Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Darken's Games > Rivalry

Unread 26th of January, 2008, 09:34
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Member: #894
Dang, it would have been nice to know what the Avatar thing was ;-)

It would be helpful to know where in the Anauroch the 'rift' corrisponds to....

http://koti.mbnet.fi/~cerberus/kuvat/forgotten%20realms%20map%20full.jpg

Something else to ponder in this wondrous adventure. How in the name of Mystra will the Avatar spell ever work again. The previous Mystra (reborn from the goddess who sacrificed herself) changed the nature of magic such that powerful spells (and Mythalls as well) could no longer be cast. In game terms, spells only go up to level 9 now, instead of the insane lv10 spells that were previously possible. Am I missing something here, like a serious story element, or some such?

Last edited by Thanos; 26th of January, 2008 at 10:00.
Unread 26th of January, 2008, 12:43
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #1476
For details, you may refer to the core event thread.

Basically what happens is this: Karsus' Avatar is a level 12 spell, which is obviously banned as it's above level 9, and not castable via the Weave (or the Shadow Weave. Shar is not stupid enough to allow that even if it kills some other deity as it is too powerful). However, as Mythals generate magical power on its own, it can power spells above level 9, bypassing the restriction currently in place. Think of Mythals as unintelligent mini-Weaves. Thus, if someone possess both the spell scroll and an operational Mythal, he/she/it may conceivably cast the spell.

The only way to stop someone who possesses both would be for a god to directly interfer into the mortal realm, which is specifically prohibited by Ao unless not doing so would harm the deity - so unless the spell is already being cast, and targetting a particular god, no gods may interfer by Ao's rule. Even in that event only the targetted god may interfer.

Light, is the lack of darkness.
Unread 26th of January, 2008, 14:15
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Member: #1480
Also, remember that the new epic rules already cheat in those regards. Sure, there are no spells above 9th level...let's just call them "epic" spells and not assign them a level at all and it all works out

Kiara likes ranting and babbling. However, she is physically incapable of doing anything flashy that requires hand-to-eye coordination. And it's funny how well Arel already figured out much of her personality.

As for the bones, they'll be saved for another moment. So much potential shock value and fun. "Karsus' bones? Oh, I got those in my pocket, just a moment. What do you mean where I got them? I found them. They were just lying around."
Unread 26th of January, 2008, 14:26
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

It's most unfortunate, I had planned that each player would obtain a couple of interesting items and a few clues, which eventually can be pieced together... it would be great if I can get everyone back. However, in that case I'll probably overspent myself again and bad things happen. Kiara just happens to be the ones who progressed the fastest and got a couple of toys way ahead of other people; otherwise funnier exchanges may occur sooner.

"Oh you have Karsus' bones? Here I have Cyric's old boots."

"Ooooh, nice. Here, check out Midnight's panty."

It's also too bad Lashiman's player had to quit after the 3ebb transition, I even prepared something in the event he tries to use the scroll somehow.

Last edited by Darken; 26th of January, 2008 at 14:29.
Unread 26th of January, 2008, 14:37
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Hehe. The ghost of Karsus is freed and wants his body back?

"I am Karsus, come to reclaim my flesh."

"Nope, not going to happen. First off, I found your bones fair and square. Do you have any idea how much trouble that was? Second is the point that these are bones. I don't know what flesh you're interested in, but yours has rotted away quite a few centuries ago, silly mortal. Third, I think you're an arrogant idiot. I wouldn't sell you those bones for all the gold in Toril, just out of general principle."

"I WILL HAUNT YOU!" *creepy voice*

"Yeah, unless you can teleport around at will, I'm really not worried about you being able to keep up with me. Go away, silly ghost, before I use my shoppers' discount card to get another scroll of Sunburst."
Unread 29th of January, 2008, 03:00
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Could we get a location in the PM where the Rift corrisponds to?
Unread 29th of January, 2008, 03:42
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

You could always ask that in character, it's a perfectly valid question
Unread 29th of January, 2008, 05:30
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

The rift happened somewhere between Shadowdale in Dalelands and Silverymoon in Silver March; i.e. the tentative travel route of Lashiman. So, yes, it does cross the Anauroch, if Astral travel takes the straight line approach. It is interdetermine as to where exactly.

Unread 29th of January, 2008, 07:11
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Yay for dead magic zones! Kiara wishes to spontaneously master Shadow Weave Magic. Or she'll just attempt to tell the dead magic zone that she's a shadow weave user. How high can the sense motive of a dead magic zone be, anyway?
Unread 29th of January, 2008, 07:38
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

Their sense motive modifiers equals your bluff modifier +21.

Unread 29th of January, 2008, 07:42
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Darn. Curse those dead magic zones!

Anyway, I believe Kiara has had enough patience. Her ADD is manifesting and she is taking over party leadership. Anyone who has a problem with that can challenge her in an opposed Charisma check.

Or Diplomacy, whatever works for the victim...er...you
Unread 29th of January, 2008, 07:52
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Arel may be the spanner in the works, but there needs to be something working for her to... span.
Unread 29th of January, 2008, 07:57
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

If Arel makes trouble, Kiara would use Diplomacy on Arel, but sadly darken follows the rules as written and doesn't let it work on PCs.

Hmm...Kiara could always seduce Arel the old-fashioned way. Or just use a well-timed suggestion or charm. But such an abuse of power on a friend would surely lead back to the dark side...decisions, decisions
Unread 29th of January, 2008, 08:03
LeadPal

Hmm...Kiara could always seduce Arel the old-fashioned way.
That would be hilarious in the context. I can see the look on Tor's face already.

It'd be a cross between and .
Unread 29th of January, 2008, 10:35
LeadPal

Darken, to raise an old issue... you said that it's dangerous to teleport through the Underdark because it shifts over time, right? Does this mean that it's relatively safe to teleport into an area that you've been to very recently?
Unread 29th of January, 2008, 14:10
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

It is relatively safer to teleport to an area that you've been to very recently compare to one you have not yet been to in a while.

Relatively.

Unread 29th of January, 2008, 16:16
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Silly untrusting party members. Why do they always feel the urge to prepare for battle? Tsk, tsk. Such savages
Unread 30th of January, 2008, 06:35
LeadPal

What? Isn't the plan to get all of our information via repeated castings of Speak with Dead?
Unread 30th of January, 2008, 07:19
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Member: #1474
dont forget to ask them where i left my keys while your at it.
Unread 30th of January, 2008, 08:43
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Speak with Dead...I like it. Can you prepare some of those?

And while you're at it, some Daylight and maybe even a Sunburst or two to make a mockery out of the Shades' increased CR and take away all of their template abilities

Kiara's journal is now posted after her char sheet. I still need to convert her list of items and people she encountered from Excel to Word as the boards seem allergic to Excel stuff being copied and pasted.

Last edited by Crazy Eben; 30th of January, 2008 at 23:28.
Unread 1st of February, 2008, 01:59
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

I think we are just waiting till the next day.

In my thread there is a description of Ursus and the spells he will have prepared, any suggestions are welcome.
Unread 1st of February, 2008, 02:47
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

No in-character spell selection? Aww. I'd definitely suggest Undetectable Alignment for Bleys and Usus (I think they are the only detectable good people) to be paranoid. Bleys' sword will be a whole other problem.

Did Kiara notice it glowing brightly with a powerful aura while she detected good, darken? If she did, she'll recommend he keep it in an extradimensional space until he needs it. Or she can ask the sword nicely to let her cast Nystul's Magic Aura on it. How much can an intelligent sword possibly do against a Diplomacy check?

For seeing things, True Seeing is very helpful in magical darkness. You might even say it's necessary. Sure, it costs a bit, but if there's a battle, there's bound to be looting. Besides, you can't really put a price on being able to see your enemy.

Daylight and higher level light spells would be helpful in combat to get rid of the shadows that grant Shades many of their powers. I'm sure there's some broken mid-level light spells in FR, but none come immediately to mind

Lastly, anyone who does not automatically understand and speak any language and who happens to not know ancient Netherese, which I believe the Shades speak, may want to think about Tongues or at least Comprehend Languages. Not being able to understand a conversation is rather dangerous.

If the other people go to rest, Kiara will wander off and do random stuff. I think there was something she wanted to do and I'm sure it will come back to me.
Unread 1st of February, 2008, 05:25
LeadPal

Unfortunately, Arel doesn't care, and Tor just leeches off the success of others.

Currently trying to finalize the stats of everyone relevant to the upcoming situation.
Unread 1st of February, 2008, 07:32
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

They are good people to have around in a party trying to fight evil. Maybe Kiara should buy a Helmet of Opposite Alignment for Arel.
Unread 1st of February, 2008, 09:18
LeadPal

Even if it worked, it's not quite a solution (though it'd certainly cause a ruckus). It's Tor you'd need to put it on. He's such a bad influence, and he creates wondrous items to boot.

Now that you mention it, actually, perhaps he should start making those...