshment in short order, and I would love, if you are willing, to hear of your travels, and how they ended up within the domain of... Well, where you ended up. Aros, here, was kind enough to provide me with an abbreviated tale, but I would love to hear more. New voices would be a song to my ears.

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 21st of April, 2014, 05:22
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

If there's one thing Malak loves, it's a good tale. His eyes visibly light up at the prospect of a chance to tell it.
Unread 1st of May, 2014, 01:59
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

(I say go for it. I would love to hear someone else's summary as a refresher anyway. )
Unread 3rd of May, 2014, 03:10
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

(OK, but I'm going to do it without reading the past posts! So we'll see how good I am at remembering a story from 7 years ago!)
Unread 7th of May, 2014, 01:47
Chris Chandler

((This is perfect - I would love to hear a skewed memory recollection!))

Unread 8th of May, 2014, 04:44
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

((Rock it dude! I never look back at previous post, so it's going to be fun seeing how we remember things.))
Unread 12th of May, 2014, 13:49
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Malak leans back into his chair with all the ease and comfort of a man who has spent the last 20 years living in a desolate, frozen wasteland. Eventually he gives up and sits on the floor. (still in Hybrid form, mind you!)

"Some of this tale is not mine to tell, so I will not tell it, but what I can tell is sufficient, I believe. I am Malak, called The Bowman by some. For many long years I stood watch in the high and desolate peaks of a mountain range unknown to many in the word - and indeed on a world far from both this place here and the place to which this place is anchored. I stood watch, I say, for it had been given to me and to my companion Ambrose to watch over a place of power, that it might not be perverted to the uses of evil men, should they find it. I will not speak much of that place, but suffice it to say that in the course of my duty I was long engaged in the slaying of many undead, to the point that my days were constantly filled with the hunt of the unliving and their slaughter, while my only companion was the persistent sanctified spirit of a paladin by whose side I served.

When the time was right, new guardians made their appearance - by fate - and I relinquished my task, entering into this place of power. The very next thing that I knew was that there was hot sand down my pants - quite the shock in contrast to the ice and snow of the mountains. But indeed I found myself buried in what proved to be a sand dune within a vast desert. Even more curious, as I dug my way to the surface I found that three others had arrived in similar fashion to myself both in transition and time.

We four stand before you, both journeying to find the purpose for which we are summoned here, but also why we four are brought here together.

And so after many deliberations of our situation and after many attempts to move past the suspicion of strangers, we made to journey across the desert towards more hospitable lands, and so we traveled.

As we journeyed, we came across an amazing thing. It seemed a field of funerary tokens, yet there was clearly some sort of space in the center left empty. As we drew near, a massive creature emerged from the sand there. It was like unto a giant insect, but undead. Foul and repugnant, and yet rather than attack us to consume our life force, it spoke with us. I must confess, it was no small matter for me to stay my hand from the bow. I have spent nearly the entirety of my life slaying those undead on sight, but these ladies with whom I am journeying felt it prudent to speak with it instead of slaying it and so I waited, intending to cleanse the land of the creature's presence once they finished. But no sooner than had the conversation drawn to a close than we found ourselves beset on both sides by attacking armies (or so we thought). Attacking armies they were indeed, but both were bent on the destruction of the other, with not thought given to ourselves. In the chaos of the battle we made fast our escape and continued towards greener lands.

Eventually, after not quite a day's journey, we drew near to several campfires in the night. Parting company, we made to scout both, but even as we drew near to them, we were attacked in the darkness. Captain Aros and I made quick work of our foes and continued to draw near to the camp. There we met a slaver, driving a large number of his wares in the general direction of a market. He was a base man and ruled the men of his number with a hard hand, and we could see that even as we spoke he was planning to have us waylaid and stripped of our arms and armor. They attacked suddenly as we made parlay in their camp, Captain Aros and I were outnumbered ten to one or more, and worse yet they had surrounded us. I will not burden you with the details of the battle, but suffice it to say that he and I are here speaking to you, and their number are not. We freed the slaves and brought them to the other campfire, where Ladies Omnifrost and Mizuki had joined with some much more friendly merchants and traders. They welcomed these freed slaves to their care and promised to give them shelter until such a time as they could be returned to their homes."

(here Malak pauses, both gathering his thoughts but also giving any of the others opportunity to add to the previously told tale)

((please note, Malak actually tells the story a lot better than me. ))
Unread 15th of May, 2014, 06:00
Doombot

I cross my arms and listen mutely, raising my hand to my mouth only to conceal a grin at the sight of his extravagant gestures and nearly believable embellishments.
Unread 16th of May, 2014, 03:51
Chris Chandler

Elena nods and smiles, listening intently. At the pause, she exclaims -

What a horror to be cast as a guardian against the thralls of death. Good Malak, you weave a rousing tale.

She looks around to the group, speaking to them as a whole -

Once you met with these merchants, what then? Did you travel with them? Oh, I have long dreamed of travelling the long roads across the burning heat to visit the palace of a Sultan, or to visit the places where so many tales of wonder were birthed.

She definitely seems happy, enamored, even, despite the storyteller's ursine form.

Unread 17th of May, 2014, 03:48
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Malak beams in response to his host's enthusiasm as well as that of his companions. With a broad grin, he continues:

Indeed, did we journey with these stalwart merchants towards their destination - a vast city teeming with people and trade. And yet, as we conversed with them, we realized that our journey to discover the reason for which we were transported to this place lay not with the merchants, but in another direction. You see, the world in which we traveled was one bereft of that which supplies magic. Practically, then, bereft of magic. Those with great power had managed to consolidate their power by gathering to themselves all those who could wield magic in such hostile conditions, and perhaps even those items which could sustain it. With a great deal of effort I was able to work a spell, to give us a lay of the land on a greater scale. Based on that information, milady Omnifrost transported us to one such nexus of people and power. As we drew near, we once more found farmland. Green, verdant farmland and rolling hills - rather than the heat of the desert. Ancient trees rimmed the dell in which my wife and I had carved out our farmstead - initially with our own bear hands until such a time as we could fashion implements. It was hard work but satisfying. Peaceful, distant from any troubles or trials. War and conflict were a distant memory, and the only hardship we knew was that of working the land....

Malak drifts off mid-sentence, his eyes are unfocused and without any intention at all, he has transformed from hybrid form to human.
Unread 21st of May, 2014, 11:10
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

I sit and listen contently. Not worrying about any details, I find Malak's tale positively enchanting. I wait to hear more, but take a second to look around when he pauses a second time.
Unread 23rd of May, 2014, 04:02
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Malak shakes his head and looks down. No, this is not right... he takes a moment to gather his thoughts and looks once more to their host, Forgive me. Ever since arriving on the desert world, my memory has been plagued and troubled with memories that are....not my own. And yet they seem my own. Powerfully so.

He looks down at his hands, and as he does so he changes once more into his warrior form, "This is the one truth which anchors me. In my memories I am but a man, yet my whole life I have been both bear and man. For this reason alone I know that the memories are not mine."

He breathes out his nose once, sharply, and continues with his story.

That I could see, there were no verdant hills on this forsaken planet. Cactii being the only recurring plant life of note, and as we approached the city that was our destination, we did so across a broad flat plain, perhaps a once ancient basin. Yet nonetheless, the city contained within the walls was teeming with life - albeit life ripped from the unwilling hands of a desolate planet.

"We were not long there before before a cry for aid was sounded, and being men and women of action, we moved towards that cry. It originated from a house that at first appeared to be on fire, cries for help coming from within. And yet the people did not respond to the cries, and so our number did so."
He shakes his head, "It proved to be a trap, and one of cunning design. Within we found a household intact, yet with strange prisoners, both demonic and twisted. Moreso, having gained the house from various points of entry, we found our party both split and scattered. The inner house was dimensionally different from the outer house, and we men were separated irreparably from the ladies. Separately, both parties sought exit, and found it in the form of a stairway descending into what proved a vast labrynth. Therewithin we encountered powerful demons which attempted to oppose us and yet failed. Eventually we rejoined the ladies, but only after they had opposed and, at least temporarily, defeated an undead sorcerer of no small power. Having done so, and while still seeking exit, we encountered a powerful dragon who, I am ashamed to say, tricked us into entering this prison in which we all now sit.
Unread 28th of May, 2014, 07:33
Chris Chandler

Elena is rapt with attention, and only starts with a slight frown when it is clear that Malak's tale is complete, as such it is. She looks around in wonder, finally stopping at Aros -

Is it true? Your companion - He possesses the voice of a man, the mind of a man, and the body of the fell beast... Yet he claims to house the memories of a simple farmer. You have the look of a campaign weary myrmidon, a fell beast in your own right, but speak with the calm demeanor of a statesman. Do you -

She then breaks off to the rest of the group again -

Do you all house memories from another? A second life, as it were? Fascinating.

She pauses for a moment and then says -

The dragon, she spoke to you? If so, then I hesitate to say she was malicious in intent. Her speech indicates free will, and she is only as capricious as any dragon. I would say, rather, that she sent you here to protect you, hoping you would have means of escaping this prison.

Unread 21st of June, 2014, 05:07
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Omni simply waits for the others, she is in a calm wait and see mode for the time being.
Unread 25th of June, 2014, 10:09
Doombot

I nod in response to Elena's query. I am a captain of soldiers, and a warlord, leader of armies. I have served my country with distinction, and I have pillaged countless cities. But I am not clear on which history is the true one. I have my suspicions, but truth is elusive. I do not doubt what my friend says.

As for leaving this prison - I do not know much about such things, but I feel that if anyone might know, such folk as we have here are among them,
I gesture to my travelign companions.
Unread 22nd of July, 2014, 09:33
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

I smile as Aros motions, 'My memories are more similar than my companions, and taken in account my habit of talking before I think, and jumping into trouble, I'm pretty sure which one is correct. I suspect the other is something I picked up from another plane while I was traveling through the vortex on my why here'.
Unread 12th of August, 2014, 07:29
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I frown. "My memory is intact and undisturbed. But I also do not seem to share their other problems, either."

Are you there, Scratch? Can you feel this? How far apart are we truly?

It's been ages since I checked in properly. This conversation pains me.