Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Darken's Games > Rivalry

Unread 31st of October, 2005, 14:05
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Member: #1480
"I see. Well, that is a good starting point. Neither party wants to see the prisoner dead, and I assume neither party is interested in having the prisoner in the Queen of Aglarond's hands for a long period of time." Tamara turns to the Red Wizard. "What do you think of this proposal? Try to work without slavery, see how well it works for you, and then get back your associate after a year. Powerful wizards like yourselves undoubtedly can find alternate sources of labor, whether it be paid labor, magically conjured labor, or even labor of constructs."
Unread 1st of November, 2005, 00:53
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #1476
"If we can have the prisoner back immediately, then yes, we can discard slavery for Thaymount." The Red Wizard replies. "The nearby regions, while under Thayan control, do not normally receive additional laws governing their acts."

After much discussion back and forth, you have helped them settle the final arrangement. The Simbul will return to Thayan their captured Zulkir after one week, and the Thayan must, during this one week, prove that slavery has been removed from the Thaymount region. One of the standing Thayan incants an Arcanr word and Teleports the three away.

Light, is the lack of darkness.
Unread 1st of November, 2005, 03:49
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Not even saying goodbye...tsk, tsk. Those wizards have no manners. My talents are wasted on such people. But then, I suppose that this is to be expected from racists who dislike anyone who is not human.

Tamara breathes a sigh of relief. "Well, that was one of the more interesting negotiations I have been part of. I hope you are satisfied with the outcome. I believe it is preferable to killing the prisoner or keeping him confined for a lengthy period of time, which would probably result in rescue attempts made by the Red Wizards. Those rescue attempts, even if they fail, would likely result in nothing but needless casualties on both sides."

Last edited by Crazy Eben; 18th of November, 2005 at 07:40. Reason: Added thoughts
Unread 2nd of November, 2005, 00:41
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

"Of course, and for that I applaud your effort. That just leaves us the question of who you are, and how you are able to get in here. The second question is more for the person responsible for restricting access, so let's focus on the first question for now. I strongly recommend using your power of words here as you have displayed previously as security breaches like this will not be taken lightly."

Unread 2nd of November, 2005, 04:02
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Tamara nods. "I completely understand that. First of all, let me assure you that your guards are in no way to blame for this. I merely desired to talk to you, heard that you were busy in a negotiation that dragged on forever, and wished to accelerate the negotiation in order to help us both. I entered the room through the Ethereal Plane; none of your people could have prevented that. As I said, my name is Tamara Shahin. I am currently on a mission for Tyr. He wants me to find the mythals and ensure that they are safe before anyone...well, like your Red Wizards for example, acquire that power. Should I keep talking or do you wish to call the executioner?" The Avariel smiles.
Unread 3rd of November, 2005, 15:32
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

Tamara smiles. "Very well, I shall go on then. I think I found one of the mythals...well, I actually found another one before that, sort of, underneath a forest, via various portals and guarded rather proficiently by a powerful undead that I accidentally attacked because the god of lies made me think he had become corrupted, whereas in truth the undead is a benevolent guardian, and an elemental being that acts as a key or doorway...but I didn't want to talk about that one. I went to Myth Drannor, found out that the city and the earth beneath it had at some point been flipped, located the ruins of what presumably was the previous city a few miles underneath the current ruins, and found some strange things."

"In the vicinity of a crushed tower I found these bones," Tamara starts pulling bones out of her pockets and puts them on the table, "as well as these rather poorly preserved documents." Tamara carefully puts the poorly preserved documents on the table. "Nothing else in the buried city seemed remotely interesting, so I decided to focus my investigation on these. Anyway, I tried to use some contacts to learn more, but they were either unable to come up with answers to a lack of knowledge about this plane or were people I didn't want to ask because of trust issues. I know that anything concerning the mythals is very sensitive and I am very careful about who to trust, considering how many mo...people are easily corrupted by power.

"That's why I came to you. Well, I actually tried talking to Elminster first, but couldn't find him and his abominable house thwarted my attempts to talk to him. Since I didn't feel like making the experience of being teleported a few miles into the air again, which happened when I last talked to the Blackstaff, I figured I should ask you." The Avariel folds her hands and smiles impishly.

The Simbul laughs, "Yes, those Wizards are very defensive about their homes... well, you obviously seem very capable in your task for Tyr and found out quite a lot already, including the unpleasantness of the Mad One. In any event, I must ask you to produce some solid proof that you are indeed carrying out Tyr's will. I am sure you know the significance of these recent occurance of troubles, and I cannot give you the help you desire. You have experienced the Mad One's tongues, thus you should understand my concern here."

Tamara nods. "I understand completely. I am also quite reluctant to trust people these days. How am I to prove that I indeed am working for him? Hmm...he brought me back to life once, after I was killed by the undead guarding the mythal. Does that count?"

She looks at you briefly, and you notice her eyes change colors rapidly from black to blue, to red, to white, to gold, then back to black. "Well, you have fairly impressive defense that simple spells cannot bypass. I would not ask you to remove these defenses, but since I cannot investigate about you directly, I ask you to perform a simple matter: bring a Cleric of Tyr to me capable of channeling at least the forth order of his deity's power, and inquire Tyr directly of you in my presence. Such will be sufficient to satisfy my doubt, as even Cyric cannot intervene and inject his lies this way."

Tamara smiles. "You should be careful about using such spells on me. My previous...work required me to develop certain defenses against divinations. In addition, there is the problem that you may not be able to trust a cleric that I produce. I...I think you should know a little more about me." The Avariel smiles faintly. "I am not truly an Avariel. This is a disguise. In fact, I am not mortal at all. I am a celestial descended from the heavens to assist the bumbling mortals in their misguided quest for power." Tamara chuckles. "Im sorry, I couldnt resist that one. Please dont be alarmed, but I was...well...am...a demon. A Succubus, to be more precise."

"Yes, I used to be extremely evil. Not too long ago, something happened to me. I encountered a paladin of Tyr who exposed me to a helmet of opposite alignment. It...slightly...changed the way I see the world. After brooding and crying about all the things I did, I went out to do some good in order to attain some measure of...redemption. Tyr guides me on this path. Finding the mythals and making sure they are save is my first task." The Avariel looks at the queen. "Now...how shall we do this? If you have any clerics of Tyr in town, they could confirm everything I just told you."

"Hmm... you have an interesting life indeed." She seems to be less surprised than you would imagine with your bizzare story. "Well, as I've said, a Cleric of Tyr would suffice. While there are indeed means to temper with this evidence, I have methods that can ensure the validity of Clerics. There is a temple of Tyr right here in Velprintalar, you can... hmph, forget about that, follow me." She grabs your arm, and incants a short Arcane word that is the spell trigger for the Teleport spell, and gives you a quick glance to accept the transportation.

You arrive outside a small temple of Tyr, and the Queen leads you inside. Pointing to a nearby acolyte, she snaps her fingers, "You there! Who's the head priest here? The Queen demands his or her service!" She speaks dramatically, then laughs. Shortly after, a man hustles out from the backrooms. "Grannan at your service, my Queen; how can I help you?"

She points to you, "This Elf claims to be a servant of the Maimed One. I need you to confirm such claim and seek your patron's insight."

The priest bows and begins his casting immediately, which you spellcraft as a Commune spell. The Simbul also begins to scan around the area slowly, and her eyes turns to the white color you previously observed. After a few minutes, he replies, "Yes, my Queen. Our Just Lord indicates that this indeed a servant of him."

"Very well, thanks for your help." Without waiting for a reply, she takes your arm again, and Teleports the two of you back into the meeting room. She tears at her messy hair as she walks back to her chair. "Alright then, have a seat. I can give you a compressed version of the story."

"I believe there's no need to introduce Karsus to you with all the recent talks; even a child can give you Karsus' life story. In short, this powerful but sad Arcanist, accomplished his dreams of reaching the powers of the Gods. Being a spellcaster, he naturally selected the previous incarnation of deity of magic as the target of his newly researched spell. His spell worked, successfully at that, but it also has some additional effects."

The Queen picks up one of the larger bones and waves it slightly. "This was him. He acquired the true power of a Divine being, but his mortal body cannot sustain such power; the sudden surge of power easily caused him to, for the lack of more appropriate and descriptive terms, immolate and explode. The powerful magic slayed everyone in the city, erasing their existence, but somehow preserved Karsus' body and those immediately next to him. Perhaps it's his last will to have this done as an example of what not to do."

"Of course, with the original Goddess of Magic dead, and the new God of Magic, Karsus, also dead, there is no magic anymore. These magical society in the old days live on the floating islands created by sharving off the top of mountains, reversing it, and lifting it up into the air; with no magic, the process reversed, and crushed everything deep into the ground. The new incarnation of Mystra decideds to move the evidence from its original location to the underground of Myth Drannor for reasons beyond our understanding, which is where you found the crushed city. Perhaps it's because she wants the Mythal that was used during the casting process to be as far away as Karsus' original Study as possible, and even as a Divine being she has her limitation of powers."

Unread 3rd of November, 2005, 18:12
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Tamara nods, absorbing all of the information. "I see. Mortals never did know what to do with power." She smiles. "Present company excluded; you seem to handle your power quite proficiently. So...I dug up Karsus himself. What should I do with the bones? Take them back? Hide them somewhere else? What about these documents? Are there useful in any way? Dangerous? Lastly...what about the mythal in Myth Drannor? Is it safe? Is there a way for me to destroy it for good? Too many people know about its existence and they will only keep trying to acquire it."
Unread 4th of November, 2005, 00:45
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

She sighs, "These Artifacts are indeed as powerful as they are rumored to be, with no easy method to destroy them; they are created when ancient magic can rival the powers of Gods, how else do you suppose they have remained for so long? As for the bones, do with them as you wish. His soul had been utterly ruined, there's no chance for him to make use of these bones anymore."

"The documents are nothing more than Karsus' maddess in his own research journal. While they are already in pieces, I would keep them at a safe place, as it details, if anyone can somehow decipher this puzzle, the usage of Mythals in spellcasting and magic crafts, and even the creation of them.

Unread 4th of November, 2005, 03:09
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

"Hmm...I should just keep them in one of my hidden pockets, then. Or I'll leave them at a random place several miles underneath the surface. Based on the two mythal locations I investigated so far, that is a very common and good hiding place. Fortunately, not everyone who searches for these things is capable of dwelling on the ethereal plane for as long as she desires and can turn herself into an Earth Mephling to dig out things she finds while ethereal." Tamara winks.

The fake Avariel then ponders the Simbul's words. "You said...no easy method to destroy them. So...there is a way that you know of?"
Unread 7th of November, 2005, 14:57
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

"Perhaps I misspoke; let me rephrase it: There are no known safe ways of destroying them. Lady Mysteries informed me directly as well as several others, in rather discontinuous messages, that we should not attempt to destroy the Mythals or the spell. She is using all of her power to prevent further Divinations on these Artifacts as well as the other Gods from knowing this, and even us cannot communicate with her easily. Until we are able to get a clearly picture, I would strongly recommend against destroying them."

Unread 7th of November, 2005, 15:00
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Tamara nods. "I see. So, what should I do with the bones and the documents then? And what about the mythals that are known already? How can they be protected from those who would seek them?"
Unread 7th of November, 2005, 15:18
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

"Keep them with you then. I believe you have the capability of moving around rapidly; if these objects never stay in a single place for too long, it would be exceedingly difficult to track them down. As for the known Mythals, we are doing our best near Myth Drannor against the largest organized attempt for it. The one near Tethyr region is obscure enough not to be found, since Divination was already somewhat blocked when mortals attempt to seek out other Mythals; the one in the Wastes should be safe for now for the same reason. Nothing can be done about the one the Shade controls since Netherese times, as well as the one in Everska which is apparently taken by someone already. The one in Silverymoon is popular knowledge but has already lost all but its defensive capabilities, so persumably it will not draw attention like always. There is one more in existence, but even I do not know its location."

Unread 7th of November, 2005, 15:32
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

"Hmm...so many choices. You know, I've always wondered about the Shades. I dealt with a group of exiles that live on the Plane of Shadow before. Maybe I should go infiltrate their city and see about retrieving the mythal they have. Do you know anything about it? For example, knowing what exactly I should look for and try to steal would be a huge help." The Avariel smiles.
Unread 8th of November, 2005, 00:09
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

"That is a difficult question to answer. Mythals may have different properties and take on different shapes, be it a glowing ball of energy, a crystal-like cylinder, or something else completely different. The easiest way is to use spells or magic items that detect presence of magic; such method is quite inefficient and costly, however, as spells have extremely short range, while items that employ Divination magic lower than eighth-level magic will cause it to explode violently."

Unread 8th of November, 2005, 03:45
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Tamara chuckles. "Don't I know that. The stupid thing under that forest made my Wand of Detect Magic blow up in my face. Would those things...like a glowing ball of energy or a cylinder, for example, be something that I could touch and physically take to a different location."
Unread 8th of November, 2005, 06:57
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

"Mythals are generally designed as stationary sources of power, and as such they cannot be easily moved away. While it's possible to, say, dig out the grounds around it and transport it, it'll take quite sometime base on its size which can be quite large. There were some personal Mythals, but I doubt any of them still exist today."

Unread 8th of November, 2005, 08:01
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Tamara sighs. "This redemption thing is overrated. So many complications." She smiles. "So, if I were to attempt to go the Shades, what could I even do to their mythal? Can I disable it somehow? Steal it? Seal it?"
Unread 8th of November, 2005, 14:19
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

The Queen ponders. "If you can somehow get into the City of Shades and locate their Mythal... disabling and sealing would be out of the question, as the magic that powers it is stronger than any non-deific power known today. You can certainly try to steal it, but without experiencing it and observing the Mythal first hand, I cannot say anything for certain regarding methods to do so. I would guess with fair confidence that their Mythal is not a personal Mythal, and thus would be stationary; judging from their behaviours, they probably hold it in place primarily with magic rather than physical means. Perhaps something that radiates an Antimagic Field would help you bypass some of its defense."

Unread 8th of November, 2005, 14:30
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

"Getting into a city has never been a problem for me. It would, however, help me to know a few names that are common among the Shades. It wouldn't do to show up there and give them a name that no Shade would ever use. Antimagic is also something I can deal with...you wouldn't happen to have something like that, would you?"
Unread 8th of November, 2005, 14:44
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

"Most of them use names of ancient root, such as Luth, Dandal, Xaemar, and so on. As for crafts that radiates Antimagic Fields, yes, I do possess one such item, but it's for my own personal use."

Unread 8th of November, 2005, 15:04
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Tamara ponders this. "Well...if it is for your use...and I disguise myself as you when you let me borrow it...then, for all intents and purposes, you will be using it and thus it will remain an item for your personal use." She grins.
Unread 8th of November, 2005, 15:15
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

She shakes her head and her messy hairs jump about. "Let's not push your luck here. Your cause is noble and all that, but maybe it'll be even more noble if you actually work to acquire what you need instead of just asking around to borrow things for free."

Unread 8th of November, 2005, 15:45
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

The Avariel chuckles. "Heh, you can't blame a girl for trying. Besides, I do have one scroll with the Antimagic Field spell. I suppose I could purchase a second one, just in case. Assuming that I got it out of the protections and it's too big to teleport with me...do you think a Shrink Item spell would work on it?"
Unread 9th of November, 2005, 13:55
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

"Again, that would depend on different types of Mythal, but the chance of it actually working would be slim to none. If you wish to use magical means to interact with it, a save bet would be to use spells no less than eighth order."

Unread 9th of November, 2005, 14:13
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Tamara shudders. "Eww. I don't have any of those. And the scrolls are expensive. I suppose I can see what the situation is and then get any objects I might need. Tell me, do you have any idea where I could learn a little more about Shade society. It helps to know basic things, such as female names, the role of females in society, and social customs. Although I don't know if such information has ever been collected by anyone. Hmm...maybe I should write a book on Shade culture..."