Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Wired*Nun's Games > My Enemies Have Sweet Voices...

Unread 30th of July, 2004, 06:26
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

Member: #830
OOC chat thread (Participants only pls)

Just thought I'd start an OOC chat thread, since the chat function doesn't seem to work. Anyone know if that is coming?

I'm starting to get the hang of this, more or less. I can see there is some small difficulty with those who post more often and those who don't. I certainly don't want to push anyone. There will be times I won't be online for a while too. See how it goes.

This is a good place for anything anyone needs to talk about OOC, whether that's about your schedule, complaints for the GM, questions about how things are run, or just whatever.

First, mind giving me a few basics about each of you? Here's me: Air Force, presently stationed at the NATO HQ in Mons, Belgium, 41 years old, married, 3 kids. Been playing games since I was 6, I guess, with chess and Risk. Really started about 12 with other various games an older friend was into. D&D came out that year and soon we were all playing the new craze. Went to my first con in 1977, Pacificon over in San Mateo, CA (grew up in CA). Been going to cons, playing games ever since. Been out of the US so much I really have forgotten what it is like to have a lot of available players. Best gaming I ever did though was at Yokota AB, Japan, which is a very big base (about 14,000 Americans including all the dependents) and the cost of everything was so high, and what with the culture and language barrier, a lot of people stayed on base and did cheap things. I ended up running a fantastic linked series of campaigns in the World of Darkness universe, as well as Amber on the side. Nothing like having 30 people show up for a LARP in what was essentially a small town. I had the LARP and 2 FTF Vampire/Werewolf campaigns linked, and some of the best players ever.

Anyway, been stationed in Germany twice for a total of five years; deployments in Turkey and Italy; Japan for 3 years, and will be Belgium for 3.5 years at the end. I look forward to retiring sometime before I'm 50 and opening a game store of some sort, to keep me busy. I am on my 7th BMW, I have an M5 now, I got it up over 160 MPH (260 kph) on the German autobahn the other day. Briefly. At that speed you get very dead very fast if something happens. Hey, take a risk once in a while!!!. I would like to write, too. I have an Amber story done, but it fits into the campaign so I can't post it yet. It's about 24 pages, not sure of the word count (12 pt single space). It's Lintra's story - "The hellmaid Benedict loved, and later slew." I'll be interested to see what you think. It's my first real attempt.
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 07:03
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #836
Good idea. OOC threads keep the actual rp threads from getting bogged down with random comments.

Me? I'm originally from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. I joined the Army right out of high school with an MOS in Signal. Was stationed at Ft Riley, Kansas, where I stayed for 3 years, until our jerk new commander decided to get rid of a bunch of people. I didn't cry enough, I guess, when I said my legs hurt and that was why I couldn't run the 2 miles in the time limit given, so was honorably discharged a year early. I felt a bit vindicated when the Veterens Administration figured I had some very minor disability money coming, and vindicated again when the jerk lost his commision later (I told him once his attitude and choice phrases would get him in trouble...but why should the Captain listen to a lowly PFC?).

I stayed in Kansas to attend Kansas State University, where I'm majoring in English, going for teaching certification. I had to take some time off because they wouldn't consider me a resident for awhile (nevermind I've been in the state since 1999), then I was working, but I am finally going back this fall. I have a boyfriend, we room with another couple who are the parents of the infamous Super Sneaky Ninja Baby, who's 3 days younger than my own nephew, back in PA. When I grow up I want to be a writer, and am currently collaborating on a project with a few friends. The only Amber fiction I have is the prelude/backstory for my Gaming Guardians Forum character, Karina, a daughter of Benedict. I'd have to type it all out again though...
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 07:20
Shutter
Effigy

Member: #840
Well, let's see. I grew up in the northwestern US. Then I spent a few years going to college in Arizona. After graduation I came back up to the northwest to go to grad school in physics at the University of Washington. On the side I gained a fair amount of expertise in martial arts along with the attendant concussion and busted up knee. the knee got surgery and the concusion got better but I don't fight for sport or money any more, which is probably all for the best. I live with my fiancee and our tailless cat....life is good....I've been gaming in theory since middle school, but in practice only for the last 10 months or so. I tried running a few campaigns D&D, RIFTS, Shadowrun, Amber etc... but they never got off the ground, largely because I could never find any roleplayers who would take it seriously enough for my tastes....let's see....yep, I think those are the key points on me. See you all around.
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 07:23
Wired*Nun

I may have asked this before, LynMars, but what's your name, at least a first name? I think I understood that Lynell Marsden is a pseudonym? Mine's Dave, if you haven't picked that up from the House Rules.
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 07:27
Wired*Nun

Shutter, I know where you're coming from. I was heavily into the art for about seven years in my teens and twenties, got pretty good, enough to feel confident in myself, which is what it's about I think. I tried picking it back up again recently, found out that hard striking styles are not for me since I seem to keep striking the floor a lot. Get old quick, I guess. I think Zelazny did Aikido until he died, maybe I should look into that, no blows.

I also find it difficult to find relaiable roleplayers who also have the seriousness and skills to make it worthwhile. I kind of started this PBP as a last resort. I kept thinking it would be kind of stale, but I am not finding it that way at all.
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 07:34
Wired*Nun

Oh, for the record:

Joss/Knarr/Michael,

Roland/Shutter/Conor,

Siodmak/Wolfkhaffen/Andrew

Raevyn/LynMars/Alicia

TheMultiverse/Wired*Nun/Dave

Anyone know what the + after the name of a "currently active user" means?

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 30th of July, 2004 at 07:37.
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 07:35
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

First name is Alicia, pronounced Uh-lee-sha. I guess that's about approximate. Like Alicia Keyes. There are so many ways to pronounce it; my French teacher never got it right. It's gotten shortened down to Lici, and many permutations thereof, mostly by very young children (like the Ninja baby, who we think refers to me as She-She).

I started gaming while at Ft Gordon, during Signal School; my first game ever was White Wolf's Werewolf: The Apocalypse. I've played DnD, RIFTS, Shadowrun, BESM, just about anything by White Wolf (was on a demo team for them for a time, mainly for the now-defunct UniCon in Joplin, MO), L5R...I've played and run 7th Sea and Amber and several WOD games. I've been online rping for about 2 years now.
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 07:44
Shutter
Effigy

Heh. That's my fiancee's name too.
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 07:45
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

When I was kid, no one had the same name as me, it seemed. Now it's everywhere!
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 07:46
Shutter
Effigy

She says the same thing.
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 21:45
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
First things first: sorry for posting in your OOC. It's generally considered bad form for those not in the game to do so, but you don't have a visitor's thread so . . .

Second: Good call on creating an OOC thread. Things read so much more smoothly in the game threads if OOC comments aren't scattered throughout. Speaking of which, I notice you are posting threads for each location as opposed to a chapter format. Stuff like that is personal preference of course, but as a reader, things are alot easier to follow when you can figure out what order to read things in. Just a thought.

Third: I've been reading along and I think you all have been doing a very good job at creating an "Amberesque" feeling with your character actions and dialogue.

And finally:
ď Anyone know what the + after the name of a "currently active user" means? Ē
It means that user is on your "Buddy List". On the old version of the boards, those users would appear in your User Control Panel if they were on-line. That seems to have gone away when we migrated. The only real use I can find for the Buddy list is private messages: if you open up your buddy list (from Quick Links), it will let you check off a number of buddies to send a PM to.

Last edited by Gralhruk; 30th of July, 2004 at 21:50.
Unread 31st of July, 2004, 00:48
Knarr
Zombie

Member: #841
Write a bio? Eek! Ok, Here goes-

Michael
Age-39

Born in Alaska, raised deep south- have lived in Alaska (twice), Florida, Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, West Virginia, Delaware, Washington State, Iwakuni Japan (I am in the Marine Corps by now), All over the far east, Back to Washington State, And have settled in Idaho. The only state I havenít been to is Hawaii. (Canít get there by car.)

Been gaming since I was 13 and pretty much tried all the gaming systems. Favorites have been D&D, Morrow Project, Amber and Cyberpunk. Went to a lot of Cons. When I got out of the Corps, worked on video games and pinball machines and married a woman who had just started a bookstore. Sold a lot of books and traveled to more Cons selling books. Had a daughter (Who is now 12) and brought her to work with me.

Closed the stores (competition with on-line and Barnes and Noble- Times change), but still sell books to schools (wife- high school teacher) and friends.

For the last 7 years have been home schooling my daughter and building a Monolithic dome house. Did all the work myself except for the concrete work on the dome.

Iím into alternative building, black powder guns and mountain man stuff, gaming, Chinese junks (no, I donít know why), and general living. Now Iím pretty much a househusband (yes, I do all the cooking- Had to, couldnít find anyone to make gumbo, jambalaya, pancit, or red meat and rice) living three miles from my mailbox in the middle of nowhere. I like it. I can fire my guns and good hunting and trapping abounds. (The only thing about firing guns in Idaho is, occasionally you get answering fire. This is the only state I know of that actually had to make explosive arrows illegal. I love this place.
Unread 31st of July, 2004, 02:43
Wolkhaffen
Zombie

Member: #842
Andrew
Age-44

Born in Virginia, raised in Maryland - have lived in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Okinawa, Japan, Italy, Germany (I was in the Navy) and currently reside in Washington (though I have plans to move), I have been on every ocean but the artic and have visited France, Spain, Israel, Egypt, Canada (east and west coasts Ė they are very different, culturally), Mexico, Trinidad and Tobago (two islands, one country), Dominican Republic, Thailand, Philippines, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, China, and Turkey. I donít think Iíve left anyplace out. I have visited District of Columbia and United Nations.

I was active in a support role during the Bosnian conflict and fought in the Persian Gulf War.

I started gaming when D&D was released in the box set with three pamphlets. I have played and enjoyed more systems than I can name. I will say I especially enjoy dice-less play. Give me a Storyguide that is creative over one who needs the crutch of dice any day. I use gaming to keep my brain active and enjoy creative writing. I, too, have been to many cons.

Upon retirement I became a kept man. It started out as a sex thing, but then my wife got pregnant. Now I am a Mr. Mom for my two year old daughter, Fiona Bronwyn.

Aside from gaming I enjoy reading, art, music, and being a father and husband.
Unread 31st of July, 2004, 03:46
Wired*Nun

ď Originally Posted by Gralhruk First things first: sorry for posting in your OOC. It's generally considered bad form for those not in the game to do so, but you don't have a visitor's thread so . . .

Second: Good call on creating an OOC thread. Things read so much more smoothly in the game threads if OOC comments aren't scattered throughout. Speaking of which, I notice you are posting threads for each location as opposed to a chapter format. Stuff like that is personal preference of course, but as a reader, things are alot easier to follow when you can figure out what order to read things in. Just a thought.

Third: I've been reading along and I think you all have been doing a very good job at creating an "Amberesque" feeling with your character actions and dialogue.

And finally:

It means that user is on your "Buddy List". On the old version of the boards, those users would appear in your User Control Panel if they were on-line. That seems to have gone away when we migrated. The only real use I can find for the Buddy list is private messages: if you open up your buddy list (from Quick Links), it will let you check off a number of buddies to send a PM to.
Ē
No problem, we're all learning (well, at least I am) and not easily offended.

As far as the format, I've looked at both, but the chapter format seems to work much better for those games where theyre is a "party" or "team" that is always together. Amber isn't usually like that. I think we'll try this for now, and see how it goes.

Thanks for the kudos. Cya.
Unread 31st of July, 2004, 03:57
Wired*Nun

Thanks, guys, that helps me. I am used to getting to know my players as people as well - have barbecues as well as games, etc. This is different, but that's OK too. Makes me realize how much I am giving up by being overseas, but I get a lot of unique experiences too.

So Michael, how do you get internet if you are three miles from your mailbox? You on dialup, or is it just that you go in to town to pick up your snailmail? I like the lifestyle you describe, except for the building thing. I don't mind some manual labor now and again, but I confess I get bored easily. Strangely enough, I find backpacking not boring at all, and yet it resembles manual labor on the move. Maybe it's because the view keeps changing, and I like the feeling of self-reliance. Idaho is actually one of my top choices for retirement ideas. Somewhere in the pacific northwest anyway.

Anyone been to actual Amber-cons? Much as I love Amber, I have never managed to make it to one. Perhaps its because I have never liked roleplaying in a con setting. Kind of like preferring novels over short stories, I love campaigns. Con scenarios are usually too short and you spend half the time getting ready instead of playing in my experience. Unless, of course, you do nothing but one 3-day game, but I also like wargames and things, so anyway, cons have not been my preferred RPG venue.
Unread 31st of July, 2004, 05:09
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

*reads along with the Great Hall thread*

*Snerks at Siodmak's want for "company"*

Well, Dave did say he wanted more Amber-like conversation...

Ever notice that for all their knowledge and power, Amberites really do have one track minds...like the Greek pantheon, only a bit less flashy, but just as screwy...

Anyway...never made it to an Ambercon, no; didn't even know they existed until a few years ago. I don't think I'd mind going at least once. While I also prefer campaigns, a con every now and then is an interesting change-up, and you can meet some neat people; we still communicate with a few people we met at UniCon (which should definately have had some Amber stuff going on!).

I'd love to live somewhere where there's not a lot of people; one of the other big reasons I've stayed in Kansas (besides education and my boyfriend of 4 years) is that it's much less crowded than my former home now is...everytime I go back to visit, something else has been changed or a new building put up. Not enough room; I like the fact that I can wander away a bit and see nothing but rolling prairie, nothing man made in sight.
Unread 31st of July, 2004, 05:24
Wired*Nun

Well, sex, power, money, love, jealousy, hatred, curiosity, fear, there are most of the motivations for most characters. Most people for that matter. Not surprising, considering the male biological imperative, that men of power are usually men obtaining sex. Sometimes it's the stamp of conquest, or amusement, or validation. Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

Actually, I find it odd that Amberites are NOT bedding around even more. No STD worries, most have a personal rather than a societal morality, few repercussions if you keep it to shadow - as long as you pay attention to progeny. Always the crone with a twig option. Still, they seem to regard certain sins as important, others, as just good fun.

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 31st of July, 2004 at 18:22.
Unread 31st of July, 2004, 07:55
Knarr
Zombie

Member: #841
My mailbox is for snail mail. I have a phone line so I have internet. (cost four grand to bring it up, but I save on cell phone.) I even have power with a generator back-up. Living away from people is pretty cool, but you have to know how to do for yourself.
Idaho is great as long as you stay in the north. Winters can be hard though. Washington and Oregon have to many laws and taxes for me to live there. In Idaho, people leave you alone for the most part. There are some crazy people though.
Unread 31st of July, 2004, 09:14
Wolkhaffen
Zombie

Snerks! Snerks! Why I aught to...
Unread 31st of July, 2004, 09:19
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

I am a silly, silly girl...

Aught to what? Better back that up with somethin'...
Unread 31st of July, 2004, 09:24
Wolkhaffen
Zombie

If only I had a Trump.
Unread 2nd of August, 2004, 04:13
Icebird
Bodak

Member: #731
I'm a bit slow on all this- my charicter will probably be joining you guys a bit later (not too long, hopefully). As for about me, I feel so young all of a sudden. I turned 16 this summer, so there isn't really all that much that I've done. I'm from Colorado, and I've been playing Dnd for a few years, but just discovered the Amber books, and the game soon after I finished reading them.
Unread 2nd of August, 2004, 04:21
Wolkhaffen
Zombie

Welcome, Icebird.

Age has nothing to do with creativity.

Besides we need somebody we can squish like a bug
Unread 2nd of August, 2004, 06:17
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

And here I was thinking Shutter and I were the young-uns...Join in whenever you can, Icebird; I still haven't met the rest of the party IC! hoping to fix that soon...maybe...
Unread 2nd of August, 2004, 07:04
Shutter
Effigy

Welcome! My forum gaming experience has taught me that age is a nigh worthless variable when it comes to predicting maturity. You've just had less time to absorb trivia : )