Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Dirigible's Games > The Centinels

Unread 15th of October, 2004, 19:17
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

Member: #449
Background & Setting

History

Metahuman Powers: Origins

Novas In the last twenty to thirty years, a phenomenon has come to the attention of scientists that study metahumanity: a phenomenon that has caused the upsurge in the superpowered population during that time. It is a form of retrovirus called Darwin's Flux, and it causes people to develop abilities that defy physics. Seemingly, it only affects prenatal children, and cannot be tranmitted between adults; in fact, the theoretical metapathogen has never even been isolated, so all that is known about it comes from conjecture and observation of its effects. People altered by Darwin's Flux are known as Novas, and in many ways they are a species unto themselves. They can be distinguished as Novas by genetic and biochemical signatures, and are less vulnerable to some substances, diseases and conditions, and more vulnerable to others. The source of the Flux remains unknown.

Mutants Seemingly the forerunners of Novas, mutants are people born with their powers but who do not share a common link. Historians believe that there have been mutants in the population for thousands of years, or even millions, but they began to grow more numerous around the turn of the century, when the 'spirit of adventure' took hold of the popular imagination and progress began to take off (there is debate as to which caused which; something of a chicken and egg situation). There was a major rise in the occurances of mutation in the late 30's, as the world geared up for war; the number of mutants continued to grow steadily through the Cold War to the present day.

Altereds One of the oldest forms of artificial metahuman generation, individuals and governments have been tinkering with chemicals, energy sources and strange substances for at least a century, attempting to breed better races, create superior warriors, cure specific conditions or a thousand other suspect or altruistic goals.
The most common subset of Altered are the Adapex supersoldiers. Adapex is a family of chemicals that cause massive dynamic changes in human biochemistry and cellular structure, with varying effects. Generally, a recipient of Adapex becomes stronger and more resilient, with significantly increased healing speed, due to a reinforcement of bones, muscles and mitotic regeneration. In other cases, the effects are more varied, sometimes even triggering sympathetic mutations or latent Nova-genes, allowing users to fly or generate energy. A common side-effect of Adapex is a violent, uncontrollable temper and sociopathic tendancies.

Hypertech A less than formal category, in the public mind certain bleeding-edge technologies are considered metahuman in nature. Some of them, indeed, were created by metahumans with preternatural intelligence; others are merely so advanced and so new that they appear to be supernatural. Certain forms of hypertech are actually created and sustained as 'props' by the metahumans that weild them. In these case, the devices themselves are actually nonfunctional, merely serving as tools for their wielders.

Other orgins are theorised to exist, or have existed in specific cases: Innate or Extraterrestrial, the properties of beings that exist on a different scale, form or level to human life, from aliens to 'gods', and Mystical, the powers of magic to bend reality.

Last edited by Dirigible; 2nd of February, 2006 at 05:41.
Unread 15th of October, 2004, 19:20
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

The World
Unread 15th of October, 2004, 19:38
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

Government Sanctioned Groups

Government-sanctioned super people organisations have not been common or popular since the mid 80's. A G-7 sponsored group called InterForce was involved in a major scandal regarding human rights abuses and brutallity carried out in the name of the richest nations on Earth, and sank into obscurity, taking pubic regard for such groups with it.

Last edited by Dirigible; 2nd of February, 2006 at 05:55.
Unread 15th of October, 2004, 19:45
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

Non-Aligned Groups

Mercenares sans Frontiers
Purview: Global
Base of Operations: Kinshasa and La Paz Militarised Zones
Leader: WarGod

An international private army, composed of the best operatives culled from mundane and metahuman ranks. They operate worldwide, working in small metahuman teams or larger companies of regular troops, selling their services to anyone who’ll pay. Wreck attempted and failed to join them, for uncertain reasons.

MsF is feared and respected; they get the job done, but usually with appalling collateral and property damage, and little to no regard for international law or public safety. The UN regards them as all but a terrorist organisation, and certainly as outlaws, but many corporations and poor, war-torn countries support MsF.

Brotherhood of Man
An international umbrella organization of fanatics, bigots and 'concerned citizens' opposed to varying degress to Novas, mutants, cyborgs and other freaks. Some of the subgroups include-
* The Brotherhood of Human Purity: Klannish urban terrorists, responsible for assaults and hatecrimes of all sorts. Based in the deep south of the USA.
* The Civilian Safety League: A fairly inoffensive neighbourhood watch-like group, at least on the surface; scratch that, and you'll find the nastiest bunch of bourgeous bigots and conservatives you've ever met. Nominally based in Australia, but ‘cells’ are present in England and the US.
* Church of Michael Archangel: Religious fanatics, based primarily in Europe but also active in the northern USA.

Last edited by Dirigible; 2nd of February, 2006 at 05:56.
Unread 15th of October, 2004, 19:56
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

Crime and Metacrime

Syndicate-X
Purview: ?
Base of Operations: New York City?
Leader: ?

The O'Malley Mafia Family
Base of Operations: New York City
Leader: Jerry 'the Hammer' O'Malley

Led the Westies in an overthrow of the Italian crime families; the only one that wasn't destroyed or abrobed is the remnants of the de Bendini family.

Independents and Mercenaries

Actinic

Devolution

Eversor

Rend

Viscid

Last edited by Dirigible; 2nd of February, 2006 at 05:58.
Unread 7th of August, 2005, 20:07
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

The Centurion
DOB: July 4th, 1929
POB: [classified] <somewhere in the midwest? ~WireRider>
Died: N/A <sonofabitch is still hanging on; I hear he's breaindead, though ~Chine/Ghost/1>
<<big diff [warning: your system does not support VR emoticons; please upgrade to Windows 2010 L33t Edition>> ~WireRider

[the Centurion]"What do I think of him? I think Comrade Prime... [laughter] I think he's got a darn good right hook... ain't had a loose tooth like this for a long time! [laughter] ... I think he's a good man, a good man who had the misfortune to be born in a Godless, red... [off mic whispering]... I mean in a country without... [off mic whispering]... where the people don't enjoy their full freedoms."

[Sgt. Winters]"No further questions! We...
~ Military radio interview following the Centurion's fight with Comrade Prime in North Korean airspace, 1951.

It was the first time since Libert and Reinhardt duelled above the ruins of Paris that the world had witnessed two world-class superhuman warriors engaging each other in no holds barred combat. It was the first time that such a battle had been captured on movie film.

And it terrified us.

We now live in an age where seeing metahumans exchanging blows is commonplace on the news, reality TV and vidblogs - often with superfluous special effects added and advertisements worked in. The person on the street knows, on average, the names of over five hundred costumed vigilantes and metacriminals. Try to cast your mind back to that time, when there were less than thirty well known metahumans - and many of them were dead, injured or had become pacifists after the horrors of the Second World War. And now, we were seeing footage of the two strongest men in the world, each the paragon of his nation, his ideology (or so the commentators insisted).

The brutality was beyond anything we had ever seen. Each landed punch demolished buildings miles away, and could send the recipient flying into the ground hundreds of yards away, but without a scratch. When the Centurion plucked a MiG from the air and threw it at his foe... when Comrade Prime caused an avalanche that took out an entire hillside... the knock-down, drag out boxing, the bone-crushing grappling...

It was Hiroshima all over again, with a human face. Suddenly, everyone; the public, the governments of every nation with metahumans in its military forces realised that there were giants at the dinner table, and one mistake would break everyone's plate, forever.
~Simon Delgardo, author of Clash of the Titans: A history of metahuman combat.

"He was a Goddamn patriot!"
~ Fragment of recording retrieved from a destroyed camera, Joseph McCarthy's funeral, 1957.

"Why did I do it? Because I could, ma'am.

"That's what makes this country great, what always has. People who help each other. Care for each other. What people... the media, what you obfuscate with your stories about drugs and violence and sex and your cursing, is that we are the greatest, most generous people on Earth. When I saw men and women out there with sandbags and spades, shoring up their neighbours homes before they saw to their own, I see people who don't listen to your pinko... [off camera whispers]... ahem, to your 'non-family value friendly' interpretation. And it's my privilege to be able to help them, and it's jsut God's will that I have gifts greater than other men to do that with."
~ Live interview during the Mississippi floods, 1981.

"Yes, we could have sent the Marines, like the. And, God bless them, they'd have died. That monster, the Harvester, he ate people, and just got stronger. There'd have been a hundred dead people, instead of just one.

"I didn't try to kill him, but I'm not shedding any tears over his unmarked grave."
~ Larry King Show, following the Nicaragua Intervention, September 1985.

It is confirmed, Harry Kildaire, the man know to the world as the Centurion... suffered a massive heart attack last night. Doctors say they were unable to administer convention resuscitation or defribulation techniques, due to his invulnerable skin... not until they called on the aid of Galvanic, a metahuman with electrical manipulation powers.

Mr. Kildaire apparently suffered extensive damage to his pulmonary system due to it being paralysed during his heart attack... he is currently being kept on life support, and his condition is described as 'stable, but critical.'

Updates as we get them. We now go to one of the Centurion's closest friends, Joint Chief of Staff General Tobias Winters...
~ CrossMedia newsflash, 1990.

Last edited by Dirigible; 7th of August, 2005 at 20:15.