Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Chris Chandler's Games > Epicureans

Unread 8th of August, 2008, 22:28
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Member: #2781
Here you are. I hand it over. I had to have it translated. Is this the local language?
Unread 9th of August, 2008, 02:51
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

Member: #1475
She takes it and opens it -

Pardon? Oh, no, this is some tongue that I've not seen before... No, I take it back. I've seen it once or twice, but I cannot read it. 'Tis the writing of the Vistani, er, wanderers of the mists. You must have seen the mists as you traveled here, yes?

She scrutinizes the letter a moment longer -

I don't recognize the hand, either - our Lord Godefry had someone scribe this for him... or, something worse. How did you say you came about receiving this invitation?

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 9th of August, 2008, 06:37
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

"Well, I actually didn't say how I had gotten it. But it just appeared in my pack one day."

Last edited by LadyGlutter; 9th of August, 2008 at 09:59.
Unread 10th of August, 2008, 12:41
Chris Chandler

Appeared? That is most peculiar, though, if you are an outsider, it would make some sense for Godefrey to send the invitation by arcane means. That, however, does not tell me, actually, who did send the invitation.

She passes you your dish and the other two ladies sit down. Mary, sitting at your right, speaks up -

So, dearie, sounds like you've got a bit of trouble on your plate, you do. What've you done what brought Godefry's nose around you?

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 11th of August, 2008, 10:38
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I smile. "I've no idea what particular thing caught his attention. I travel a lot, from world to world actually, so it's extremely hard to say. So, what sort of trouble should I expect?"
Unread 12th of August, 2008, 06:36
Chris Chandler

The three of them look at you as if you are mad.

You... travel? You travel from, what did you say, world to world? Please forgive my shock at such a phrase, but please understand. None of us here in Mordent has ever left the borders of the realm. We cannot. To say so glibly that you, if it be possible, to travel the very stars, is, to say the least, unbelievable.

Mary makes the sign to ward the evil eye, to which Lady Weathermay-Foxgrove glares at her. Bertha smirks -

Yer wardin' the wrong eye, Missus Mary. The Lady's liable to send you digging potatoes with no spade, calling on that Vistani -

Oh, ladies please, not at the table. As I was saying -

Well, how d'we not she's not some devil come to -

No devil could be that beautiful!

Never heard of look fair smell foul, then?

She's not a melon!

Mary, I won't hear another word of this. Miss Mizuki is - Mary!

Mary, attempting to stand, stops and plops down, frowning.

If Miss Mizuki had been some sort of devil, perish the thought, then the guardian would have known, now wouldn't she?

S'pose, missus.

So, no more of that talk. Goodness!

She smiles with great force of will and continues -

You have travelled the stars, and, judging from your appearance I cannot say I disbelieve such a statement, but then, even then, it makes me fearful for just why you were called here.

Unread 13th of August, 2008, 00:43
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

"I do not intend to bring trouble. Or force my company upon anyone, Mary. Don't worry, I'm not offended. You don't know me, and of course you have no reason to trust me. I will leave if you wish." I smile. I'm truly not offended -- the lives they have lived surely inclines people to be wary. It's actually probably wise. "But I would like to know what this guardian is before I head on my way."
Unread 13th of August, 2008, 13:13
Chris Chandler

Both of the servants look quite surprised, but Gennifer smiles broadly.

Oh, would you like to meet her? She would be most pleased, I am sure. Most pleased.

Unless there is something between now and meeting that you would like to discuss, breakfast will continue without interruption, Lady Weathermay-Foxgrove silently thrilled for the upcoming encounter.

Unread 13th of August, 2008, 23:26
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Nothing to add.
Unread 14th of August, 2008, 00:34
Chris Chandler

You head out of the kitchen and down the hall, to the other end of the manor. You can see that this section of the manor does not see much activity - where in other sections there are open doors and open curtains, the three doors here are closed. She enters a righthand door and you see a small room, dim, as the curtain is drawn. You can see well enough, though, to establish that this room resembles a small temple, a chapel, if you will. You also see a young woman at the far wall, praying to herself.

Alexi? Alexi, there is someone I would like you to meet.

The woman turns and stand, then slowly floats toward you, her feet wisping into ether. She is beautiful to behold and terribly sad. All of her color, as she approaches you, seems to have washed out, and she looks a pale grey, her long ringlets of hair fading into the dimness around her.

She is dressed as an acolyte of a holy order you don't recognize, with a cuirass beneath a long white surcoat. You see the scabbard of a blade, but it is empty.

She looks at Gennifer, then to you. She smiles plainly and bows in the manner of a knight-militant -

Milady, it is a pleasure to meet you. I am Kitari Shadowborn, of the Shadowborns of... of...

It's alright dear.

I am sorry, Milady. I am... simply Kitari now.

Unread 14th of August, 2008, 04:18
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Though I'm a bit confused, I smile warmly. "What land you once were from is not important. I would not likely recognize it anyway. I am Mizuki. Pleasure to meet you, Kitari."
Unread 14th of August, 2008, 04:58
Chris Chandler

As I had said earlier, this land is full of the spirits that once peopled this land. Kitari, here, is a sort of spiritual refugee. She found herself on my grounds one morning, and I approached her. She is an unbound spirit, having been cast from her... pardon me Kitari, cast from her haunt by a powerful evil spirit.

Ebonbane, Milady. It's name is Ebonbane.

Yes, of course. It's so rare to find a wandering spirit that isn't consumed by evil. I asked her to join my household, and she accepted. She keeps away evil spirits, hates them.

They are a reminder of my failure -

Oh none of that, Kitari. I won't hear of it.

Kitari looks toward you -

You are an outsider. Your spirit will reside in the court of Ehlonna. How beautiful, how wonderful.

She says this smiling, she means her statement as high praise, but her sadness overwhelms the statement.

Gennifer stands back, confused herself.

The great tormentor, Godfrey of Griffon Hill, seeks your audience. Do not fear the dead milady. Godfrey cannot harm such as you. Beware of she who beckoned the Lord of Mordent to call you forth. She is dangerous, hidden. Beware.

She says this last with little more than a whisper, and she hangs her head low.

Unread 15th of August, 2008, 00:17
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I will do my best. Do not worry so. Do you know more of who she is, or what she might want, so I can better prepare?
Unread 15th of August, 2008, 00:38
Chris Chandler

No, she has hidden herself. I cannot see her spirit. I am sorry.

Unread 15th of August, 2008, 00:52
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Then... how do you know she is female. Or, is that the very reason you are concerned so about her, because she has hidden herself?
Unread 15th of August, 2008, 10:55
Chris Chandler

Yes. She appeared, and I did not think of her past her arrival, but it was when I did not notice her, when I noticed the complete absence of her that I worried. Even if a spirit has left I can sense a trace, but with her, nothing.

Unread 18th of August, 2008, 23:13
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Interesting. How long ago? And am I the only one who has arrived that you know of?
Unread 19th of August, 2008, 04:21
Chris Chandler

The spirit shakes her head, and looks to Gennifer -

There are visitors, immigrants some call them, outsiders to others. Some, like the old cooper William - he arrived from some city named Culdorn - come to Mordent and live out their lives. Others, most every outsider that visits Mordent, die terrible, bloody deaths. I don't really understand why, beside those few fools who refuse to accept that spirits walk these streets when the sun hides herself. Some say it is Godfrey, others say his daughter, still other say that the Loup Garou have come in from Richelieu, though I have a hard time thinking that such creatures, even as foul and evil as they are, could live out in the moors at night.

It is the land itself, mistress. It hungers for those in the light, the light of the waking world.

Gennifer looks positively nonplussed by her reply, that is, confused and upset.

Unread 20th of August, 2008, 00:35
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

No wonder you are so worried. I do not plan on dying a terrible bloody death today, but I do suppose I am delaying an inevitable meeting, and perhaps I will find more answers with Lord Godfrey himself.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 04:06
Chris Chandler

Please do be careful. I really cannot say just what sort of temperament he may have. Surely though, he is a murderous fiend. Please travel safely. Follow the road south slightly and you will see a spur. Take that road up to through the deadwood to the hilltop. His manor is there.

Gennifer looks terribly worried. Kitari fades from your sight.

Unread 20th of August, 2008, 05:28
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Thank you so much for your cordial hospitality. I appreciate it so much. The room was lovely, the dress beautiful, breakfast wonderful. I wish I could ease your mind. I will be careful. I promise.

With that, I return to my room to gather my belongings, and take my leave as soon as possible. My presence is just worrying her sick, and I don't even know if I'll get a chance to come back and assure her I'm fine. So I'd best just hurry up with it, kind as she has been.
Unread 20th of August, 2008, 06:02
Chris Chandler

You head out quickly and painlessly. Scratch lets you know that there was something watching the house, but she could not see what it was, specifically, and didn't want to leave and have you not be able to find her.

It looked like a young woman... sort of. It was hiding in the bushes, and I saw a girl's face, but it disappeared as soon as it caught sight of me looking at it.

Unread 20th of August, 2008, 07:11
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I follow the Lady's directions as I walk along with Scratch. Well... thanks for letting me know, but I'm almost certain no matter where I turn I'm being watched here, don't you think? And what do you mean 'sort of'?
Unread 21st of August, 2008, 00:17
Chris Chandler

Well, she wasn't natural, that's for sure. I peeked in and listed to a bit of your conversation. I didn't see any spirits last night, and I've got kind of a keen nose, y'know? She could have been a spirit.

You move out across the road and onto the spur. It takes an immediate sharp turn to the left, then heads upward. The path - it is hardly a road - is cut into Gryphon Hill and winds around. There was a thick forest here at one time, but it has been destroyed. The entire area is burnt and ruined. All the trees are dead and you sense no wildlife around at all. You have a sense of great pain throughout this area. You can tell that some of the very largest trees (not quite a dozen) have their spirits still within, though they are very nearly completely dead. Your blood chills from the wind whipping through the dead trees sounds uncannily like faint screams.

As you top the hill you catch sight of The House. It is bleak and dark, even in mid morning, with broken windows, a crumbling roof, and parched, dead grounds around it. You arrive at the rear door, and there is what looks like a decayed garden expanding to the edge of the grounds. The path winds around to the front, and ends.

The skeleton of a multitude of dead climbing roses covers the front of the House. The heavy door, ironbound wood, looks more like the door to a prison than to an old manor. The leaded windows, those that aren't broken, have a glazed, filmy look to them. You see no light from the inside.

Unread 21st of August, 2008, 01:54
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

"My host's decorating skills leave a bit be to be desired," I chuckle, glad of Scratch's company. I'm still going to treat it like any regular home I'm visiting, and knock, prison door or not.