Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Darken's Games > Rivalry

Unread 8th of October, 2005, 01:50
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #1476
OOC Thread

The new forum has been setup. When you have time, please go to the Character Sheet & Experience subform and post your character sheet with the character name as Title in there. I will organize the rest of the forum as soon as possible.

Light, is the lack of darkness.
Unread 8th of October, 2005, 03:12
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Looking good, then.
Unread 10th of October, 2005, 09:33
Jackelope King
Ghoul

Member: #1487
I'll be on it shortly... had a bit of an... interesting weekend, though not a very productive one.
Unread 10th of October, 2005, 09:43
Wisp
Ghoul

Member: #694
As was mine. I'll get my character up as quickly as I can.
Unread 10th of October, 2005, 11:16
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Member: #894
I have a basic question that I guess I need answered before I can complete my character (who is being converted from 2nd to 3.5).

When a target is knocked prone, by a trip in this case, do they loose their Dexterity Bonus/modifier to AC? I could find where a melee attacker receives a +4 to hit a prone target, but it never implicitely says that they loose their Dex Bonus.

The reason I ask is because in the Fighters Handbook (as it were) there is a Feat called Expert Tactician. It gives a bonus partial action if the user takes away the Dex modifier. With Knock Down it becomes an interesting combo, as it were.

Please understand that I have played in only one game of 3.0+ (and its on these boards with a 2nd level Character) and I am not as super familiar with the rules as others might be.
Unread 12th of October, 2005, 10:07
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

No problem, if you have rule questions, just ask. I would say that myself, JK, and BP all know the present set of rules fairly well, one of us will surely have your answer (correctly).

For your question, no, a prone target does not lose his Dex bonus to AC. Other than the penalty on movement and the bonus/penalty for melee/range attackers, there are no other special conditions added.

In addition, note that the feat Expert Tactician has been updated for 3.5 in Complete Warrior. Instead of granting an additional partial action, the feat gives you and all your allies a +2 melee attack and damage rolls against a target that you have hit successfully with an AoO this turn.

Unread 12th of October, 2005, 13:31
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Uh Oh. I guess I have to go buy another book :-(. Have other base Feats been changed significantly like that?

For Expert Tactician then I am certainly to get that. It would be a massively awesome Combo to hit somebody and with 10 damage, get a free chance to trip them, if successful get a AoO at +4. With the Full Attack Option Bleys could attack them at a +1 (+4 for Prone, +2 for Expert Tactician, -5 for second attack) to his base a third time, and again at -4 a third time. With Haste it is even more devistating!
Unread 13th of October, 2005, 01:58
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Member: #1474
K my sheet's posted.
Unread 13th of October, 2005, 02:29
jedric
Ghoul

Member: #1102
Sorry difficult week. I'm on a course and have very limited access to computers. Will post a character sheet later this week.
Unread 13th of October, 2005, 03:28
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Originally Posted by Thanos For Expert Tactician then I am certainly to get that. It would be a massively awesome Combo to hit somebody and with 10 damage, get a free chance to trip them, if successful get a AoO at +4. With the Full Attack Option Bleys could attack them at a +1 (+4 for Prone, +2 for Expert Tactician, -5 for second attack) to his base a third time, and again at -4 a third time. With Haste it is even more devistating!
That's not quite how it works. The follow up attack from Improved Trip (or Knock Back) is not a AoO, so you don't get the Expert Tactician bonus on your iterative attack.

Also, you seem to be confusing the Trip special attack that some monsters have with the feat Improved Trip. With the Trip special attack, the creature gets a free trip attempt (again, not as an AoO) if it hits with a certian attack form (such as bite for a wolf). With the feat Improved Trip, you get a free follow-up attack (again, not as an AoO) if you trip an opponent. You have to spend an attack to make the initial trip attempt, and if it fails, you don't get the follow-up.

The most abusive combination to exploit Expert Tactician that I can think of off the top of my head is Karmic Strike (-4 AC, AoO when an opponent makes a successful melee or melee touch attack), Defensive Throw (AoO to trip when an opponent misses you in melee), Deft Opportunist (+4 to hit on AoOs), and Combat Expertise (more than one AoO per round to take advantage of all the extra opportunities). Any opponent engaging you in melee will be provoking AoOs, whether they hit you or not, which you are really good at capitolizing on, and when it becomes your turn again, Expert Tactician kicks in to give you a bonus to hit.

The only thing that will ruin your day is a creature with longer reach than you (you can't take AoOs against a creature you don't threaten) or one with ranged attacks.
Unread 13th of October, 2005, 09:45
Wisp
Ghoul

I'll be getting in my character tomarrow. Taking a bit longer than expected, though so far it's pretty cool.
Unread 13th of October, 2005, 12:15
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Well, I was not thinking of trying something like that BP, just trying to get in 3.5 something similiar to what was happening with the 2nd Ed character. I played him all the way from 1st level up to 15th level over the course of 3 years, playing about 3 times a week. There is a huge history for Bleys and I just want to do the character justice in this game. I will have to go buy that book, perhaps I should do that now....hrmmm
Unread 13th of October, 2005, 12:22
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

I would suggest you visit Crystal Keep for some brief feat (also spells and classes) descriptions for reference purpose, instead of purchasing a book for a feat. I believe the content there is completely legal, and while they do not give the whole picture, they can be quite useful to see if something has been changed from 3.0 to 3.5.

Unread 13th of October, 2005, 13:17
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

How fortunate, because B&N nor Boarders (both very big stores) has a copy of it or anything even close. I am downloading the page with my dial up connection :-P

I did look at the 3.5 players book at the store though and noticed that Whirlwind attack seems to have changed and doesn't allow 'extra actions' of any kind during the round that you use it. Having both it and Great Cleave doesn't seem to make sense. Neither does walking around in Heavy Armor and having Spring Attack...so both of those might go away as well...so I am roughly left with 3 Feats. Any suggestions are welcome!

Black Plague,
The feat 'Knock Down' allows you to get a free trip attempt on any target you do 10 or more HP worth of damage to. I guess it then counts as a special Trip?
Unread 13th of October, 2005, 13:22
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Member: #1480
This board is weird. It looks so dark

Kiara finds it uncute and wishes to go home to 3ebb
Unread 13th of October, 2005, 13:59
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Well the three Feats that involve mage slaying seem pretty neat (Mage Slayer, Pierce Magic Concealment, and Peirce Magic Protection.
So does the Improved Toughness, which gives 1HP per HD, which would be 15.
Greater Weapon Focus, just another +1.
Elusive Target, which is great in group combat settings!
Unread 14th of October, 2005, 02:01
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

ROFL. I just saw that you added something about every character requiring rest to the character creation guidelines. I wonder which character made you do that

On a completely unrelated note, Kiara points out that she doesn't need sleep and that she's not an arcane spellcaster
Unread 14th of October, 2005, 04:50
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Hey, just give me a warning when I'm falling six weeks behind the times.
Unread 14th of October, 2005, 08:36
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Character is complete. I decided after a while that the final Feats could be just about anything.
Unread 14th of October, 2005, 10:01
Wisp
Ghoul

I finished the character, but I'm going to have to post him tomarrow because of some computer problems. Sorry about the inconvience.
Unread 14th of October, 2005, 23:24
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Member: #136
Darken has promoted me from the waiting list, so I should be starting soon; I'm just finalizing my character.

I'd like to tie his mission in with another PC if anyone is interested.

Is there anyone with a character of good or neutral alignment who wants an additional party member or ally?

or is there anyone with an evil character who wants an archenemy?

Edit: crueldespot@yahoo.com

Last edited by crueldespot; 14th of October, 2005 at 23:30.
Unread 15th of October, 2005, 00:41
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Crueldespot,

I would take an extra party member...I am making my Cohort, a 10th Level Priest of Tempus named Ursus (The Bear of War).
Unread 15th of October, 2005, 01:11
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Thanks. I guess it depends on what Bleys' location and mission are.
Unread 15th of October, 2005, 01:29
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

The lovely Kiara is both lawful and good. She is always happy to take on minions. The only condition is that the minion must be able to either use Greater Teleport at will, or cast the Greater Teleport spell or a similar ability several times a day. She doesn't like people to slow her down

The ability to turn ethereal at will would also be welcome
Unread 15th of October, 2005, 01:39
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Zeek is more patient. No need to be in such a hurry. He cruises the breeze at about 900 miles a day. That's about as fast as he wants to go.