Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Cadrius' Games > Deadwatch Embers

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #26  
Unread 29th of July, 2004, 00:34
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.82 per day)
Aleina

"Yet you do not believe in signs."

If it wasn't a part of her past, then why the resonance with a name? It was something Aleina herself was used to. After all, the name Kingscross had resounded loudly enough in her soul that she went there with no idea why. Yet Aashya would be stepping on even more precarious ground. It was entirely possible - probable even - that Greenfield had some connection to her past. It was also possible that the people who had wounded her so grievously were there. With no memory of the event, she would not remember her enemies though they might well remember her.

"You are brave to set out so. I would like to help, but I don't know where we are destined to go. It might not be Greenfield, and even if it is, it might be long before we get there.

"You see, I do believe in signs. Things . . . come to me sometimes. So it was with my grandmother, I am told."
  #27  
Unread 29th of July, 2004, 03:48
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.56 per day)
Aashya

Signs......... Feelings......... Aashya is not sure that she believes in either one, really. The truth is, she had felt compelled to leave the gnomes and the river. She hadn't thought about it, or weighed her options. She'd simply said, "I am leaving", then left less than a day later.

"Brave? I don't know about that....." She hadn't considered the danger at the time, although Gylda and the others had warned her. "It seemed that I'd let the gnomes take care of me long enough. Could I have stayed with them always?" While she talks, her fingers restlessly play with the ribbons tied to the front of her shirt. She twists them together - blue, green, and yellow - then lets them hang free. "I never wanted them to find trouble on my account.

"And I've seen no sign of trouble following me, so you don't have to worry." She stops to look Aleina in the eye when she says this. "I hope that all that is in the past, behind me.

"As for what lies ahead....... I'll make it to Greenfield eventually, I'm sure. I don't expect you to help me find my way."

The gnomes had stories about strangely gifted individuals - they called them fortune tellers, and Gylda had even suggested once that they try to find one for Aashya. Perhaps if she'd stayed with them longer.......

"Things.. come to you. Signs, you mean. Really?"

Oddly, Aashya almost believes in the woman. Is it her eyes maybe? She finds herself looking into them now - crystal blue orbs that speak of hidden power.
  #28  
Unread 29th of July, 2004, 04:10
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.82 per day)
Aleina

"We are alike in that the Eren has made us strangers to ourselves."

There was strength in this slight woman; Aleina could sense it lurking beneath her uncertain exterior. There was, she thought, more strength than Aashya knew herself.

"Maybe signs isn't the right word. You know that the dark one is the only god left to this world, and that he resides here - in physical form - not in the afterworld. You must know too that the dead lie restlessly here. These things are related. The spirits of the deceased cannot pass to any afterworld, just as the gods cannot pierce the veil to affect our phsyical world. Those spirits surround us, severed from life but retaining some cognizance. Maybe it is simply that I can perceive some small bit of the collective conscious those spirits represent. Or maybe the border between worlds is thinner in some people, and in those cases the spirits find it possible to send messages. Much can be learned about the future from the past."

She stops near the area where she had slept, taking a seat on a small jumble of stone. Her finely shaped hands brush back her dark hair before she folds them once more within her sleeves.

"So, I know that you seek Greenfield and that you lived with gnomes. I also know that you believed us a part of some underground movement, yet you agreed to travel with us anyway. I have two questions for you, which may tell you something about yourself as well as whether or not you want to stay with us for any length of time. Do you despise the shadow? And do you wish to make a difference in the world?"
  #29  
Unread 29th of July, 2004, 15:14
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.29 per day)
Rhotha'ah

As the Dorn watches over the two women, listening in on their conversation, his own mind takes a little solace in the words spoken. A confirmation of purpose beyond his immediate goal, of something beyond this world drawing people together. He takes the porcelain amulet in his hands and looks over it, then towards the healer.

"Healer, my apologies for speaking so to you earlier when I didn't know the situation beyond the immediate as to why you sounded so defeated and resigned to your fate." Rhotha'ah says, his tone truly apologetic and washed with an undercurrent of his own remorse. "But, if you would leave us and not take our aid, there is one thing I must ask of you."

He shows the healer the porcelain mask, handing it to him. "My tribe was attacked only a week ago by men wearing masks of black porcelain. In your travels have you seen or heard anything of such men? Anything at all?" The Dorn's eyes contain both hope that the healer might know something of his attackers, and despair that he might not.
  #30  
Unread 29th of July, 2004, 21:33
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.56 per day)
Aashya

"Do you despise the shadow? And do you wish to make a difference in the world?"

"Of course I despise the shadow! But what can I do to make a difference?"

Aashya is caught off guard. It is one thing to travel with these people who, she had already decided, were indeed making a difference. But to work with them, to aid their purpose? That really would be dangerous! She shrinks from the idea, telling herself that there is nothing she can do to help them. What skills does she have?

Well, as she has recently discovered, she may have been trained to fight. Is it possible that in the past she had worked with people like these before? Agreeing to stay with them might help bring some of that back to her.

Most of what Aleina had said about spirits and collective conscious had been difficult to understand. But she seemed to be saying that she received messages from somewhere beyond the physical world. Perhaps in time the spirits would tell her something about Greenfield......

"I don't know what I can do to help you," Aashya finally continues. "But I'm willing to try."
  #31  
Unread 29th of July, 2004, 22:50
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.96 per day)
The Healer looks appeased by the dorn's, and Aleina's, words. Yet worry still lurks in the depths of his eyes. He stares, gauging them, and bites part of his lip in thought. Minutes pass before he speaks.

"I don't know why you're eager to throw your lives away, but I could at least use the company until I find my horse and patient. I'm rather" --he gestures to the plain staff at his feet-- "defenseless. There is one thing you should know," he says, turning his gaze to Dun, "if any asks for my aid, I am bound to give it no matter their allegiance. Such is the life of a healer. Although without my herbs I doubt I will be of much use."

He looks at Aashya, apparently having heard part of her conversation, and two emotions war on his face: cynicism and sorrow. She isn't certain she likes what either could mean. The man has clearly seen death, if his words are to be believed, and that could explain both. The sarcosan feels a slight twinge of regret for being so eager to jump into the unknown. Could these people ever really help her? Or did she abandon her chance at a happy life when she left the Eren?

Lyr dreams fitfully, reliving his flight from the astirax, and feeling its talons rending through the meat of his shoulders again. He twitches. The phantom wounds haunt what should be a restful sleep.

Dun's blood cools slightly. The Healer is an idiot, to be sure, why else would someone refuse such help? Do healers carry the weight of those they could not save? And what of those they put in front of the sword? The man is likely just being a stubborn fool, isn't he?

The dorn, Rhotha'ah, holds out the broken piece of porcelain to the Healer who takes it in hand and runs one thumb across the surface. He frowns, deep in thought.

"Maybe...I'm not sure. A raider, you said? Could you tell me more?"
  #32  
Unread 29th of July, 2004, 23:26
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.29 per day)
Rhotha'ah

Rhotha'ah nods his head, allowing the memories to surge forward but under his control this time. "They all were garbed in black clothing and wore black masks to cover their faces. I don't know if all of them wore porcelain, but the one from whom I cleaved that chunk off of his face did. We fought them off, but barely, and not before they stole women from my people."

He stretches his neck before looking at the healer once more. "I had tracked them south toward Kingscross, but from there, I found no information regarding them, as circumstances," he says, motioning toward his companions, "prevented me from gleaning anything of use from the innkeeper."
  #33  
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 00:01
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.96 per day)
The Healer's mouth twitches at the dorn's words, but nods once. He drops his gaze to avoid the man's and falls silent for a moment. Rhotha'ah cannot see his face, but Aleina and Aashya can. He looks pained and full of sorrow.

"Were there any others taken?" he asks softly, keeping his head bowed and focused on the mask. "If there were these black riders were likely looking to take slaves either north to the sea or south to the cities. If she was the only one...they would find other uses."

Lifting his head, the Healer hands the cloven porcelain back to Rhotha'ah.

"If you and your kin live, then they are not who I feared. Had the Red Reavers come across you...there would have been nothing left. Nothing recognizable. Yet they haven't left the Northlands, not to my knowledge. No, these black riders are likely nothing more than unsanctioned brigands. If they haven't been killed by orcs, and aren't headed to the slave markets, they're either looking for a new village to attack or are holed up somewhere...enjoying the spoils. I'm sorry for...for everything."

And he is. The dorn can see it as clearly as the tufts of blade grass. Shining past the sadness and bitterness is an empathy for Rhotha'ah. A moment later it's gone, lost in the murky depths of the man's eyes; the clouds of misery roll back in and extinguish the light.

"How long will your companions need to sleep? I don't like the thought of leaving that dw--patient alone."
  #34  
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 00:07
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.82 per day)
Aleina

She considers Aashya's words for a moment, thinking how much they echoed feelings she used to have. Even as she considers, though, the healer makes a comment that causes her heart to skip wildly.

He is only an herbalist? And bound to help the shadow as well?

From Stephen's comments, she had assumed that Lucien used more than just normal herb lore to heal. She had assumed he was a channeler, like herself. Of course, he might be lying to protect himself.

It was his other words that disturbed her more deeply, because it was a problem with which she had not yet been presented. What would she do if a shadow friend was in need of healing? Was she truly a healer if she would refused to aid them?

Almost absently, she replies to the woman.

"It is enough that you understand what it means to travel with us. As for what you can do, I don't even know what we can do. But it seems we are determined to find out."
  #35  
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 03:46
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.29 per day)
Rhotha'ah

The large Dorn's jaw clenches hard at the words the healer gives, not in sorrow or rage, but just because that is what they do when he is thinking of something, as if he locks his own jaw in place while carefully picking his next choice of words.

"Where is the nearest slave market to Kingscross?" He flicks a gaze to Lyr and his book, arching an eyebrow at the sleeping Erenlander, before turning back to the healer looking for answers he may or may not have.

Last edited by Kahluah; 30th of July, 2004 at 04:03.
  #36  
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 03:48
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.56 per day)
Aashya

Aashya is quiet again. She feels that she has just done something momentous, and needs a little time to think about it. I'm not really a tag-along any more, she can't help thinking. For now she stays near Aleina, but looks around at the rest of the group, one by one.

Ordinary people, except for their willingness to risk their necks to maybe change things a little. A scholar. A huntress. A warrior. She looks at the Erenlander called Dun and wonders... What is his contribution to the group? Lyr called him 'a man of limitless versatility', whatever that meant.

And then there is Aleina, the healer. More than just a healer, it would seem. Where did her gift of seeing things come from?

"Aleina, what did you mean a moment ago when you said that we are alike, you and I, because the Eren made us strangers to ourselves?"
  #37  
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 04:38
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.82 per day)
Aleina

This time the pause is longer, and in the silence she hears Lucien drop his grim news upon Rhotha'ah, who accepts it like the pounding of surf upon rock. She feels another stab of pain work relentlessly into her heart, to join it's brothers and sisters already secreted there. She wants to go to this fortress of a man and tell him that things will be alright, but young though she is, Aleina has already lived too long to believe that lie. Her voice is soft, sad even, when she answers Aashya.

"I fell into the river, and it swept me away. I . . . I am a poor swimmer and I could not stay afloat. I went under, and could not come up. What happened next, I'm not sure . . ."

There had been nobody around when she woke up, nobody to tell her for sure. But she didn't really need anyone to tell her, because in her soul she knew what had happened. She shakes her head.

"When I awoke on that cold shore, so did some other part of me. That is when my sight first began to manifest itself."

And I have not been the same since.

"I sometimes have trouble remembering what it was like, before. Almost as though I was a different person then."
  #38  
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 06:01
Berova's Avatar
Berova
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #453
Posts: 212 (0.04 per day)
Dun

Dun listens on to the conversations in silence, holding back, biting his tongue where he deemed it inappropriate to interrupt. He listened to the Healer, no, Herbalist, and the Dorn's sad tale of loss as well as Aleina the Channeler and the Sarcosan's story of being lost and of being awaken. He listened and weeped inside for their loss and for his though he could not come forth with his own tale.


I don't know why you're eager to throw your lives away, but I could at least use the company until I find my horse and patient. I'm rather" --he gestures to the plain staff at his feet-- "defenseless. There is one thing you should know," he says, turning his gaze to Dun, "if any asks for my aid, I am bound to give it no matter their allegiance. Such is the life of a healer. Although without my herbs I doubt I will be of much use."
Then what was the reason for the Hound's compulsion?! Dun wanted to shout out once more at the Herbalist. But in the end, Dun was resigned the Herbalist and he would never understand each other.

He would never understand why the Herbalist would even lift a finger to save one who had and would cause so much the torment and so many deaths. And the Herbalist would never understand why Dun would go out of his way to help those in need. Or perhaps they are not at all that different, perhaps they are, and perhaps it does not matter at all. Never transpires in a blink of an eye, Dun never knew that was possible.
  #39  
Unread 30th of July, 2004, 17:30
Dirigible's Avatar
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #449
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,813 (0.34 per day)
Lyr

In his sleep, Lyr rolls onto his shoulder. A lock of hair falls across his lips, and he murmurs fuzzily before sliding back deeper into blade-clawed nightmare.

"Mszzz.... sea monkeys stole my money..."
  #40  
Unread 4th of August, 2004, 21:41
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.56 per day)
Aashya

Hearing Aleina's story brings back Aashya's own memories of her struggle in the river. She too had been swept away by the river's swift current. She remembers being battered and bruised by jagged rocks, forced down and dragged along in the muck and sand of the river bottom. Her lungs had felt like they'd burst for lack of air.....

But she had found the strength to swim up to the surface each time the river tried to drag her down.

And Aleina? She'd either found her own inner reserve of strength and saved herself, or-

"The gnomes believe in a great river spirit they call the Watcher," Aashya says quietly. She'd witnessed the gnomes' simple, daily rituals, and a few of their more elaborate seasonal celebrations in honor of the Watcher, although she hadn't taken part herself. But there had been times when she thought that she had felt something, a presence, in or around the water, especially on those cool, spring nights when the river was shrouded in mist. Aashya stops short of suggesting that the Watcher could have had a hand in Aleina's rescue.

So. Aleina and Aashya both had come near to death in the Eren, and the experience had changed their lives. Aleina seems to have gained something. Has Aashya? She always believed that she had lost something, either in the river, or just before it took her. Looking back or trying too hard to remember usually leaves her feeling overwhelmed by melancholy. Does she really want to know what happened back then?

"I think I should try to get a little more rest," Aashya says suddenly. She nods to Aleina, then continues on her way to the place where she left her pack and blanket. There she finds a little patch of sunlight to lie down in, but she's never really able to fall back to sleep.
  #41  
Unread 4th of August, 2004, 23:27
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.82 per day)
Aleina

The Watcher

Aleina absorbs the words with her typical detachment, her face not betraying any sign of recognition. The name itself meant nothing to her, but the phenomenon roused her curiousity. It was something she would like to know more about, but not here and not now.

After all, she barely knew Aashya. True, the question and answer session had told her a bit more but they still knew very little of each other. Which might be for the best. Aleina had certainly doled out information in a miserly fashion, though she had taken pains to make it seem like more than it really was. Most of what she had related was bits that Aashya had either already known or would easily guess from the conversations going on all around. She had deliberately avoided any mention of channeling, prefering to focus the attention on her second sight - which most people might well dismiss as nothing more than self delusion.

She is almost relieved when the other woman excuses herself. The river brought back too many painful memories, and it was only too easy to let her guard down with this girl who seemed to have shared at least something of her pain. No, it would not be prudent to tell anyone too much about herself and how she ended up where she is now. They were all recent acquaintences.

She passes the time mulling over the influx of information her brain has received in the past day, trying to sort it out into workable bundles. Occaisionally her eyes pass over Lyr's sleeping form, reminding her of what she'd done. The shame of it was still strong.

We will need to talk.
  #42  
Unread 11th of August, 2004, 12:21
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.96 per day)
The Healer blinks and shakes his head at the dorn's question. He seems somehow surprised by it. Yet he recovers quickly enough, brow furrowing in thought. A moment passes and then he shakes his head sadly.

"I'm sorry, lad, but I could only guess. Maybe Baden's Bluff. I...I don't deal much with slaves. I've just seen brigands attack villages before and learned what they do."

Aashya finds no rest on this shallow depression of the Westlands; her mind is a whirl with thoughts. Aleina had gained, true, but she had also lost. The Eren never gives freely, it seems. The question becomes then, if Aashya lost her memories, what had she received in the process?

Aleina's guilt over the skirmish the night before brews within her. Her knowledge of the arcane is limited, but the thought of taking another's energy could not be anything other than evil, could it? She'd taken a fraction of Lyr's essense, his life, perhaps even his soul, in order to power her enchantment. It wasn't a permanent loss, she doesn't think, but does it make it any less wrong?

Lyr's dreams take a darker turn. He flees through a tunnel, away from the astirax, and into a subterranian night. Down into the blackness he blindly runs until his feet splash into water. He trips and falls into a deep, salty pool. His arms flail, trying to grant him buoyancy, but it's no use. Downward he sinks, drowning but not dying, and he is lost for a time amidst the watery oblivion. And finally, after an unknowable amount of time, he reaches the bottom. It's there, that two great red eyes open and look into him, into his soul. And those eyes, those cold, alien eyes fill him with more dread than any legate or astirax.

Awaken...
  #43  
Unread 17th of August, 2004, 06:11
Dirigible's Avatar
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #449
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,813 (0.34 per day)
Lyr

His eyes open.

Lyr stares at the [morning] sky for a long time, his dark eyes unseeing, stinging with the salt of his dream. After some time, he loses the undeclared staring contest between himself and the waning starlight and his lids snap shut. Part of him is afraid that the darkness behind them will hold two red demon-glares, and that he will never open them again.

Lyr rolls onto his side, shivering, remembering the feel of icy water enveloping him, sucking him down. He gets up quickly, shaking twigs and grass out of his cloak and wrapping it around himself.
  #44  
Unread 20th of August, 2004, 01:48
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.19 per day)
Heulwen

Awaken by Cytaill begining to stir next to her, Heulwen takes a moment to orient herself as she does every morning, before reaching into her saddle bags for some food for herself and Cytaill. Meat for him and some more of that fresh (well, day old now) bread, an apple, and some cheese for her.

"If you have provisions," she advises the others, "you should eat something quickly. We don't exactly have time for a proper breakfast."

Noticing for the first time that the Healer is no longer is a daze, she directs her attention to him, "I hope your patient was alright last night when you and he split up."

Noting that the Healer has no bags with him, she reaches into her saddle bags and takes out a bit more of the bread and cheese, offering it to him, "Its not much, but it will have to do for now."
  #45  
Unread 23rd of August, 2004, 22:41
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.96 per day)
The Healer looks at the offer; it's a simple kindness and yet it carries a strong current with it. None of them can go long without food, and a loaf of bread is just as valuable to a starving man as a full wineskin is to a thirsty one. The Healer does not look particularly hungry, but he accepts the offer all the same with a polite nod of gratitude.

Those still sleeping begin to awaken, Lyr from his nightmares, and Heulwen from her blissfully empty sleep. She'd dreamed of this Healer before she met him, but the memory of him is almost wiped clean by the dark wings enveloping Kingscross. She wonders how the residents fared. Some would've, and perhaps did, alert the Shadow to her presence; a runaway slave would likely be killed on sight. Yet there were those who had a bit of kindness, but Stafford was the only one she met that hadn't travelled with her. Him and that odd one, Feyd. The halfling idly wonders what has become of the man.

The Healer casts a mournful eye at the Dorn, but holds his tongue. There's very little that can be said to a man who's lost his wife, particularly at the hands of raiders. If he's very lucky, she's been left unharmed in hopes of fetching a higher price. If not...well, best not to think of such things. The sky is overcast enough without black thoughts clouding things further.

Dun shakes his head and looks away from the Healer. The man seems good enough, but the young erenlander doesn't like how the Healer behaves. A wise man wouldn't have been caught on the open road like that. So he wonders, what have they agreed to risk their lives for? What sort of man are they following?

"My patient?" the Healer asks, sounding ever so slightly irritated, "Who knows if he still draws breath. An unconscious dwarf would be easy prey, provided his snoring didn't scare every living creature away."

They gather themselves, breaking what can only barely be called a camp. Shouldering possessions, they swallow their dry food and drink from their skins. They've enough supplies for now, but Kingscross likely isn't safe and the Westlands hold little mercy for the unprepared. The warmth of the day is already beginning to settle in, dispelling last night's unusual chill. Setting off again, the nine move south west in search of the patient.
  #46  
Unread 24th of August, 2004, 05:25
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.19 per day)
Heulwen

When the Healer mentions that the dwarf was still unconcious when they parted, a look of concern crosses Heulwen's face.

"We must try and find him then," she says.

Finishing her breakfast, Heulwen packs up what few belongings she had gotten out for the night and prepares to leave. Mentally calculating the amount of food she has as she does so, Heulwen comes to the conclusion that she has provisions enough for herself for several days of hurried movement, but that she will have to allow Cytaill time to hunt for himself very soon, slowing her down again. She also realizes that she doesn't know how much food and water the others carry with them and that while she can easily scavenge for herself, scavenging enough food for so many people would be difficult, if not impossible.

As the party moves back towards the road, hoping to pick up the dwarf's trail, Heulwen discreetly asks the others about the state of their personal provisions.
  #47  
Unread 25th of August, 2004, 22:46
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.82 per day)
Aleina

Heulwen is obviously eager to get started, and she is quick to be ready. Aleina moves more slowly, having had the past few hours to consider their situation. The crux of the matter was Lucien: did they want to help him or not?

On the one hand, Aleina thinks the halfling's preferred course of action was sound. They could help the dwarf and keep an eye on the healer. However, that course also put them on a collision course with the hound, and she wasn't at all sure they'd survive a second encounter like that.

Aashya would go whichever way they chose, but she was certain that Dun had ideas of his own. Rhotha'ah, understandably, had other destinations in mind. What Lyr might want was anybody's guess. Now would not be a good time to pressure them one way or the other, particularly after her display yesterday. They would doubtless distrust her, though they ought to know well enough why she would keep her channeling a secret. No, they must make a decision as a group, and the less she said to influence that decision, the better.

Even as Heulwen is preparing to set out, Aleina calls a hasty meeting, asking Lucien to give them a few moments of privacy.

"It seems we need to choose our path once again. We can follow Lucien and hope to find his charge and see that he is healed, and perhaps find some way to aid this healer. That may well lead to another encounter with the hound. Or we could return to Kingscross to see what help we can lend in the wake of the raid they surely endured. Or we can choose some other path that is suggested. Or we can go our separate ways, though I do not think that is wise."
  #48  
Unread 26th of August, 2004, 04:13
Kelemyn's Avatar
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #15
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 3,361 (0.56 per day)
Aashya

Aashya's little patch of sunlight had slowly been obliterated by the spreading cloud cover. She hugged the fringe of her wool blanket closer to her chin, trying her best to ignore the hard patch of earth that was boring into her back, and shut her eyes tightly. She's not sleepy, or even tired, really. But she just isn't ready yet to get up and face the day.

The others are stirring. Aashya hears voices speaking softly, the coming and going of booted feet, and the unmistakable sounds of camp being broken. Like it or not, it's time to rise and shine.

At least this day is different from the most recent ones that came before. She has companions again. Heulwen and Cytaill come by as she's packing up her things, and they discuss provisions. Aashya is curious about the wogren: does it eat trail rations too? She discovers that Heulwen carries meat for her animal companion, but that Cytaill can hunt for his own food if need be.

Aashya packs up quickly, and soon she is waiting for the rest of the group. Her limbs are stiff and sore, as are her neck and back. She's not used to all the walking she's been doing lately, or to sleeping on the cold, stony ground. She stretches, stomping her feet and swinging her arms, in an effort to get her blood flowing.

Her movements turn into something else though, without her even realizing it at first. She steps and turns, shifting her weight precisely. Her arms move rhythmically through a serious of positions, and all of a sudden she is aware of what she is doing. It's a morning routine that she hasn't been through in....... how long? She doesn't know.

What's next? Flying Snake. Move like this, and then like this. Transition to Water Circle. Hands up. No, turn them like this.

How do I know this? It doesn't matter. A few minutes later Aashya stops the strange, dancelike movements, feeling that the morning routine is completed. He body is invigorated and yet her mind is calm. She feels much more capable of facing the day now, whatever it brings.

Aleina calls a meeting, gathering everyone except the healer around her. Which way shall they go?

Aashya dislikes the idea of going back, either to Kingscross, or to search for Lucien's patient. She can't help feeling that the healer doesn't really want their help, so why risk another encounter with the hound and his men if they don't have to? On the other hand, what about the poor man (no, he's a dwarf, isn't he?) that was left behind? She's not clear on the relationship between Lucien and his patient, but the one was clearly in a bad state and would likely die if left on his own. But wouldn't Lucien draw the hound to him if he tried to find him again?

"Why don't we offer to look after the dw- er, patient for the healer," she suggests. "We can go back and help him while Lucien tries to stay ahead of the hound. You're a healer too, aren't you Aleina? Do you think you could take care of this patient?"
  #49  
Unread 27th of August, 2004, 01:54
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.82 per day)
Aleina

She doesn't let her irritation at the question show. It would only bring more attention to herself, place yet more focus on her, completely the opposite of what Aleina wanted this meeting to accomplish. The others must come to a decision without feeling as if she influenced them.

She only shrugs slightly at Aashya's words. Her ice blue eyes seem to consider the query for a moment, impassive.

"Perhaps. Then again, perhaps not. I do not know what is wrong with him, or how my skill compares to Lucien's."
  #50  
Unread 27th of August, 2004, 08:55
Dirigible's Avatar
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #449
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,813 (0.34 per day)
Lyr

The erenlander slowly turns his face from the awakening world, looking back at the group. His eyes look a little darker, a little hollower than usual, and he turns them away from any gazes that try to meet them.

Standing with his arms tucked into his cloak, he listenes quietly to Aleina’s words. He shiveres when she speaks of the raid on Kingscross - he hadn’t considered what might have become of the town.

“My heart yearns to know of Kingscross’ fate...” he says softly, “but those who wrought it might still be there, and the Hound with them. Going back might bring more danger to the people there, and to us. I say we seek out the patient.”

But his eyes turn from time to lingering time to Aleina. Whatever he says, a part of him roils in patheticness and knows that wherever she goes, it will follow. He had tasted the fruit of Magic, and could not go back to a diet of ash.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 21:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren