Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Rawrster's Games > The Flight of Icarus

Unread 14th of April, 2011, 07:02
Rawrster
Zombie [GM]

Member: #9203
Ok, just looked over all of the characters again and everything looks pretty good. We definitely have an interesting cast. I only saw one issue with zachol, you can't have your Screen Presence 3 episode during the first episode. All of the other episodes cureently have one character with screen presence 3, which means you are free to choose any other episode. While that means you will be sharing the spotlight with another character, it also means that that will be a pretty rockin' episode.

So it looks like we currently have an investigator, a pilot, a gun-for-hire, a robot, and a cook.

What will Toaster be doing on the ship? Is he the mechanic of sorts?

Also, we need to figure out who will be the ship captain.

I would like to have a couple of NPCs aboard the ship as well who I can use for plot/conflict purposes if need be. A medic seems like a good fit with the crew. Also, if Toaster isn't going the mechanic route, then a mechanic would be another good choice. If toaster is going the mechanic route then maybe a soldier type or some sort of trader.

I'd also like to flesh out some more details on the Icarus. How well off is it? Is it the top of the line ship or is it a bit run down? Does it favor speed or firepower? Does it have a lot of storage space or space to take on passengers? We don't have to map it out, though if you want to that is fine, but we do need to get a feel for its capabilities.

I would also like to start developing out the solar system we are starting in a bit. We can keep things vague and flesh them out as we need them, but number of planets, asteroid belts, major satellites or moons, things of that nature may be good to figure out. I am willing to do most of the work on this, but feel free to contribute as much as you like.
Unread 14th of April, 2011, 07:23
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Psychoclown said he'd be the ship captain. I think the rest of us sort of tacitly agreed.

My two cents on the Icarus - much like the Firefly and the Millennium Falcon, the Icarus needs love, care, and the special skills of its mechanic to keep it flying. Although it's run down, it also possesses some non-standard, after-market hardware that puts it in a class of its own. I would say that comes in the form of great speed and superior maneuverability, coupled with a fearless and skilled pilot, make it nearly impossible to engage in a dog fight or to catch once it's left gravity.

I like the idea of a space station on the order of the Death Star (in size, not armament) as a major hub that itself moves through the galaxy, particularly for clandestine meetings. I'll throw out a starting number of easily accessible and navigable planets at 15. At least one navigable asteroid belt within the system, and a larger, not mapped one farther out. Not to say no colonies beyond it in the galaxy, but at least at first they are small and rarely visited, experimental terra-farmers on the edges of known space. Which means, of course, that we have to visit out there at least once, navigating the heretofore practically unnavigable.

I think one or two main planets toward the inner part of the galaxy, with a few larger moons orbiting gas giants farther out. Nearby systems with only a planet or two that is habitable, leaving the home system as the oddball with five or six habitable locations within really short spatial distances.

EDIT - My two cents.
Unread 14th of April, 2011, 07:49
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
The Icarus should either have no weapons at all, or a really really shitty weapon. It should have ridiculously badass engines, but be falling apart and need constanat care and attention, like Merc says.

It should definitely have secret smuggling compartments, and hidden weapons' lockers for the crew.

As for the star system we start in.... I'm thinking a binary system, the primary of which is class F3, the secondary is class G6. The system will have 6 planets, in order:

a small terrestrial with low mass, tidally locked, no atmosphere (blown away). Essentially a Chthonian planet, formerly a gas giant.
a Jovian gas giant
a terrestrial (inhabitable)
a terrestrial (also inhabitable, has been terraformed)
another Jovian gas giant
an ice giant

Put an asteroid belt in between the third and the fourth worlds.

Last edited by Linklegacy77; 14th of April, 2011 at 07:52.
Unread 14th of April, 2011, 08:21
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
I was setting Cale up as the owner/"captain," though not the actual pilot (Mal vs Wash).
Cale owns the ship legally and manages the business, but doesn't think of himself much as the "captain" and dislikes giving orders. He tends to stay in the background.

The Icarus is a larger ship with minimal armament.
I was thinking it would have a bay that can fit at least two smaller frigates, and currently has one (maybe two?) with much better combat ability but only room for the one pilot. In cases where we need to take down someone in a ship, we use the smaller ships.
The Icarus is extremely fast and maneuverable for its size; ships that can support people for long periods of time generally don't "do" dogfights, but the Icarus can, which allows the crew and ship as a whole to be very self-sufficient.

Cale himself dislikes combat, which is why he goes more for courier or investigation jobs than mercenary ones. The Icarus focuses on getting places quickly and without much fuss.

Last edited by zachol; 14th of April, 2011 at 08:24.
Unread 14th of April, 2011, 08:49
Linklegacy77

The Icarus is a larger ship with minimal armament.
I was thinking it would have a bay that can fit at least two smaller frigates, and currently has one (maybe two?) with much better combat ability but only room for the one pilot. In cases where we need to take down someone in a ship, we use the smaller ships.
The Icarus is extremely fast and maneuverable for its size; ships that can support people for long periods of time generally don't "do" dogfights, but the Icarus can, which allows the crew and ship as a whole to be very self-sufficient.
I actually much prefer the idea of a smaller ship, especially since when the ship gets to be as big as you describe, the crew size has to increase too. I'm picturing it more in line as a modified cargo ship.
Unread 14th of April, 2011, 08:57
Rawrster
Zombie [GM]

I was leaning towards a smaller ship in my mind as well. It can still see it holding two smaller skirmishers or shuttles no problem though. If they are one-manners then they won't take up a ton of space. We could even say they are mounted to the exterior if need be, though I don't think that is really necessary.

I'm liking the solar system input so far. I can totally see habitats in the asteroid belts and one some of the Gas Giant moons and the like.

Also, I'm seeing Mercutio saying Psychoclown offered to captain and Zachol saying he is captaining. I don't have a preference either way, just make sure everyone is on the same page.
Unread 14th of April, 2011, 09:06
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

I don't think Psychoclown actually mentioned captaining, just piloting?
If he is going to be the captain, I'm going to switch some things around, make Cale much more focused on investigation. Right now I'm trying to have him be balanced for a sort of leader role.

As for the ship, I'm just thinking in terms of living space. Enough for five people to live comfortably.
Still "Serenity-sized."

Edit: I think I'm just really bad at explaining myself. Nothing that would require more than one mechanic or pilot.

Last edited by zachol; 14th of April, 2011 at 09:14.
Unread 14th of April, 2011, 09:11
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Yes, z, I think you're right. Piloting, not captain. z owns the ship, but PC flies it.
Unread 14th of April, 2011, 14:11
Psychoclown
Skeleton

Member: #9101
Cecil is the pilot, not the captain/owner. Though I imagine while in flight, he probably tends to want to assume the role of captain (since he formerly captained his own smuggling ship), perhaps to the chagrin on Cale. The mechanic role is primarly being held by Toaster, with Cecil adding his own efforts as well.

For the ship itself, I was definately thinking a small stripped down cargo ship with loads of modifcations and customizations that Toaster and Cecil have scraped and rigged together in a piecemeal fashion. It needs constant upkeep, repairs, and tinkering, which Cecil and Toaster handle together. It should definately an emphasis on speed and manueverability, but some weapons (mostly with the purpose of being enough to blast our way out of a hot situation, not for toe to toe combat).
Unread 14th of April, 2011, 14:16
Psychoclown
Skeleton

Member: #9101
Also, we should probably work out a little bit about how the existing relationships are onboard the Icarus. I see Cecil and Toaster working together a lot to maintain and tinker with the ship. Perhaps with Cecil making his own unorthodox, jerry-rigged modifications and Toaster having to come in and fix the mistakes or gaps.

Not sure how Cecil would interact with the rest of the cast. If Cale is a controlling type, I could see him and Cecil clashing over command while in flight. Once on the ground though, Cecil is generally content to play a supporting role. Any other ideas?
Unread 14th of April, 2011, 15:33
Linklegacy77

Carey likes everyone.
Unread 14th of April, 2011, 16:21
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Caleis usually a pretty hands-off boss. He doesn't mind the rest of the crew, but isn't particularly fond of anyone either. He'd probably be closest to Butcher out of anyone.
He enjoys flying small, single racing-style ships, but dislikes anything larger, including the Icarus. Cecil being the pilot is something of a relief.

Last edited by zachol; 15th of April, 2011 at 00:59. Reason: argh two names that start with "c"
Unread 14th of April, 2011, 22:11
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Butcher is a self-described loner, but finds that Cecil's way of thinking about jobs aligns with his own - the fewer times he has to kill people, the better. But he also is fond of Toaster, being that he doesn't have any qualms about killing people if it needs to happen. Butcher isn't immoral - he's amoral. His actions have no basis in morality. He does what needs to be done to accomplish jobs, stay alive, and protect his crewmates.
Unread 15th of April, 2011, 01:56
Linklegacy77

And apparently, everyone is indifferent towards Carey too.
Unread 15th of April, 2011, 03:40
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

I get the feeling that Butcher doesn't care one way or the other. He's not really interested in women and cares about food only so much as there's something to drink once in awhile and the food replenishes his energy.
Unread 15th of April, 2011, 07:52
Rawrster
Zombie [GM]

So the current plan is to actually begin at the beginning of next week. I would get things going this weekend, but I will be out of town for most of it. Between now and then I plan on putting some information in the Databanks section so that we will be good to go.
Unread 15th of April, 2011, 19:08
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #1510
Merc: May, eh? Might I ask the day?
little z: I remembered you were young. I had forgot HOW young. Also saying you were 12 when you were in your first 3ebb game made me feel old. I forget just how much time has passed since those days.
Rawrster: I assume you don't want to disclose what developer? Also, I was interested in Shadowbane when it was going to come out but lost interest after it did come out. ...not sure why. I remember hearing something about the game that turned me off, just cant remember what. At one point I was very into the development of MMOs and was considering employment at stratics.com.

Everyone: I've said it before but wanted to bring it up again. I typically will be posting Thur-Mon (morning). Its just sorta the time I have to do it.
Unread 15th of April, 2011, 20:02
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

As for input on the planetary system and such, I'm groovy with everything that was posted. I was more concerned with scope than specifics. In fact, I'd rather like to be surprised by what we find that flat out know it already. Plus I don't want to reinvent the wheel when the others have already put the required thought into it.

Toaster would generally take the role of mechanic (he doesn't have a lot of mechanicaly aptitude really, just his abilities come in mighty handy when dealing with it) and muscle. Being a robot he doesn't have the limitations that many flesh beings have while having the mind of a human (as far as most outside the crew of the Icarus know) he doesn't have the limits of many robots. Whats he going to do on the ship though? Well... I don't want him spending ALL of his time working on it or in the cargo bay sifting through the growing pile of mechano-junk. He has to save time to crack smart at the crew too. The majority of his mental time is spent trying to find upgrades for himself and the Icarus.

As for the Icarus I really like the Millenium Falcon feel as it seems appropriate for this type of crew and the jobs we will likely take. Plus...c'mon, the Millenium Falcon is like the coolest ship EVAR! I do like the idea of a sizable storage space and not just because our missions will likely require it. Thats also where much of my solo scenes will take place. ;P But honestly, having a nice work room and place to put a buncha mechano-junk that might "one day be useful...you never know" is good.

I like the idea of having space for a couple of frigates. In fact... I was thinking of a personal vehicle for Toaster much akin to the jet bike that Lobo uses or like the one from Megamind if you are familiar with either. Since Toaster doesn't have to deal with the squishyness of flesh he is free to be exposed to the lack of atmosphere and ride with the top down. It just seems so classy and just the kinda thing he would do.

Also... just an idea here: what about for a cargo bay we have an extra-dimensional storage space? Is that too far outside of the realm of this setting/campaign? Is it just too sci-fi for us to settle on? It would allow the Icarus to be smaller like most wanted while accomplishing the goal of having large amounts of storage space like we may need. Plus I can imagine holodeck like plot hooks forming from having one...just sayin'.

As for NPCs... I have about the same opinion as the planetary system: surprise me. A medic and/or soldier both seem appropriate as does a trader although I sense a possible conflict with my arch nemesis there.

So... Cale strikes me as kinda our faceman?

I'm just noticing that Magnificent and Toaster are very similar. Hm. Maybe its something pathological for me...

As for interactions maybe we should just post how we feel about each person? For Toaster's perspectives:

Cecil: He is handy and knows his way around technology likely more than Toaster himself (though he isn't about to admit that). Toaster somewhat frequently gets annoyed at Cecil's expectations for the ship especially when they don't meet with what Toaster's vision is. More often than not the conflict between them arises when Cecil makes some offhanded remark about "the Icarus being too grand of a name for this pile of junk" or when he starts slamming his fists on electronics in an attempt to get it to work better. "Nonono, you do it like THIS, fleshling!"

Butcher: Personality-wise Toaster shares the most in common with Butcher. He is the one that Toaster finds that he can speak on a level with and share thoughts that the others might not think very highly of. Truth be told they are both getting tired of the hard life ... and the life of the criminally minded. Nonetheless, old thoughts and habits die hard.

Carey: Jealous of her youth ...and the experiences her body can feel that Toaster is lacking. He is constantly trying to corrupt the youth to his way of thinking. Of course to Toaster he is thinks of himself as a life lessons mentor for the youth. One of his biggest secrets to the crew is that he is actually attracted to her. He fears their reactions if they find him out for obvious reasons (she is very young, he currently has a robot body, etc. ... it just wouldn't ever work out). Most think that he is taking more of a caring father or mentor role to her while secretly he actually deeply cares for her. (Kinda going for the treasure island feel here...but more creepy.)

Caleis: Mostly Toaster is indifferent towards Caleis. He respects him as a leader only to the point where he appreciates having a fleshling face man to interact with the other fleshlings that is required in their business. They tend not to react well to a devilishly handsome robot like himself. Other than that he is thankful to be a part of the crew and have a permanant home aboard the Icarus; both of which he attributes almost solely to Caleis. In fact, Caleis is likely the only one among the crew that he will simply bow his head and take a straight forward order from.
Unread 15th of April, 2011, 20:18
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Wow, that was a short book for a post. Didn't realize I was getting that wordy.

Also just wanted to post how I envisioned Toaster's ability working. I was hoping for it to be kinda along the lines of an actual transmuting type effect. He still needs a peice of machinery that does the job that he needs it to do but can fix minor wiring and mechanical issues simply by merging the broken wire together or reshaping the broken peice of machinery. He actually alters the physical makeup of the thing though. This basically allows him to instantly weld mechanical things and just sorta make them interface how he wants them too. I'm not explaining this well, I know. I'm having trouble getting my mental vision out in words here... maybe some other wordsmith here knows what I mean and can translate my thoughts a bit better.

...damned words...
Unread 16th of April, 2011, 00:49
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

"Caleis"?

Otherwise that looks just fine.
I could see some very slight reality-bending things going on in the Icarus. Maybe not as explicit as "extradimensional storage bay," but something like "I've looked over the plans and walked the ship and at some point this thing is bigger on the inside."
Might partially displace mass, which is why its so fast.
Unread 16th of April, 2011, 01:19
Linklegacy77

I'm not really a fan of the violation of physics with regards to extradimensional storage etc.

Mostly because I don't see the technology of the setting being advanced enough for that level of shenanigans yet.
Unread 16th of April, 2011, 01:32
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Ditto Link.
Unread 16th of April, 2011, 08:19
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Ahah, but it's not tech, it's the supernatural stuff.
The Mi-Go colonized Pluto a long time ago, and used Earth as a source of raw materials (the Mi-Go are the source of UFOs, Greys, etc). Sometime between 2030 and 2040, a small splinter group of Mi-Go decided human technology was advancing quickly enough for a more partner-like relationship to be useful, and began to interact "peacefully" with certain groups of humans.
The eventual fruit of this relationship was that humans acquired aspects of Mi-Go technology that allow for FTL movement to work. Mi-Go style FTL involves warping space and doing other stuff that doesn't actually jive with physics.

Long story short, the Icarus integrates several other aspects of Mi-Go technology that allow for this sort of silly business. Perhaps this is partially why Toaster is so useful; his alien mind is capable of dealing with the technology and fixing it to a degree, while a normal human mechanic would be unable to even comprehend how the Mi-Go tech interfaces with our own, let alone how to fix it.

Just an idea, though. We were going to have Mi-Go and other Cthulhu-style aliens, right? Warping space and time using non-human technology seems like it would fit with that.
Unread 16th of April, 2011, 08:25
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

I was supposing that that was what was on its way from outside the series - an entity at the reaches of the galaxy that begins to interfere with the way things work.

You sold me on the extra-dimensional spaces a bit, but I would then posit that the Icarus is only very mildly affected, such that it's imperceptibly bigger inside than out, to such a small degree that only people familiar with all the secret holds really understand its layout.
Unread 16th of April, 2011, 08:25
Linklegacy77

Yeah, but I don't like it being used for the benefit of humans or mankind, or commonplace enough to be in our spaceship. It should be freakish, alien, and downright frightening.