Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > zachol's Games > Demiourgos

Unread 18th of May, 2010, 09:00
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Empire of Needles

I'm working out exactly what I want to run IRL, so that I can give my players a more exact pitch, and decide what, exactly I should spend all my time working on. I plan to call this game Empire of Needles: it will be full of badass and bee people.

We're going to run one adventure when our current campaign ends--hopefully that will be before the end of the year. If everyone has a good time, we'll extend this to a full-length campaign.

My idea for the first adventure:

Book of Locusts (Levels 1-4)
With its infrastructure crumbling under civil war, the Abeil Empire can no longer feed its populace. Former citizens and slaves alike starve to death, or turn to cannibalism in their desperation. The PCs, however, learn of a way to change this. They plunder an ancient library for some reason, and find a ritual book that can create food and water, with barely any expenditure of components.

But this alone won't end the famine: they need a way to distribute this information across the Empire, while fighting off those greedy enough to steal it, and those evil enough to destroy it.

I have no idea how the group is actually going to distribute the info. I'm actually hoping they think of something so clever that it gives me something awesome to improvise around. I really need to set-up a few hooks, especially in case they're stumped.
Unread 18th of May, 2010, 09:24
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
Hmm. Well something that's pretty easy, if perhaps not something people would normally think of, is Senea. She has a history of capriciously messing with memory and knowledge; something along the lines of "now everyone knows how to create food and water, yay!" would not be unusual for her to do.
Of course, the key word is capricious. This might actually work better as a very cruel red herring, a complete and massive waste of time, as there's pretty much no way to get Senea to do anything.
On the other hand, one of her exarchs or something could be of use. Many of her followers seriously focus on the "memory and knowledge" bits and ignore the "chaos" bits.

Other ways would be more generic. Perhaps coopting some ubiquitous magical object and using some "law of similarity," or creating massive amounts of schemas and a "scatter to the four winds" spell.
Unread 11th of June, 2010, 10:23
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Aw fuck. Looks like no one wants to play in this setting after all. Much as I still want to work out this adventure, it'll probably be shelved forever.

Originally Posted by zachol Hmm. Well something that's pretty easy, if perhaps not something people would normally think of, is Senea. She has a history of capriciously messing with memory and knowledge; something along the lines of "now everyone knows how to create food and water, yay!" would not be unusual for her to do.
Of course, the key word is capricious. This might actually work better as a very cruel red herring, a complete and massive waste of time, as there's pretty much no way to get Senea to do anything.
On the other hand, one of her exarchs or something could be of use. Many of her followers seriously focus on the "memory and knowledge" bits and ignore the "chaos" bits.
I doubt that any level 1 party would seriously ask a deity to do anything, anyways. But establishing worshippers of Senea as an option is definitely a good idea. I'll need a way to keep them involved, though, so that they don't just pass it off to the temple and say "it's your problem now!" Possibly the worshippers don't have the resources to spread the info and stay alive at the same time, for whatever reason.

Originally Posted by zachol Other ways would be more generic. Perhaps coopting some ubiquitous magical object and using some "law of similarity," or creating massive amounts of schemas and a "scatter to the four winds" spell.
No idea what you mean by the first idea. Scattering lots of schemas would make sense, though. Perhaps the temple of Senea is very capable of manufacturing them, but doesn't have the infrastructure to spread the info anymore, so the party needs to find this scattering spell, or think of something else.