Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > -J-'s Games > Champions

Unread 14th of April, 2010, 21:57
-J-
Dread Lord on High [Epic GM]

Member: #1006
You have lots of beach gear, a couple of computers, phones, suntan oil, stuff like that.
Unread 14th of April, 2010, 23:06
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #15
Well we'll want to bring plenty of suntan oil, I'm sure.
Unread 14th of April, 2010, 23:56
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
Originally Posted by Hardball # Oh, and in other news, Joss Whedon is set to direct The Avengers. Hollywood, I accept your apology for the Wonder Woman clusterfuck.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/marv...-the-avengers/
I look forward to a load of characters dying in the last 45 minutes of the movie.
Unread 15th of April, 2010, 07:20
Reinstadler
Bodak

Member: #1062
Bring a towel.
Unread 16th of April, 2010, 07:09
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

OK, I told myself that I was going to get something posted today. And so I did.
Unread 16th of April, 2010, 08:56
Hardball
Vampire Spawn

Member: #2500
I had to chime in. I also couldn't resist echoing Hodge's last post with my last line.
Unread 16th of April, 2010, 12:31
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Excellent.
Unread 16th of April, 2010, 21:55
-J-

Very nice
Unread 21st of April, 2010, 01:20
-J-

i don't think it shows when i put things in the foundry so here ya go

I updated the foundry
Unread 5th of May, 2010, 23:45
-J-

What do you guys think about using the Foundry? To me it seems less useful than gdocs (not that i want to go back to them) - it seems that they would best be used for crafting intertwined dialogue (I can merge multiple smaller posts together into one and then post the larger combined post - sort of what we did with the gdocs)
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 00:53
Hardball
Vampire Spawn

At first, I didn't understand why we needed a Foundry (or a gDoc for that matter). It seemed like we were using either of those formats as a space for dress rehearsals. It felt redundant.

After our OoC discussion about material components (in the Eberron OoC thread for its Foundry), I changed my mind somewhat. As we worked out our thoughts on material components, and as I went back and changed my post, I began to see the potential for the Foundry to be a safe place to declare "do-overs" in case we need to revise stuff. This particular do-over was minor, but it could also work for more major re-thinkings. For example, we're all pretty hesitant to want to run anyone else's characters in our posts. This is understandable, because we don't want to speak for someone else's character, and we don't want to get them wrong. But it also slows us down. I see the potential for the Foundry to be a safe place to take that risk, because if we get it wrong, it can always be changed. It *is* a sort of dress rehearsal. It's not canon until it's posted. It doesn't officially "count" until it's in the IC thread.

So in conclusion, it still feels a little redundant to me. I'm not exactly sure why we need to run the thread in an unofficial spot and then move it when it's polished. I'm not entirely sure why we can't just keep it in the regular IC thread and make changes as necessary. However, as long as I can think of it in the terms I just mentioned above, it makes a little more sense to me.

I'm still not sure if I like it or not. It still somewhat seems like an extra step. On the other hand, I kind of like the idea of having a space for dress rehearsals. Just because none of the other boards do it doesn't make it weird. There's a part of me that likes the rethinking of the PbP process.

Last edited by Hardball; 6th of May, 2010 at 00:57.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 00:58
-J-

I like the idea of a dress rehersal - I think what i'd like to see is the foundry used as a spot for more of a group world building. a place where you can throw out/ test drive a plot twist (for either your character or other characters) and have it come up for "peer review" (for lack of a better term)
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 00:59
Hardball
Vampire Spawn

If we're doing team building exercises, can we have a Trust Fall?
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 01:17
-J-

only if it involves angst filled abysses of soul crushing despair
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 07:42
Reinstadler
Bodak

Member: #1062
I'm for group world building. I also like dress rehearsals. I don't find the Foundry currently working for me in either of those ways. The gdocs worked for me to blend posts together better and try out ideas and questions that didn't need to be expressed as publicly in other words I felt freer to post there. The Foundry has been essentially an extra step for me.

So I propose given the difficulty with the gdocs and my personal tastes that we write into the main line of the story and ask questions or jointly world build in the OOC thread. It seems to me that what I need is to feel freer to ask those questions about world and story in OOC and write my response in IC.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 07:49
-J-

That too sounds good - although its simplicity may violate the Paco Prime Directive of complication.

Last edited by -J-; 6th of May, 2010 at 07:53.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 09:22
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

I like posting directly in IC. It has its drawbacks, but there are fewer for me than working in gdocs. I haven't actually worked in the Foundry yet but I tend to agree with Paco. On the other hand, I think I see what Erik is saying also. I especially agree that we should and can make better use of the ooc for things like mutual world building. (That IS what you said, isn't it Erik?)

Possibly unrelated to the question but I'm going to put it out there anyway - I am able to follow things in the Eberron Foundry without any problem, but I am totally lost in the Champions Foundry. I find it extremely frustrating that I can't even begin to figure out what is going on. :/

edit: Well I guess I should have finished reading the thread before commenting, because now I see that Colin, Paul, and Nightwind are back and I no longer have to understand what was going on.

Last edited by Kelemyn; 6th of May, 2010 at 09:28.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 11:33
Hardball
Vampire Spawn

Your failure to understand what's going on in Champions is not a function of the Foundry. You don't understand what's going on because none of us understand what's going on.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 11:37
Hardball
Vampire Spawn

I agree with Hodge. Writing in the main IC thread and asking questions/jointly world building in OoC is the cleanest solution.
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 21:43
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
I agree with Erik, because agreeing with Paco just seems wrong.
Unread 7th of May, 2010, 00:19
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
Ultimately y'all should do what you feel works best. If we abandon the Foundry then I'll likely go back to putting up drafts in gdocs, inviting contributors as needed. As a distinctly personal preference I don't like putting anything in a main thread until I know it's clean.

Last edited by Cadrius; 7th of May, 2010 at 01:04. Reason: How the "u" in Ultimately got left off, I'll never know.
Unread 7th of May, 2010, 00:31
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
I don't think gDocs are the devil (although they could be the monster hiding under my bed). I think they work great for joint posts where there is a lot of back and forth between characters. However, when we're more or less posting our own sections then I think it just makes more sense to put your post IC.

I'm not advocating posting half finished stuff IC, either. Holding on to stuff and polishing it is fine - whether you keep it in gDoc or notepad or the foundry. I just think that we should avoid over-using those avenues for things that don't really require them.
Unread 7th of May, 2010, 02:14
Hardball
Vampire Spawn

On an unrelated note, I'm not sure what to do next IC. Shadow's back, but is he like obviously passed out on the floor and not a threat or something like that, 'cause I have this huge impulse to have Hardball tackle him and put him in a submission hold.
Unread 7th of May, 2010, 04:28
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

That's a good question - what condition are the three in? And how is it that they flopped "wetly" on the floor?
Unread 7th of May, 2010, 10:58
-J-

My question to you would be you have all this pent up anxiety over waiting for another attack by the teleporting fiend, what would your gut reflex be? Last time it only took him an instant to snag two party members and take them...somehwere.

They flopped wetly because they are wet - completely soaked. Colin is not as good of a teleporter as the demon - It took a couple of 'ports to clear the ocean floor.