Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Cadrius' Games > Deadwatch Embers

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #51  
Unread 8th of October, 2003, 07:50
Berova's Avatar
Berova
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #453
Posts: 212 (0.04 per day)
Dun

As the woman quickly brushes by, Dun takes a quick, practiced half-step to the side, making way for her. He takes a gander back as she leaves the inn offering a silent whistle. Nevertheless, he maintains his good cheer as he turns back to the proprietor and the matter at hand.

Turning to the two men, the bartender seems to brighten a bit, becoming more jovial again.

He grins and beckons them forward.


"Weary Wanderer indeed! Tell us barkeep, are all women in these parts so warm and charming?" Dun asks with a big smile and a slight squint as he steps up to the bar.

"She sure's a looker though, eh?" he adds cheerily.

And before the bartender gets impatient with them, Dun clears his throat and gets to the point, "Um, er ... yes, no doubt you can guess we're here for the festivities and would like some accommodations in your fine establishment."



Last edited by Berova; 8th of October, 2003 at 16:47.
  #52  
Unread 8th of October, 2003, 09:48
Swashbuckler's Avatar
Swashbuckler
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #454
Location: Yaaaaaaa! Zombies!
Posts: 104 (0.02 per day)
Feyd - meanwhile, back at the clothier ...

"Afraid someone else came in and got the only other thing I had in that size earlier. Do you want this? Or do you want me to make something else? Speaking of which, what're you looking to trade?"

Feyd's expression turned to one of curious confusion. Someone else? Now who ...? Ah!

"That wouldn't have happened to be the Captain, would it?" Feyd queried of the tailor. "No matter. I have 10 sewing needles, a couple of vials of ink. I'll bet a clothier as good as you is in need of dyes, as well as the tools of the trade? Otherwise I also have a bunch of other things, I'm sure we can find something to agree upon."

He awaited the answer from the tailor, and tried to see if anything he mentioned had caught a sparkle in the merchant's eye.
  #53  
Unread 8th of October, 2003, 16:26
Dirigible's Avatar
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #449
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,813 (0.33 per day)
Lyr

Did she feel it too? Lyr wonders as his head swivel's to follow the young woman out of the taproom. If she did.... Shuddering, Lyr turns back, and realises that Dun is already speaking to the barman.

One female L...Legate... he is almost unable to think the word, it is so loaded with hate and revulsion for him just doens't make sense. What, then? Could she be an elf hiding her true appearence, or a channeler?. With an effort, Lyr drags his eye front again. He lets Dun get on with the bargaining, hoping he can then deal on as good terms for himself.

Last edited by Dirigible; 8th of October, 2003 at 18:03.
  #54  
Unread 8th of October, 2003, 16:53
Berova's Avatar
Berova
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #453
Posts: 212 (0.04 per day)
Dun

Dun casually shifts his body ever so slightly to quickly get a glance at his suddenly silent friend without losing focus on or pausing from his conversation with the bartender.

Last edited by Berova; 9th of October, 2003 at 00:48.
  #55  
Unread 8th of October, 2003, 18:02
Dirigible's Avatar
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #449
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,813 (0.33 per day)
Lyr

Lyr remains, staring somewhat blankly forward, his brow deeply durrowed in nervous concentration, tugging on his earlobe. As he sees Dun shoot him a concerned glance, he manages a wan smile in return.

Last edited by Dirigible; 8th of October, 2003 at 18:06.
  #56  
Unread 9th of October, 2003, 04:02
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.93 per day)
Lyr, Dun

The large man smiles broadly, and spreads his arms, palms up, saying, "Son, have a few ales and every girl in Kingscross will look like that one. I always make sure to have a few before I see my wife."

He grimaces in mock anguish, before grinning once more and waving them forward. The Innkeeper leans on the well-worn counter, arms crossed. His eyes twinkle once more with mischief.

"Accomodations for the festival, eh? Certainly. How many nights will you be needing and do you have any animals that need stabling? And what do you bring for trade?"

Feyd

Delryn merely gives Feyd a glance out of the corner of his eye as the woodsman mentions the Captain. However as Feyd begins to rattle off his inventory, the tailor turns to face him, tapping the side of his cheek with a short, well-calloused finger.

"Hmm, I could use some new needles. How about we make that a deal; the outfit for the needles. Sound square?"

Aleina

Feeling altogether uncomfortable inside the Weary Wanderer, Aleina rapidly makes her way outside. The two men in her way behave like just about every other she's met. They're more than happy to move aside to watch the startling Erenlander move pass.

Outdoors she takes a deep breath trying to figure out exactly what just happened. The boy sent to stable Bombur, only offered her a confused smile at ignoring his presence. Aleina sets off down the street, trying to get a handle on herself.

The feeling itself had been strange, it was a cold spark; it chilled and invigorated her at the same time, much like a plunge in an icy river might. Nervousness and fear walked hand in hand. While the town might let a poor Halfling slave go, the chances of letting a witch leave were slim. Still, the man didn't have the look of a legate, and she hadn't seen one of their magic-sniffing companions.

Once more she spies the people of Kingscross setting up for their festival and it clicks with her. It would be unlikely for a legate to be in town without some orcs, and more importantly, he would've likely put a stop to the celebration, or at least dampened the jubilation. So if not a legate, then who?

The question rolls through her mind while she moves swiftly across the streets until she finds herself outside a building that looks like many of the other ones in Kingscross: weathered with age. Only the humble sign on the sign declaring it as Hahn's Herbs gives the young woman any idea that it's the right place.

Stepping inside Aleina is struck by two things; it's reasonably dark, with the curtains drawn only letting some of the light in, and the odor of years and years of herbs being cut, mashed, and prepared in this house. No one smell dominates the air, instead all combining to create a very heady scent. The impression of age grows with the scent, and she fancies that if the entire house was cleaned out today, the wood itself would still smell like herbs for years afterward.

"Can I help you," a quiet, cultured voice says rather than asks. Aleina turns, her eyes already adjusting to the darker setting, to see a thin man sitting on a stool, behind a table, with a mortar and pestle before him. He moves his eyes to look at her before returning his attention to the task before him, the soft grinding the only noise that can be heard.

Heulwen

Heulwen moves through the woods, outside of town, not entirely certain if her new friends would turn out to be true. Stafford, Feyd, and the woman, the question of whether she can trust all, some, or none of them weighs on her mind as she passes between tall, trees some already bearing leaves exploding with color while fallen ones crunch under her small feet.

She marks the amount of light in the sky and reckons she can pull off both meetings, but not without a bit of effort on her part. She winces at picking points so distant, but there is little to be done now. Certainly she can't march back into town, find Stafford and Feyd and inform them that they need to pick more convenient spots.

Looking back at Kingscross, she can make out the small forms of people moving back and forth, ferrying various objects to the center of town. To the north and south of the town she can spy farmlands, some still ripe with crops, but many either harvested or in the process of it. The shrubs and other underbrush is thicker off to her right.

Crack. A twig snaps nearby, suddenly drawing every ounce of the halfling attention back to where she stood. Freezing in place, her hand grasps the hilt of her sword and her muscles tense.

Snap. She squints, trying to peer at the underbrush, but she can't see whatever's coming.

Crunch. It's getting closer.

Last edited by Cadrius; 9th of October, 2003 at 04:33.
  #57  
Unread 9th of October, 2003, 04:40
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Heulwen

Unable to see the source of the noise, Heulwen's curiosity takes a back seat to her own sense of saftey. Glancing about her quickly, Heulwen looks for a suitable hiding place; one that will hopefully offer her some measure of protection as well as concealment. Spotting one, she moves as quickly and quietly as possible, settling herself out of sight before whatever it is that is making the noise appears.

Once out of sight, her sense of security satisfied, Heulwen's sense of curiosity reasserts itself and tentatively she peeks out of her hiding place, hoping to catch a glimpse of what ever's comming.

Still unable to see it through the undergrowth, Heulwen relies on her other senses, taking a large, but quiet, sniff of the air, hoping to catch the scent of whatever is out there.
  #58  
Unread 9th of October, 2003, 05:00
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.93 per day)
Heulwen

Moving backward, Heulwen ends up eschewing silence for speed, her feet snapping several twigs as crouches behind a fallen tree. Whatever's in the underbrush will have a hard time of finding her. Yet she peeks her head over the top of the tree, scanning the underbrush.

A second before she sees it, she smells it, and the tension runs out of her. A moment later a familiar wolf-like form emerges from the underbrush. It sniffs once before leveling its gaze at Heulwen and loping over to her. Cytaill has returned and he bears a dead rabbit clenched in his teeth.

Dropping it at her feet the wogren makes a sharp but quiet exhale, greeting Heulwen before dipping his head down to be scratched.
  #59  
Unread 9th of October, 2003, 05:05
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,850 (1.76 per day)
Aleina

Her mind churns restlessly as she walks, trying unsuccessfully to rationalize her strange reaction at the inn as nothing more than a lack of food and sleep. It was more than that - she had no idea how she knew but of all people, Aleina had learned to trust her feelings. What it was about that man that disturbed her is no clearer when she finally approaches the herbalist's shop, and she reluctantly lets the matter drop from her mind.

She enters, pausing as her eyes grow accustomed to the dark. The smell of a crushed mish-mash of herbs assaults her senses, making her almost light headed for a moment. When the proprietor addresses her, she turns and smiles at him reservedly. Clasping her hands in front of her, she nods once to his question.

"Perhaps. You are the owner of this place? I am new in town, but I have had some experience harvesting and preparing the herbs of your trade. I thought that while I am in town, I might be able to assist you."
  #60  
Unread 9th of October, 2003, 05:28
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Heulwen & Cytaill

Scratching Cytaill behind the ears, Heulwen mock scolds him. "Don't frighten me like that," she says, laughing as she does so. Her releif that the noise has only been Cytaill is all too apparent in her voice and body language and she does little to hide it.

Looking down at the rabbit at her feet Heulwen chatters on as she continues to scratch Cytaill's ears, "Well it looks like there's decent hunting around here. Have you been enjoying yourself? I'm sure you have. Plenty of game to stalk and chase and no orcs to bother you."

Although she hadn't meant to mention the orcs, the thought of them suddenly rushes across her mind, reminding her of the warning Stafford had given her. Growing suddenly more serious, Heulwen stop scratching Cytaill's ears, causing the wogren to look her in the eyes. When Heulwen next speaks the voice that comes out of her mouth sounds diffrent; more animalistic.

"Cytaill, there is danger coming. A man in the town said that a group of orcs would be comming tommorow. I know it would just be easiest to be off now and avoid them, but there seem to be people here willing to help us. I've already made arrangements to meet with a few of them tonight, and I don't want to just leave potential pack-friends behind. I'm going to meet with them; find out if we really can trust them, and I could use your help. The two meetings are on near oppisite sides of the town and you move much faster than I do. What do you say? Will you help me keep the meetings and watch my back?"

Last edited by Black Plauge; 9th of October, 2003 at 05:54.
  #61  
Unread 9th of October, 2003, 07:16
Berova's Avatar
Berova
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #453
Posts: 212 (0.04 per day)
Dun

Dun returns the bartender's smile with a wink, "Sir, before the night is through, I hope to find more than a few ales myself. As for accommodations for my friend and me, a few nights if you would have it, though even one night will do. But no, no animals to board for my friend or myself."

"As for trade, I have a number of propositions for you, the least of which are a handful of candles and two large burlap sacks for the night ... if wax, wick and burlap is what you fancy ... though perhaps what may serve better might be for me to assist with any pre-festivities work for I have two strong hands and a sturdy back for my father, Dur Abben, has taught me not to fear hard, honest work. However, for room and board for a few nights for the both of us, I certainly can be of even greater service to one such as yourself if you or someone you know would have need for a locksmithy ... or if you would be so inclined, we can work out another arrangement ... for a more far-sighted person such as yourself, I may have a resource to some of the finest of brandy and wines that may make their way to Baden's Bluff from far and wide from time to time."

OOC: Not sure which would better apply here [+5 Profession-Merchant] or [+6 Bluff].

Last edited by Berova; 9th of October, 2003 at 11:26.
  #62  
Unread 9th of October, 2003, 09:55
Swashbuckler's Avatar
Swashbuckler
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #454
Location: Yaaaaaaa! Zombies!
Posts: 104 (0.02 per day)
Feyd

"Hmmm ... 10 needles? These aren't easy to come by, good tailor! How about 5 of them?"

--------------------
OoC: Feyd will continue to barter/haggle with the merchant, and won't go for all 10 needles unless he absolutely has no other choice.
--------------------

Feyd concluded his business with the merchant.

Having secured the clothing in his backpack, he hurried off to the inn, which - being the tallest structure in town - was not hard to find.

Entering, he scans the crowded establishment for that one ray of beauty - the girl who teased him with learning her name. He searched for a few minutes, but could not seem to locate her. Maybe I've arrived ahead of her ... or maybe she went off to get her orcish friends! No, that doesn't seem right. Still ... best to err on the side of caution.

Feyd moved to a table at the inn, hoping that he could get served, and that it would not cost him as much as the clothing had.
__________________
"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge."
- Albert Einstein
  #63  
Unread 9th of October, 2003, 22:22
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.93 per day)
Feyd

"Five? Good sir, this is a finely stiched outfit, made with loving craftsmanship. It might not be good come winter, but your little girl can get a good amount of wear and tear from it. Seven is my offer for such a wonderful garment."

Feyd reluctantly hands over the needles, but upon examining the clothing, the tailor's word seems to be true. It might not fit the halfling perfectly, but it's quite better than her current clothing. Delryn looked to be right, it wouldn't due for the winter but while the days stayed warm and the nights cool, she'd be fine.

Heading into the Weary Wanderer, Feyd passes two men speaking to what looks to be the innkeeper. One of them says something that the man apparently finds funny, as he chuckles and thumps his hand upon the bar.

After a few minutes a plain-looking girl emerges from the kitchen. She looks around, catching sight of Feyd sitting down, she smiles and moves across the relatively empty common room.

"Welcome to the Weary Wanderer," she says, the phrase sounding as if she'd said it a thousand times, "any bills can be settled with Master Holm." She inclines her head, indicating the innkeeper.

"What can I get for you? The kitchen's pretty busy getting ready for the festival but I might be able to sneak something out."


Dun, Lyr

The bartender nods, grinning, "If ales are you pleasure then you've come to the right place. I just tapped a keg from Erenhead, and if all goes well--" he drops his voice a bit, glancing left and right "--I might be able to use what I got off a merchant a few weeks ago. Something special from Sweet Water."

The patrons are thinning out, as more and more go home to rest before the festival. Yet still the kitchen bustles on, oblivious of how many people are actually there.

"Hmm," he says, drumming his fingers along the bar while listening to Dun speak, "well, if the two of you want to stay here I'll need a bit more than some candles and sacks. I could use those to be true, but surely a stay here is worth more than just that.

"The festival itself isn't my charge, you'll want to speak to Lusk about that, although if you help us set up, that might be worth something. And while brandy from Baden's Bluff might be tempting, lad, 'a rabbit in the snare...'" he intones, trailing off.

Aleina

The man looks up, looking to be caught off-guard for a moment, although with the gloom it's difficult to tell. Indeed, how he manages to get his work done in the darkness is a mystery to Aleina.

"You?" he asks, his voice remaining level, with but the slightest tremor of incredulity, "You want to assist me?"

The gentle grinding of the mortar and pestle stop. Resting his hands on the table he gives Aleina a searching look. Before speaking again, this time a trace of bitterness can be heard.

"Haven't you heard? There's a new healer in town, I'm sure he'd love your help."

Heulwen and Cytaill

Heulwen isn't always able to speak with Cytaill. Indeed, it takes quite a bit, to even alter her way of thinking. Ever since she first started speaking with the wogren, Heulwen has broadened her horizons. While she hasn't tried it with others, animals seem to have a much different view of the world.

She knows she can only concentrate hard enough to speak for a short while, and the halfling makes the most of it, speaking quickly. Throughout it Cytaill cocks his head to one side, looking into Heulwen's eyes. With time running out, it is the wogren's turn to speak.

"I do not trust the 'men,'" Cytaill says, although "men" sounds foreign in his mouth, "but I have watched you since you left the forest, I will keep watching you. You--" he's cut off as Heulwen's connection fades, turning Cytaill's words into breaths and growls.

Last edited by Cadrius; 9th of October, 2003 at 23:51.
  #64  
Unread 9th of October, 2003, 22:37
Berova's Avatar
Berova
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #453
Posts: 212 (0.04 per day)
Dun

"Aye, I understand about rabbits, though it's been a few days since ... but we were talk'in 'bout accommodations ... so what's me helping you set up worth to ya? Enough for a room for me friend and me?" Dun glances at his friend and gets a little concerned, he hasn't been the same since that woman brushed by...
  #65  
Unread 10th of October, 2003, 01:04
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Heulwen and Cytaill

The breakdown of the connection between her and Cytaill leaves Heulwen cursing that she had taken so long to say what she did, but there is little that can be done about that now. She could try reestablishing the connection, but she had never had any success with that. Sighing, Heulwen looks into Cytaill's eye's trying to see the rest of the answer she could not understand.

"Oh, well. We'll just have to trust each other, won't we Cytaill?"

"Will you let me ride?" Heulwen asks as she moves to mount bareback, "Will you carry me to where I need to go right now?"
  #66  
Unread 10th of October, 2003, 02:29
Swashbuckler's Avatar
Swashbuckler
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #454
Location: Yaaaaaaa! Zombies!
Posts: 104 (0.02 per day)
Feyd

Thinking on the waitress's words, Feyd figured he should see if she had seen the woman he was searching for, and get himself something to wash the dust from his throat.

"Miss, you can get me just an ale, nothing fancy. And ... I was wondering ... I was supposed to meet a girl here. She's very attractive ... you'd remember her blue eyes. She wore a tan-colored robe of very fine make, and I believe a blue tunic. She would have only been in here within the last hour or so, unless she has not arrived yet. Have you seen anyone like that?"

Feyd leaned a little closer, and added, "also, any idea on what the innkeep is looking for - as far as barter? I have a wide assortment of things, but is there anything - you know - special that he's looking for?"
__________________
"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge."
- Albert Einstein
  #67  
Unread 10th of October, 2003, 22:36
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.93 per day)
Dun and Lyr

The bartender scratches his chin, weighing what's been offered, and nods once, saying, "With the sacks and the candles? I think so. If you'll go put your things in a room and come back down, there'll be enough time to sit and have something to drink before we really get started."

Feyd

"I'll think about that," she says, moving behind the counter, for a few moments.

Feyd lets his eyes wander across the room. Aside from one or two other people, the common room is quite empty. The two men he observed earlier look to have struck a deal of some sort with the innkeeper, he nods and gestures toward Feyd. The woodsman is surprised until a glance over his shoulder sees the stairs behind him.

Returning the serving girl places the mug before Feyd.

"Pretty?" she sniffs, "She might've been in here earlier, getting a room for the festival."

Heulwen and Cytaill

Gingerly, Heulwen climbs onto Cytaill's back and for a moment, she's convinced the wogren is going to hurl her to the ground. Yet he remains still, standing a little too stiffly, while she settles herself. He's likely uncomfortable, as carrying a halfling bareback isn't something he does often.

The moment she's settled, he's off, and Heulwen finds herself clinging to Cytaill for fear of flying off. Perhaps he's being playful, or perhaps he's testing her, or maybe he simply doesn't understand the challenge of riding a wogren bareback.

Arms wrapped around her companion's neck, Heulwen and Cytaill hurtle through the forest.

Last edited by Cadrius; 11th of October, 2003 at 07:16.
  #68  
Unread 11th of October, 2003, 01:28
Berova's Avatar
Berova
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #453
Posts: 212 (0.04 per day)
Dun

Extending his hand as their bargain is struck, "Very well and done! And oh, Dun Abben's me name."

Taking a longer look at Lyr's condition, Dun adds with some concern showing in his voice, "I'll be back down for that drink right quick, as soon as I settle my things and see to my friend here." He then asks the barkeep, "And by the way, who was that woman who has seem to affect my friend so?"

Dun then helps Lyr go up to their room making sure he is alright before he returns with the burlap sacks and candles.

Last edited by Berova; 11th of October, 2003 at 01:34.
  #69  
Unread 11th of October, 2003, 15:54
Dirigible's Avatar
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #449
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,813 (0.33 per day)
Lyr

Dun's hand on his elbow startles Lyr out of his introspection. He foreces all thoughts of the girl out of his mind, and, opening his ears properly for the first time in the conversation, he hurridly pieces together what was said in the last few moments.

Figuring that he can do something to help with setting up the festival grounds, despite being a good handspan shorter than his friend, Lyr goes upstairs with Dun (OOC : Oooo-err!), and stows his pack in their room. He then turns to Dun, and says

"It would be unfair for you to pay the full barter-price for this room... allow me to provide these," he says, producing a handful of good, wax candles. He fervently hopes that neither Dun nor the Innkeeper recognize them as being unhallowed, soaked in unholy water and suitable for Legate rituals.

As the two men head downstairs again, Lyr gives his first genuine smile in what seem like a long time.

"Now, shall we see what the sweat of our brows will earn us?"
  #70  
Unread 12th of October, 2003, 03:01
Berova's Avatar
Berova
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #453
Posts: 212 (0.04 per day)
Dun

Once up in their room, Dun checks on Lyr, "You alright buddy??" With mounting concern he asks, "What's wrong? ... since we saw that woman ... it's like you saw some spirit or somethin' worse."


When Lyr offers the candles for barter, Dun smiles, "Why tis unnecessary of you, but if it would make you feel better, thanks." and accepts them.

Dun pulls out the two burlap sacks he's promised the innkeep and places the candles upon the folded sacks, ready to take the items down, before storing his own gear. Suddenly getting a whiff of something in the room, Dun sniffs the air and says to Lyr, "Hmmm ... curious ... if I hadn't known any better, I would have thought sweet Daisy was in the room."

"Now, shall we see what the sweat of our brows will earn us?"

Dun returns Lyr's smile with one of his own and replies with a gentle nod. "Well, we've been promised an ale fer starters." then he admits, "It's been quite a while since I've had a good one."


[OOC: as long as the candles don't 'look' unusual (i.e. all black for instance or in the shape of Izrador himself ), Dun won't notice]

Last edited by Berova; 12th of October, 2003 at 15:15.
  #71  
Unread 12th of October, 2003, 16:09
Dirigible's Avatar
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #449
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,813 (0.33 per day)
Lyr

"An ale would go down well... my friend" Lyr replies.

As they head down the stairs, Lyr confides in the taller man "That woman... it was almost like I had seen a spirit. Her presence was... strange. Stranger than anything I have felt in a long time." He glances sideways, guardedly "I expect I sound like a fool..."

As they reach the taproom, Lyr approaches the bar and nods to the robust man behind it. "Master Innkeeper. I neglected to introduce myself before... my name is Lyr, and we would be grateful for something to wet our whistles before the festival".
  #72  
Unread 12th of October, 2003, 16:38
Berova's Avatar
Berova
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #453
Posts: 212 (0.04 per day)
Dun

"An ale would go down well... my friend" Lyr replies.

Dun simply nods wholeheartedly.

As they head down the stairs, Lyr confides in the taller man "That woman... it was almost like I had seen a spirit. Her presence was... strange. Stranger than anything I have felt in a long time." He glances sideways, guardedly "I expect I sound like a fool..."

Dun's tone turns a bit more serious, "No, not a fool ... nor do you sound the least bit foolish. In dark times like these, one cannot be too careful..." Dun voice trails off as if he is lost in thought.

"You said it has been a long time since you felt this way before, when have you felt this way before?"



Upon returning to the ground floor, Dun looks around to see if he noticed anyone new had arrived since they went up to their room.

As they reach the taproom, Lyr approaches the bar and nods to the robust man behind it. "Master Innkeeper. I neglected to introduce myself before... my name is Lyr, and we would be grateful for something to wet our whistles before the festival".

In anticipation of the ale promised them, Dun's good spirits return. A wry smile returns to his face as he awaits the barkeep's reply.
  #73  
Unread 12th of October, 2003, 23:15
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.93 per day)
Soradur

Pain. He's still very much in pain. It's an odd sensation for the dwarf, but he recognizes that if he's feeling it, the infection must be getting bad. Yet his options are limited, a wounded dwarf walking into town could only spell trouble. Even if he could get to the healer, who's to say he could get back out again.

Animals have come and gone throughout the afternoon. They each pay him no heed, though, as he sits, leaning against the oak, and trying to conserve his strength. Yet around mid-afternoon he hears the approach of another animal, moving quickly by the sound of it. However, unlike the rest, it stops a short distance away, on the other side of the tree and growls once. It could be a wolf, but Soradur isn't sure. Why a single wolf would be concerned about his presence isn't clear.

There's also another noise, perhaps a second wolf, but he can't quite hear it. Yet a moment later there's a crunch of leaves from where he thinks the wolf to be.

Lyr and Dun

Once downstairs they return to the bar, placing the goods upon the table. The bartender nods once as the introduction is made, and takes Lyr's hand in a firm grip.

"Name's Leiden," he says, "now about that drink."

He pulls two ceramic mugs from below the counter, placing them before Dun and Lyr. A light froth, peeks above the top of each.

"Good ale, I think. From Erenhead."

While Dun and Lyr take pulls from their drinks, Leiden gives the goods an examination. He nods at the sacks and candles given by Dun, but stops when he comes across those donated by Lyr. He picks once up and scratches his chin before lifting a candle from Dun and comparing the two. The difference isn't drastic, but Lyr's candles clearly received some sort of treatment. They're slimmer, and are a slightly different color. Dun's tend to be a typical, dark yellow candle, while those given by Lyr are of a deeper, almost orange hue. Lyr's pulse quickens as he sees Leiden scrutinizing the candles but after a moment more he shrugs and places them within one of the burlap sacks.

"Now, about the work that needs done," he says, turning his attention back to the men, "the kitchen's been going since early this morning, so has everyone else's, but as we've got the biggest one in town, we have the most food. I need a couple of strong backs to help carry that out as well as help me with a few kegs. It'll probably take a couple hours."

Heulwen and Cytaill

After a time, Cytaill's quick pace abruptly slackens. He comes to a complete halt, his head moving back and forth, sniffing. He growls once, not aggressive, but not altogether friendly either. A few moments later Heulwen smells it too, although what it is, she isn't sure.

She'd almost say it was something dead, but it didn't have the same stench. For a moment she fears it's one of the Fell, but again, the smell of death would likely be stronger. A wounded deer, might make this smell.

It is then that she hears it; the faint sound of labored breathing. It isn't loud at all and she might've missed it entirely if things weren't so quiet at the moment. Looking around she thinks it to be coming from the other side of a great oak tree.
  #74  
Unread 13th of October, 2003, 11:48
Samurai
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Member: #464
Posts: 142 (0.03 per day)
Soradur


Soradur mumbles a curse as he pulls himself to his feet, wincing slightly as the sudden motion aggravates the wound in his side. Perhaps the wolf was starving, and had smelled the blood. No time to think about it now.

Soradur realized he needed to conserve his strength as much as possible, for if he was detected inside the village, he had no doubt of the consequences. Quickly turning to the oak tree he had been resting against a moment before, Soradur grips the bark firmly in his callused, blackened hands, and begins to climb upward.
  #75  
Unread 13th of October, 2003, 13:53
Berova's Avatar
Berova
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #453
Posts: 212 (0.04 per day)
Dun

Dun savors the ale while Leiden inspects the goods. He is intrigued by Leiden's scrutiny of the candles but doesn't say anything.

When they are finished with their ale, Dun says to Lyr, "That was refreshing indeed and most generous of Leiden to let us enjoy one before we earn our keep. Well, the sooner we get started, the sooner we can partake in the festivities."
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 07:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren