Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Chris Chandler's Games > Epicureans

Unread 31st of July, 2008, 04:59
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

Member: #1475
When you were aboard ship it was foggy, very foggy, but you know that there was still daylight. After the crash and heading out from the ship's camp, the sun was pretty low, nearly sundown. You quickly walked toward the fire near the ruined manor, which was perhaps a four mile walk. At this point evening had fallen. You spent at least an hour (but we'll go with an hour), ministering to the treant and the area around the ruined manor. The flight down to the town was another five, maybe six miles, but Scratch moves really quickly. So, all told that means 2 1/2 hours since you left the camp. It's still early evening (approx. 8:30 or so).

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 31st of July, 2008, 05:36
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Member: #2781
"It's early for the town to be that quiet. Tonight seems best." I'll dismount and fly down myself. I land where the road meets the grounds.
Unread 31st of July, 2008, 06:51
Chris Chandler

The ground are well kept, clean, free of weeds, very manicured. The trees, slim oleanders, line the stone path that leads to the manor proper. The manor house is large, but not of the ostentatious grandeur so often seen among the landed.

Scratch lands nearby, closer to the woods than to road. She shimmers and is gone, but you can tell where she is. She is playing hoot-owl, in fact, hooting to let you know where she is.

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 31st of July, 2008, 23:05
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I smile to myself at her silliness, and follow the path to the manor house. When I reach the door, I simply knock and wait.
Unread 1st of August, 2008, 03:47
Chris Chandler

You don't even get to the second knock before a woman, a tall, ravishing beauty with crystal blue eyes and long red hair back into a loose bun, swings back the door, her dark silken dressing gown tied tightly around her. Her eyes are wide with fear, and she reaches out, physically grabs you, and brings you inside. She spins immediately around, with you in tow, and then she whispers, loudly -

Are you mad, or just a fool? Inside!

The second that she fails to slam the door (which she will do immediately thereafter) is just enough time for Scratch to enter the building. You can tell this because her tail tips over a vase and, in the same instant, stops it from falling and sets it down gently, without a sound. Your keen senses watch it unfold in slow motion, but the woman seems oblivious.

The woman is nearly brimming with tears -

Miss - miss? Miss! Are - you - harmed?

You can sense nothing but fear and concern from this woman.

Unread 1st of August, 2008, 04:12
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

That puts me off a bit, but I try to handle it with some dignity. "Not to worry, I am neither a fool, nor harmed, ma'am. I don't understand what you mean by either, for I'm not of these parts. I am sorry to disturb you, but I was looking for a Heather House. Have I found it?"

Last edited by LadyGlutter; 1st of August, 2008 at 04:14.
Unread 1st of August, 2008, 06:16
Chris Chandler

She stops, drops her hands (off of you) to her sides, then furrows her brow.

Of course this is Heather Hou... wait, you are not of these parts, so of course you would not know that. Yes miss, I am Gennifer Weathermay-Foxgrove, Lady of Heather House. You say you were looking for the manor. Seems that you've found it, now what is a brave...

She stops for a moment, finally taken you in -

Goodness. Miss, you... you are truly not from this land. What misfortune has brought you here?

She starts moving through the large manor heading down the hall. She reaches out involuntarily to hold your hand as she begins walking.

Unread 1st of August, 2008, 22:37
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I will take her hand, and say, "A pleasure to make your acquaintance. I am Mizuki. As to how I came here, well, some ...Lord Godfrey? Do you know him? Sent for me. I do not know him, or why, or how he heard of me. I had heard of the land of Mordent, however, and it sounded like an oppressed land in need of aid."
Unread 2nd of August, 2008, 01:15
Chris Chandler

The lady is taken aback by the mention of that name, though she listens.

Aid? In need of aid. That is... more of an understatement than you realize Miss... Mizuki. I do not know what Godefrey has up his damned sleeve with inviting you here, but you can be assured it is of no kindness on his part.

She ponders for less than a second, moving to a table and pouring herself some brandy.

Nightcap?

She continues -

Were you sent an invitation, or did a messenger summon you?

Unread 2nd of August, 2008, 05:07
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I respond to the offer politely, "No thank you. It sounds as though I may need my wits about me. I was sent an invitation."
Unread 2nd of August, 2008, 11:08
Chris Chandler

That is interesting. If he had sent a messenger, he most likely would have wanted you killed, but an invitation? That means a bit more of a personal meeting, to meet with you, not to murder you. I don't pretend to understand the madness of Lord Godefrey.

She smiles with no humor and knocks back her drink. She lets out a slow breath.

Last edited by Chris Chandler; 3rd of August, 2008 at 13:55.
Unread 3rd of August, 2008, 22:37
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I laugh. Well, I'm not quite sure what to say then. Everything you say is confusing to me, but thank you for the warning. Is he the Lord of this house? And why did you pull me inside all upset like that?
Unread 5th of August, 2008, 04:21
Chris Chandler

She sets a trembling glass on the table near her and half smiles.

No, Lord Godefrey never leaves his home - he cannot, for he is cursed to stay atop Griffon Hill for all time. I am... I am one of his great-grandaughters, though I never knew him... as a man, at least. He is a tortured spirit, as are his wife and daughter, cursed by this cursed land.

As she speaks, she moves across the parlor toward a small portrait - the woman look much like Lady Gennifer here, but older and a man who, while handsomely featured, has a haunted look about his eyes. She touches the frame absently then turns back to you -

The moors and river, all of Mordent is unsafe, even to the most stalwart and brave, once the sun goes down. The restless spirits of the dead may never leave this place, and they roam the countryside, the streets of our village of Mortenshire, even in many homes. Did you not see any spirits? You nearly shine like a beacon, if you don't mind the turn of phrase, miss, a beacon that draws thirsty spirits from their slumber.

Unread 5th of August, 2008, 22:18
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

"I saw a dying tree shepherd a few miles north, and I helped his spirit escape this land, but that is all. That must have been why he wanted me to burn him. I did hurry on my way once I had taken care of that, though.

So if the land itself is cursed are all those who die here doomed so? Oh, and where is Griffon Hill?"
Unread 6th of August, 2008, 12:23
Chris Chandler

Griffin Hill is just to the west of here, though the deadwood on the other side of the main road. it is difficult to see at night - the forest masks the hill quite well. In the daytime, if the sun is bright, you can occasionally see a glint from one of the windows at the House on Griffin Hill.

She looks at the brandy, considering another glass. She stoppers the bottle, though, and moves away.

I do not know, specifically if every spirit is doomed to walk the land. I know that many, even those whom I have know through my own life, do walk restlessly, shades and spectres of their former selves. I must say, though, that those who are selfless, good-natured, happy with their lives, and those for whom there is love in others' hearts, they rest easily. My good brother, for example... His spirit has... has left this place, thankfully.

Her eyes are rimmed with tears, but she blinks them back and looks toward you.

I daresay, though, that you should travel any longer this night. I have far more room than I could ever hope to fill, and it would be certainly wonderful company. Please do stay here at Heather House during your stay. Even though I shall be very grateful for your company, I pray that you are not forced to stay in Mordent for very long.

Unread 7th of August, 2008, 00:27
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

"You are very kind. I would be glad to stay here tonight."
Unread 7th of August, 2008, 01:11
Chris Chandler

Lady Weathermay-Foxgrove will be happy (well, willing) to continue the discussion, or will be glad to show you to your room. Do you have any other questions for her?

Unread 7th of August, 2008, 01:52
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

No, I'll be a good house guest and let her entertain me as she chooses. If anything comes up, then yes, but I'm not about to interrogate her.
Unread 7th of August, 2008, 03:18
Chris Chandler

She walks at a brisk clip, but not too fast for you to keep up with ease, heads up the large curving stairs into the suites upstairs and moves down the hall, stopping at a oaken double door. She opens the door and frowns.

I am dreadfully sorry about the state of the room. I don't often entertain guests. Everything is in good order, but these rooms could really use some airing out... Tommorrow. Yes, that will be a nice project.

The room is stately but functional, with little overbearing pomp. The bed is large and there is a sitting area at its foot, a small couch butted up against the bed with a small table adjacent. A washing table is against the wall -

I'll fetch some water for you presently.

She heads off.

there is a large bay window with a desk and chair. You note that one of the small panes is cracked, creating a sliver of white from outside. The moonlight casts scant light into the room itself, but you see a number of lamps to provide for adequate lighting. There is also an enormous wardrobe next to the door - it takes up most of this wall. There is a beautiful rug in the middle of the floor, as well.

Scratch takes the opportunity to bump you out of the way and move... you think, near the window. She is quiet, but still big, and you know what to look for when she moves.

The lady returns with a proper pitcher of water, a dressing gown, and some clothes.

Should you require anything of me, I am at your service. I'll leave you to your rest. Good night!

She closes the door behind her and you hear her footsteps fade down the hall.

Well, goodness, what has her garters crossed?

Scratch fades in, and you see her curled around the writing desk at the window, the moonlight playing off her scales in a most luminescent manner.

Unread 7th of August, 2008, 03:59
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

You heard everything I did. I don't know exactly what's going on, but I guess she doesn't want me to air the room out tonight. I suppose I'll behave. Did you see any restless spirits wandering? I didn't.

I will wash up, change into the night clothes, cuddle with Scratch a bit, and generally get ready for bed.
Unread 7th of August, 2008, 06:24
Chris Chandler

I, er, wasn't exactly looking for ghosts.

The bed is positively cozy, and you sleep well. The morning arrives early, but you are well rested. From this window you can see more clearly the building you spied earlier. From this distance it looks like a family mausoleum, made from stone. You hear movement from the hall and also from downstairs. It seems that there is, at least, more than just the Lady of the house here today.

Unread 7th of August, 2008, 06:56
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I'll get up, do my morning routine, brush out my hair, and scrub my face, and get dressed in what was left for me. I also make up the bed and throw open the window. I give Scratch a kiss, then head to the sounds from down the hall.

"Good Morning!"
Unread 7th of August, 2008, 23:51
Chris Chandler

The dress fits you well. It is a simple summer frock, nearly emerald green, that hits about mid-calf. Lady Weathermay-Foxgrove embraces you as you greet her and scoops you toward what smells like the kitchen, and it smells wonderful - baking bread, meat being fried up, cinnamon all float in the air. You enter the kitchen and see two older women cooking up a formidable breakfast. You see that there is a small table off to the side, butting up against a large window, overlooking the lawn. The table is set for four.

Oh, what would whet your whistle, Miss Mizuki? I've some fair plum juice, fresh cow's milk, and a pot of coffee boiling up as we speak. Missus Mary and Bertha here will be joining us presently. That is acceptable, I hope. It's a custom here. They are my servants, yes, but that doesn't mean they aren't people. Please, have a seat. Now that we've had a bit of rest, perhaps we can discuss things a bit more rationally.

She smiles, absolutely thrilled to have a guest.

Unread 8th of August, 2008, 00:30
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

I take a seat. "Of course I do not mind having more people at breakfast! And hmmmm... milk please."
Unread 8th of August, 2008, 11:40
Chris Chandler

Quite, and now then, to it. This invitation you mentioned last night. Do you have it on your person? May I see it please?