Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Croaker's Games > In a Wicked Age

Unread 13th of August, 2010, 21:40
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #1407
Oracle 2: Unquiet Past

We consult the oracle:

An Unquiet Past

The father of a child possessed by a voracious spirit.

The convocation of a ruins' ghouls, gaunts, and wisps.

An unsavory treasure seeker, with an honest map.

A slow moving caravan with many wagons and travelers.

Sample Characters (You may take one of these, or create your own so long as it is in line with the Oracle's words.)

The father of the possessed child

The possessed child

The voracious spirit

The summoner at the ruins

A ghoul, gaunt, or wisp.

The unsavory treasure-seeker.

The honest map (if it happens to be a person).

The caravan leader.

A caravan guard.

A member of the caravan.
Unread 13th of August, 2010, 22:26
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #7487
Is the voracious spirit the same one that's inhabiting Raziel?

I'll take the summoner at the ruins.

Unread 13th of August, 2010, 23:33
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
I'll take the voracious spirit.
Unread 14th of August, 2010, 00:42
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

It (the spirit) can be the same spirit if Darius wants it to be.
Unread 14th of August, 2010, 07:37
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

Member: #8003
I'll be a wisp.
Unread 14th of August, 2010, 07:44
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Ooh, ooh, I think the summoner is the treasure hunter. He's summoning the dead to guide him through the ruins of a necropolis!

Unread 14th of August, 2010, 08:40
Explosive Cheese

Cool. I'm one of his summons then.
Unread 14th of August, 2010, 09:16
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

And I think he may be a younger Akihiqar, or at least of the same order of artifact-hunting priests as Akihiqar is from.

If it is Akihiqar, then he gets Sympathy at significance 2 (and I will make it Potent).

Last edited by Croaker; 14th of August, 2010 at 09:23.
Unread 14th of August, 2010, 11:32
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Member: #2929
I'll be the Honest Map. That sounds...interesting to say the least.

Seduce the wookie?!
Unread 14th of August, 2010, 11:57
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Okay so we have the Voracious Spirit that is possessing a boy. Why have you possessed this boy? To what purpose?

We have an unsavory treasure seeker who has summoned ghouls and ghasts and wisps at a ruins to help him. He might be a younger Akihiqar, though I'd like an explanation why a younger Akihiqar would have stronger skills in Sympathy?

One of those is a wisp with strong interests in the events going on. It has been summoned, but just how bound to the summons is it? What exactly IS a wisp, according to Cheese?

Tag is the Treasure Seeker's Honest Map. Just what ARE you?

I will start fleshing out the other NPCs.
Unread 14th of August, 2010, 14:23
Explosive Cheese

Maybe wisps are the spirits of very old trees, trees old enough to attain some kind of soul, which have died, especially in a violent way (such as being cut down for wood). This leaves them resentful of the world that murdered them, and thus bound to it. Normally their minds are not things humans can comprehend, being tree spirits, but when a human summons them through magic, the link to the summoner imparts to them a more human mindset. This allows them to fulfil their duties as a summoned spirit. (Feel free to offer improvements or changes, this is just off the top of my head)

This particular wisp is very tightly bound to the summons. Either by accident or design, the treasure hunter invoked a tight connection to the wisp he summoned, allowing the wisp to think almost as a human, and to be able to translate it's more tree-like thoughts and emotions to human terms, but leaving him very tightly bound to the treasure hunter. The wisp must remain close at all times, and has not the strength to escape (the summons acts as a spiritual tether, and this tether is quite short, and very hard to break). Should the treasure hunter release the summons, the wisp may go back to haunting its tree. In addition, should the wisp ever resolve its anger and resentment at having been felled as a tree, the wisp shall no longer be bound to the material plane, or the treasure hunter.

I'm not sure yet about who this particular wisp is, but I have a feeling its interests will have to do with resolving its resentment so that it may free itself, and in the more immediate future, with escaping its summons (perhaps by tricking the treasure hunter into releasing it).

Croaker, is it possible that as part of the ritual to summon this wisp, you created it in the first place by felling its tree? This could create some useful tensions between our characters. Just an idea I had. You could have just summoned one of the resident wisps as well, though I doubt they're very common. This is all presupposing that we as a group agree on my definition of wisps.

I will work on my character sheet shortly.
Unread 14th of August, 2010, 16:38
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Croaker could you or Tag describe what the treasure is that you are seeking?
Unread 14th of August, 2010, 16:55
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

NPCs for Chapter 2 are up in the Rogues Gallery, I will copy their names into this post. More NPCs may be made up as we go along, as well as more particular strengths. Also, the few that I have created have yet to be defined.

Naszir Ur-Nagha, Father of the Possessed, Piyar Caravan Leader

Mehka Eil, the Brute (a ghoul)

Zahir Rahm, King of Bones, (a ghoul)

Manishtusu, Keeper of the Alim Drati and Preserver of the Most Holy (a guant)

Taham Ur-Drodi, Herald of the Piyar Chieftain of the Red Hills

Omid, Piyar Guard

Hani'ata, a crone traveling with the caravan

Kimya, a slave to the crone.

I am defining Ghouls as humans who feed on the dead, worshipers of an ancient god, and who through their unusual practice have become warped creatures of undeath - trapped between the realm of the living and the dead, their bodies outliving their souls, such that any ghoul that has lived beyond its normal human longevity is left as a mad and hungry creature driven mostly by primitive instincts.

I am defining Guants as the spirits of the truly dead who have, through warped magics, been instilled back into their corpses. They are intelligent, and they view the ghouls as their servants - a lesser caste that should serve their needs. Some of them are quite powerful, especially their leader, who guards a most important treasure.

Wisps are going to be defined mainly upon what Cheese decides that they are, since he chose to be one. I will work out exactly what a wisp's general motivations are once I know more what Cheese decides.

The Caravan is slow moving because it is composed of a great many migrating people, the Piyar, who are relocating to the South to avoid the wrath of a great war in their homelands. They ride upon the Lamaxa, giant crawling insects, similar in form to a caterpillar, only capable of growing to gargantuan sizes. The Lamaxa are quite intelligent beasts, similar to the mental capacity of a dolphin. They emit a chittering that the Piyar believe is a basic form of communication. Some so-called Lamaxa Whisperers amongst the Piyar are widely sought after for their ability to mimic these sounds and train the beasts to carry large burdens for the nomadic Piyar people.

Last edited by AoM; 14th of August, 2010 at 17:12.
Unread 15th of August, 2010, 02:30
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
Why guant instead of gaunt?

Bashabael is a spirt of death and hunger, who in times past was worshipped as a minor god himself. He has managed to possess the son of Naszir Ur-Nagha when the child was playing with the relic that Bashabael had been bound in centuries ago. The child's will was weak enough that even in a reduced state Bashabael was able to displace the child's will, replacing it with his own.

Bashabael's particular strength is Consume.

Consume
This is the ability to force the possessed to devour all in its path, even those things that that normally would not be affected in the material world. The possessed person's mouth opens wider that seemingly possible, turning into a great fanged maw.
  • It requires that you be able to attack another.
  • It must be used With Violence. For NPCs it's good for Action.
  • Significance 1. It's Far-Reaching in that it can affect both corporeal and spiritual matter.
  • It's die is a d8.

Last edited by Darius; 15th of August, 2010 at 04:13.
Unread 15th of August, 2010, 02:40
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

yeah, gaunts. I'll fix that. Must've mispelled it somewhere along the line and didn't think to fix it.

And Bashabael sounds good.
Unread 15th of August, 2010, 02:52
Explosive Cheese

Darius, I believe that the significance of Consume should be Far-Reaching, rather than Broad. Broad means access to another dice form; Far-Reaching means access to more in-game areas.

Edit: Also, a question on significance - since multiple characters can sometimes take the same particular strength (for instance, multiple spirits taking Spirit or Consume), is the Significance of a Particular Strength tied to a character or the strength itself? That is, if Darius wants to take Consume as Broad/Far-reaching for Bashabael, and then a later spirit wants to take Consume, will they be able to pick a different Significance?

Last edited by Explosive Cheese; 15th of August, 2010 at 02:55.
Unread 15th of August, 2010, 04:43
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Cheese: Far-reaching means that it can affect more than it logically should. For instance, Darius can consume spirit-flesh. That's far-reaching.

Also, Significance can be tied to the Strength or the character, whatever makes logical sense. If it's a magical artifact that's Unique, Broad, and Potent, if someone takes the artifact through play somehow (the other character loses it and during the next chapter another player opts to take it), then they probably get the significance. If a form of magic is actually just a spirit that possesses you and allows you to use some of it's power, then significance increases could logically be tied to either the spirit increasing in power or the character learning to control the power of the spirit more effectively.

AoM: I'm not sure about the Sympathy increase. Maybe younger people are better at it. Maybe Akihiqar had an accident that stripped him of his power to Summon and his Sympathy by the time Chapter 1 was happening. Either way, I'm not sure I get to increase its Significance because Akihiqar wasn't a PC character in the last chapter, but I sent Vx an email asking him about it, so we'll see.

As for the treasure, it's an orb that lets the user control spirits. Obviously a Big Fucking Deal considering our cosmology. Maybe not God-spirits... but maybe God-spirits indeed!

Last edited by Croaker; 15th of August, 2010 at 04:47.
Unread 15th of August, 2010, 09:36
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

I don't think that the rules allow for it because Akihiqar was not a PC last chapter (which didn't finish anyway, so we really shouldn't rely on it for affecting this chapter)

AND I want all PCs at the same level, so keep it at significance 1.
Unread 15th of August, 2010, 09:39
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Darius: Cheese is right, if you want to have consume affect things that are not normally part of the material world, then you will need to take Far Reaching as the form - since that is specifically what that form does. (If I let things stand as is, I would be giving you that form for free, and I want significance 1.)
Unread 15th of August, 2010, 09:49
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

Okay Croaker and Tag, go ahead and get your characters and stats up, so I can approve them and we can enter into the Best Interest Round Robin.
Unread 15th of August, 2010, 17:24
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Did I not get my stats up??

Also, we shouldn't let the fact that the previous chapter ended abruptly affect anything: in the tabletop face-to-face game, chapters are only ever one session long. If you run out of time, the chapter is over.

Unread 15th of August, 2010, 17:45
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Sorry, been out of it for awhile (if you guys couldn't tell). I figured the honest map is a reluctant prophet. She has visions/dreams and must play her part in completing them. I figure she was hired by Croaker's character, given she's had visions of the treasure he seeks.

And yes, we should probably try to at least wrap up the previous chapter what like...a cliff hanger or something.

Seduce the wookie?!
Unread 15th of August, 2010, 19:51
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

I am curious as to how we might be able to get back to the chapter 1 characters.

But, I'm going to plow through this so that we can get back to playing - which is the important bit.

Okay, so I think we'll start with the best interest round robin. Anyone can come in and claim a best interest, after everyone has claimed a best interest, I will have the NPCs give theirs.
Unread 16th of August, 2010, 08:41
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Assuming this takes place in the past (which, given the oracle title I think is a safe assumption) then we do have two characters that were known to be running around outside of Waystone before chapter 1 occurred (Sawrina and Layhiri). Though given they didn't know each other we can only have one or the other (or we can ret con, that's also an option, Layhiri or Sawrini could have change enough they didn't recognize each other, Sawrini could have jsut ignored Layhiri, or Layhiri could have her own reasons for pretending to not know the Shelder, etc.).

Or, we could have the events that we're playing through in chapter 2 someone directly cause the events in chapter 1 (off the top of my head, this cast of characters could be the ones that woke up the demiurge.)

Just idle thinking mind, something to bear in mind as we write.

Seduce the wookie?!
Unread 16th of August, 2010, 09:06
AoM
Nightwing [GM]

BEST INTEREST ROUND ROBIN:

Naszir Ur-Nagha, Father of the Possessed, Piyar Caravan Leader

--I must exorcise and destroy the spirit possessing my son.

Mehka Eil, the Brute (a ghoul)

--Eat the heart of the interloper who has summoned me.

--Become Bashabael's vessel, merging his spirit with my own ensorcelled soul, that we might again attain godhood and break the shackles of our oppressors.

Zahir Rahm, King of Bones, (a ghoul)

--Find the woman who is sharing my visions and make her into a ghoul.

--Destroy the sacred orb, so that the prophecy can be fulfilled.

Manishtusu, Keeper of the Alim Drati and Preserver of the Most Holy (a gaunt)

-- Protect the sacred orb of the Alim Drati, and kill all who would defile the ruins of the temple.

Taham Ur-Drodi, Herald of the Piyar Chieftain of the Red Hills

-- Construct a safe and warded road through these haunted woods to the hill lands on the other side.

Omid, Piyar Guard

-- Bind the spirit Bashabael within a new relic, as my true masters wish.

Hani'ata, a crone traveling with the caravan

-- Drain the alluring essence of a powerful wisp, so that I may become young again.

Kimya, slave to Hani'ata

-- Return to her true master so that the prophecy can be averted.

-- Convince my one-time lover Sslissol to lure Zasalumi to her death. In return I shall give the Wisp what it seeks.

Last edited by AoM; 1st of September, 2010 at 06:26.