Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Chris Chandler's Games > Epicureans

Unread 21st of August, 2008, 08:10
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

Member: #1475
You knock, and it sounds somewhat subdued, as if the door were padded somehow. After a brief moment the door opens, and you see a servant, long since dead, still dressed in the attire of a formal servant, though it is spectral.

May I assist you, Miss?

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 21st of August, 2008, 10:00
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Member: #2781
"Yes. Lord Godfrey is expecting me, I believe? I am Mizuki."
Unread 21st of August, 2008, 23:59
Chris Chandler

The servant fades, appears some 10 feet within the building, and does similarly until he leaves your sight completely. A faint, but low voice calls out from the direction of the rickety staircase.

Well, don't stand out on the steps, you'll let some sunlight in. Come in!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 00:12
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I wait on Scratch, then go in, towards the rickety staircase.
Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 01:43
Chris Chandler

In true haunted house fashion, the door will slam behind you. You see the spectral servant, along with a throng of other spirits (who also have the look of servants) poking their heads from the two doorways on either side of you. They are fearful, if such a thing is possible from a ghost.

You see a man, walking along the hall at the top of the stairs. He turns and, rather than descend the stairs in the traditional manner, he glides slowly down the steps. He is dressed in the finery of a baron, a deep blue waistcoat over a fine linen shirt, with black pantaloons over hose and heavy leather shoes. His long hair, brown shot with gray, is back in a ribbon-tied ponytail. He has a full beard, also graying. He is powerfully built, a retired soldier possibly, with broad shoulders and large hands.

He stops and alights at the bottom of the stairs. He bows low and introduces himself -

I am Lord Godfrey, but I don't believe I've had the pleasure, miss... Mizuki was it? How am I to be expecting an outsider such as yourself, though I did note your arrival last night. A young lady, even with such a bodyguard, should be more careful at night. There are all sorts of unspeakable things that make a habit of roaming the moors and roads once the sun departs.

You'll note, of course, that Scratch had been hiding, but you'll also recognize that, from your exposure to other cognizant spirits, simple wards like Scratch's disappearing from sight have no affect on ghosts. They don't even recognize that such a veil is there.

Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 02:00
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I return the bow. "Yes, Mizuki.

The Lady Gennifer informed me of the danger of being out at night, so I stayed with her. I was marooned close to night time, so I had little choice."

I pull out my letter of invitation. "And as for how you are to be expecting me, I received this about 5 days ago." I approach him to hand him the letter, but am very watchful. I didn't expect him to not know I was coming.
Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 02:13
Chris Chandler

He looks at the invitation and he raises a hand, an the invitation leaves your grasp (if you wish it) had he actually taken it. It floats before him an opens, and he reads it.

This is my hand, my paper, my seal, yet I have never seen this before. I... to be blunt, I don't imagine I would ever invite one of... your kind to my home - I did not send this invitation.

He looks at you now -

I'm not sure what sort of title you bear in your homeland, but you carry in your aura something very unpleasant to me, to any spirit, I would wager. I am most surprised that every spirit in Mordent did not seek you out as if you were a bled fox and they the hounds. I would never willingly call you here, Miss Mizuki, no.

The invitation returns to you, folded.

Now then, so that we can maintain this as civilly as possible, where did you get this, from whom?

Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 02:16
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

"It appeared in my belongings. Repeatedly."
Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 02:27
Chris Chandler

An apparating invitation.

He mutters a foul arcane phrase and his eyes alight, bright yellow -

Yes, yes I see the dweomer attached to this page. It is, indeed a key to the door of this realm, given to you. That is powerful, since I usually have a say in who and who does not enter my land.

He continues -

You traveled by boat, and your crew were unharmed during the night. Those creatures I spoke of ought to have massacred your ship companions last night. I'll need to speak to them later and find out why they were not compelled to seek your companions out -

He says that in a very offhand manner -

But this key is another matter.

At that moment you feel a presence nearby (still outside, or still not in the immediate vicinity), it is a spirit, but that is not why you feel the approach. You have an uncanny sense of the spirits of nature near you. One such is coming this way. Godfrey seems oblivious.

This key, the invitation that is, is most unusually. It has... picked the lock, so to speak, allowing you to enter unfettered. That connection to this... land is unprecedented.

Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 02:34
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

So, are you saying you are in control of this land? You are why it is as it is?
Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 03:06
Chris Chandler

((post eaten!))

I am... the chief steward of this land. I am still as controlled as any who are born and raised here. I may never leave Mordent. The land will not permit it, so yes I am why it is as it is. Horrifying, I know, but as Lady Weathermay would have told you, I am nothing but a murderer.

The spirit is closing.

Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 06:08
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Yes, Lady Weathermay filled me in on your character and situation, but actually, at the moment, I'm simply trying to understand. The land won't permit you leaving, but you exert some will over the land too?
Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 06:58
Chris Chandler

I, usually speaking, am a sort of gatekeeper. The land may want a person in, or out, however the case may be, but I usually can shunt them to another realm if I don't want them. I cannot tell you how many holy men have been on their way to Mordent to only find their way to Sithicus.

He's speaking of things you just don't have the information for, obviously, and he's doing it on purpose. He's as confused as you are in regard to the situation at hand, but he still feels that he is in control.

Oh, that's her.

What?! What is - how did this thing approach my doorstep?

You see what Scratch has seen back at Heather House. You see, directly to your left, a young dryad, though she, too, is dead - a spirit forced to wander. You sense no evil in her, though. She looks at you plaintively.

You have come. I am so happy.

Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 07:40
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I look to my left, not surprised but still confused. "Yes, I am here now."
Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 08:21
Chris Chandler

Godfrey, who seems to be growing in stature and breadth loses any pretense of being calm and collected.

What is the meaning of this!?

The spirit looks at you, as if you have an answer. She seriously is waiting for you to respond.

Unread 22nd of August, 2008, 10:42
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I ignore Godfrey. His discomfort does not threaten me. A tiny bit of amusement does play at my eyes, but then again, I'm a little annoyed as well.

Are you the one who summoned me?
Unread 23rd of August, 2008, 02:17
Chris Chandler

The spirit is a bit shocked at the question -

No, never! I would not do such a thing even if I could, but I saw the rite. I...

She trails off looking away -

Godfrey narrows his spectral eyes -

You were an offering, the price of blood for some witch to bring this to my doorstep! Who was it, little sapling. Tell me before I start breaking twigs.

Unread 23rd of August, 2008, 02:24
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I stare at the situation, amazed. I guess I need to draw his attention back to me, though.

"Godfrey, quit with the freak out. This is how powerful you are? Really? I'm terrified, myself."
Unread 23rd of August, 2008, 02:45
Chris Chandler

The tiny spirit starts to fade in fear as Godfrey turns on you. He barely squints his eyes and you hear a rumble throughout the house. Scratch is nervous, but moves closer to you, and you feel a very slight tremor, as if something were supposed to happen, but didn't.

Imagine Godfrey's surprise.

You are still here? That... is... unfortunate. I hoped to banish you away but you won't go, will you? Perhaps you summoned yourself, little bitch.

He moves aggressively toward you and you feel another presence in the room, not like this fey spirit, more palpable, tangible - You see a woman dressed in black robes emerge from a corner shadow just as Godfrey attempts to reach out at you with his enormous hand, looking to grab ahold of you. You can tell that his ghostly form is becoming almost solid for just an instant as he does this.

Last edited by Chris Chandler; 24th of August, 2008 at 02:34. Reason: clarify Godfrey's action.
Unread 24th of August, 2008, 09:23
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Taking a step back, I draw my sword and, in one smooth motion, disarm him.
Unread 26th of August, 2008, 00:09
Chris Chandler

((See, now that is funny))

Your blade leaves it's sheath, the soft blue light enveloping the blade growing as you lunge forth. Godfrey seems unfazed by your weapon, that is, until you bite his spectral form with your blade. He reels back, his great stature immediately diminishing, his ghostly arm separating at the elbow, then reforming quickly, but his form, as a whole, is dimmer. He mutters another arcane phrase, a summoning, and you see the tell-tale sign of creatures being called forth.

The tiny spirit draws your attention. She whispers, nearly panicked -

Godfrey may try to kill you, but I fear that she may succeed. Please, you must leave! Ai!

You see the woman in full now, as she waves her hand dismissively and disrupts Godfrey's summons.

Let's keep this party exclusive, hon.

Godfrey vanishes, his taste for revenge not as great as his sense of self-preservation.

The woman is tall, lanky, with angular, athletic features and short blond hair. She has some elven blood to her, and the lines at the corners of her eyes suggest many years of toil. She is dressed in simple traveling attire, with a heavy wool cloak around sturdy boots, linen skirts and a leather vest.

She smirks at Godfrey's departure.

Unread 26th of August, 2008, 05:19
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

So, that was no fun. I wanted very badly to take care of that right now. What's this all about then?
Unread 26th of August, 2008, 05:54
Chris Chandler

Hm, oh yes. Don't worry, you'll be able to take care of all of this in short order. You could say you'll be the catalyst for change!

She starts laughing, and not a chuckle either - she lets out a loud guffaw, and she tears up, hands on hips.

Oh... oh my. Yeah, you're not going to find it nearly as funny, but I've to tell you, that's golden.

She takes a moment to size you up -

Hm. Aren't you kind of short for your kind of parentage? No matter, blood's blood. Now then, we can do it here in the foyer, but I find that to be a bit informal. What say we move this to the parlor, pour a drink, smoke a pipe, swap spit and stories?

She turns and heads to the righthand doorway, now bereft of eavesdropping spectral servants.

Oh, come on. I promise not to bite until you say so.

Her eyes light up at the prospect.

Speaking of servants, the little fey spirit is still here, and she's cowering, her eyes pleading with you.

Unread 26th of August, 2008, 06:05
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Oh, very nice.

I look to the little spirit, and stoop down. Whether she's physical or not doesn't matter to me, I want to be where I can speak to her. "You were glad I came. So why are you upset now? Isn't... this why you wanted me?"
Unread 26th of August, 2008, 07:09
Chris Chandler

I am joyous that you might could stop Her, but I am fearful that she will tear out your spirit and leave you in torment. It grieves my heart.