Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > Tournaments

Unread 31st of January, 2007, 05:54
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Gladiator Tournament II - Gladiator Stables

Alright everyone, listen up!

We've had a few withdrawals, so there will be fewer regular matches than expected, but the tournament schedule has been set.

Seeding was based on how well the crowd though you did in the Grand Melee, so if you don't like your match up you only have yourself and the crowd to blame.

Be nice! Also, remember that loser's bracket seeding will still be based on how well the crowd likes you at the time that you enter the Loser's bracket.

I will not! Now, if you haven't already, I highly advise that you get some rest and prepare yourselves for tomorrow. We want to see some blood!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tournament Bracket II.jpg (240.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Black Plauge; 29th of November, 2007 at 13:20.
Unread 31st of January, 2007, 17:51
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
After resting for the night, Coravel is up at first light and walks by the announcement of the seedings for the 1st real matches. He had not cared to look in the evening, having stomped off in anger at the trickery shown once more in the grand melee.

Del... oh, this is good. This will give me the chance to face him to the last. No running away for him now.

Patiently Coravel waits for Del to appear and then approaches him. Nodding his greeting curtly, he speaks his mind directly. "Del, it seems we have the... pleasure of facing one another today. I just wanted to remind you," his gaze wanders over to Fu, "to keep your wolf out of my way. I would not want to have to hurt him." With that he turns and stalks off only to turn around after a few steps. "Oh, and good luck to you. You'll need it."
Unread 1st of February, 2007, 06:21
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Member: #1477
Del returns Coravel's curt nod and listens to what Coravel has to say. "Fu has fought with me through many battles, he will be fine. May the best Elf win!"
Unread 1st of February, 2007, 06:57
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #1510
Before the Cloud of Death leaves the Arena he picks up his belongings and hands Del's blades back to him. In a voice that sounds like gravel crushing, "Truce over, elfling. I hope to face you in the tournament. Make sure you survive that long." With a busy evening planned he leaves the Arena. A dark carriage awaits him courtesy of Duke Soloth. The Duke didn't want him roaming the streets after all, and the carriage takes care of the smoke too.

Arriving at his inn room he orders his meal for the night. To his servant, "Bring me my healer. And a cow!" The servant quivers as a disembodied voice comes from the Cloud of Death. Not realizing that it could speak he responds, "Yes...uh, Cloud of Death, sir." He begins to leave and then as an afterthough he turns before leaving, "Uh...you mean beef, right?" A growl comes from the Cloud, "A cow!"

Minutes later the healer arrives and does his work. Just as the priest is about to leave the servant comes back with the cow...it didn't want to enter. And for good reason as before the priest and servant could leave a chain lashed out from the Cloud and wrapped itself around the cow's neck dragging it into it's evil depths. A painful, "Moooo!" is heard and then crunching.

The servant vomits in the doorway before he could leave. He goes to crawl away but is too late, "Bring whores!" In a quivering voice the servant responds, "How...how many?" The disembodied voice pauses, "Hm...five. And send one to that fool, Elgin's room as well. You have done well, here is your pay."

OOC: Please deduct the cost of 1 cow, 1 servant, the healing from the priest and 6 quality prostitutes.

The Cloud of Death will also attach a note written in red to the bag of gold he gives to the servant, "Hire dancing women for my event tomorrow. Have them accompany my carriage and dance before the match in the crowd. Have them wear flowing black." He includes the price of the dancers in the bag.
Unread 1st of February, 2007, 13:53
SlagMortar
Wraith

Member: #1853
Rakesh is feeling good after the grand melee though it ended in a bit less than glorious fashion for him. Rakesh cleans himself up and heals his wounds.

He arrives at the arena before the match between Del and Coravel, entering through the gladiator's entrance. He hears the sounds of revelry above and thinks, They must be very interested in finding out who I'll be facing. Moving in farther, he spies Del and Coravel finishing their conversation before the match. "Make it a good match! I'll be watching closely," he says with a smile before continuing up to the stands. He could have watched from the gladiator's section, but he preferred a seat in the stands to better understand the show from the audience's point of view, and the cheers that went up when his fans saw him were always nice as well.

*continue in spectator thread
Unread 7th of February, 2007, 14:11
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Yarden watched the elves fight without comment, but when the so-called Cloud of Death took the field he scowled and muttered a few choice words in Dwarven. Finally he marched over to a Tournament official.

"I would like you to tell me right now how you know that the gladiator inside that huge cloud of smoke is no larger than the limits this tournament have placed. I fought him in the Grand Mle and I can guarantee that he was at least 10' tall."
Unread 16th of February, 2007, 04:57
Boomlaor
Devourer

Member: #1478
Gork seeks out a rangers' guildhouse he heard of outside the city limits, and travels there with Peanut. With a heavy heart, he speaks to the large ape.

"Old friend, while your skills have helped me many a time over these years, I find that they are not adequate for the task I now face. If I am to triumph in this tournament for the cause of justice, I'll have need of other skills, and so with my profound thanks for your service these many years, I release you. Master thornleaf here will ensure you are taken care of, and the gods willing we will be reunited."

Blinking away tears, Gork hands Peanut one of the ape's favorite playthings. He seeks out another companion for use during the tournament, and if he finds a suitable replacement, and has time to do so, he begins the long process of prayer to cement the bond between himself and the new animal.

Last edited by Boomlaor; 26th of May, 2007 at 02:09.
Unread 16th of February, 2007, 07:42
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

OOC:
Wait...there is an actual stables?! Wait until the Cloud of Death finds out! Hehe
Unread 21st of February, 2007, 19:25
Tashalar

Coravel walks into the gladiator area with his head held high as usual and peering about in a haughty manner. Not saying a word, he sits down and starts polishing his treasured rapier...

After a few minutes he gets up and decides to watch the other fights, especially the one of the strange gladiator, The Cloud.

His arrogant smile is replaced by a deep frown as he watches the fight. To those sitting near him muttered words like "Trickery!", "Cheating!" and "Coward!" can be heard...

Looking over to Rakesh, he eyes him in a speculative manner. Too bad I cannot witness how his current form is... but I'll get to see soon enough.

Last edited by Tashalar; 21st of February, 2007 at 19:36.
Unread 3rd of April, 2007, 23:03
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

The Cloud of Death has not been idle in his down time between matches. As always he is hungry and has found a new select cut to add to his menu. Growling to his servant, "Manling, come. I have a taste for a new meat. Bring this to me, manling." A dagger flies from the Cloud of Death and sticks into the wooden framing of the door. A note is attached to it.

The servant quivers in fear and unfolds the note to read it. He knows better at this point than to doubt it's contents. He simply bows, thankful that his life has yet to be threatened. Taking a second look at the note, he shakes his head, briefly looks at the Cloud of Death and then runs out of the room after slamming the door.

An hour later the servant returns carrying a large bag full of...something. He hefts the bag and sets it down near the Cloud. A chain whips out of the Cloud and catches the bag near the top before jerking the entire bag into the Cloud. Enveloped as it is the gruesome crunching sound can be heard from within. The servant has learned to not stay for this part and instead has waited outside of the door.

An idea springs to mind for the Cloud of Death. He commands the manling to re-enter. He delivers another note in the same way. Before the tournament on the next day a delivery is made to the Cloud's room. He brings it with him. He also brings an extra wagon along with his black coach which he rides to the arena in.
Unread 4th of April, 2007, 22:46
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

When the Cloud of Death is finished with his bag of...whatever it was, he gives the bag back to the servant. "Deliver this now as the note requested." He throws the much lighter bag at the servant who catches it and begins gagging. Blood drips through the bottom of the bag.

About an hour later a delivery is sent to Elgin's door. It is the bag. There is no note attached and nothing else discernable to it. If opened by anyone they would find a bag full of weasel heads. The rest of the animal has been ripped free of the head...likely eaten.

Somewhere a disembodied laugh issues from a the Cloud of Death, "HA Ha haaa!"
Unread 18th of April, 2007, 08:58
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

Member: #1475
Oh, my aching sides -

Elgin's vision clears as he wakes up from another defeat.

Wait - why am I in the stables? I should be in the infirmary, or, more likely, bleeding in a ditch.

Elgin creaks up to a sitting position and looks around -

Ah, a match is going on and -

He sees the prone form of Yarden being carted into the stable, to be tended himself. He sees Rakesh relaxing, and heads in that direction. Nearing the inferno he glances up at the standings and sees that he's advanced.

I - I broke the tournament rules in my eagerness. How in Tartarus did I advance? Del took me down after he was healed -

He runs to Del's area of the stables -

Empty! -

Damn, now I have to do well. Anything less would be an insult to Del.

Grindle - come on, we've got some work to do if we're going to make any sort of showing.

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 18th of April, 2007, 10:00
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Del entered the stables immediately after the brief discussion with the judges. He quickly and efficiently packed his belongings.

"It is time to go my friend," Del said to Fu. "We have not made many friends here I'm afraid."

With Fu at his side Del disappears into the city.
Unread 18th of April, 2007, 10:12
SlagMortar
Wraith

Member: #1853
Seeing Elgin wondering what happened, Rakesh cracks a smile. "Yep, Del said you had him whipped and deserved to move on. He's right too. You certainly did a number on him. You've got your second chance, or third really."
Unread 19th of April, 2007, 01:26
Tashalar

Coravel watches Del quietly and with a blank expression as he appears in the stables to collect his things.

As Del is about to leave, Coravel steps up. "I fail to see the logic of conceding to one who has cheated... but you have made your decision. Fair winds, Del Holimion," Coravel says in a low voice. Inclining his head to the other elf, Coravel melts back into the penumbra of the stables.

Throwing Rakesh a single glare, he then ignores the half-dragon and strides outside to enjoy the last glimpses of the sun.

Last edited by Tashalar; 21st of May, 2007 at 17:13.
Unread 25th of July, 2007, 05:27
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Yarden is stunned for a moment after he hears of the match's outcome, then shakes his head in disbelief. This Brunhilda must be tougher than I thought.

This is by far the strangest contest Yarden had witnessed. Most of it he spent wondering what either of them were trying to accomplish. The Cloud seemed to be trying to run Brunhilda out of ammunition, something that was assisted by Brunhilda dumping her bag of rocks out right after he took her magic stone, and then just moved around trying to avoid Brunhilda and the Elephant.

Brunhilda on the other hand was even more confusing, and he could clearly see what she was doing! She released the Elephant, then kept flying down so that it could hit her until she finally killed it herself. She dumped out her rocks and then flew around doing who-knows-what. But obviously she managed to do some damage, the battle in the cloud at the end had been short.

As the gladiators come in Yarden moves to congratulate Brunhilda. "Well done! Though in the future you may want to stick to smaller animals as playmates!" Yarden said with a laugh. His smile faded some as he noticed the Cloud moving toward the stables.

Yarden would gladly have engaged in some good-natured ribbing, but the mysterious gladiator was as unapproachable as ever. He preferred to look people in the eye when talking with them. All he would get from the Cloud was an eye full of smoke.
Unread 26th of July, 2007, 08:47
Boomlaor
Devourer

Brunhilda laughs at Yarden's good-natured ribbing as the healers tend to her.

"Yeah, seems I underestimated how long that big boy's reach was, and how quickly he could move. No lasting harm done though, all's well that ends well, eh? I guess, in the end, I was just a bit too hot for him to handle."

The giantess laughs at her joke, loud and long, though no one else in the room more than cracks a smile at the painful pun.
Unread 28th of July, 2007, 00:34
Tashalar

Coravel actually laughs... although it comes out rather forced. Inclining his head to the giantess, he speaks. "Well, well... that was quite... astonishing?" Nodding as if to underline his words, Coravel eyes Brunhilda up and down. "I was quite surprised you lasted so long... and that it ended so quickly. A lucky hit I'd wager?" Turning to Yarden shortly as if to include him, Coravel then continues. "Tell me... what have you to tell me of our mysterious friend? Who... has such nauseating habits? Surely you want him out of this tournament as much as I? A little information on the tricks (insert derisive sneer) he uses could help get this cheat out of here... and soon. Very soon. Again Coravel nods and then regards the other two gladiators curiously.
Unread 28th of July, 2007, 21:39
Tashalar

When the news is broached that Coravel will not be facing the Cloud after all, he frowns deeply. "What is this? Can the organizers not keep track of the contestants appropriately?" In a low voice he adds "Imbeciles... all of them."

Turning to the other gladiators, he just shrugs. "Well, the fight might still come up. I'll come back to you if that is the case." With that he walks off, outside the 'stables'.
Unread 24th of August, 2007, 03:25
Boomlaor
Devourer

Happy to have an extra day of rest between matches, Gork once again seeks out a new companion. His eyes light up as he spots a powerful ape with a hint of silver beginning to show through on his back. He is elated when he discovers that the ape has already been trained exactly as Gork would have trained him for fighting in the arena, and he purchases him immediately. He locks himself into one of the training rooms with Gus, the ape, and the other gladiators are left only to wonder at the mixture of grunts and muffled chanting they hear through the door as Gork performs the ritual necessary to cement the bond between himself and Gus.
Unread 22nd of September, 2007, 06:55
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Yarden is as cheerful as ever in the stables that morning.

As he passes Coravel he laughs. "Seems you won't need my advise on how to defeat our smokey friend, Foom has seen to that. I for one will not miss his stench, and I'm not talking about that bottle of his!" Yarden waves a hand in front of his face for emphasis. "Now as for how to defeat Foom, my advise is: Don't get hit! But you should know all about that."

Seeing Elgrin readying himself for their match Yarden turns to address him. "Let's see if we can give the audience a good show. I think too many of the recent matches has been a bit of a dissappointment... Including my own!" Yarden laughs, "But can I help it if the Spiker thought underwater was my preferred environment?"
Unread 27th of September, 2007, 01:02
Tashalar

"Indeed, I do," Coravel replies with a nod as if to underline the fact. "At least Mr. Purple Pants fights fair... as far as I know. Too few gladiators do these days... bah! They don't even deserve the title 'gladiator'." Disgust permeates his words as he spits them out.

"So... I'll keep my defenses up this time. Let's see if he can touch me... my elven friend wasn't really successful at that." Nodding to himself and obviously totally disregarding the loss he had experienced against Rakesh earlier, Coravel gets ready to do battle once more.
Unread 2nd of November, 2007, 04:55
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Yarden greets Elgin once he makes it back into the stables. "Good to see you back on your feet. How about I buy you a drink?" Yarden slaps Elgin hard on the back. "You know, you were pretty good out there. If you just give up all that magic non-sense you could be a proper gladiator."
Unread 2nd of November, 2007, 12:17
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

Member: #1475
Elgin grins -

I'll admit, my magic failed me. Your iron skin, though, that's what won you that match. You could bathe in lava, Yarden!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 12th of November, 2007, 07:49
Tashalar

Spikey enters the stable in his normal, quiet manner. He does look rather pleased, but this expression vanishes as Gork enters. He nods at the freshly healed Goliath respectfully and shrugs... almost apologetically. Next he moves his hands and arms about shortly in a manner as if tying something up, then holds his arms to the side and shakes his head.

Nodding shortly at the assembled gladiators he passes, he slowly walks over to his bunk and sits down. Pulling a small can from out of a pouch hanging on the side of his bunk he starts to apply some kind of lotion to his spikes as he usually does after a match.