Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > treehouse's Games > Age of Worms

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 11th of December, 2009, 04:36
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
Scipio23 [Kellen Kor]

[placeholder]
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 11th of December, 2009, 05:02
Scipio23's Avatar
Scipio23
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Member: #7783
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 113 (0.04 per day)
Kellen left Eligos's manor and made his way through the city. He scanned the crowds as he went looking for a tail. He arrived at the place where the strange illusory figure warned the group of the Golden Eye, since this was where he was contacted by the Shadowbane.

[Spot Check of 21 ]

Confident that he was not being watched, Kellen slipped a piece of chalk out of his pouch. In the alley, where he first was contacted, Kellen marked a coded message in Shadow Cant. The message is a time and place to meet. The location is the Traveler's Rest tavern one block East of the Crooked House. The time is midnight.
__________________
Tekeli Li! Tekeli Li!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 18th of December, 2009, 09:01
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
Kellen had little trouble evading curious eyes, and he didn't even believe he was being watched. He etched his message into the wall, pleased that it looked less like a coded message and more like graffiti, and walked away without looking back.

[assuming you wait for a contact at the Traveler's Rest]


The Traveler's Rest was not nearly as well kept as the Crooked House, despite its more solid foundation. But it was dimly lit, and crowded even at midnight due to the heavy gambling and drinking that was tolerated here. Kellen blended in easily and waited, staring at stains on the wooden surface of the small table he had chosen. He didn't shift in his seat, drum his fingers or give any other sign of impatience, nor did he scan the crowd for a familiar face. His sect functioned in cells out of necessity, and he had never had reason to contact a cell in the Free City.

The chair across from him scraped against the flagstone floor as someone shifted it to sit down. Kellen looked up after a moment.

"Mind if I sit here? I'm waiting on someone."

The white-haired man had an ill look about him, but his hands were discreetly flashing in the secret hand language that they both shared.

<You are a hair away from being exposed, and one of your companions has almost certainly been replaced by a doppelganger.>

[I am for some reason recalling that we decided Shadow Cant was a versatile language, with spoken, written or somatic versions of most words. Is is okay to go with that assumption? Otherwise I'll rewrite the hand language part]
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 18th of December, 2009, 09:47
Scipio23's Avatar
Scipio23
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Member: #7783
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 113 (0.04 per day)
Kellen replied, "I don't mind at all. This place is as busy as I heard. Are you here for the games?" As he spoke, the simple hand gestures gave his true message.

<We found the dopplegangers, and we believe the cell has been rooted out. The group behind the shapechangers however eludes us still. What can you tell me about the contract put out on me and my group?>

[Sounds good to me.]
__________________
Tekeli Li! Tekeli Li!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 18th of December, 2009, 14:55
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
He smiled vaguely. "Do I look like I have two coppers to rub together? No, no, I am here to see a debt collector...it's better to meet that sort in a place with witnesses."

<The doppelgangers are destroyed? We have been tracking their activities for months now, but saw no opening to strike. You and your companions are more formidable than I believed...>


His eyes narrowed suddenly in a way that Kellen found familiar. The older man was almost certainly trying to find the taint of evil on him. What he saw must have reassured him, because after a moment his hands continued flashing.

<The doppelgangers were assassins and spies, but we have no idea who they get their orders from, if anyone at all. You believe a contract was put out on you? Do you have anything that pointed you towards that assumption?>
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 19th of December, 2009, 02:11
Scipio23's Avatar
Scipio23
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Member: #7783
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 113 (0.04 per day)
Kellen smiled at the older man's remark, "Everybody owes someone something, no?"

<The shapechangers were working for an illithid master, who did not survive. We have evidence that I will turn over to the Shadowbane. The famous Loris Raknian is tied in with the cult we are chasing, and he put out the contract on us. We are looking for an approach to get close to Raknian. Any ideas are welcome?">

Kellen said, "I should by you a drink. It may make the dealings with the moneylenders go easier."

Kellen glanced around the room looking for anyone paying too much attention to the conversation.

[Kellen rolled a 20 on his spot check and a 26 on sense motive.]
__________________
Tekeli Li! Tekeli Li!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 19th of December, 2009, 03:14
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
He held up one hand apologetically.

"I quit the drink years ago, cost me a marriage and more. Do appreciate it, though."

<Raknian is a known threat to the Shadow Bane; we have linked multiple murders and conspiracies to him, but law enforcement in this city will be completely uncooperative of any attempts to bring him to justice unless the public turns against him. Be wary - his security network is deep and brutally effective. He uses diviners to gain awareness of immediate threats, and his private guard doesn't bother to ask questions of intruders. His personal lieutenant, Captain Okoral, has a...history with our organization, and he knows all of our methods and tricks. We've already lost two of our own in attempts to infiltrate the Raknian estates. You'll need to come at him sideways.>

[you don't think anyone is paying much attention to you. Do you want me to keep this thread private or open it up for viewing? The others might enjoy the read, but I'm not sure how much of the Shadow Bane stuff you want to keep secret.]

Last edited by treehouse; 19th of December, 2009 at 03:18.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 19th of December, 2009, 04:35
Scipio23's Avatar
Scipio23
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Member: #7783
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 113 (0.04 per day)
"Personally, I thought being married felt more like a vise than drinking did a vice. We all have our demons though."

<That is good information. Perhaps turning the lapdog on the master (or the reverse) would sow the necessary confusion to get to Raknian. Any personal information you have on Okoral would serve us well. Does he have any extracurricular activities?>

[I do not mind opening up the thread at all.]
__________________
Tekeli Li! Tekeli Li!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 19th of December, 2009, 07:00
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
<Okoral was one of us once, but he forsook the Light long ago. I wouldn't suggest approaching him unless you are ready to deliver a killing blow. We haven't had as much luck watching his movements, but we believe he is completely loyal to Raknian, acting primarily on his orders now.>
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 19th of December, 2009, 07:13
Scipio23's Avatar
Scipio23
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Member: #7783
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 113 (0.04 per day)
Kellen continued his mindless chatter about the perils of drink and women making a point to gesture with his hands to mask the conversation.

<This is good information. Is there anyone else associated with Raknian that might allow us to get close to him without setting off his security forces? Perhaps in the gladiator contests? One of my group would excel in that sort of fighting if Raknian did not already know who we are.>
__________________
Tekeli Li! Tekeli Li!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 19th of December, 2009, 07:41
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
<I am not sure. You are well aware how skilled we are at rooting out corruption - Okoral has had little trouble purging Raknian's inner circle of enemies and lack wits. The gladiator contests are certainly an option, though you would need more than one. The exhibitions generally call for a team of combatants.>
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 19th of December, 2009, 07:54
Scipio23's Avatar
Scipio23
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Member: #7783
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 113 (0.04 per day)
<Well my companions can certainly fight as a team. We may pursue that angle. Thank you for meeting with me. I will get a copy of the information we uncovered while rooting out the shapechangers to you. It should prove quite useful. If you all need to contact me, I will check the North wall outside of this place each morning. As always bear the light in the dark.>

Kellen rose from the table and looked at the man at his table, "I hope your dealings with the tax men go well for you. Have a good evening."

Kellen paused for a response, before he left the Traveler's Rest.
__________________
Tekeli Li! Tekeli Li!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 19th of December, 2009, 08:06
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
He nodded at him in a friendly way.

"Take care, stranger."

<We will be keeping an eye on things. Call for aid should you need it in the same manner.>
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 02:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren