Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Rawrster's Games > The Flight of Icarus

Unread 11th of April, 2011, 01:55
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
I just looked it up, out of curiosity - scientists think there are roughly 500 million planets in the Milky Way alone that are habitable. Not likely run out anytime soon.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 08:05
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
Hey Rawrster, might Carey have a pet cat?

If so, would it fall under an edge or contact, or just be something extra?
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 08:54
Rawrster
Zombie [GM]

Member: #9203
Yes to the pet cat. It would be a contact if it will provide your character bonuses and the like in game and would just be an extra if it is there only for flavor.

As far as this whole galaxy thing.... I was thinking maybe something along the lines of travel throughout the galaxy is possible, but it is also rare and expensive and your ship doesn't have these capabilities. So keep the game itself set in a single solar system while still allowing influence from further away to leak in from time to time.

This would essentially allow us to "start small" (assuming an entire solar system is small), while giving us the option to open things up a bit later on if we feel the need to.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 08:57
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
See yeah that's what I wanted. Heck even a single planet is full of stuff.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 09:14
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Fair enough. Just realize that in any one solar system, you'll be lucky to have one inhabitable planet.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 10:02
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Maybe a small group of stars?

I guess I personally have a hard time "getting" a setting where there are 500+ inhabitable planets. Star Wars (and Star Trek to a lesser extent?) have always both seemed bizarrely large, and you get this feeling like each planet is limited to a single city.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 10:05
Linklegacy77

How about limiting it to a single star cluster?
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 10:45
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Star Wars does take place with lots of worlds, but how many of them do you actually visit during Episodes IV through VI? Tattooine, Yavin, Alderaan, Hoth, Dagobah, Bespin, and Endor.

Even over all six movies, they visit less than 30 planets.

Over the series of Firefly and the movies, they visit more than 15 planets, with another 20 or so in the books and comic books. But they claim that's just one solar system - which is unlikely, to say the least.

Again, no need for warp or other FTL (faster than light) drives if you stay within a system (although you severely limit the number of planets that are habitable) OR within a galaxy. At speeds approaching 1/2C many of the systems in a galaxy are traversable in a period of weeks. This is perhaps getting too technical, really, but check out the star map I created for the galaxy of short stories I'm currently (sort of) writing. http://issuu.com/Mercutio/docs/planets
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 10:55
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Originally Posted by Mercutio # Star Wars does take place with lots of worlds, but how many of them do you actually visit during Episodes IV through VI? Tattooine, Yavin, Alderaan, Hoth, Dagobah, Bespin, and Endor.

Even over all six movies, they visit less than 30 planets.
Maybe what I'm trying to say is that I never really understood why this is the case.
Bluggh whatever. Doesn't really matter.

Edit: Also I guess I keep saying I guess and I guess it's really irritating probably.

Last edited by zachol; 11th of April, 2011 at 10:57.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 11:10
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

My worry is not that we'll lost sight of reality (far from it), but that if we limit ourselves to 4 or 5 planets, there isn't much to be done.

The concept of Space Western (Star Wars and Star Trek both are), was one city per planet, but dozens of cities. It allows for the "Marshal" to track the "Outlaw" from Kansas City, Kansas, to Deadwood, South Dakota, to Virginia City, Montana, to Delamar, Nevada, to Tombstone, Arizona.

My fear is that bounty-hunting or covert smuggling takes places only between 4 or 5 worlds in one planetary system, which would arguably have enforcement forces since routes between 4 or 5 places are easy to predict. Whereas routes between dozens of places becomes nigh impossible to actually police, so it makes for more plausibility that we could fly the Icarus with minimal police encounters.

Does that make sense? I think you're fear is crippling by too many options and mine is crippling by not enough.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 11:33
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Yeah that makes sense.

As long as the feel is close to Firefly I'm happy.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 12:06
Rawrster
Zombie [GM]

Link's suggestion of limiting it to a star cluster sounds like a good compromise. Also, there are ways to make normally uninhabitable planets populated. You could chalk it up to something as complex as atmospheric engineer to something simpler like habitable "bubbles" on an otherwise uninhabitable planet.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 12:12
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #1510
I said "galaxy" but meant "solar system". *shakes head* I know the difference, it was a silly mistake. I was saying it in responce to little z saying he would prefer it limited to a single solar system which seems too small to me. One star cluster, a quadrant of a galaxy or something similar seems about right to me. Just my opinion.

Terraforming is an interesting topic to me, btw.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 12:46
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

See to me, we've at least got Venus, the Moon, Mars, and probably also Europa, Ganymede and Titan. If not full terraforming, at least some kind of "bubble" deal.
That plus artificial stations and bases on non-habitable planets or satelites, as well as only very slow FTL and the early stages of electronic warfare, plus underfunded police, means that patrolling and tracking down people could be a massive pain.

*shrug*
Or something?
Maybe I watch too much Cowboy Bebop.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 12:53
Linklegacy77

Well, we could do it Starcraft Style, and have the entire thing take place in an entirely different sector of the galaxy, which is similar to what Firefly did. Some worlds are really developed, others aren't so much. Regardless, Earth exists, but we're nowhere near it, and couldn't really care about it.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 12:59
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Yes, that.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 14:08
Psychoclown
Skeleton

Member: #9101
I'd like to a large cluster of stars or a region within a galaxy. As others have said, a single solar system is realistically going to have one or two inhabitable planets. And inhabitable planets are the key because I'm sure we all want to experience different alien species and cultures, not just a bunch of human bases on otherwise unhabitable planets. Being set in a large cluster or a region gives us lots of potential planets and cultures to explore, but not too much that it becomes overwhelming with the need to create an alien species of the week.

And I have to say, I really like the idea of being set on the "Outer Rim" of the galaxy. Some sort of lawless, no man's land, away from the main governing power(s) of the galaxy.

Rawster, if you're open to some player created stuff, I'd be happy to come up with some background details for the the galaxy and our local setting.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 14:10
Rawrster
Zombie [GM]

Yeah, I would see it being outside of our own solar system.

Also, space stations orbiting planets can add to the amount of habitable regions as well. I was reading a book by Alistair Reynolds recently and he had a planet surround by something called the Glitterband which was essentially a collection of 10,000 spacesation-like habitats orbiting a single planet.

So, we definitely have a lot of options open to us within a "small" region of space.

On another note, expect me to start tossing up my Rules and System Mechanics in the Reference section tomorrow.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 18:04
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #1510
Rawrster: I think what you are describing is a Dyson bubble. Again, other topics I'm very interested in.

I await your rules with baited breath as I've never played this system before.

Also, most of us already know eachother due to ...oh god, how many years have we known eachother now? ... I feel old. Anyway, we been around some boards with eachother. I don't wanna get all personal but maybe tell us a bit about yourselves Psychoclown and Rawrster?

For my part I'm a 31yr old Italian/Native American gamer geek with long (graying) hair in a pony tail. I have a wife and son and live in Lansing, MI. I currently work for a large hospital as a Tech Ops. I am a guildmaster of my own guild in WoW, I play M:TG every Friday and have a Pathfinder game that I am running on Saturdays that I play with some friends and my son (something I've wanted to do since he was born!). Doombot whom you might see around here lives in the same city as me. We have hung out on occasion but its been a while since I've seen him in real life...something I plan on remedying soon.

Mercutio, Doombot, Treehouse, zachol, myself, BlackPlauge, Jackelope King, LinkLegacy77 and many others of us all used to frequent 3rdedition.org back when it was up and then dragonavenue.com after it changed it's names. Several of us were moderators/contributors to the site. We also came here and have sorta drifted together for a long while now.

...also treehouse has problems growing facial hair. ...which is hillarious.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 22:02
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

The intro is a decent idea Lune. I'll get to mine in just a second.

What PC pointed out is that travel within a solar system is almost always going to be accomplished by one race of beings, especially since even one naturally habitable planet per solar system is somewhat rare. Space stations and new colonies attempting to terraform a planet within the same solar system is likely to be done by the same species that has risen to dominance on its planet. That's actually part of the reason Firefly has no aliens. Which is fine, but I thought the idea was also a bit Star Wars/Futurama supporting extra-human beings. Again, I'm not really trying to make it scientifically valid (interstellar transit in real life is nearly impossible, at least not without some serious complications from relativity), just somewhat plausible. In any case, I've said my piece on it.

I'm also 31 (turn 32 in May). I'm married and have two kids (daughters). I'm currently teaching college English as an adjunct and hoping/searching/desperately seeking full-time employment teaching English at either the college or high school level, but there just aren't any jobs in New Jersey now. I'm an active poet, publishing poems in small press journals several times a year and currently working on a poem a day for April, which is National Poetry Month. My goal is to have enough poems come out of this month to group with a bunch of others I have and to try to send out a cohesive transcript for publication by the end of the year. In addition, I am (slowly) writing a collection of linked scifi short stories in the vein of pulp fiction. I've been roleplaying since I was about 9, and seriously doing it since high school.
Unread 11th of April, 2011, 22:47
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

I think I've already said what I have to say, to excess. I'm also realizing people are going for a larger setting in general (like more aliens) than I'd thought.

I'm 22, male, only slightly overweight, with long hair and a beard. I'm a philosophy major at Macalester, a liberal arts college. About to graduate (assuming I manage with grades). Currently trying to figure out what to do for the next year, actually. I'm probably going to end up teaching ESL.
I'm also hilariously antisocial and have always had difficulties getting into f2f gaming groups. 3ebb and ORP have had all my long-term campaigns, pretty much. I started with a game on the 3ebb when I was like 12 or something.
Unread 12th of April, 2011, 01:06
Linklegacy77

I'm 26, married, and have no idea what my ethnicity is, as I never really cared enough to find out. Just caucasian I guess. I live in Massachusetts, and I've been career hopping for a while, I currently teach high school physics, algebra and calculus. I too am a guildmaster of my own WoW guild like Lune, and I also play MTG, although not every friday, and mostly use a free online program called OCTGN for it.
Unread 12th of April, 2011, 05:22
Rawrster
Zombie [GM]

I turn 24 later this month and I just finished Graduate school in December. I am a Designer for a video game developer in Dallas, or at least I will be once I start in a couple of weeks, I just got the job.

I covered my gaming history pretty well in my opening post. I play video games pretty often (no surprise there I'm sure), but really haven't been into MMOs since Shadowbane (but I LOVED that game). I know quite a few guys working on The Old Republic though, so I may give that a shot once it comes out. I used to play MTG quite a bit in undergrad, but stopped because it is a money sink, haha. I loved playing booster draft though. Most of my serious playing was between Ravnica (great set) and Shards of Alara, though I wasn't quite as active in Lorwyn. I recently bought the Duels of the Planeswalkers PC game and play online there from time to time.
Unread 13th of April, 2011, 13:14
Linklegacy77

So what precisely should we be doing now, lord GM?
Unread 13th of April, 2011, 13:35
Rawrster
Zombie [GM]

I've got most of the major rules up. Look over them and make sure everything is clear. I have a few more minor things I'll be covering tomorrow and after that I'll start moving us along the path of actually getting this thing started.