Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > fhgwdads05's Games > Shadows of Death

Unread 19th of March, 2009, 04:36
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Member: #2775
[OOC] Sanctuary

Hey all, this post marks the official pre-starting-phase of my first Exalted game as a Storyteller. It's a celebration! Wooooo!!!!

*party sounds*

Err.. um... Yeah...

So! This will be our OOC thread (duh, right? ). It will be for all non-IC discussion, and I would wholly prefer to keep such out of the character/IC/custom stuff/etc threads (more on this soon). You can always PM/IM me as well, and I hope to make frequent use of all of this. Until I get the main structural posts and such up, I ask you all please keep your posting to this thread and this thread alone.

If you are not a player in this game, then this thread is for you all as well. Feel free to poke your head in and comment (somewhat) freely, but I only ask that any lengthy discussions (longer than a post or two) move to the public forums on this board.

All right, well that's it for now. Players, report in!
erendiox (12:14:36 AM): utter chaos is what feeds my insatiable hunger

Last edited by fhgwdads05; 19th of March, 2009 at 13:47.
Unread 19th of March, 2009, 05:19
Eternal
Wight

Member: #745
私はここにいます。
Unread 19th of March, 2009, 07:06
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Member: #2929
Greetings Fellow players and a special greeting to our Evil Overlo- I mean Storyteller.

Checking in and letting you know I'll be joining you all.
Unread 19th of March, 2009, 10:39
Daedalus
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #568
Daedalus, reporting for duty, sir!
Unread 19th of March, 2009, 11:16
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Well, that's almost all of you. Just one more.
Unread 19th of March, 2009, 14:06
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #431
And then the Fourth horseman arrived.

Or Dragon. Take your pick.

Winner of the 2011 Coolest Avatar Award
Unread 19th of March, 2009, 14:16
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Okay, now that that's taken care of...

Welcome! And now for a little introduction... As you've probably already guessed, the Sub-Forums are going to be used for the following purposes:

The Monument of Falling Stars: Old IC threads, now-irrelevant setting material, deceased player characters (Kidding!)

The Roll of Heroes: Player Characters! Each character thread should include all relevant materials, such as your backstory, combat statistics such as Essence and Health Level tracks, character fictions, journals, etc.

The Celestial Forge: Custom Artifacts and Charms. There will be a discussion thread for these going up in this Forum soon - design, balancing, and any testing should all be discussed/handled here.

The Forbidding Manse of Ivy: A whole slew of relevant setting material, houserules, and various informative threads for things like Experience. Basically the same idea as Erendiox's Anthology and Compendium forums in Masters of Day and Night and Blooming Dawn.

These Forums will all be slowly filled over the course of the next month, with The Roll of Heroes most likely being last of which.

Last edited by fhgwdads05; 19th of March, 2009 at 14:33.
Unread 20th of March, 2009, 03:08
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Err..... I wasn't ready for characters yet, Eternal, but I suppose that's fine given you had provided me with all of the background materials beforehand. When the rest of you provide me with full backstories, you can get about posting your characters as well. When you do go about posting, I'd prefer if the character sheet is your first post - followed by a post for combat statistics, subsequently followed by a post containing your character's main sheet, and finally followed by posts for things like a picture, a short work of fiction related to your character, journal entries, etc (yes, Eternal, this means I want you to switch the placing of your backstory with your combat statistics, you can do it easily with Editing the threads and copy-pasta). I apologize if this may seem tedious or nitpicky, but it's just me trying to keep things uniform.

When you do post the character sheet, if you all could separate and categorize your Charms by the Ability (or parent Martial Arts Style, or Circle in the case of Sorcery), it would be really cool. I find that helps me a lot when I need to quickly check things, and it will seem an even better idea when you guys start gaining Charm, after Charm, after Charm >_>. Also, please give me a listing of possessions your character carries on his or her person, including Artifacts. Notate those items that may be stored out of sight, in Elsewhere, or what have you.

For combat statistics... Yes, I'd like this to include your Essence, Health Levels, Virtues, and Willpower. But also, please add your armored/unarmored (potentially Charm-enhanced) Soak values, Dodge DV values for before/after Armor, Parry DV values with and without all of your weapons (adding a shield bonus, if any, afterward), Mental DV(s) (unless you have a decent Parry DV or plan to use it, you only need to give me Dodge MDV), and related pools for any and all weapons you may use (Unarmed Punches or Kicks are not necessary, just helpful, but the pool for Clinching is need). For all of those extra things I just mentioned, I'd like to see calculations for these statistics. How you add these to the thread is your own call, but I suggest if you want to keep things neat that you add them all in text at font size 1 in a different color, preferably something more subtle than normal text like dark gray. If I were to do it, it'd look something like this:

Dodge DV: 5
Dexterity 4 + Dodge 3 + Specialty (Unarmored) 1 + Essence 2 = 10/2

A Custom Charm/Artifact/what-have-you thread will be up in a few minutes, soon followed by a thread for houserules (and the first few of which!). On houserules, when I do put them up, I'll ask for your opinion on the pending ones in this thread. I doubt that you guys will have any problems with the first few (lowering the prices of mundane and artifact armor to more reasonable levels), but please give me a heads up on them regardless. If anything seems weird or unfitting, be sure to let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by fhgwdads05; 20th of March, 2009 at 16:24.
Unread 21st of March, 2009, 21:17
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

For the new pricing and commitment on artifact armors: I like them. I agree that the way they're presented in the core book doesn't really match up with every other description of artifact power levels that's given.

For powerbows: I'll have to look these over a bit more when I'm more awake, but from a quick glance they seem to be okay. I'll look into that more when I get the chance.

Unread 22nd of March, 2009, 01:09
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Thanks. The only thing I'm slightly shaky on is the amount of damage, but I think that it needs to be around there or Immaculate Golden Bow quickly makes Powerbows look like plastic toys. -_-

Now my big question is what to do with Mundane Armor prices. They certainly seem to be too high, what with Articulated/Superheavy Plate costing as much as a grand palace. Though, there's a very definite scale to them in the Core, and the only way I can see even lowering things by one dot working would be to make Buff Jackets have no cost, which seems a little loopy.

Eternal, it looks like you may not have added the soak of your Articulate Plate onto your natural soak for the second number there. And so I take it Dragon goes around in nothing but Gravity Glaive, Articulated Plate, and the various items that exist only in his imagination ?

No official uniforms, no tent, no firewand even... Man, the Despot makes his mercs live a harsh lifestyle...

Last edited by fhgwdads05; 22nd of March, 2009 at 01:56.
Unread 22nd of March, 2009, 17:28
Eternal
Wight

DRAGON!

this isn't dnd, so i didn't put a hooded lantern, 25' of rope, flint and steel, 10 day rations, etc. only the necessities, like his +whatever sword and potion and stuff (:-p)... but I guess I could add whether it's boxers or briefs and stuff if you want.
Unread 22nd of March, 2009, 19:40
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

While something like a firewand would be nice to have stated out if Dragon had it, I kinda have to agree with Eternal. It's not D&D, and Exalted characters can pretty much be assumed to be carrying whatever is reasonable for A) the situation and B) the character.

Dragon's more likely to have a dress uniform than Kindle is that's for sure, but I don't see a reason for him to explicitly state he has one on his character sheet. Just my opinion on the matter.

Unread 23rd of March, 2009, 02:46
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

This is true... I meant mainly for important stuff. True, a dress uniform can be assumed given his position, and/or it's something he could simply state in the IC thread when it becomes relevant. However, considering your character has a Backing 4 and no Resources background at all.... Some of your things must come from your organization (mercenaries), especially stuff that may have had to requisition or what have you. It'd be nice to what you have of that if there's chance it may ever come up relevant for story purposes.

Things like food and general equipment aren't necessary, since the Survival Ability can cover a lot of what they'd provide for. I'll certainly welcome the addition for those wish to include the information, though. If you guys are wandering out in the desert without supplies, it'd be nice to know if I should be occasionally asking you for Survival checks or not.

Though red, I don't agree with you on that 100%. Unless you have some definite proof and/or a quotation from some canonical source. Of course you can assume, but for story purposes there may come times when knowing what a character has on him at the moment may be relevant to a scene. I like to think that the story should always be most important when determining these things. This doesn't mean that I'll deliberately screw you or anything horrible like that, but if some situation where that may be relevant happens to be coming up soon, I may mention it to you guys in advance and ask you to detail things for me.

Last edited by fhgwdads05; 23rd of March, 2009 at 10:42.
Unread 23rd of March, 2009, 10:42
Eternal
Wight

Think Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon. That's what he's wearing.

NOT!

Oh, and I have 3 in resources......
Unread 23rd of March, 2009, 11:22
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Oh. Forgot that.

Well, Resources definitely helps. Though I'm going to ask you to keep track of purchases.... Figuring out exactly which alternate system I'm using real soon. Updates to come in the Houserules thread.

By the by, those of you who are working up custom artifacts... Post your stuff in the Deliberation thread.
Unread 30th of March, 2009, 18:05
Eternal
Wight

Action! We some some action!
Unread 30th of March, 2009, 18:44
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

I'm being eaten by school, other games, a terrible sickness, and I think a small dog (it could be a gopher, I'm not very good with animals). I'm gunning for by the end of this week to have something posted...something.
Unread 31st of March, 2009, 05:26
Eternal
Wight

How about an unreasonably powerful bad guy for me to fight? If I beat him, I get a sh!t ton of xp! SOUND GOOD ST?!
Unread 7th of April, 2009, 07:10
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Hey guys... It's been a little while, how are your characters coming? You're all still in this, right? I know Eternal for one is itching to play, and I'd like to get going relatively soon... >_>

Eternal - Yeah, I know, your Artifact. I'm going to post something on the WW forums tonight, I promise.

EDIT: Just received clarification from Tag about you two (Red and Daedalus). Consider my questions rescinded.

Last edited by fhgwdads05; 7th of April, 2009 at 10:00.
Unread 8th of April, 2009, 01:11
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Everyone, please take a look at the latest post in Addenda for some fixes I may apply for the Solar (and Abyssal, technically) Anima powers. If we go with them, I'll make slight thematic modifications for the Abyssal versions (Midnight will need to be slightly altered mechanically as well), but otherwise they will remain mechanically the same as the new Solar Animas.

Last edited by fhgwdads05; 8th of April, 2009 at 01:14.
Unread 8th of April, 2009, 16:58
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Ok, so the question I have (pertaining to the night caste anima banner). The core book says that Night (Day) caste mute their anima banners at the cost of one extra mote for most charms and double the cost for obvious charms.

Does this effect the house rule at all? Or do Night/Day basically only flare/feed their anima banners when they want to?
Unread 8th of April, 2009, 20:16
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

The Night/Day Caste Anima remains unchanged in its ability to suppress Anima displays from mote expenditure and obvious charms.

"Caste Power: Heavenly Shadow: The Night Caste can disguise their animas. This power functions as the ability to suppress Essence use in the 2e corebook."

The only thing that's been changed about Night/Day Caste Anima powers whatsoever is their ability to add (Essence/2) to the difficulty of rolls to track/spot/follow them. That costs 5m now instead of 10m.
Unread 10th of April, 2009, 20:52
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

I got the stats for Kindle up as I have them now. But it's almost 4 am here so I'll try and put the rest up tomorrow. Today.

You get what I mean.

Unread 11th of April, 2009, 07:44
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Hmm, so, basically other than the cheaper cost to hide themselves night/day castes get no change.
Unread 11th of April, 2009, 09:42
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Posted the initial stats on your token Abyssal, Weeping Princess of Fate and Sorrow (Day caste). Let me know if there any problems with her.