Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > treehouse's Games > Age of Worms

Unread 26th of April, 2010, 01:37
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
Ekaym relaxed, letting out a breath that he had obviously been holding while he waited for their response.

"I will be eternally grateful for anything you can find out about my sister. There are a number of specialized vendors in town right now - I will see if I can pick up some potions, scrolls and perhaps even wands to aid you in recovering from your exploits in the Arena. It'll be a delicate balancing act from here on out - those teams you crushed were good, but they weren't in the same league as you. The victors of these other match-ups almost certainly will be.

"The rest of today and tomorrow will be free time for you to explore. The Arena Wardens are strict, but they are (as I have discovered) easily bribed. If a patrol catches you unawares keep that in mind. I must go now, before anyone becomes suspicious of my visit - I am only here under the pretense of delivering your award. I will return tomorrow morning with some goods for you, though. We managers are allowed that much..."

With that, he stood, gave them all a respectful bow and let himself out of the room.

[I've posted maps of both the Coenby environs and the Arena Understructure, with places you haven't been to blacked out of course. You can find them here. Discuss amongst yourselves (in game or out of game) your first exploration route, decide a marching order and a means of moving about quietly, and we'll proceed.]
Unread 27th of April, 2010, 04:49
cthulhu76
Ghoul

Member: #7784
Khalavas looked at the maps laid out before them. "This secret door that leads to 'More Understructure' might be a good entry point to use."
Nobody... nobody trusts anybody now, and we're all very tired... there's nothing more I can do, just wait... RJ MacReady, helicopter pilot, US outpost #31.
--The Thing
Unread 27th of April, 2010, 05:06
Scipio23
Ghoul

Member: #7783
"I agree. Let us check that area first. I can scout ahead and turn invisible when necessary."

[Kellen has 7 rounds of invisiblity left.]
Unread 27th of April, 2010, 05:10
cthulhu76
Ghoul

"I have a feeling that your powers of shadow will be very useful to us in this exploration, Kellen."
Nobody... nobody trusts anybody now, and we're all very tired... there's nothing more I can do, just wait... RJ MacReady, helicopter pilot, US outpost #31.
--The Thing
Unread 28th of April, 2010, 01:35
Scipio23
Ghoul

"I would not be surprised to find something in the Titan's House as well. If everyone believes it is walled off and unused, Raknian would find it a useful place to store things he would rather not be found."
Unread 28th of April, 2010, 08:21
Mycroft
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #7788
Quince says "We will render that aid which is in our power but if you can impart any extra information about your sister (including what divination spells were cast to locate her) that would be helpful.
Unread 28th of April, 2010, 08:27
Mycroft
Unanimated Corpse

Qince who has seemingly been staring at a blank wall says oh yes I can cast invisibility too and haste if we need it.
Unread 29th of April, 2010, 10:32
treehouse

Before Eligos left, he answered Quince's question.

"We tried scrying, locate creature and even commune with no success."

------------------------------

Kellen had little trouble leading the party out of the Coenby without being detected by guards or fellow gladiators - everyone was focused on the next battle royale, which was scheduled to begin in just a few minutes.

Their first destination, the lowest layer of the Arena Understructure, was thick with the dust of disuse. Khalavas knew after only a few seconds here that there were definitely no regular patrols on this level.

Unfortunately, there was little of anything else. A set of ten enclosed spiral staircases wound upwards to the Service Level of the Understructure.

[Just to be clear, this circular hallway overlaps with the circular hallway in the map labeled 'Arena Understructure', and that map is dominated by the Service Level.]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg More Understructure1.jpg (43.3 KB, 2 views)
Unread 30th of April, 2010, 00:39
Scipio23
Ghoul

"There does not seem to be much here. We could spend a while searching for secret passages, but I think our time would be better served getting a good idea of the layout of the understructure. If Khalavas can move the stone plug blocking the Titan's House, we could go there. Or we can check out the service level. My vote would be for the Titan's House."
Unread 30th of April, 2010, 08:58
cthulhu76
Ghoul

"You might be right about the Titan's House, Kellen. Maybe we should check it out, if we're able to move the stone plug."
--The Thing

Last edited by cthulhu76; 30th of April, 2010 at 09:02.
Unread 4th of May, 2010, 10:32
treehouse

Again, they had very little difficulty traveling back across the Coenby to the tunnel that everyone said led to the Titan's House. Kellen still kept the group well in shadow - a certain amount of exploration was probably allowed the gladiators within the Coenby's environs, but he didn't want to draw unnecessary attention to their passage.

The tunnel south of the Coenby was unlit, though the sound of running water was quite audible somewhere in the darkness ahead.

[any light sources in the group? A marching order would also be good.]
Unread 4th of May, 2010, 12:34
Mycroft
Unanimated Corpse

Qince can cast light on something, he will be in the rear with the gear.
Unread 4th of May, 2010, 16:12
cthulhu76
Ghoul

[Khalavas can take up the very rear, since he's got a good speed. As I recall we usually have Darion go in front.]
Unread 5th of May, 2010, 00:19
Scipio23
Ghoul

[Kellen casts Light on Darion's weapon. Kellen will take the position behind Darion.]
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 00:51
treehouse

A brief, muttered prayer to Nola later, the Hand of the Conqueror was glowing with soft, clean light. Darion moved to the head of the group, his holy blade held aloft to banish the shadows before them. They proceeded slowly.

Around a bend and a hundred feet or so down the tunnel, they came across a shallow stream that flowed slowly east. Quince rather quickly deduced that it was probably connected to the underground reservoir in the center of the Coenby, which was in turn fed by the city's water system.

Past the stream, they walked another hundred feet and turned yet another corner. The only sounds were their own soft footfalls echoing off the tunnel walls into the darkness in either direction.

Abruptly, they reached a vast opening - a second cavern. Darion took a few steps in, waving his sword around in a quick sweep. Nola's light fell upon a massive stone silhouette with a mattock raised overhead, and Darion instinctively brought his shield up, shouting a warning to the others. When the figure didn't react to his reaction, he chuckled a little bit sheepishly. Only a statue...they had arrived in the Titan's House.

The cavernous Titan's House was much like the Coenby, though the dust of a hundred or more years of disuse covered every surface, and the air was very nearly stale. A dozen or so doorless rooms branched off of the central cavern, but they were all empty.

Another reservoir dominated the southeast corner of the Titan's House. Darion stepped to the edge - the water was deeper here. He thrust the Hand forward.

"I see the plug," he said in a low, coarse voice.

Indeed he did - a great stone cylinder was clearly visible on the far side of the reservoir, submerged under several feet of water.

[Scipio, if you can't see this map I have also attached it in the Handouts thread.

The stone plug is on the far east edge of the southeast body of water. The water seems to be about ten feet deep at that end, and the plug is about six feet in diameter.]

Unread 6th of May, 2010, 01:08
Scipio23
Ghoul

Kellen focused his thoughts and began scanning the large room for any signs of danger.

[Spot Check - 24 ; Listen Check - 28 .]

[Kellen uses Detect Evil. If nothing comes up in the first sweep, he will move into the room continuing to Detect Evil.]
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 05:45
cthulhu76
Ghoul

Staring down into the water at the plug, Khalavas makes a motion with his hand and speaks a word of magic, his eyes glowing very briefly.

[Khalavas casts Detect Magic, aiming the cone at the pool.]

"I'm a fair swimmer, and I might have a chance at removing the plug. If someone has a way to let me breathe water so much the better, but I can get down there holding my breath."
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 05:55
Scipio23
Ghoul

"I cannot help you breath the water (without a day's rest), but I can keep you from having to worry about the swimming part."

[Kellen has a Freedom of Movement available if the water appears difficult to navigate.]
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 06:11
cthulhu76
Ghoul

"If it's all water down there we'll need water breathing anyway, but we can at least check it out. Save your spell, I don't think this water looks too difficult.

[I have a Swim +10 unbuffed, my song of strength lasts 5 rounds after I stop singing, I think that will be enough time to swim down there and attempt to move it. I'll also rage, so my swim check will be at +14.]
--The Thing
Unread 15th of May, 2010, 01:25
treehouse

Khalavas had little trouble navigating the clear, still water of the underground pool. He dived down to where the stone plug rested, feeling the creases for something he could grip with his hands. The surface of the plug was fairly smooth, but after a moment he found some crevices that he could grab on to, if he wished to try prying the plug out. It looked quite heavy though, even for him.

[you can try a Strength check to remove the plug, a break check to smash it apart or you can just start dealing damage to it.]
Unread 15th of May, 2010, 05:52
cthulhu76
Ghoul

Khalavas quietly sang a song extoling the great strength of red dragons then took a gulp of air and swam down. When he reached the plug he let the rage take him. He grabbed hold of the plug and pulled with all his might, silently uttering a prayer to Bahamut as he did so.

[Current Str is 32, with armbands of might my bonus is +13. Str check = [roll0] ]
--The Thing
Unread 15th of May, 2010, 05:53
cthulhu76
Ghoul

[Dangit. I left off the 1 before the d20 and I think that screwed up the roll. 19
Unread 15th of May, 2010, 05:56
treehouse

[A 19 was unsuccessful. However, there isn't really any obvious penalty for failure here. Can you hold you breath underwater for two minutes? If so, you could just take 20...]
Unread 15th of May, 2010, 06:01
cthulhu76
Ghoul

[My song will run out in 4 more rounds and my rage will run out in 7 more, so taking 20 probably isn't a good idea. But I could go ahead and try 4 more times. Here are my rolls.

Hopefully one of those will make it. If not maybe we should just try to break it.]
--The Thing
Unread 15th of May, 2010, 06:03
treehouse

[none of those was quite good enough. Is your unmodified bonus +9?]