Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Chris Chandler's Games > Epicureans

Reply
Thread Tools
  #101  
Unread 26th of October, 2010, 09:49
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.44 per day)
OmniFrost, you see the same thing as Mizuki, and would recognize the sarcophogi arranged in such a way that they would, in normal circumstances, be part of the same family or clan. Since circumstances are not normal, you rather think that they contain the remains or shells of bodyguards to the entity in the center of the room.

OmniFrost, what you see before you has taken great pains to continue the power of unlife. Denying even the remnant of an actual body, this creature has achieved immortality at great cost. The glyphs on the skull denote ancient unspeakable rites, and the gems, which have replaced many of the skull's teeth, are powerfully enchanted, each able to contain an imprisoned mortal soul. Such creatures are often so incredibly intelligent and wise as to defy mortal comprehension, and many are so dreadfully ancient that the passage of time has actually been lost to them. Most such creatures, also, have lived such a twisted and warped experience that the term "evil" does not do their form of morality. In short, this creature became undead so long ago that it likely knows no other existence, and likely does not even consider such things as "living" and "dead" to be viable forms of energy. It thirsts only for power, and has spent hundreds, perhaps thousands of years in search of it. You are certain that it is an ascended order of lich, a demilich, one of the most horrific creatures to exist, and it is sitting quietly, about 10 feet from you.

Mizuki, your statement certainly expects an answer, but an answer is not immediately forthcoming, at least not any verbal cue. The room, however, lights up, with oil lamps lining the walls slowing, dimly, fading into light. The magical darkness leaves as the dim light fills the room, as well as your own aura, and you can both see that, even though the walls are lined with sarcophogi, it is clear that central sections along the facing wall and the righthand wall actually serve as doorways, though they are both closed at the moment.

The room, dusty with ages of no disturbance, suddenly kicks up a series of tiny zephyrs, not even a foot high. The dust kicks up into a rising cloud.
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Unread 27th of October, 2010, 12:57
LightBringer's Avatar
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2777
Posts: 3,654 (0.87 per day)
"Oh crap. We are in this one serious." My mind races, "How do I get the guys here."

"I hate these guys, they have no sense of humor."
__________________
I am, therefore, I shall be.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Unread 27th of October, 2010, 13:32
LadyGlutter's Avatar
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2781
Location: entropy chamber
Posts: 4,344 (1.04 per day)
"I wonder if this will tickle."

I reach out and lay hands on the skull, summoning all the good will and positive energy I can muster.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Unread 27th of October, 2010, 14:08
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.44 per day)
Aros and Malak -

The scream returns, louder, and the two of you are hard pressed to remain standing, but you manage to do so (with a bit less dignity than before). Omni, you can hear a distant cry for help, but only in your mind - there is no direction.


Malak, this time you are able to pinpoint the source of the scream. It's coming from beneath you, about 8 feet closer to the far wall from where you are standing (opposite the trapdoor). It is coming from underneath the floor.


OmniFrost and Mizuki -

Firstly, the dust that was being kicked up seems to be caustic and burns your lungs badly. OmniFrost, you can tell that there is a poisonous property (a paralytic) to this dust, as well, but as far as you can tell, it hasn't affected you or Mizuki (Aros and Malak will feel the burn to each of their lungs, as well). Mizuki, you do not feel any affect of any sort of venom that you know, though your lungs, too, are burning.

Despite the burning dust in the air, Mizuki, you are not blinded, and you are able to place your hand firmly upon the skull, which feels like putting your hand within an icy lake. As you release a torrent of holy energy upon the creature you hear -

What do you thi-


And the skull trembles on the dias, and then is still. The aura of evil subsides decidedly, but you and Omni immediately hear a rumbling all around you. You can see the clay sarcophogi starting to crack and shake, the torches flare to the point of igniting the caustic dust! The two of you are rightly singed, but not burned badly.

Okay, Omni, Mizuki, what do you do next?
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Unread 28th of October, 2010, 03:22
Doombot's Avatar
Doombot
Spirit of the Spartan Nation [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Member: #1704
Location: Spartan Country
Posts: 3,964 (0.87 per day)
I look sidelong at Malak. I think that means trouble. Any ideas?
__________________
"thank that Doombot guy for making you grow a beard. You looked like an idiot without one." -- treehouse's wife
The Gold Standard for Creepy - .9999 pure.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Unread 28th of October, 2010, 05:57
LightBringer's Avatar
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2777
Posts: 3,654 (0.87 per day)
(Actions depend: Can Omni tell if the poisonous effect was burnt off with the dust? How bad off are their lungs and singed bodies? Can Omni tell if the paralytic effect is going to continue to try and effect them?)
__________________
I am, therefore, I shall be.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Unread 28th of October, 2010, 12:37
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.44 per day)
((The poison is no longer in the air. Your lungs hurt and your have some burns, but I'd say that the wounds are minor. The poison will likely have a secondary effect in about a minute.))
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Unread 28th of October, 2010, 13:40
LightBringer's Avatar
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2777
Posts: 3,654 (0.87 per day)
I'll Focus on Neutralizing the poison then. Probably not needed, but better safe than sorry, especially with what we're getting into.
__________________
I am, therefore, I shall be.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Unread 29th of October, 2010, 22:46
MadDogMaddux's Avatar
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Member: #2980
Posts: 1,319 (0.35 per day)
In a flash, Jess is a blade in my hand, and I point to the area under the floor. It came from there, beneath the floor. I can only assume it came from the creature Tiber referenced below, or its counterpart in the parallel.

I turn to Tiber, What make you of it, sir?

(can I get a Knowledge Undead roll to identify the source of the scream in any way at all? Also, am I correct that where Malak has pinpointed.is the lair of our supposed Chain Devil?)
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Unread 30th of October, 2010, 04:53
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.44 per day)
((No, you know where the chain devil is - down the trapdoor about 15 feet behind you. Tiber showed you where. What you have before you is an obscured entrance hidden by a large flagstone. Knowledge: Undead, however will give you a good indicate that the scream is likely from an incorporeal spirit, tormented in some way. You don't have enough information to extrapolate further.))

Tiber can't answer right now. He's afflicted by some sort of pain that you cannot identify, and he's on the ground, along with his companion. It worsens with every scream.
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Unread 30th of October, 2010, 08:14
Doombot's Avatar
Doombot
Spirit of the Spartan Nation [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Member: #1704
Location: Spartan Country
Posts: 3,964 (0.87 per day)
I quickly move to the spot indicated by my large companion, my own Gurthang in my hand. Quickly confirming the spot, I begin searching around for any sort of access point -- seams in the floor between flagstones, sounds of hollowness, etc.
__________________
"thank that Doombot guy for making you grow a beard. You looked like an idiot without one." -- treehouse's wife
The Gold Standard for Creepy - .9999 pure.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Unread 30th of October, 2010, 08:25
MadDogMaddux's Avatar
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Member: #2980
Posts: 1,319 (0.35 per day)
Bear hybrid form, and Jess is now HUGE. Search the crack of the flagstone, wedge Jess in and pry up.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Unread 31st of October, 2010, 09:38
LadyGlutter's Avatar
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2781
Location: entropy chamber
Posts: 4,344 (1.04 per day)
I look at OmniFrost, and say quickly, "I'd wager there's more coming, and if we stand here we'll likely take the brunt of it. I'm staying, though, because it'll chase me if I leave."

((Activate Divine Shield.))
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Unread 1st of November, 2010, 09:58
LightBringer's Avatar
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2777
Posts: 3,654 (0.87 per day)
(Still working on poison...)

"I've got your back! No way I'm leaving, but I think I will try to protect the others, as much as possible." I move more behind Mizuki and us her as a shield to reduce any damaging effects coming our way, yet give myself room to cast around her.
__________________
I am, therefore, I shall be.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Unread 1st of November, 2010, 12:30
Doombot's Avatar
Doombot
Spirit of the Spartan Nation [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Member: #1704
Location: Spartan Country
Posts: 3,964 (0.87 per day)
Before stepping in to assist Malak, Beast of Seven Moons, I take a moment to concentrate and enlarge myself until I match him in size. Once done, I step forward and help heave the paver up and out of the way.
__________________
"thank that Doombot guy for making you grow a beard. You looked like an idiot without one." -- treehouse's wife
The Gold Standard for Creepy - .9999 pure.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Unread 2nd of November, 2010, 03:12
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.44 per day)
Aros, you are able to grab hold and lift the slab unassisted. You toss it to the side, and you reveal a cut stone staircase heading down into a dark (though simply unlit, not magically obscured) passage. You catch the strong smell of ancient dust, decay and embalming spices. While you cannot see very far, you can hear motion ahead of you, a sort of scraping shuffle.
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Unread 2nd of November, 2010, 06:03
MadDogMaddux's Avatar
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Member: #2980
Posts: 1,319 (0.35 per day)
I peer in (lowlight vision) and begin to prowl down the steps.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Unread 2nd of November, 2010, 11:37
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.44 per day)
Omni and Mizuki -

You give each other enough space to move around and then prepare for a defensive stand. The creatures along the walls burst from their respective clay bonds and stumble out and onto the floor. They were men and woman at one time, but years of the sleep of the dead have changed them. Take one of the creatures directly before you, Mizuki. It's skin has the same black enameled appearance of the skull you so recently filled with holy energy. It has no eyes, but rather eye sockets filled with green flame. Fingers which may have been human at one point end only in foot long talons. The creature gives off an unnatural chill, even standing some yards away from you. In fact the whole room begins to have an icy chill that seems to only grow colder by the second. The two of you count 2 dozen of the creatures begining to crowd around you, though you can tell that roughly half opt not to close with you directly, therefore creating two rings around you. These creatures step forward slightly but then look as if to make preparations of some kind. OmniFrost, you recognize the preparations of some sort of spellcasting, thought it is not to that point quite yet.

So, due to your proper preparations, it seems like you two will be able to move in proactive defense before these creatures properly act.


Malak, the steps are dusty from years of disuse, and you see no other prints than those you are making now. The stairs open up into a passage, which continues out of sight. What you see is wrought and quarried red granite, polished, but etched throughout with various eldritch markings you do not recognize, though the floor is similar to the flagstones you trod upon upstairs. You see no movement within your field of vision.
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Unread 2nd of November, 2010, 14:28
MadDogMaddux's Avatar
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Member: #2980
Posts: 1,319 (0.35 per day)
Hand signals to Aros to follow, when he draws near, I direct his attention to the arcane markings.

Alsobchange out weapon crystal for Greater Truedeath.

Last edited by MadDogMaddux; 2nd of November, 2010 at 14:35.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Unread 2nd of November, 2010, 21:37
Doombot's Avatar
Doombot
Spirit of the Spartan Nation [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Member: #1704
Location: Spartan Country
Posts: 3,964 (0.87 per day)
At Malak's behest I quickly appraise the carvings on the wall. Anything significant?
__________________
"thank that Doombot guy for making you grow a beard. You looked like an idiot without one." -- treehouse's wife
The Gold Standard for Creepy - .9999 pure.
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Unread 3rd of November, 2010, 11:57
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.44 per day)
You, Aros, recognize powerful necromantic sigils coupled with powerful enchantments. You know that if a creature were to die within this hall, it would be cursed with undeath. Likewise, there are conjurations tied to the necromantic charge, suggesting that, with the correct ritual, powerful undead could be summoned directly.

Since you are looking carefull at the carvings, you'll happen upon a few evocations that don't seem to be particularly tied to the curses laid before you. You can't place what they might be related to, but they deal with all four primal elements.
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Unread 3rd of November, 2010, 12:04
LadyGlutter's Avatar
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2781
Location: entropy chamber
Posts: 4,344 (1.04 per day)
I'll attempt to turn the butt uglies.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Unread 3rd of November, 2010, 12:21
Doombot's Avatar
Doombot
Spirit of the Spartan Nation [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Member: #1704
Location: Spartan Country
Posts: 3,964 (0.87 per day)
I nod at Malak. Necromancy, very powerful, I murmur under my breath. Summoning too. And something else; elemental. Seems to be offensive in nature. Be damn careful. Despite the need for stealth, I feel it necessary to warn my partner and for something this complex, hand signals just won't do. Once he's ready, I'll follow him down the stairs, Gurthang at the ready and one eye on our backs.
__________________
"thank that Doombot guy for making you grow a beard. You looked like an idiot without one." -- treehouse's wife
The Gold Standard for Creepy - .9999 pure.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Unread 3rd of November, 2010, 13:05
LightBringer's Avatar
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2777
Posts: 3,654 (0.87 per day)
"Hmm, surrounded huh." I turn my back to Mizuki's to be sure nothing can get a direct shot at her, then I'll start with a Blade Barrier. Starting as close to us as possible that will allow Mizuki to move(attack/defend) without getting hit by the barrier.
__________________
I am, therefore, I shall be.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Unread 3rd of November, 2010, 13:07
MadDogMaddux's Avatar
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Member: #2980
Posts: 1,319 (0.35 per day)
I nod, and crouch, getting to work searching for any sort of boobie traps, magical or nonmagical, and begin moving forward cautiously but as quickly as I can.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 22:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren