Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Kahluah's Games > The Old Freeport

 
Thread Tools
  #101  
Unread 8th of March, 2002, 22:42
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Cadrius: From what you gather from those that talk to you, 6 years ago, Lucius was fine one day and then the next, it seemed he was a totally different person. During the times between this moment and being expelled from the temple, he started reading every single piece of lore he could lay his hands on.

Starting with the public gallery and working his way up each level methodically. It seemed like he was trying to absorb everything he could learn from the books and scrolls of the library.

However, when questioning them on why he was expelled, you only get vague answers, as if the clerics, librarians and acolytes were embarrased to relive such moments. The predominant answer is "He delved into lore he should not have read from." with "He shouldn't have gone into the sanctum." being another fairly popular one.

Then, a year ago, he came back and seemed like he was back to his former self, albeit more penitant. Recently, he'd been coming to work tired, as if he'd had an hour or so sleep at most. He'd miss days because of stress and sickness. Most people Cadrius talks to aren't worried about Lucius, saying "He's probably ill at home" or jokingly saying "Maybe he's left again".


Lee: You ask the acolyte, who points you to a desk with a stair-ladder behind it. An acolyte sits behind the desk and smiles, advising you that there is a mandatory 2 gelder donation to have access to the public gallery, which is situated as a shelf lined balcony that lines the edge of the second floor (the worship atrium is the first floor).

Delora: The hallways that you find have doorways leading to dormatory style rooms. This is where many of the clerics and some librarians make the abodes. A wandering cleric approaches you and kindly advises you that this is out of bounds to the public. There is no malice or anger in his voice, though he does escort you back out to the worshippers atrium.
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.
  #102  
Unread 9th of March, 2002, 00:44
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.95 per day)
Cadrius sighs after speaking to all of the priests and acolytes. He hadn't found much information. However there was a mention of a "sanctum" and this piques some curiosity in the rogue.

Hmm, he had a home near here, but I wonder if he had and quarters within the temple? I'm not getting anywhere here. It's time to tap a keg of Cadrius Charm.

With that he searches for the nearest female acolyte to speak with. Once he finds one he casually strolls up to her with a smile upon his face.

"Excuse me, fair one, but I've a few questions. Maybe you could help? Well, first of all, what's a gorgeous woman like you doing here? Shouldn't you be a priestess of Myhriss?"

((OOC: Diplomacy +4. Woo! Go diplomacy!))

The rogue continues to make small talk with the follower of Boccob for a while before attempting to learn anything new.

"So, I've heard a lot of talk about some fellow named Lucius. What's his story?"

Ah, good job Caddy. If ya can't beat 'em, charm 'em.

Last edited by Cadrius; 9th of March, 2002 at 01:55.
  #103  
Unread 9th of March, 2002, 12:13
Cadogan Trahem's Avatar
Cadogan Trahem
Ghostly Sage

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #4
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,857 (0.31 per day)
Lee pays the man, before being allowed to head up to the shelves of books and begins to search for anything that would have information on Strange Diseases, both Normal and Magical, and cures. Looking for a disease or diseases that has the same symptoms as those found in the Diary.

- can you post a recap on the new terms for monies please?-

Last edited by Cadogan Trahem; 9th of March, 2002 at 12:15.
  #104  
Unread 9th of March, 2002, 22:41
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Lee: Searching through the books to do with diseases, you find nothing with all of the symptoms that Lucius was described as having.

However, in reading through one tome on extra-planar legend and myth, you read one very little exerpt that may help shed some light on Lucius' earlier condition.

"...and sometimes, these 'body-wurms', will take over a host creature, displacing their conscious to another plane. They then travel through-out the realm for up to 5 years, though some have been known to travel for up to 8 years, learning as much as they can, before travelling back to their native plane. At this stage, the host creature's conscious is returned in tact, except for the fact they cannot remember anything that happened in the time their conscious was displaced."


Cadrius: The girls face turns a bright shade of pink and she shakes her head. After the small bout of small-talk, she thinks for a moment.

"Lucius.. ahh yes. The librarian. I'm only recent here at the temple, but from what I know, is he's been asking all sorts of wierd questions about, well, himself. What he did, what he'd said, why he was evicted from the temple. Strange questions. As if he didn't know the answer to his own past.. Even asked me about himself. Told him I didn't know anything, as I have only been here about a year and a little bit.

"Recently he's been coming to work looking really tired, with black bags under his eyes. He'd stay here for hours, reading through his travel logs and other things, then go home, only to come back again looking like he'd had troubles sleeping. Other than that, I don't really know."
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.
  #105  
Unread 9th of March, 2002, 23:19
Cadogan Trahem's Avatar
Cadogan Trahem
Ghostly Sage

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #4
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,857 (0.31 per day)
Lee takes the book, as well as a few random ones and heads towards the desk where he was greeted. Addressing the man with a smile.

"Am I allowed to borrow these books? Only for a day at most, im a fast reader, I would be willing to leave a deposit if you dont trust me to return them in mint condition of course."
  #106  
Unread 9th of March, 2002, 23:39
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
The cleric looks up and spies the bard with some books under his arm. Frowning slightly, he lets the bard ask his question without interruption.

"We dinnae make it a habit to lend our texts about, but I suppose we can allow you to borrow two of those texts for 5 gelders (gold pieces) deposit each. You will of course get some or all of your deposit back, depending on the condition they come back. I would like them returned promptly by midday tomorrow."
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.
  #107  
Unread 10th of March, 2002, 06:37
Bronze Unicorn's Avatar
Bronze Unicorn
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #27
Posts: 107 (0.02 per day)
Delora turns to the cleric escorting her back.

"I am looking for Lucius's room. I was told he had a room here."

She smiles and bats her eyes. Turn on the charm, Del...
  #108  
Unread 10th of March, 2002, 11:28
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
The cleric looks at Delora and smiles, shaking his head. "I'm afraid to let you know that whoever it was that told you that Lucius had a room here was mistaken. Lucius lives in Drac's End, not here at the temple."
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.
  #109  
Unread 10th of March, 2002, 16:12
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.95 per day)
"Oh that's terrible," Cadrius says to the young woman, "I can't imagine not getting sleep," he pauses and looks her right in the eye, "well actually I can...but for different reasons," he winks as her blush deepens.

"This fellow Lucius really has intrigued me, I heard some acolyte say he delved into the Sanctum, or some such. Learning things he shouldn't know. Do you know what that means?"

He smiles his devilish smile and stands with his head tilted to one side, eagerly awaiting her response.
  #110  
Unread 10th of March, 2002, 19:04
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
At the question of the sanctum, het tone of voice quietens as she nods, looking around her nervously.

"Oh..aye. There are books in the sanctum. Holy books that are believed to have been penned by Boccob himself. No-one save Thruon is allowed to read them. I suppose that would have been evicted all that time ago. I don't think he'd have gone back in there this time though..." She speaks, her voice continuing in a hushed tone.
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.
  #111  
Unread 11th of March, 2002, 13:27
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.95 per day)
"Most fascinating my dear, those must be incredible books indeed. I'm amazed anyone could read them if they were written by Boccob himself," he winces apparently shocked by the very thought of attempting to read such a thing.

Although I bet there'd be some neat stuff in there, I wonder if I could get in...no Caddy. No way you could ever get yourself in there. Even if you did, do you want to go mad like Lucius did?

"Travel logs you say? Really, you know the more we speak of him the more intrigued I become. I'd really like to know more about this fellow and where he is. Does he still come here? Are his logs still in the library?"
  #112  
Unread 11th of March, 2002, 14:49
Bronze Unicorn's Avatar
Bronze Unicorn
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #27
Posts: 107 (0.02 per day)
Delora looks downcast. "I have been told he studied the nature of magic itself... I wished to see if he could... teach me. Was that untrue as well?" She gives him a small, sideways smile. "I'm very curious about... magic."
  #113  
Unread 11th of March, 2002, 16:29
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Cadrius: "He works here, so there is little reason as to why he shouldn't come here. As for his travel logs, I don't think they are here. He'd take them home of an evening, presumably to study them in the peace and quiet of his own home.."

Delora: "As a librarian here, I would think he'd study all things, magic, lore, myth, maps, etcetera. I am not sure what his field of expertise was though.. It may have been history, but I can't remember. It has been a while since I've had a good long chat to him.."
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.
  #114  
Unread 11th of March, 2002, 21:04
Skreem's Avatar
Skreem
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #21
Location: California
Posts: 230 (0.04 per day)
Leaving their discussion with Milos, Darbin watches as the others scatter to various areas of the building.

A helpful acolyte approaches and acts if he can assist Darbin with anything, to which Darbin responds, "Hmmm huh? Oh, sorry, I'm just in awe of the symbolism in the design of this building. Not to mention the architecture. Perhaps you can help me afterall! Who would know the originator of the plans for this building? Perhaps an historian to speak to on it's significance to this city? Has it ever been damaged?"
  #115  
Unread 14th of March, 2002, 04:03
Eighteez's Avatar
Eighteez
Zombie

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #11
Location: Altoona IA, USA
Posts: 93 (0.02 per day)
"Ahhh Yes, extraordinary craftsmanship!"

Drumish also roams around the greatroom. As the others have gone off in search of clues.

"Darbin, perhaps we should quench our thirst after our visit to the temple?"

((OOC - sorry about the absence. I'm back.))
  #116  
Unread 14th of March, 2002, 12:36
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Darbin: "I am not sure about who the plan-maker of the temple is, but I am fairly sure he has passed on well and truly by now. I do know that it has stood for a few years shy of a century, during the time of prosperity that Freeport ounted under Anton Drac's rule. I don't believe it has suffered any real damage, save any minor repairs that have needed to be done due to general wear and tear."

Next major DM update will occur on Saturday, March 16th, at around 0400 GMT.
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.

Last edited by Kahluah; 14th of March, 2002 at 12:38.
  #117  
Unread 14th of March, 2002, 13:14
Cadogan Trahem's Avatar
Cadogan Trahem
Ghostly Sage

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #4
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,857 (0.31 per day)
Lee waits near the front door for the others to finish their business, holding the books he has borrowed tightly under one arm. Content that he has gotten what he had came for and more.
  #118  
Unread 14th of March, 2002, 14:36
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.95 per day)
Smiling he says, "Ah yes, I suppose I shall have to speak with him sometime." With that he bids the young lady adieu and walks back out toward the entrance, a bit displeased with what he learned.

Sighing he thinks, I certainly hope the others found out someting otherwise we're at yet another dead end.
  #119  
Unread 15th of March, 2002, 06:46
Eighteez's Avatar
Eighteez
Zombie

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #11
Location: Altoona IA, USA
Posts: 93 (0.02 per day)
"Ahhh Lee! You are back. Did you find any useful information about our friend Lucius? Darbin and I are ready to look for more clues at the local tavern!"
  #120  
Unread 15th of March, 2002, 08:28
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.95 per day)
Sighing Cadrius comes around the corner only to find the dwarves and Lee already back.

"I hope you found some interesting information," noting the books under Lee's arm, "indeed you may have. I've come away with little, but we can discuss that back at the inn. Does anyone know where Delora is?"

Damnit Caddy! He's outdone you again! You can't let this keep happening. It simply isn't good for your self-esteem.
  #121  
Unread 16th of March, 2002, 17:37
Cadogan Trahem's Avatar
Cadogan Trahem
Ghostly Sage

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #4
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,857 (0.31 per day)
Lee nods to Cadrius and whispers.

"I have but a little myself, but it should shed some light on the subject at hand, we should wait untill we are back at the Inn. And no, unfortunately, I dont know where Delora is."
  #122  
Unread 16th of March, 2002, 20:36
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
((OOC: Am sorry if I've taken too many liberties with this particular post, but I feel it neccesary to keep the game moving forward.))

A couple of hours after starting at the temple to Boccob, and feeling little-more-the-wiser about what has happened to Lucius, you feel that taking a stroll around Freeport may be the best answer to clear your heads. After visiting a tavern or two with the dwarves and having lunch somewhere, you look out of a window to see that yet a couple more hours have passed, and that the sun is well into its, though it is still light enough for you to see.

It takes you a short while, but you finally find the main street that Millie had taken you on earlier to get back to the tavern. Both Delora and Drumish think that they see someone tailing the group, but when they turn to ascertain who, the person is gone.

With the sky growing redder by the moment and the thought of a hot meal and maybe a stiff drink rumbling through your minds, you are nearly back at the Scholars Quill when you hear a yell come from an alley way up ahead, accompanied by the unmistakeable thwack of a crossbow discharging, as the bolt flies through the air, you see a group of warriors, four of them carrying yellow shields burst out from nearby alleys with swords drawn.

Link: Alleyway Mercenaries.

Surprise round

The attack commences with a yell from an alleyway up ahead. "Get them!!" are the only two words that are spoken, but there is much violence contained within the tone of the yell.

It is then that you see the first attacker, a man (M2 on the map), dressed in normal clothes, come up from behind the group. He stares intently at Drumish, before waving his hands in an arcane gesture, his hand glowing an eerie green color, before coalecing into an incorporeal glob of light. He then punches his hand out, sending the glob sailing towards the cleric. Drumish feels a cold clawed hand trying to envelop his mind in fear, but his willpower manages to shake it off.

Then you see a second man (M1) approaching, a yellow shield on his left arm and a battle axe in his right hand.

After this man approaches, you hear the thwack of the crossbow discharging, and the rogue feels the offending bolt slam into his left shoulder, taking him well unaware of the attack (Cadrius takes 3 points of damage). As well as the crossbow attack, another man joins the enemy magic user, wielding a shortword and carrying a yellow shield, whilst two of similar armory come up behind the battleaxe wielding mercenary. All of the armed men are wearing leather armor with brass rivets poking out of it.

Round 1
Initiative:
24 Cadrius
19 Drumish
18 Mercenary 2
14 Delora
12 Lee
11 Mercenary 1
10 Darbin
6 Mercenaries 3, 4, 5, and 6

((OOC: If you don't remember how the combat posting goes, it is you post on your initiative turn with your actions, first IC in descriptive language, and then in OOC format as tactical movement. I will attempt to answer each of your movements as quickly as possible to keep the game flowing smoothly. Also, just an aside that has been pointed out to me earlier, the term 'Mercenary' is correct as an OOC knowledge, but I trust you all enough to think of them as organised thugs until you find out otherwise. Happy hunting people.))
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.

Last edited by Kahluah; 16th of March, 2002 at 23:41.
  #123  
Unread 17th of March, 2002, 03:31
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.95 per day)
((OOC: Woo hoo! Some action!))

Wincing in pain at the protruding bolt Cadrius mutters, "Why can't it ever be a fair fight? Why the surprise? Why do they always have to out number us?"

Friends you should talk to the last thugs that attempted to harm us...oh no wait, I don't think you'll be able to unless you can speak with the dead. Leave us now, or suffer the consequences."

With that his hand flies to the hilt of his epee and draws it out with a flash of steel. The small amount of sunlight in the alley dances upon the blade and is scattered in little shards around him. His dark eyes narrow at the offending brigands and he makes one motion with his hand, signaling for the three to come and get him.

((OOC: Let's see, drawing sword as move equivalent action, and bluffing to try and make them waiver...or something. Old Caddy is gonna need some backup here.

Assign dodge bonus to the nearest mercenary.

Bluff +4))
  #124  
Unread 17th of March, 2002, 11:17
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Drumish's Action

((DM note: This was emailed to me in case Eighteez couldn't post it himself.))


Drumish's eyes go wide as the magical attack fails. Pulling out his mace he grins a wide toothy grin.

"With the strength of Moradin, I shall teach you a lesson!" he mumbles quietly to himself. And charges forth. Mace raised above his head!

((OOC - Drumsih charges M2. +2 to attack, and -2 to AC. He can charge 30'. By my estimates M2 is 15' away.))
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.
  #125  
Unread 17th of March, 2002, 12:04
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Cadrius attempts a parley of bravado towards the battle-axe wielding man, but unless the desired effect was for the man to die from laughter, it was at a pure loss.

Drumish, on the other hand, takes on a more direct approach, charging headlong towards the magic user. The mercenary on the other side of the alley to the mage (M3) watches this and takes a swing at the charging cleric, managing only to make a glancing slice at his arm (Drumish takes 2 points of damage).

However, this does not faze Drumish as he makes his dash towards the mage. Swinging the mace with the force of momentum behind him, the mace lands a telling blow across the mage's upper torso, and the sickening crack of ribs shattering can be heard. The man coughs, a red spray of spittle erupting from his mouth, though he doesn't stagger or fall from the blow.

The man with the battle-axe (M1) chuckles deeply, shaking his head as he grins evilly. "Oh, child. You show bravado and yet it will be to your demise. You have been delving far too deeply into matters that concern you not, and we have been hired to extract the price.."

With that promise of violence, the man steps forward, closing the ten foot gap between he and the rogue easily. He swings the battleaxe almost nonchalantly, but Cadrius jumps back slightly, allowing the axe to miss with the barest of margins. Though this only seems to ire the man.

((OOC: Cadrius, I've put your dodge bonus onto M1 as he is now your closest foe. Delora and Lee, it is your go now in that order.))
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 10:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren