Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Cadrius' Games > Deadwatch Embers

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #351  
Unread 15th of April, 2004, 04:57
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.17 per day)
Heulwen

"By myself? No," Heulwen replies, "Against four of the Shadow's men I could not hope to prevail. Even with the help of you and your friends I am unsure of what to do. If I knew I could escape notice I would in a heartbeat. But I cannot garuntee such a thing and thus cannot be sure of myself. Still, I know that I am better off away from here when the orcs arrive. It seems to me that we might as well follow after the healer in case there is something that we can do, even if I do not know what at this time."

"Of course, if you and your companions do not wish to trail the Shadow's men, a risky proposition no doubt, then there is little I can do."
  #352  
Unread 15th of April, 2004, 05:06
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.79 per day)
Aleina

"You will join us then? I have not approached the others about helping the healer, nor am I certain that we are strong enough together in any case. Whatever the odds, they will be better out here - with your help, and possibly the healer and his charge - then they were in Kingscross. And we do not risk bringing more danger down upon the town."

She glances back toward where the others wait, though she cannot see them through the distance and dark. Her arms are once more within her sleeves and she considers the night sky for a moment.

"I do not know about the others, but I am not a tracker, nor will my eyes be much good until the morning."

Shaking her head once, she focuses again on Heulwen.

"Will you meet the others? Then we can decide what we will do."
  #353  
Unread 15th of April, 2004, 05:39
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.17 per day)
Heulwen

"If our paths coincide then I see little reason not to join you. Thus far you have proven trustworthy, and I could certianly use another freind."

Whistling to Cytaill, Heulwen gestures to where his eyes now clearly glow in the moonlight when he raises his head to look at her. They disappear quickly though, as he settles back down to his former position.

"Cytaill is a good friend and loyal as all his kind are, but even so I crave some company that I can talk to more than once a day."

Shaking her head, Heulwen pushes aside her self pity and continues, "But yes, I will meet your companions if you think it safe. However, you might want to warn them of what to expect first. Not all humans would welcome the first sight of me. Some in the town even insisted that I was a *goblin*."

Her voice low and harsh at the end, Heulwen practically spits the last word.
  #354  
Unread 15th of April, 2004, 06:16
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.79 per day)
Aleina

The brief glow of luminescent eyes prickles the hair on the back of her neck and reminds her that Heulwen has a companion. A wogren, she guessed, given the stories she had heard about the bond between the wolf-like creatures and halflings, and Heulwen's comment about speaking to the beast. It's bulk is vague in the dark, almost indistinguishable from the surrounding landscape once the eyes are turned away from the moonlight.

"I believe you will be safe enough. Stay by me."

The channeler leads the way back to the others, moving slowly without light. Lyr and Rhotha'ah stand within the small circle of light shed by their lone torch; Dun is there, as the halfling had predicted.

"This is Heulwen, whom you may have noticed this afternoon in Kingscross. She has agreed to travel with us for a time; a wogren -Cytail- also travels with her."
  #355  
Unread 15th of April, 2004, 08:18
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.17 per day)
Heulwen

Noding in acknoledgement to Aleina's instruction, Heulwen follows at a close distance, signaling to Cytaill with a hand gesture to keep out of sight, before it occurs to her the it was doubtful that he understood the gesture.

I really aught to spend some time working out some signals with him.

Sighing when Aleina reveals Cytaill's presence, and mispronounces his name, Heulwen quickly recover's herself and makes an open study of the three men, careful to keep her hand clearly on her sword hilt in case they should try anything.
  #356  
Unread 16th of April, 2004, 17:45
Dirigible's Avatar
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #449
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,813 (0.33 per day)
Lyr

Lyr is unable to conceal the relief on his face as Aleina steps into the ring of light, but hurridly tries to school his features back into order when their visitor appears.

He nods a silent greeting, bend his head low. A wogren? Interesting.
  #357  
Unread 17th of April, 2004, 06:34
Berova's Avatar
Berova
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #453
Posts: 212 (0.04 per day)
Dun

Dun views Aleina's return with a mix of curiosity and consternation. Thinking Aleina's acquaintance with a halfling a bit odd, and a halfling with a wogren at that. That the halfling will be traveling with them but only for a bit only adds to his uncertainty. What would the halfling want with Aleina or them for that matter? Dun remains silent as well though he acknowledges Aleina and Heulwen with a simple nod.
  #358  
Unread 20th of April, 2004, 04:23
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Rhotha'ah

The Dorn looks at the halfling and the wogren after having been announced by Aleina. He appraises the both of them, noting the little one's suspicions of he and the two other men in the area. He keeps his arms slightly away from his body so as not to appear threatening, even though he knows that a 6'5" human will almost always be threatening to the smaller folk of the lands.

He looks to Aleina and cocks his head to the side, his baritone voice rumbling within his chest. "I presume you have done all you came here to do?"
  #359  
Unread 21st of April, 2004, 12:04
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.79 per day)
Aleina

The channeler cocks her head slightly at Rhotha'ah as the barbarian asks his question. It seemed somewhat odd that none of her companions had uttered a single word to the halfling, but perhaps the night's previous chance encounter had soured them on strangers. Straightening, she regards them in flickering torchlight.

"Indeed I have. So, the question remains: what now? We have fled Kingscross, with hope that the authorities will deal with this raid as they have dealt with other such raids in the past."

She pauses briefly, carefully choosing her next words.

"I have only known each of you a scant few hours, but in that time I have come to believe that we share in two things: a hatred of the shadow and a desire to make a difference. I did not lie when I said I knew the healer's dwelling: I had been there only an hour before, to warn him of the danger facing the town, to goad him into fleeing before it was too late. Even I did not realize that there were other agents of shadow that were tracking him in particular.

"I led the shadow-friends there in hopes that the healer was already gone. While we were in town, all of Kingscross would be responsible for any action we took. Even then, it would have been the four of us against four of them - and one, at least, powerful enough that this healer feared him. Yet I am afraid they will be his death, and I would do what I can to help him. With our newfound friends, we outnumber them.

"My heart tells me to aid him if we can, but it is not my decision alone to make, nor do I know what business of your own you might wish to pursue. What course, each of you, would you follow?"
  #360  
Unread 21st of April, 2004, 13:06
Berova's Avatar
Berova
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #453
Posts: 212 (0.04 per day)
Dun

Dun listens to Aleina's words intently and carefully considers them before responding.

In her words, or perhaps it was the manner of her voice, he begins to realize this may be a moment of truth, a defining moment if you will, when cards are a laid down on the table.

And so, Dun responds, "Lady Aleina, there is not enough good in the world. What little there is, is all the more precious, so we'd best preserve it whenever there is even half a chance lest there be none at all. As for myself, I've been seeking the whereabouts of my father, Dura Aben, who has been missing now for more than a fortnight. I've been informed he came through KingsCross and may have headed south."

"So, if this is what you desire, you shall not be alone in this endeavor. I would do what little I can to aid the Healer, though I am concerned we will be too late given the lead those in league with the Shadow already possess. We best make haste, if there is any hope at all of catching up to them before all is lost."
  #361  
Unread 21st of April, 2004, 16:34
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
Rhotha'ah

The barbarian looks at Dun, a sad, empathic grimace on his face. "It would seem that Dun and I share more than two things in common." Letting out a long breath which mists in front of his face in a long, thin stream, he slumps back against a ruined wall as if letting it support the weight that his shoulder bear, eyeing each of his new companions.

"I, too, am in search of someone I care for dearly." He reaches for the amulet around his neck and unties it, passing it across to Aleina for her to pass around. "My wife was taken less than a week ago after my settlement was attacked by masked bandits. Shadow or not, they came into my lands, slaughtered my family and my people, and stole my wife and a few other women from the village. I swore an oath to my family and my people that I would avenge their deaths and bring our women back safely."

Closing his eyes to let a solitary tear streak his face. "I will travel with you all and aid your ventures, and all I ask in return is that you aid me in mine." He opens his eyes and looks at the four in front of him in wait of an answer, no longer with the look of a confident and emotionless warrior, but that of a man who has laid bare his soul to the world and is almost expecting it to be kicked.
  #362  
Unread 22nd of April, 2004, 05:46
Dirigible's Avatar
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #449
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,813 (0.33 per day)
Lyr

Looking uncomfortable, Lyr avoids staring at the barely-weeping Dorn.

"Unlike you," he explains quietly, indicating Dun and Rhotha'ah, "I do not chanse someone... something. I flee from something. This means I do not have a destination in mind, but I can easily alloy my purpose to yours. So be it." He looks around the little group. "I suppose, then, we follow the Healer and try to save him from his pursuers, then seek out the bastards who assaulted Rhotha'ah's tribe, then try to find Dun's father..." he gives his friend an apologetic smile.

He then turns his dark eyes to the channeler. "And what of you, Aleina? You have not told us what your goals are, what drives you."
  #363  
Unread 25th of April, 2004, 07:38
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.17 per day)
Heulwen

Tired of the humans talking over her, Heulwen forces her way back into the conversation by answering for Aleina, "She helps because would prevent as much suffering as possible."

Staring at the three men, Heulwen makes sure all eyes are on her before continuing, "All of us share a connection, it would seem. In some way, shape, or form our lives have been directed against our will by the Shadow. But where most others would hang there head and go where the Shadow directs, we have elected to hold our ground and fight the rule of the Dark God."

"Some of us are more direct about it," Heulwen says, looking at Rhotha'ah, "others, more fruitive," she continues, turning to Lyr, "but each of us stands against the Shadow in our own way."

Pausing for a moment, Heulwen deliberatly takes her hand off the hilt of her sword and folds her arms across her chest, "Both the healer and his pursuers are on foot, but the healer has a patient to mind as he journeys while his pursuers travel much lighter. Both left here going north, and the leader of the Shadow's men seemed to think the direction signifigant. Indeed, he thought he knew where the healer was headed. However, the healer told me that I could find him to the west should I have need of him. I can only hope that the Shadow's men, in their haste to catch the healer, will miss the turning in his trail and head straight on towards wherever they think the healer is going."

Giving the others a moment to process the information she just revealed, Heulwen looks at each of them carefully before continuing, "I can track the healer and his pursuers. Indeed, I have already located their tracks where they passed me by. If you truly are ready to follow after and help the healer, we should get under way."
  #364  
Unread 26th of April, 2004, 23:29
Gralhruk's Avatar
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #13
Location: The Netherworld
Posts: 10,847 (1.79 per day)
Aleina

The channeler listens intently to the words of each man, her eyes never leaving theirs as they tell their stories, making them think for those few moments that the whole of her interest is only for them. She ignores Lyr's question, looking fixedly at the dark chunk of porcelain that Rhotha'ah had given her, handling it gingerly as though afraid it might cut her. When Heulwen has finished speaking, she looks up, passing the mask fragment to the halfling as she does so.

"Then the matter is settled. We will do our best to reach the healer and aid him however we may."

Her eyes turn inward for a moment, reflecting on the circumstances that had brought them here, curious about the weavings of fate. Without a tracker, they would have little chance of finding the healer. Was it luck that Heulwen had been at this spot at this time, and willing to help them?

"Heulwen is right: I would ease suffering where I can. I am a healer as well, so I feel a certain kinship with this hunted man. I will do what I can to aid each of you, to help you on your own journeys, and to honor the friendship you have shown me."
  #365  
Unread 29th of April, 2004, 05:25
Dirigible's Avatar
Dirigible
Nightcrawler [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member: #449
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 1,813 (0.33 per day)
Lyr

Furtive? Lyr's eyebrows climb his forehead as he looks at Heulwen.

"I think it is safe to assume that his pursuers will realise the healer has deflected his path. Or best hope is that they tarry, and we can take them unawares."

Lyr bends down and begin to unlace a complex leather strap from his boot. When he straightens, he is carefully massaging flexibility back into a sling, and casting about for a suitable projectile.

"I am ready," he finishes simply.
  #366  
Unread 1st of May, 2004, 04:12
Kahluah's Avatar
Kahluah
Dingo of War [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #5
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,715 (0.28 per day)
For the first time since his life had irrevokably changed, Rhotha'ah smiles, hope revived within his large chest. Pushing himself off of the wall he had leaned on, he stands taller, a new strength of purposed gleaming in his countenance as he shares his burden amongst his new companions at the same time as they sheir theirs with him.

He looks to the halfling, nodding to her. "If it is you who knows the way to this healer, then lets us follow as you lead us the way." He grins once more, before he looks to the wilds around him and prepares himself for the chase.
__________________
"You cannot prepare yourself for squirrels." - Martin Jol.
  #367  
Unread 6th of May, 2004, 02:07
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.17 per day)
Beckoning to the others to follow, Heulwen leads them back to where Cytaill and her stuff remain hidden. Within a few moments, Cytaill has been introduced to the humans and Heulwen's stuff loaded on to Bombur, she having explained that since she could not ride Cytaill and follow the tracks at the same time, she would prefer that Cytaill remain free of the burden the gear would place on him.

With her bow in hand, Heulwen pauses for a moment to reaquire the tracks she had found earlier, and to get their scent so that she could follow them even without seeing them. Then she heads out, following the tracks as quickly as the night will allow.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 19:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren