Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > ShatteredUniverse's Games > Heroic Legacies

Unread 11th of April, 2010, 12:02
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

Member: #8003
HL OOC Thread

Wheeeeeeee, joining my fourth game!

And this one is substantially different from the others I've joined so far. Those are all fantasy, sword and sorcery games.
Unread 11th of April, 2010, 22:08
ShatteredUniverse
Zombie [GM]

Member: #8028
I'm going to start putting up information soon, as well as looking at the system Thanos suggested.

I do like the attributes the Amber system has, although they would probably be modified as such:
Power: Used for super-powers that involve throwing lightning, creating fire, or anything else not described below.
Strength: Used for feats of strength and unarmed combat
Endurance: Used for doing physical activity over long periods of time and also shows how durable a character is
Warfare: Armed combat
Agility: Used for reaction times, manual dexterity, and other things (Jumping through windows, anyone?)

Power-picking would be as follows:
Main Power: A character's signature and most powerful ability.

Secondary: Usually an extension of the main power that provides more utility (Main Power could be Super Strength for example, with secondary providing Super Endurance, making a tank-type character)

Dormant: A character's last power.

Within those three powers, you are fairly free to use the power to the limits of the stat that governs (or is governed by) it. Just realize, villains are allowed the same flexibility.

Any ability can be boosted through a super-power choice, if decided.
Powers that don't increase stat attributes (Super Strength boosts Strength score, for instance), use the Power stat to function. Other stats can affect how you use powers- trying to hold fifteen missiles in place with telekinesis would certainly get a bonus (or penalty) from the endurance stat.

How does that sound so far guys?
Unread 11th of April, 2010, 22:19
Explosive Cheese

Sounds pretty good, though without context, I don't really know how it'll work. That'll be solved easily enough when we get to playing.

I'm considering a shape-shifter, who would take Agility as highest, then Endurance. Not sure about the powers yet, since I'd have to see a list, though presumably the Main Power would be to shape-shift.

Also, does anyone here object to me playing a character who's something of a jerk? My other three characters are all pretty darn polite, and I want to try a different personality type. I promise that he will work with the group, and towards everyone's goals, he just might be real annoying to the others while doing it. If any of you at all think it would make the game less fun, I'm completely willing to make him more mellow.
Unread 11th of April, 2010, 22:21
ShatteredUniverse
Zombie [GM]

Shape-shifting into what, though? Other people, objects.... that liquid terminator thing?
Unread 11th of April, 2010, 22:23
Explosive Cheese

Not sure... At first I was thinking something kinda unlimited, like how I understand the Martian Manhunter to be. But that would be way to broken, so I should figure out some kind of limits.

Maybe to other living beings (that my character has already encountered, or has had described in detail to him), that are of approximately the same size (in either volume or mass)?
Unread 11th of April, 2010, 22:32
ShatteredUniverse
Zombie [GM]

Impersonating people is fine- just realize you won't be able to impersonate their powers with just the shape-changing superpower.
Unread 11th of April, 2010, 22:38
Explosive Cheese

Naturally - just appearances, and any personality I've actually learned about them. Which, if I decide to go with an anti-social jerk, might not be much.
Unread 12th of April, 2010, 16:49
Francis
Ghoul [GM]

Member: #8074
Hi,

if I take telekinesis as main power, can I take super-sight as a secondary power, so that I can actually see bullets coming towards me/others and focus my telekinesis on them?
As dormant power I would then take 'steel form' (see sample char sheet).
How about that? Does it sound as a good combination?
Unread 13th of April, 2010, 01:09
ShatteredUniverse
Zombie [GM]

Originally Posted by Francis # Hi,

if I take telekinesis as main power, can I take super-sight as a secondary power, so that I can actually see bullets coming towards me/others and focus my telekinesis on them?
As dormant power I would then take 'steel form' (see sample char sheet).
How about that? Does it sound as a good combination?
I'd probably have sight give bonuses to Agility for purposes of seeing and affecting bullets.

As for steel form, how powers fit with the rest of a character is important. Is there an explanation for steel form, how does it relate to the rest of his abilities?
Unread 13th of April, 2010, 05:09
Francis
Ghoul [GM]

Two connections for steel form:
- if you're levitating something heavy and you lose control, it might crash into you and then you need an iron body to withstand the blow.
- for holding multiple objects into the air, a telekineticist needs a high endurance, and this is given by steel form as well.
Unread 13th of April, 2010, 18:54
Francis
Ghoul [GM]

Okay, if you've a problem with steel body,
I'll take self-levitation as a dormant power: seems to be logical extension of telekinesis, that you can levitate your own body up into the air. Of course there will be a maximum upward speed and perhaps a maximum height that can be reached, but I leave that up to the dm/gm.
I'll change my char sheet accordingly.
Unread 14th of April, 2010, 00:07
ShatteredUniverse
Zombie [GM]

I'd just as well give you full flight.
Unread 14th of April, 2010, 00:39
Francis
Ghoul [GM]

That's great, full flight. Thanks a lot!!!
Unread 14th of April, 2010, 07:13
Explosive Cheese

I intend to post some rough character background/traits today, within the next few hours.

Edit: A few questions.
One, are we gonna auction attributes?
Two, can I take full-phasing and invisibility/chameleon appearance as my secondary and dormant powers? He is body through shapeshifting, so I thought it would work.
Three, can I play a young teenager (14-15 years old)? I'm assuming yes for now.
Four, how long ago has the flooding occurred, more or less? I'm assuming about 2 years, but I can change the background.
Five, would phasing (variable density towards transparency) use power or agility? I'm assuming power for now.
Six, does shapeshifting manipulate clothes? I'm assuming no, meaning I could ruin or drop them in the process, and if I'm impersonating a human, might have to keep a backup, or steal the guards outfit, etc.

Last edited by Explosive Cheese; 14th of April, 2010 at 07:43.
Unread 15th of April, 2010, 00:59
ShatteredUniverse
Zombie [GM]

1: Unless I'm doing this terribly wrong, the auction is just per character. You just place the stats where you want them to go.
2: Invisibility and Chameleon are basically the same thing, and yes, you may take them.
3: Yes
4: The surge happened about six months before the start of the RP
5: Power if another ability was trying to affect you while phasing. It would give bonuses to Agility in other situations.
6: Honestly, I'm not afraid of some power-creep in the beginning, so clothes probably would be affected.
Unread 15th of April, 2010, 02:12
Explosive Cheese

Thanks, I'll modify the character a bit now.

Also, from wikipedia, I understood the auction to be between players, paying points in an auction system for the highest ranks. But I like the character allocation better.

Last edited by Explosive Cheese; 15th of April, 2010 at 02:17.
Unread 17th of April, 2010, 08:31
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Member: #894
Hero is up, I made a suggestion for the Slow Motion Control power. I am basically copying it from Heroes Unlimited (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladium_Books). I have no idea how you want to play rapid recovery (somewhat like Wolverine), but both certainly tie into his Dormant Power as it were! He may never find out about it......
Unread 18th of April, 2010, 07:30
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Shattered Universe

The Auction is actually between characters, but in this instance does not apply as we are not in direct or indirect competition with each other for the throne of a kingdom that spans half the multiverse, as it were.

The attributes are basically just there to give us/you a basic idea of who will beat whom in an up and up fight.

A normal human, in the Amber system, as an attribute of -25 to -11. The -11 is an Olympic Gold Medalist in their given field of expertise, such as a fencer.
Unread 18th of April, 2010, 13:27
ShatteredUniverse
Zombie [GM]

In short: Just having a power makes you exceptional compared to most humans, stat wise. This isn't quite as drastic as the amber system though- let's just assume for every stat but power that human baseline is between -5 and 0.

That being said, this is -Heroic- legacy and not -Villainous- legacy. You guys are supposed to play the good guys.
Unread 18th of April, 2010, 13:43
ShatteredUniverse
Zombie [GM]

Shamed and Thanos, I've added some GM notes to your powers because you chose powers or configurations I felt I needed to nerf (immortality, indefinitely being able to dodge bullets) or explain further (Aaron being able to beat your character with their own power isn't going to happen).
Unread 19th of April, 2010, 01:13
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

No problems for me. You said time control or travel or anything like it was going to be very restricted. Just remember that a rifle bullet is only going about 2-3 times the speed of sound and those of a pistol are usually below the speed of sound. What is mostly happening for slow motion control is that he is dodging the barrel and trigger finger and not the bullet per se. With that idea in mind he could dodge rail gun rounds and lasers from conventional users (ie those that are un-enhanced), but other super beings that can shoot lasers out of their eyes, that would be very difficult. Thus that aspect of the 'power' is relatively balanced.

In essence just apply a bonus to Agility or War (which ever you want to use since it somewhat overlaps) that would allow for a normal person to dodge somebody pointing a gun at them.

I can see pretty easily if a badguy has a 'power augmentation' power and he used it against Slow Motion Control that instead of John getting better he just starts moving so fast compared to others that he is completely ineffective.

Thanks for making the edits, I am glad you are looking at things critically!
Unread 19th of April, 2010, 02:41
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Also, it would be very helpful to have some examples of normal combat and how the 'Attributes' work.

My character plans on using a lot of guns, knives, and perhaps a sword, along with some light (swat vest) type of body armor....since he is a military minded and trained kind of guy.
Unread 19th of April, 2010, 03:32
ShatteredUniverse
Zombie [GM]

In short, how people are using their powers will modify base stats. Then as combat happens, these stats are compared as needed to determine what goes on. Most of this will be 'behind the screen', because that gives much more storytelling license than strictly following just the numbers.
Unread 19th of April, 2010, 05:24
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Of course, good descriptions and 'stunts' are always going to trump raw power. Saying you just hit the guy with your fists pits your Strength against whatever he has. If he picks up a big stick he can keep your Strength guy at bay unless you want to take a serious hit.....given he has a higher Warfare than you do.
Unread 19th of April, 2010, 05:38
Explosive Cheese

I've been giving my dormant power some thought, and I thought it might make sense that whether Ricky goes 'chameleon' or invisible should depend on how much power he invests. Meaning, with only a little power, he goes chameleon, and needs to stay relatively still and rely on the background for going unseen. By channeling more power, he could actually go completely invisible, even while in motion, though of course channeling more power would take greater concentration. What do you think?

Also, can Ricky have parts of his body at different densities? Meaning could he do something like grab someone through the floor (most of his body is transparent under the floor, his hands are solid above the floor, around whoever he's grabbing) ?

Last edited by Explosive Cheese; 19th of April, 2010 at 05:44.