Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Cadrius' Games > Deadwatch Embers

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #26  
Unread 8th of June, 2004, 15:02
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Rhotha'ah

As the Dorn makes his way towards the sound of the noise, he reaches behind him and lifts the large sword from it's holster. Uttering a small pseudo-prayer to his ancestors, he prays that they will watch over his new companions as they head into the unknown to battle the Hound and his cadre of muscle.
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.
  #27  
Unread 9th of June, 2004, 04:08
Dirigible's Avatar
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #449
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,813 (0.33 per day)
Lyr

Half-jogging to keep out, Lyr utters a soft-voiced complaint at the Dorn's back. "Rhotha'ah, my friend, unless you wish to enter battle without allies on your flanks, I suggest you shorten your stride to match ours." The smaller man's tone is mildly exasperated, and fractionally winded.

Last edited by Dirigible; 9th of June, 2004 at 04:13.
  #28  
Unread 10th of June, 2004, 01:33
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Rhotha'ah

Rhotha'ah spins around in his tracks, sword loose in his hand but still ready to be used, stopping immediately to let his slower companions catch up. In the chilled air, the Dorn's breath steams and floats away, yet the cold doesn't seem to bother him at all. Once they have gathered about him once more, he sets off again, but slower so they can keep up.
  #29  
Unread 11th of June, 2004, 14:09
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.93 per day)
Aashya

A slim sarcosan shadow crosses well behind the light of the torch and across the road. By the far side, near the thinning, trees she feels much safer. It isn't thick like a forest, but should those in front turn around she'll have more cover in which to hide.

Stealth be damned, she moves forward. The four people and the wolf had seemed single-minded in their focus, they wouldn't notice a small woman trailing them. They're focused on the danger ahead, and not what might be lurking behind them.

They come to a stop for a moment, and so too does Aashya while the three shorter companions catching up to the larger one. Soon enough though they set off, although at a slightly slower pace. Perhaps the dorn sets too long a stride for the others.

It hasn't rained in a while. She can tell by the dryness of the grass and the loud crack of a twig that she steps upon in the dark. Freezing in place, Aashya eyes lock on the people ahead, but they pay her no heed.

But there's something out here in the dark with her. She can feel it. And it's very, very close.

Dun, Rhotha'ah, Lyr, Aleina

The brief respite allows the erenlanders to catch the dorn before setting a more managable pace. No sign of Heulwen or her wogren, Cytaill, can be seen. Yet her legs are even shorter than their's. It will likely take the young halfling quite some time to reach their goal. Perhaps twice as long as the dorn were he left to his own pace.

They're drawing closer to the sight of the lightning. Perhaps as near as over the next rise...

Heulwen

Tall people are always walking too quickly. They miss all sorts of things in the world around them. Animals, plants, tracks; it's all very easy to miss when you're twice the height of a halfling. And yet Heulwen notices something else altogether while she moves along the side of the road.

Snap.

The sound of a twig breaking underfoot is distinctive and it was not crushed beneath her own. She looks over to Cytaill and sees the wogren crouched, watching down the road, back toward Kingscross. She stops and looks over her shoulder, searching the dark. The wogren isn't growling yet, simply crouching, waiting.

Keen eyes move from shadow to shadow, looking for the noise. Her heart quickens a bit. Her new companions are growing more distant as their damned long legs carry them down the road.

There. She sees it. It's a...woman? A human woman crouched by the side of the road. She'd taken the same route Heulwen had, although she'd been decidedly less stealthy. But that isn't what worries the halfling. It's the larger form, one of a man, that's slowly stealing up behind the woman that sets the halfling's nerves on edge. Starlight glints ever so faintly off the blade of a dirk in his hand. A few more moments and he'll be on her.

OOC: Drop this text at http://www.irony.com/java/mmee
*BEGIN 0 0 rs 0
*s -1 2c 5k rs 0 0 2c -5k 2c 5k 2c 5k *s -1 3o 5o rs 0 0 3o -5g
@3o 5o 3o 5o 3o 5o 3o 5o *s -1 2c 5o rs 0 0 2c 5g 2c 5o *s -1 3o
@4 rs 0 0 3o 4 3o -4 *s -3 7h 9t rs 0 *s -3 7h 9q rs 0 *s -3 4b
@8g rs 0 *s -3 45 8l rs 0 *s -3 44 8l rs 0 *s -3 49 8d rs 0 *s
@-3 47 9u rs 0 C *s -3 7k 97 rs 0 *s -3 7j 8l rs 0 *s -3 7i 8l
@rs 0 H *s -3 9q 7k rs 0 *s -3 7i 3x rs 0 *s -3 7j 4i rs 0 A *s
@-3 86 3u rs 0 *s -3 86 3z rs 0 *s -3 85 3x rs 0 *s -3 88 40
@rs 0 *s -3 89 3w rs 0 *s -3 88 41 rs 0 *s -3 8a 3y rs 0 *s
@-3 87 3y rs 0 *s -3 87 3y rs 0 *s -3 88 39 rs 0 S *s -3 8x 33
@rs 0 *s -3 8x 3b rs 0 *s b 8z 30 rs 0 *s b 8c 4e rs 0 *s b a9
@5n rs 0 *s b 9p 6z rs 0 *s b 9o 5a rs 0 *s b 87 1w rs 0 *s b 7u
@e rs 0 *s b 96 11 rs 0 *s b 9v 26 rs 0 *s b 9d 22 rs 0 *s b 8s
@2b rs 0 *s b ak 44 rs 0 *s b a0 30 rs 0 *s b 9o 41 rs 0 *s b ao
@55 rs 0 *s b ay 7q rs 0 *s b al 6m rs 0 *s b a2 7o rs 0 *s b a3
@8w rs 0 *s b 9n 9z rs 0 *s b 8o av rs 0 *s b 95 7t rs 0 *s b 8k
@6n rs 0 *s b 93 5j rs 0 *s b 91 4o rs 0 *s b 9f 6g rs 0 *s b 8f
@9z rs 0 *s b b1 aa rs 0 *s b ce 9e rs 0 *s b bm 8n rs 0 *s b az
@9h rs 0 *s b 8g cc rs 0 *s b d1 51 rs 0 *s b cf 6g rs 0 *s b dl
@7z rs 0 *s b dr 9c rs 0 *s b c3 7u rs 0 *s b ba 6e rs 0 *s b bu
@58 rs 0 *s b d2 3s rs 0 *s b bl 2i rs 0 *s b c0 3r rs 0 *s b au
@3b rs 0 *s b ac 1c rs 0 *s b cr 1e rs 0 *s b em 28 rs 0 *s b e4
@3w rs 0 *s b b2 k rs 0 *s b e5 p rs 0 *s b db 2k rs 0 *s b ed 6k
@rs 0 *s b e8 4y rs 0 *s b em 90 rs 0 *s b dq ay rs 0 *s b eh c8
@rs 0 *s b bx cn rs 0 *s b cn ba rs 0 *s b ao bj rs 0 *s b 9l c5
@rs 0 *s -1 3o 6s rs 0 0 3o 4k 3o 6s *s -1 2c 6w rs 0 0 2c 4g 2c
@6w *s -1 3o 6w rs 0 0 3o 6g 3o 6w *s -3 40 4u rs 0
*END -mqax46

Last edited by Cadrius; 12th of June, 2004 at 02:11.
  #30  
Unread 12th of June, 2004, 02:49
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.54 per day)
Aashya

She doesn't breathe. That twig-snap sounded about as loud as the thunderclap had earlier, or at least it made the young Sarcosan woman's nerves twitch about as much as the thunderclap had.

The torchlight moves on without a pause, oblivious of the poor attempt at sneaking that is going on behind it. But before Aashya can let her breath out and resume her course, she is overwhelmed by a feeling of being watched.

A shiver, like a cold breath, prickles the back of her neck. She whips her head around, but there's only more darkness behind her. Tree shadows loom; some at the edge of her vision seem to lurch. But it's just so blasted dark - her eyes are playing tricks on her.

It's nothing ....... Just my imagination, she tells herself, mistrusting her own instincts. But all the possibilities are running rampant through her mind now as she strains to see through the palpable black. Wild animals. Bandits. Even ghosts seem like a real threat.

At some point she starts breathing again, but otherwise she stands just like this, turning her head slowly to look around blindly as the minutes tick away.....
  #31  
Unread 12th of June, 2004, 04:15
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Heulwen

While she has no way of determining the intentions of the human female, the intentions of the male behind her couldn't be clearer. The naked blade is obviously intended for the back of the woman.

The man could be one of the hound's associates. Who else would be out here, prowling the road at night. But by the same token, why is the woman out here? Who is she, why would she be creeping about without taking precautions to stay hidden and silent?

Her concious mind racing, Heulwen instincts guide her actions. Bow already in hand, it is a simple process for her to draw and fire, which she does without even thinking. As the arrow flys from her bow, her concious mind catches up with her instincs, and Heulwen realizes that her unconcious action might have given away her position and quickly tries to duck out of sight again.
  #32  
Unread 13th of June, 2004, 00:45
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.93 per day)
Cytaill watches the scene unfold with an impassive stare. After all, what are the lives of two humans to a wogren? The man continues forward, unaware of the halfling and her companion watching. The woman is hunched, blind to all three.

The thrum of the bowstring breaks the silence. Aashya doesn't recognize the sound but her body does and it shouts danger to her. Falling to one knee, the sarcosan instinctively ducks. She feels more than sees the flight of the arrow as it rips through the space her head had occupied but a moment earlier.

The shot had been difficult, but the halfling's arrow is true. A grunt of pain confirms the hit; the arrow has bitten into his shoulder. Yet the man lunges forward. Closing the last few feet with Aashya he makes a wild stab with the dirk. It misses. The wound clearly pains him and the man swaps the blade over to his left hand.

Initiative
Assailant - 20
Aashya - 15
Heulwen - 14
Cytaill - 14
  #33  
Unread 13th of June, 2004, 04:03
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.54 per day)
Aashya

Before she can truly internalize the fact that someone has shot at her out of the darkness behind her, missed her but hit someone else instead, and is still out there, perhaps nocking another arrow at this very moment, a shadowy figure looms up out of the darkness in front of her and swipes at her with a small but deadly blade.

A sharp cry bursts from her lips, involuntarily: "A-aa!" Aashya throws her hands up in front of her face, cringing in fear.

But then her hands do something surprising. They form themselves into fists without her even thinking about it. Her legs and feet shift under her, causing her crouch to become more balanced, more controlled. Her body tenses, then relaxes, then suddenly springs into action.

She stands, one foot lunging forward, and strikes out with her fist. Now she can see her attacker more clearly; he's switched the knife to the other hand because of the arrow in his shoulder! She changes the trajectory of her blow slightly to aim for his wounded arm....
  #34  
Unread 13th of June, 2004, 11:18
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Heulwen

As her arrow flies home, Heulwen first concentrates on hiding herself, and then nocks another one. The two figures are now enganged in combat, however, so she waits to see the results. Casting a sidelong glance at Cytaill, she readies herself to whistle him off should he move to attack before whats happening resolves itself.
  #35  
Unread 13th of June, 2004, 12:08
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.93 per day)
The move works, if not perfectly, catching the man by surprise. Her fist lashes out, seeking the arrow embedded in his shoulder, but the man favors that arm and shields it with his torso. Her fist lands a glancing blow on his upper stomach and the attacker grunts once more in pain.

Heulwen ducks aside, hiding herself behind a thin birch tree. She peeks around the other side to watch the fight. The woman is unarmed and is at least a foot shorter than her attacker, but the arrow pains him and it shows. Plus she seems to hold her own in the melee, gracefully twisting and dodging the quick thrusts. A glance to Cytaill shows nothing new. The wogren still crouches and watches the fight, but he makes no move to join battle.

The halfling looks back in time to see the woman narrowly avoid the dirk. She sidesteps at the last moment while her arms strike the man's to deflect the blow. She's uncut, but can she keep it up? Wounded or not, the man is no slouch with his knife.
  #36  
Unread 13th of June, 2004, 13:06
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.54 per day)
Aashya

She feels amazingly calm once she starts to fight back. She falls into a rhythm that is somehow familiar, even though she can't remember how she knows to do what she's doing. She's rusty though, that's obvious.

There's an archer behind me, she reminds herself. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put the knife-wielder between herself and the bowman.

Aashya begins to circle around, faking a stumble to draw her opponent around after her. She recovers her balance quickly, leaning back away from the man while at the same time striking out with her foot at his knee.
  #37  
Unread 13th of June, 2004, 22:20
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Heulwen

It is obvious that she hasn't been noticed, and her bow is ready in her hand, but Heulwen hesitates. The woman seems to be manouvering to get out of her line of fire, but she still partially blocks the shot. Moving slowly, Heulwen tries to position herself to get a clearer shot, getting closer, but staying hidden.
  #38  
Unread 14th of June, 2004, 06:41
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.93 per day)
Men often underestimate the fairer sex, particularly when it comes to combat. And why not? They tend to be faster, stronger, tougher, than women, why should they consider them a threat? Especially a sarcosan who doesn't even stand five feet off the ground. This is what Aashya banks on as she feints a stumble past her assailant, but there's a problem in all of this. Her previous attack has tipped her hand and the man isn't fooled.

He sees through the bluff and brings the blade across in a slash at her face. She jerks back, avoiding the blade by scant inches avoiding injury for the third time. She idly wonders how many more times it can happen before a blow will land.

But the move is not without merit as the man now has his back to the archer. He looks painfully aware of the fact and casts a quick glance over his shoulder.

"Bugger this."

The man flips the dirk back to his right hand and pushes past Aashya. She lashes out, her fist seeking his kidney but he wards off the attack with an arm and is soon loping down the road as fast as he can.

Drop this text at http://www.irony.com/java/mmee
*BEGIN 0 0 rs 0
*s -1 2c 5k rs 0 0 2c -5k 2c 5k 2c 5k *s -1 3o 5o rs 0 0 3o -5g
@3o 5o 3o 5o 3o 5o 3o 5o *s -1 2c 5o rs 0 0 2c 5g 2c 5o *s -1 3o
@4 rs 0 0 3o 4 3o -4 *s -3 7h 9t rs 0 *s -3 7h 9q rs 0 *s -3 4b
@8g rs 0 *s -3 45 8l rs 0 *s -3 44 8l rs 0 *s -3 49 8d rs 0 *s
@-3 47 9u rs 0 C *s -3 7k 97 rs 0 *s -3 7j 8l rs 0 *s -3 8w 6h
@rs 0 H *s -3 9q 7k rs 0 *s -3 7i 3x rs 0 *s -3 7j 35 rs 0 A *s
@-3 86 3u rs 0 *s -3 86 3z rs 0 *s -3 85 3x rs 0 *s -3 88 40
@rs 0 *s -3 89 3w rs 0 *s -3 88 41 rs 0 *s -3 8a 3y rs 0 *s
@-3 87 3y rs 0 *s -3 87 3y rs 0 *s -3 7k 3v rs 0 S *s -3 8x 33
@rs 0 *s -3 8x 3b rs 0 *s b 8z 30 rs 0 *s b 8c 4e rs 0 *s b a9
@5n rs 0 *s b 9p 6z rs 0 *s b 9o 5a rs 0 *s b 87 1w rs 0 *s b 7u
@e rs 0 *s b 96 11 rs 0 *s b 9v 26 rs 0 *s b 9d 22 rs 0 *s b 8s
@2b rs 0 *s b ak 44 rs 0 *s b a0 30 rs 0 *s b 9o 41 rs 0 *s b ao
@55 rs 0 *s b ay 7q rs 0 *s b al 6m rs 0 *s b a2 7o rs 0 *s b a3
@8w rs 0 *s b 9n 9z rs 0 *s b 8o av rs 0 *s b 95 7t rs 0 *s b 8k
@6n rs 0 *s b 93 5j rs 0 *s b 91 4o rs 0 *s b 9f 6g rs 0 *s b 8f
@9z rs 0 *s b b1 aa rs 0 *s b ce 9e rs 0 *s b bm 8n rs 0 *s b az
@9h rs 0 *s b 8g cc rs 0 *s b d1 51 rs 0 *s b cf 6g rs 0 *s b dl
@7z rs 0 *s b dr 9c rs 0 *s b c3 7u rs 0 *s b ba 6e rs 0 *s b bu
@58 rs 0 *s b d2 3s rs 0 *s b bl 2i rs 0 *s b c0 3r rs 0 *s b au
@3b rs 0 *s b ac 1c rs 0 *s b cr 1e rs 0 *s b em 28 rs 0 *s b e4
@3w rs 0 *s b b2 k rs 0 *s b e5 p rs 0 *s b db 2k rs 0 *s b ed 6k
@rs 0 *s b e8 4y rs 0 *s b em 90 rs 0 *s b dq ay rs 0 *s b eh c8
@rs 0 *s b bx cn rs 0 *s b cn ba rs 0 *s b ao bj rs 0 *s b 9l c5
@rs 0 *s -1 3o 6s rs 0 0 3o 4k 3o 6s *s -1 2c 6w rs 0 0 2c 4g 2c
@6w *s -1 3o 6w rs 0 0 3o 6g 3o 6w *s -3 40 4u rs 0 *s -1 3s 1w
@rs 0 0 3s 1w 2o -1w *s -1 38 8 rs 0 0 38 -8 30 8 *s -1 3g 4 rs 0
@0 30 -4 3g 4
*END ag3st6
  #39  
Unread 14th of June, 2004, 11:33
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.54 per day)
Aashya

A razor sharp blade whistles through the air practically under her nose; it actually clips a lock of Aashya's hair as it passes. Why is she still trying to punch and kick when she ought to be running for her life? I must be mad! she thinks franticly, even as another, alien part of her brain continues to search for an opening in her assailant's defenses.

But the man has evidently taken enough of a beating, and runs away cursing. He disappears into the darkness, and with him goes Aashya's calm assurance and the ability to master her own limbs. Her knees give out and she sits down hard, like a baby that suddenly finds itself walking unassisted when it didn't know it could.

She's lost control of her breathing now too, gasping and taking in great gulps of the cold night air. That knife! It missed me by an inch! If I hadn't been quick enough...... She shudders to think of it, and then can't stop shaking. Everything had happened too fast. First the arrow had come whizzing b--

The archer!

By the Host! She'd forgotten. And here she sits, just off the road, a clear target. Diving for the trees, Aashya scrambles away on all fours, hardly what you'd call gracefully. She crouches behind the first tree she comes to, not even daring to peer out from around its trunk back in the direction from which the arrow had come.
  #40  
Unread 14th of June, 2004, 12:51
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Heulwen

As the man takes off, seperating himself from the woman, Heulwen lets fly with the arrow she nocked earlier, hoping to bring him down or speed his retreat even more. She then ducks into hiding again, painfully aware that the woman has done the same and may even now be searching her out.
  #41  
Unread 15th of June, 2004, 19:55
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.93 per day)
There's a calm to be found in archery, even when assaulted on the road in the middle of the night. Knock, draw, release; there's something peaceful in it amidst the danger of the situation. Heulwen's bow thrums once more and a second arrow races through the dark. This time the woman is not in the way to hinder the halfling's shot. Yet the distance is greater than before and even with keen eyes, starlight does not making shooting easy. The arrow grazes the man's already wounded arm and he stumbles before stumbling off again.

Meanwhile, Aashya leaps into the woods. By a stroke of fortune she finds a small cluster of rocks, not a few feet from her tree. It looks perfect for sheltering her from eyes on all but one side. Quiet as a shadow, she covers the two steps between her and it. She nestles between the man-sized stones and grows very still, attempting to become a rock herself.

Last edited by Cadrius; 15th of June, 2004 at 20:00.
  #42  
Unread 16th of June, 2004, 03:55
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Heulwen

Nodding in satisfaction as her arrow has its desired effect, Heulwen spares the man only another glance to ensure that he is really leaving before looking for the woman. She, however, has ducked into the trees along side the road and disappeared from sight for the moment. Scanning the area where she last saw the woman, Heulwen searches for a sign but can find nothing. Her nose, however, tells her that the woman is still close by.

Putting her whistle to her lips, Heulwen gives it a light blow, calling Cytaill to her side. When he gets there, she looks to him for direction, knowing that his senses are far better than hers in the dark.
  #43  
Unread 16th of June, 2004, 10:02
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.93 per day)
Heulwen and Aashya

Cytaill watches the halfling for a moment, studying her, before finally rising from his crouch and padding over to her. His head sweeps back and forth across the road, but it isn't his eyes that are searching. Slowly the wogren moves forward, ears twitching and nose close to the ground, sniffing for a scent. He moves back and forth before pausing and listening intently. Cytaill moves again, searching out the remaining combatant.

He makes no attempt for silence, and the huddled woman can hear what is clearly an animal slowly making its way toward her. It doesn't know where she is yet judging by the vaguely meandering movement, but it's getting closer and if it's a hound it will pick up her scent.

Dun, Rhotha'ah, Lyr, and Aleina

An eternity passes, or so it seems to the four moving through the night. The next rise, the one which looks to promise a revelation to the electric enigma, creeps closer. Only the mule, Bombur, seems unaffected. He plods forward as he always does, heedless of what danger might lie two hundred yards away.

One step, and then another, and the rise gets closer, the ground a little steeper. The four begin to plod like Bombur, slow and steady, finding a goal in reaching the top. The worry of what threats may lurk beyond remain in the background. All they want is to see what happened and what, if anything, still happens.

Perhaps it's not a surprise, given the appearance of lightning out of a clear night sky, but it's still shocking all the same. A distance from the blast small fires burn, casting some light. In from there the ground is black, scorched from the bolt. And at the center is a man, or the remnants of one. The lightning has turned his chest into a smoking ruin, melting flesh where it did not create a hole.

But there are those that still draw breath.

At the edge of the four's vision three men stand, two circle the one. The fires do not illuminate them, but it seems clear who they must be. The Hound has finally caught the Healer, and he has one of his guards with him. The flicker of starlight catches a blade in the guard's hand. If the other two are armed, it is not visible.

The two circle the one in a deadly dance. One played by mountain lions and wolves. It is but a matter of time before they collapse the circle and seize their prey.
  #44  
Unread 16th of June, 2004, 12:56
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.54 per day)
Aashya

The rocks are cold, but she presses herself up against them, trying to make herself as small and as quiet as possible. She concentrates on breathing slowly, calmly, though it's difficult with her mind racing as it is.

What just happened out there? The people on the road..... The invisible archer..... The man with the knife..... What do they all have to do with each other? And what do they have to do with her?

Not important, Aashya tells herself firmly, shifting her position slightly to draw her knees up under the warmth of her cloak. What IS important: Where are they all now?

Is the archer out there still, waiting for her to make a move? What happened to the man? How will she manage to get away unseen?

While she wonders these things (for the most part futilely), she also listens. A heavy silence seems to lie over the land. There's only the feeble wind rustling the leaves in the trees now and then.

No wait, what was that? It sounds like something moving around. There it is again, she hears it clearly this time: the padded footsteps of some kind of animal. It's getting closer.

It will find me.

She knows it as surely as she knew before that she was not alone in the dark. This time she doesn't doubt her instincts. An animal doesn't need to see her or hear her to find her. Not this close. It will find her. What can she do?

She has a knife. Gylda gave it to her, like she gave her this cloak, and so many other things that Aashya needed for her journey. It's just a utility knife, not really a weapon. But it will have to do. She shifts again, to pull the knife from her pocket; then she takes it from its sheath to hold in unsteady fingers.

And she waits.
  #45  
Unread 16th of June, 2004, 18:47
Dirigible's Avatar
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #449
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,813 (0.33 per day)
Lyr

Don't look at it. Don't look at it. Even at this distance, Lyr fancies he can smell the snap-cooked reek of human flesh. It? He feels sick; both from the horror of seeing his first corpse, and from the fact he so easily turned that dead man into an it. He was the enemy. As his gorge begins to rise, Lyr clsoes his eyes for a moment, forcing himself back into calmness. See the Flame, feel its constance, its warmth, its light. Hanging outside of time, feeling the distant throb of Spell Energy within his soul, for a few prescious seconds, Lyr reacheives emotional balance.

He scans what his perceptions had already taken in from the scene before him. So, it was the Healer's sorcery that called the power of the storm. Good. That, at least, meant that the Hound was not a thaumaturgic legate by inclination. Probably.

Ly's dark eyes snap back open, and strain against the darkness. There. The scholar's brow twitches; odd that these hunters would pause so long now that their prey was at hand, rather than making the killing blow. Do they fear that he might call down more lightning? Perhaps they had tried to speak with their prey, to persuaded or threaten him into yielding. So... two of them, at least one a brawler, and the Hound an unknown quantity.

He then glances at his three companions - where did the halfling and her beast get to? Dun bore a thinblade and some kind of flail - hopefully, he knew how to use them. Aleina... well, she could hardly be less able than Lyr himself in battle. The Dorn, with his size, barely-muzzled ferocity and mighty axe would doubtless be a battering ram of death in melee. Would he be able to take on both of the enemy? Well, according the the Venerable Moldura of Highwall, in the Third Age a band of dornish bear-sarkers had successfully engaged with an orcish force three times their number... given that the Hound's minion was unlikely to have the natural qualities of an orc... Lyr supresses a groan as he realises what he's been doing. Foolish, foolish. This is no time for a lecture! They needed a strategy, and fast...

By the time one had come to mind, the other three were already enacting their own plans and intentions.


OOC: Lyr loses his actions in the first round as he struggles to overcome his nausea and hesitates in the face of danger.

Last edited by Dirigible; 16th of June, 2004 at 18:51.
  #46  
Unread 16th of June, 2004, 21:19
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Rhotha'ah

The Dorn narrows his eyes at the Hound and his now singular guard, muttering a barely contained growl. The scene reminds him of two masked thugs circling the sorceress from his tribe before they cut her down. This time, however, instead of pushing back his rage, he nurtures it, savors it, and drinks from it like a firely ale that fills him with power.

Barely containing the swell of rage within him, Rhotha'ah drives the torch into the wet ground, snuffing the flames out and dropping the four into darkness. Turning his gaze to his companions, he motions them to follow him as best they can to surge forth and attack, before heading down the rise and towards the man, caring little for stealth and silence.

OOC: Taking a double move towards the Hound and the Healer this round. My sword is already drawn, IIRC.

Last edited by Kahluah; 16th of June, 2004 at 23:31.
  #47  
Unread 16th of June, 2004, 22:29
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Heulwen

As Cytaill begins his search, Heulwen slings her bow over her shoulder and draws her sword. Chances were that Cytaill would be too close to the woman for her bow to be effective when he found her.

As she watches, an idea forms in Heulwen's mind. It worked with Aleina...

"A little thanks for saving your life might be in order," she calls out in Erenlander, before silently begining to circle around the woman's last position.
  #48  
Unread 17th of June, 2004, 01:30
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.54 per day)
Aashya

Thanks? .... For saving my life?

Aashya is at first confused by these words, and almost calls back a rebuttal.

"What do you mean 'saving my life'? You almost shot me!"

But then it occurs to her that the person doing the talking is probably using a ploy to try to draw her out. Or distract her from the animal she hears coming closer. Could the animal be the dog she saw earlier? And the archer be the dog's master?

Aashya clamps her jaw shut tight, and grits her teeth. She won't be tricked into giving away her position so easily.

Odd though ....... The quality of the archer's voice is not what she expects. It sounds young.... and female. She's a little less frightened and uncertain as she waits, silent, in the dark.
  #49  
Unread 17th of June, 2004, 03:19
Berova's Avatar
Berova
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #453
Posts: 212 (0.04 per day)
Dun

At the sight of the charred remains, Dun holds his breath and shakes his head, thinking... "What a way to die." There was not any time for deep thought as danger was present and lurked ahead.

A quick glance at his companions, the Dorn was ready for action, but his fellow Erelander and the woman? He was not so sure... and where did the Halfling go?

Dun concludes, they need to act quickly if they are to have any chance of saving the Healer, although he is unsure the Dorn's chosen method is necessarily the very best. Dun tightens his grip upon his bow and says to Lyr and Aleina as he bounds off after Rhotha'ah, "Be very careful out there."

OOC: Dun will double move towards the three men veering off from Rhotha'ah's path to present more than one avenue/angle of attack. If at all possible, he will try to line up either the guard or the Hound between himself and the Healer (in order to maximize his attack). As he gets closer, he will take advantage of what cover there is available.
  #50  
Unread 17th of June, 2004, 04:07
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,850 (1.76 per day)
Aleina

They crest the small rise like bits of flotsam atop a low swell; the scene before them sends a spike of fear into her heart. Bombur's reign drops from her hand, forgotten. Lyr had been correct in his guess - the bolt was magical, though it was the hound's henchman who had suffered. The healer was as powerful as she had guessed though the knowledge brings her no solace. There was death here, it's acrid stench dressed in red flame. But there was a chance for life as well.

Indeed, that was the chance she had hoped for when they set out after the healer. Looking down on the hunted man harried by Izrador's predators, she understands fully what that quest meant. It meant that to save some life she might need to take some other. It is not a choice she wants to make. It is a choice she wants to believe is unnecessary.

There must be a better way.

To each side, Rhotha'ah and Dun melt off, unburdened by her fears or at least content in their own decisions. The energy is there, within her, she can feel it. To call upon it now might be to end the conflict before they become involved. It might save one of their lives. With that thought comes a wave of longing, the pull of a shrouded desire. Her hands involuntarily rise. Nearby, Lyr freezes, caught in his own mental dilemma and seemingly unaware of anything else.

Aleina pauses, unwilling to take the step that will irrevocably announce what she is to everyone here. The magic might save them, but it might damn them as well. Her hands rise a second time and then squeeze into fists as she pushes the urge away. Dun and Rhotha'ah have moved away; perhaps she could end this another way.

One dead and two engaged with the healer. Where is the fourth?

She didn't know, and she didn't have time to find out. Bloodshed was imminent. Casting aside her doubts, she calls down in a ringing voice.

"HOLD! Stand back from the healer and cast your weapons aside! You are but two and badly outnumbered, pitted against forces beyond your power. Do as I say and this can end."
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 04:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren