Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Chris Chandler's Games > Epicureans

Unread 30th of May, 2008, 03:11
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Member: #2777
Okay, I'm back. What I was trying to stay is that even if the 'character' has low HD and a high LA, or a high HD and a low LA the effect is the same. The 'characters' Hit dice and LA abilities put it on an ECL that is the same as a straight level character.

So if I were playing a Chain Devil that has 8HD and a LA of +6, why not just say it's ECL is 14?

Also on the LA reduction, I believe if the characters LA was +6, it could lose it first LA at level 18, and then it would be 21, 24, 27, 30, 33.
Unread 30th of May, 2008, 03:28
Doombot
Spirit of the Spartan Nation [Epic]

Member: #1704
Alright, I have a question aimed at the group: If I were to take Improved Sunder, would you guys be ok with that? I know some people don't like the idea of having all their treasure destroyed prior to winning the fight.
Unread 30th of May, 2008, 04:06
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Member: #2781
Ah, an easy one! None of my possible character concepts would have issue with that, Doom.
Unread 30th of May, 2008, 04:12
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Well since you asked nicely, and usually I just take it and screw the group, I don't see any issues with it.

If the race I had decided on, Hound Archon, has to always be Lawful Good, I'm going to take my character classes in Shadowbane Inquisitor.
Unread 30th of May, 2008, 04:45
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Member: #2980
I have no problem with you Sundering, Doom, provided you ask before each item you break.

Hrm. If you guys are picking up +9 weapons, I'm gonna have to re-think my kit.
Unread 30th of May, 2008, 04:46
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

And I guess if we're declaring our classes to the fore, I should note that my Werebear will be a Scout/Ranger with good Disable Device.
Unread 30th of May, 2008, 05:21
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

Member: #1475
“ Originally Posted by LightBringer # About the level adjustment, according to the rules if I choose a character with LA 6, I can't start reducing LA until level 18. So I would only be able to reduced 3 levels down, not the entire 6 levels.

I was doing it backwards anyway. I was adding the LA to my characters ECL and not including the Hit Dice. If something has 4 hit dice and a LA of +2, why didn't they just say the LA was +6 to begin with?
”
That's correct. I meant to say that you can reduce the LA of up to a LA +6 character, but you wouldn't be able to reduce it entirely. That was my confusing text.
“ LightBringer is right about the rules on reducing level adjustment. A pixie with a LA of +4 can buy off its first level at 12th, its second at 21st, its third at 27th and its fourth at 30th. This means that only a +3 LA can be bought off entirely until level 25 according to the RAW. Unless I'm making a mistake myself. ”
This is also correct. I stand corrected after cross-referencing the XP chart and the example given. Just going by the drow in the example (LA +2), it looks like it decreases every 3 levels, but you recalculate the LA each time you reduce.

This is just a bit too crunchy!

*whew*

Now to go read what I missed.

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!

Last edited by Chris Chandler; 30th of May, 2008 at 05:32.
Unread 30th of May, 2008, 05:23
Chris Chandler

“ Originally Posted by Doombot # I was looking to have Magebane upgraded to Magedread, since I didn't expect the bonuses would stack. Would it still affect creatures with arcane SLAs? I'll probably think of some other goodies to go on it as well. For one thing, at this point it will no longer be Anglachel (Iron Flames), but Gurthang (Iron Death), in keeping with the original reference. This probably took place after it was reforged with 'starmetal,' as described in CA. ”
Man, it's a +7 enhancement... Yes it would specifically affect creatures with arcane SLAs.

I like the reforging, too. That is most excellent.

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 30th of May, 2008, 05:24
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

“ Originally Posted by LightBringer # Well since you asked nicely, and usually I just take it and screw the group, I don't see any issues with it.

If the race I had decided on, Hound Archon, has to always be Lawful Good, I'm going to take my character classes in Shadowbane Inquisitor.
”
Now, this is a much bigger problem than, oh, Sunder. I forget, C, where do we stand on in party fighting again? Because I'll kick any Shadowbane Inquistor THAT boy can come up with to where he can meet his higher power face to face.
Unread 30th of May, 2008, 05:32
Chris Chandler

“ Originally Posted by LightBringer # Okay, I'm back. What I was trying to stay is that even if the 'character' has low HD and a high LA, or a high HD and a low LA the effect is the same. The 'characters' Hit dice and LA abilities put it on an ECL that is the same as a straight level character.

So if I were playing a Chain Devil that has 8HD and a LA of +6, why not just say it's ECL is 14?

Also on the LA reduction, I believe if the characters LA was +6, it could lose it first LA at level 18, and then it would be 21, 24, 27, 30, 33.
”
I can understand that - they added an extra step with the (HD+LA)+ any class levels. It's something that often gets overlooked, too.

The LA reduction, I noted above, has to recalculate each level, not every three (my initial mistake). That means an LA+6 would be 18, 33, 45, 54, 60, 63 (gag).

Unread 30th of May, 2008, 05:48
Chris Chandler

“ Originally Posted by LadyGlutter # Now, this is a much bigger problem than, oh, Sunder. I forget, C, where do we stand on in party fighting again? Because I'll kick any Shadowbane Inquistor THAT boy can come up with to where he can meet his higher power face to face. ”
That is a most excellent question, and it's something I don't really think we've discussed with any meaningful resolution.

Okay, now I like it when the group gets along, because everyone is here to have fun. That being said, a certain degree of intra-party conflict is part and parcel to any game. There is, however, a point where conflict turns into in-fighting. I don't want to force peoples' collective hands, so how do we have a game where natural conflict is able to develop in a mature, non-contrived way, but avoid, for example, Maddog's character killing Aros because he broke a minor artifact, or LB's dog-sneak-paladin getting wailed upon by LG's character, because of the principle of the thing?

Now, in one game I'm running I asked that everyone involved integrate the other characters into their own backstory in one way or another. The reason I did that is because all the characters were from the same, very small settlement. It had decidedly mixed results, and, honestly, I wouldn't ever ask that of this group. I mention it here because I know that in a F2F game that is one way to avoid the "we met in a bar, over a beer" start of many low-level games. We do, however, need a reason for association.

It is important for everyone to note that they will be playing with a ensemble cast, though the individuals can be quite divergent. Why are you four associating with each other, without DM fiat? I mean, I can slap some fiat on you, but I don't think any of you would like that. I would like to find a sort of middle group between me shoehorning your characters into a social situation, insisting that there be relationships established, versus the calamity of four characters who would never associate with one another.

Unread 30th of May, 2008, 06:10
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Well, for Malek, it's fairly simple. He has a goal, he's in Athas, and he's not familiar at all with the place and its customs. Heck, I'm lucky if I can speak the same language!

Now, HOW I meet the other players, we'll have to hammer out individually, I think. But I'm already threading some basic ideas that can be a unifying theme, at least from Malek's perspective.

1) Aros hates arcanists, and Malek's mission involves destroying a powerful sorcerer/necromancer
2) LB's character might be a Hound Archon Shadowbane Inquisitor - even the mention of such a menace as a powerful Necromancer recently arrived on Athas should be enough to whip him into a froth-mouthed frenzy.
3) Hrm. LG sure is playing her cards close. I think she's planning on RPing a necromancer.

Anyway. I'm just saying that based on the way the characters seem to be falling, we can have a lot in common fairly quickly. All that remains is to hash out the story of how we came to be in cahoots.
Unread 30th of May, 2008, 06:54
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

HA! That puny piece of crap you're thinking of would stand no chance, , against the might of my hopped up guard dog. You're lucky that I'm not in a Lawful Good mood.

Are you sure about the LA thing? I think it reads like 3 x the original LA is the starting point, and then every 3 levels after that. Because with their logic, self-regulating xp, for paying off LA, it would make no sense to buy off any LA after +3, if that high. I mean really self-regulating after level 63...please!!
Unread 30th of May, 2008, 07:40
Doombot

Most of my sundering will probably involve weapons, since fighter-types without weapons are a lot easier to handle. Aros is bonded to his own sword, so he won't be picking up anything else. Also, improved sunder is a pre-req for Shock Trooper, which, among other things, allows better damage conversion for power attack after a charge. I'm still a little iffy on final feats, but I think I've got most of them down.

As for backstory, well, Aros is in about the same boat as Malek. He's in Athas, he has a goal (not to be in Athas), and he's unfamiliar with everything. Two strangers in a strange land seem like decent traveling buddies, although I guess that depends a lot on general outlook.

For getting to Athas from Eberron? Merc tried to give me a little help without spoiling the rest of RHoD, and he montioned that Xoriat and the Lords of Dust were involved somehow. I did a little research, since I'm a bit behind on the Eberron lore, and learned that non-natives to Xoriat are lucky not to have their minds completely shattered just by visiting there. The Daelkyr who are responsible for most of the aberrations on Eberron. Since the spellwarped template changes your type to Aberration, and since Aros will have some memory loss out of necessity, a trip to Athas through Xoriat sounds just about perfect to me. Maybe he was helping Dahai and some Gatekeepers keep Xoriat locked away or something, and got pulled through.

This should be interesting if the some mission involves a powerful sorcerer. Destroy the abomination, or go home? Choices, choices...

Oh yeah, before I forget: how far are you planning on taking us, Chris? Should I have some plan for the next ten levels, or is that a bit much?
Unread 30th of May, 2008, 07:50
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
“ Are you sure about the LA thing? I think it reads like 3 x the original LA is the starting point, and then every 3 levels after that. Because with their logic, self-regulating xp, for paying off LA, it would make no sense to buy off any LA after +3, if that high. I mean really self-regulating after level 63...please!! ”
http://www.systemreferencedocuments....el-adjustments
The table right at the top shows it quite nicely for the LA +3 version.
3x3=9 => start reducing LA by one at 9th level. Your LA is now 2.
2x3=6 => six levels from then you can buy off the next level, so that's at 15th
... and so on.

That's the way it works because the higher the LA, the more crazy and powerful your powers are and at some point you are just not supposed to be able to reduce the disadvantages of the LA any longer I guess.
Unread 30th of May, 2008, 09:16
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Xoriat is very much a zone of chaos, if I'm recalling correctly from playing DDO. I'm recalling that on the continent that Stormreachis located on there is a gate known as the Xorian Cipher. It's a nightmare of utter chaos (my Drow Necromancer has stormed the heck outta that place back in my day. ) and would make a GREAT place for Aros to have been sucked out of Eberron entirely.

AFAIK, the DDO world is based loosely enough on Eberron that it should translate decently.

*shrug*
Unread 30th of May, 2008, 12:55
Doombot

And now he's even more pissed off than he was that time Jean shot a fireball 200 feet into the air and signaled the ambush group that we were on our way.
Unread 30th of May, 2008, 22:00
Chris Chandler

That was a day where Dahai nearly took care of the issue, man. Why'd you remind me of that?! I mean, seriously, a signal flare? Oh, there wouldn't have been a magistrate in the kingdom...

Okay, with that behind us, let's move on to some specific tastes. I have a good idea, in general, what some of your preferences are, and since I've started this thread I've been buzzing with campaign ideas (which shall be closely guarded), but I'd like to hear what you folks would like to see in your game. What makes the game fun for you?

Unread 31st of May, 2008, 02:28
Doombot

Crunchy on the outside combat and fluffy on the inside RP.
Lots of low level mages for me to splatter.
A creative, consistent DM with solid players.

So far, so good, methinks.
Unread 31st of May, 2008, 03:21
Chris Chandler

Oh, MadDog brought up a very important point. Would you like for me to roll all dice, or would you guys like to have some amount of dice control. What I've done in the past is that I'll roll "indirect dice", that is, listen checks, unnoticed saving throws, etc. for you guys, but you handle active checks. Is there a preference?

Unread 31st of May, 2008, 03:50
Doombot

I'm cool with you rolling everything, if you don't mind. It seems to work well enough for Merc and tree, and I think it can help speed things along.
Unread 31st of May, 2008, 06:00
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

I'm a big fan of you rolling all dice. Especiallly since you seem to be keen on this whole nonsensical suspension of disbelief :p.

As far as what I want?

Solid roleplay, but still some fun combats. I like to think tactically, but also to be challenged with diversity.
Unread 1st of June, 2008, 00:18
Doombot

Hey Chris, what's starting gold for level 25? I think I've got enough to put a rough draft up.
Unread 2nd of June, 2008, 12:10
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Alright guys, I'm more and more getting into my idea of Paladin of Freedom. I'll give you more specifics later, but I'm going to throw just that much out there for you to gnaw on. I think it'll be great but I also think that it could pose a lot of problems as well... moreso than even a necromancer . For example, LB's hound archon would indeed have been a bit of an issue.
Unread 2nd of June, 2008, 12:29
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Alright, on to other questions,

Yes, I've been holding my cards close and tend to do that sometimes. I'm having so many options in front of me, that I'm overwhelmed right now to be honest. I'm pretty character (personality) oriented, and making a match that fits with the ideas that have been presented has been giving me a headache. So I figured I'd make the above post asking for any input before I close in on that idea.

What I like and look for differs from campaign to campaign. But first and foremost I want to play and have fun. That seems obvious except that it's not always. I feel like the GM has a hard balance in PbP -- stories can take months and months (even years) longer to resolve than thought, steering the group to the main storyline can look like railroading when it's really trying to save the campaign from a dead end that could waste valuable time, keeping players can be an issue, keeping a complex storyline is hard. I like mysteries and tend towards a detective mentality in making characters often, but that seems to be particularly problematic in PbP.... I'm just kinda thinking here, and getting wordy, so I'll try to say exactly what I like instead of the inherent issues.

I definitely like an energetic pace, but I would like to have a chance to live life in the real world as well as have games online. . I think we should decide on a loose posting pace that is agreeable to everyone ahead of time. The LB/CC/LG group tends to not check in over weekends and holidays by formed habit over years of PbP, is that cool with everyone?

Hmmmm.... I'm not a super crunchy player but am more about the story. I'll work the crunch to work for me, yeah, but they're just rules and if we digress into fighting about the rules of grass growing I'll zone out until we get back to the story. To that end, I've never been in a game where the DM rolls the dice. It kinda worries me about pushing certain rolls (I do have certain understandings with my dice....) but I can easily see where it will cut down on unnecessary debate. In general I find C to be an even handed, fair DM and know that if I do have issues he'll try to hear me out and explain where he's coming from so we can resolve issues. So yeah, ok, you can take the dice I guess.

I like a solid, stable group. I think we've tried pretty hard to recruit compatible people that will be reliable and strong roleplayers. I enjoy intellligence in players and PCs alike. I like to think out side of the box and be allowed to do so by both players and GM. Oh, and it's good to be assured people can keep OOC separate from IC. I think this group will handle that pretty well. In particular, I am not my character. (Even if I think my character is right.)

I think that covers it pretty well for now.

Last edited by LadyGlutter; 2nd of June, 2008 at 12:37.