Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > elpresidente's Games > Revenants of Greatness [Rogue Trader]

Unread 17th of August, 2011, 23:18
elpresidente
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Member: #488
The Captain's table [player OOC]

Welcome to all victims players!

Feel free to move all character creation discussion to here rather than the recruitment thread.
Unread 18th of August, 2011, 00:23
elpresidente
Vampire Spawn [GM]

OK the plan is to fill in the required fields on the character sheet in 3 easier to manage posts which will cover your skills, talents, background etc.

The combat stuff such as what armour people are wearing, guns carried with damage dealt, bullets in clip wounds, fate points etc will all be dropped in the status thread so it's easier to be aware of how everyone else is kitted and what kind of state they are in.

The other 2 forums are going to be a WIP for a while as I post up the information you'd have to hand, I'll post in here when I actually put up anything of vague interest. When you guys are settled and have some character sheets up we'll start talking ship designs (possibly in a separate thread, it can get a little complex as it's essentially designing another character between a group of people rather than the usual 1).
For anyone who wants to ponder the mysteries of stellar-naval architecture before then your going to start with 70 ship points and components are available from the main book and from the battle fleet Koronus supplement.
Unread 18th of August, 2011, 01:20
Solar
Skeleton [GM]

Member: #9531
Yes we need to build our mighty spaceship. 70 ship points leaves us low on cash but great in terms of the vessel we can use, so we might as well go for something big as we can always upgrade later, rather than having to trade in for a new vessel. I'm thinking either a Dauntless-Class Light cruiser or even a Lunar Class Crusier. Thoughts?
Unread 18th of August, 2011, 06:58
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Member: #7429
My vote is for the Lunar. Then it is all up from there, when we have the funds/ability to upgrade. Trading in/up ships and starting over with the upgrades I find an unpleasant prospect if we are already in a relatively negative state financially.

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Unread 18th of August, 2011, 09:02
Solar
Skeleton [GM]

Also we get a Lunar class cruiser

Which is pretty badass.
Unread 18th of August, 2011, 12:19
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Rules question.

The armour rules say that armour that has a protection rating of 7 or more causes stealth penalties.

What about armour that is borderline and then increased with quality?

For example, Storm Trooper Carapace Armour has a protection of 6. For a 'Best' quality suit the weight would be halved and the protection increased to 7.

I wouldn't think that it is terribly realistic to say that this suit now causes stealth penalties even though it is lighter? Thoughts?

Unread 18th of August, 2011, 12:21
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

For the nuts and bolts of the ship, I am willing to leave most of that to the folks who have more experience with this system. ( Aside from favoring the Lunar Cruiser. )

My two ship outfitting ideas however are a Teleportarium ( and the Reliquary of Mars trait required to get it... I think this fits having our very own Tech-Priest as well? ) and the Barracks/Cargo/Sensors upgrades that make it easier/faster to complete endeavors. As we are desirous of increasing our wealth etc.

Unread 18th of August, 2011, 16:07
elpresidente
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Originally Posted by Vortigern # Rules question.

The armour rules say that armour that has a protection rating of 7 or more causes stealth penalties.

What about armour that is borderline and then increased with quality?

For example, Storm Trooper Carapace Armour has a protection of 6. For a 'Best' quality suit the weight would be halved and the protection increased to 7.

I wouldn't think that it is terribly realistic to say that this suit now causes stealth penalties even though it is lighter? Thoughts?
On the one hand the standard Imperial method of reducing vulnerability to death is welding some more armour plates onto it. On the other hand the armour is being bumped via quality of fabrication rather than that which is why the weight falls (heresy!!). It therefore makes more sense for it to not affect your stealth skills especially if you're taking best quality storm trooper carapace, rather than the average power armour which is around the same availability and would otherwise be a no-brain choice due to the fact that it's power armour.

So no craftsmanship bumps won't give you stealth penalties.

On the topic of ship, the reliquary of mars lunar sound good, just make sure you get some decent guns on it (at least the ability to macro cannon and lance the same fire arc) ten SP for extras is sparse on the ground when it comes to outfitting your ship.
Unread 18th of August, 2011, 20:04
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

My general impression is that this also fits with the idea that this Trader House is low on funds, relatively speaking. They have a nice ship in having a full Cruiser, but it is somewhat in disrepair and possibly not completely functional. This could allow us, as our financial situation improves, to refit and 'bring online' systems on the ship as we get into a better state of maintenance/repair.

Unread 18th of August, 2011, 20:23
elpresidente
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Clearing out cargo bays etc. I shall probably drop some occasional missions for you lot to unlock some extra ship points to put towards upgrading etc.
Unread 18th of August, 2011, 22:20
AbidingDude
Zombie

Member: #9299
Is it strange (or normal to this system), that Astropaths are given a best craftsmanship mono sword, and are not only not proficient, but are not allowed to gain proficiency until rank 3?
Unread 19th of August, 2011, 05:38
elpresidente
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Mono swords come under the purview of primitive melee weapons so you can take proficiency at rank 1. The rank 3 is (universal) which is primitive, power, chain or whatever else.

On the other hand you could just have the sword for show as a trapping of station and the officer class. Alcotroll has a sword when he goes on parade, he definitely doesn't have a proficiency...
Unread 19th of August, 2011, 08:43
AbidingDude
Zombie

The Mono enhancement states (because I had no idea what it did) "Mono weapons no longer count as primitive" :-(
Unread 19th of August, 2011, 15:27
elpresidente
Vampire Spawn [GM]

It's an upgrade to a primitive weapon so it no longer counts as primitive against armour. It still uses the primitive weapon prof.
Unread 19th of August, 2011, 18:26
Solar
Skeleton [GM]

Yeah it means primitive as in the special weapon rule, rather than as the weapon class

Which is a silly little naming mistake but easily understood once explained.
Unread 19th of August, 2011, 20:59
AbidingDude
Zombie

Ah! Got it. Thank you very much guys.
Unread 19th of August, 2011, 22:27
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

I'm about to start travellling Afghanistan -> U.S., so until further notice my internet access will be sporadic at best.

Unread 20th of August, 2011, 22:23
Copper
Shadow [GM]

Member: #9086
I'll likewise be lax on posts, until such a time as I can get proper internet access.
Unread 21st of August, 2011, 07:42
Foxtrot
Ghoul [GM]

Member: #9579
School starts for me this Tuesday, and my Internet won't be up and running in my new apartment until Tuesday night. I'll do some research and post my character concept and proposed build then.
Unread 24th of August, 2011, 00:59
Copper
Shadow [GM]

Member: #9086
With one game just starting, and the other having lost all of the notes I made for it, I find myself in the unfortunate position of having to withdraw from this title: a highly annoying necessity, since I was sincerely looking forwards to portraying my first proper Adepta Sororitas.

Should things pick up, I will no doubt send elpresidente a Private Message requesting that he consider me as a late entry. In the meantime, however, I wish you all the best in the game.
Unread 24th of August, 2011, 05:49
elpresidente
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Originally Posted by Copper # With one game just starting, and the other having lost all of the notes I made for it, I find myself in the unfortunate position of having to withdraw from this title: a highly annoying necessity, since I was sincerely looking forwards to portraying my first proper Adepta Sororitas.

Should things pick up, I will no doubt send elpresidente a Private Message requesting that he consider me as a late entry. In the meantime, however, I wish you all the best in the game.
No problem Copper fully understand mate.
Unread 25th of August, 2011, 07:18
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

Member: #512
I'm not dead!

Gaz- I'll see if I can source the book in a more traditional fashion and cobble together the character as soon as I can. Still looking at the Militant- probably ex-guard Officer seems like a safe bet.
Unread 25th of August, 2011, 07:57
elpresidente
Vampire Spawn [GM]

That's fine mate, not planning to start for a little while anyhow.

*EDIT btw to Vort, a short writeup of known information about the major rogue trader houses is now up in the background section.

Last edited by elpresidente; 25th of August, 2011 at 08:00.
Unread 30th of August, 2011, 02:37
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

I'm now settling in state-side, so I will be endeavoring to catch up and get active again soonish!

Unread 30th of August, 2011, 03:05
elpresidente
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Cool, cool well I'm moving house till mid week so I'll be intermittently online this week am still available for character creation advice etc. So if people pop up some stuff I'll help however I can