Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Chris Chandler's Games > Epicureans

Unread 26th of June, 2008, 03:26
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Member: #2777
Did I say tool? I'm such a tool sometimes.
Unread 26th of June, 2008, 05:54
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Member: #2980
lol.

So I notice that's basically a 6th level item. I've got a 3rd level party. So I'm thinking that I'm going to stick with it taking both hands and the eye slot, and requiring an hour of study instead of Identify 3/day. Lessens the power of it, IMO, making it more fitting for a 2nd level party. Also, I'm going to limit the +5 Appraise/Knowledge Arcana/Spellcraft so it only applies to the attempt to identify whatever is being studied, not across the board.
Unread 26th of June, 2008, 06:16
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Sounds good. You could always just allow them to adjust it later when their level is high enough, and free up the hands slot,... or not.
Unread 9th of July, 2008, 08:15
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

So it seems we may be losing our Cleric/Paladin. He called to say he couldn't make it 2 weeks ago. This week he didn't even call.

I had called him with a note of worry over the fact that he took Cleric first and then Paladin - AFAIK there's not a feat for multiclassing between the two. And I'm reluctant to make one.

So the question I may be facing is this: How do I run a campaign of primarily fighting undead, but without a Cleric or Paladin?

Thoughts?
Unread 9th of July, 2008, 11:13
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

Member: #1475
Fire. Fire works wonders on undead.

Oh! Shotguns, too. Boomsticks are the best.

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 9th of July, 2008, 11:31
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

:p
Unread 9th of July, 2008, 13:24
Doombot
Spirit of the Spartan Nation [Epic]

Member: #1704
Sacred Exorcist and Undead Hunter spring to mind.
Unread 9th of July, 2008, 22:20
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Do what I do, if you, the player, leave the group, unannounced, or give up a character it becomes property of the GM, especially if it's in the middle of something. The character is already part of the group, and you don't have to contrieve some garbage to explain a new persons sudden appearance.

When/If the group makes a trip to a town or stronghold then it is easier to replace the character with a true NPC.
Unread 9th of July, 2008, 22:29
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Member: #2781
Ha. Sadly, this isn't as uncommon an issue as you might think. Last time it happened to us, I think the gnome illusionist saved the day with a sling.
Unread 14th of July, 2008, 12:23
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

*facepalms*

So today I decided to remove the now-NPCed cleric from the party. To that end, I devised a simple quick encounter (admittedly EL 4 for a level 3 party) wherein 3 orcs would attack them at their camp, and they would in the process kill the cleric (power word Pain can be nasty! when cast multiple times!).

So they notice the orcs coming, and spend the next 2 hours (real time) hiding from them from behind a locked door, then giving away their position by telling them to go away, then cringing while the orcs beat on the door, then finally deciding (after sleeping on it!) to go into battle.

A 4 round fight (the cleric NPC did die) took about 2 hours due to lead-up. It was hilarious. At least everyone had fun.

Then they get to this graveyard with a path in the center. Their scout already knows that there's open graves with zombies in 'em hidden in the fog that covers the ground, but they'd still rather take their risks there instead of taking the path down the center.

So they spend about 2 hours falling into graves, killing zombies one at a time, and continuing to wander through the graveyard. Finally, after finding out there's no back door, they make their way back around front, and step on the path - which activates the extended Bane trap and notifies the local Tomb Motes to come attack them.

Ah, good times.
Unread 5th of August, 2008, 06:17
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

So my PCs are about to hit a section within the mountains that are LADEN with Hobgoblins. I've decided to give the Hobgobs a very Roman look and feel, since they're highly militarized and what not, and I'm having fun at that.

That being said, I'd love to hear any of your ideas for making it more than just "these are the generic bad guys." I've already got basic military units designed and all that, so it's not the crunchy I need help with.

I need ideas for what makes 3 warcamps of Hobgoblins in the mountains around a central Hobgoblin village more interesting. What can the PCs do here other than kill them (if they can fight some of them without getting attacked by the whole army...).

I've thought about the idea of having the leaders of the 3 warcamps being at odds with each other, but that's just the beginning. Any other ideas you guys might have?
Unread 5th of August, 2008, 21:59
Chris Chandler

I've always liked Hobgoblins as the "Smart green bad guy" if they are going to be just plain bad guys. I also tend to rarely treat traditional bad guys as such, wholesale. They are travelling through the nation of the Hobgoblins, not just some loose confederation of maybe-maybe not warring tribes. Hobs are smart and lawful, meaning that they are going to want to have society. I like the Roman angle with that.

Try not to treat them as tribal. I know that even when the green guys are "civilized" they still get labels like Chieftain and Shaman. Try to avoid those things.

The civil conflict does sound interesting. Since Hobgoblins tend toward militaristic society, and running with the Roman theme, how about making the commander of each warcamp as members of the Tribune, with a recently deceased Consul leaving a vacuum of power within the central settlement. I mean, why not run a contra-Caesar adventure with this?

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 6th of August, 2008, 03:17
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

That was sort of my thought.

Grunts are Legionnaire fighters with Phalanx Fighting and Shield Wall, MW Chain Shirt, MW Short Sword, MW Heavy Steel Shield and MW Longpear.

Centurions are Knights (currently using 1st Level) with 22 build points. MW Breasplate, MW Heavy Steel Shield, Shield Specialization, and MW Longsword.

Healers are Clerics of Maglubayet, War and Strength domain, MW Battleaxe, MW Chain Shirt, MW Heavy Shield, packing a wand of 10 charges CLW.

Then I've got Bards who look a lot like the fighters but who play Drums.

And then I've got Archers who look a lot like the fighters but have MW Composite LBows.

Then we'll have Tribunes, who will be Marshalls most likely, they'll be over several "Cohorts" (commmanded each by a Centurion and including a number of Legionnaires up to 10, a Cleric, a Bard, and may be 2 Archers).

I figure 3 Tribunes under a Captain.

So when I say 3 "Warcamps" that's to say that I forsee 3 Captains. Warcamps won't be pel-mel, but I'm hoping to draw up a standard camp layout which will be idential between all 3 warcamps. They'll be lock-stock, and each will have its own smithy with a talented enough smith to make and maintain MW quality weapons.

Checkpoints will be strongholds with pallisade walls, each garrisoned by a Cohort at a time. I'm thinking the PCs first encounter will be at a checkpoint with an understrength Cohort (so as to keep it about EL 5 or 6).

Like I said, I've got the Crunchy pretty much figured out. I need some creative ideas for what they can DO here other than try to fight 3 Legions of Hobgobs...
Unread 7th of August, 2008, 01:51
Doombot

Well, they can always trade with them, diplomatize, and maybe even hire some as bodyguards/mercenaries. I guess it depends on how openly hostile the hobs are going to be towards the PC's initially.

If the warcamps are at odds with each other, they'd probably want to avoid outside conflict, as that would put them at a disadvantage to their peers, so they may just bar the PCs from passing, and make they go around. Then the party has the option of talking their way through, paying to pass by, or fighting/sneaking past.
Unread 11th of September, 2008, 04:52
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

IDEAS! Feed Me Ideas!!!!

Our party of intrepid heroes has parlayed with the would-be captain of a Hobgoblin Legion. The Legion itself is divided between 3 leaders. One has taken his Cohorts out on a mercenary contract to keep them out of the civil war, one is a usurper, and the other is the rightful heir to the Captainship. The latter two each command about 1500 men.

The PCs have managed to earn the respect of the rightful heir and he now offers them a chance to work towards their goal by helping him. He needs either for the usurper to be publicly disgraced, or for the PCs to unearth information proving the usurper hired assassins to kill the heir's father and another ranking Tribune.

So, any thoughts on what they could do next? I'm looking to THEM to think how they could do it, but I need to get them INTO the usurping-Captain's camp somehow (maybe posing as runaway slaves from the first camp?) and then some ideas as a GM what I can have ready for them.

Any brain-flashes are welcome.
Unread 23rd of September, 2008, 01:37
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

So tonight's gaming session was played earlier to accomodate the Packers/Cowboys game. Turns out we have 3 packers fans and 1 cowboys fan in our gaming group, and a free agent.

The DnD game was.....interesting. First time I've gamed for about 4 hours without any combat. The PCs managed to get into the hobgoblin camp, do all the right things to have a civil conversation with the Legate - and then let it fall to pieces. The Military background Warmage started insulting the Legate, then later on the Dwarf Cleric tries to pick a fight with a pair of sentries while he and the Rogue/Fighter are halfway across the camp from the others staking out a Centurion's tent. Meanwhile the Warmage and Druid stumble across the Primus Pilus and his consort - who has the Druid's animal companion-to-be in a cage. The warmage, percieving that the Primus Pilus knows something about his lost son, goes nuts - and eventually challenges the Primus Pilus to a duel for possesion of the Grimalkin (animal-companion-to-be). Since the Grimalkin belongs to the consort, the Primus Pilus defers to her - a Tiefling Enchantress. She begins charming him before the duel starts, and next thing he knows, she's charmed him, then suggests him to take a nap, then kneels down to slit his throat while he snoozes.

THEN the Druid starts trying to talk their way out of it - long enough for the Fighter/Thief to get there, he bursts into the ring and bull rushes the Tiefling. Seeing this, the Druid turns herself into a Fire Elemental and enters the tent of the Primus Pilus to free his pet.

And the Dwarf Cleric? Still obliviously staking out the Centurion's tent.

And that's where we had to pause the game for the Football game. 2 of my players are in a play for the next few weeks, so it'll be four weeks till we rejoin the DnD game - in my mind's eye, the Fighter/Rogue is paused in mid-air as he bull-rushes the Tiefling.

here's an XL Spreadsheet with their character sheets on it, as well as one with the bulk of the Bad guys they're facing. Currently Uth'Gar is losing a duel with Talia. You'll notice that all the bad guys are 2-3 levels above them. They had a good idea of that by now, after they faced 2 of the Hobgoblin bodyguards (I'm calling them Singulares) and it was a lvl 10 encounter (they defeated it, too!)

PCs
Bad Guys

Nehl's Journal
UthGar's Journal

I don't currently have electronic documents of Diesel or Kel's - but I'll post 'em when I do, they're a hoot!
Unread 23rd of September, 2008, 01:42
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Okay, seeing as how I've got 4 weeks, I can deal with the all the linky's and stuff later, but

First time I've gamed for about 4 hours without any combat.
WHAT?!

*boggles*
Unread 23rd of September, 2008, 03:57
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Boggling at 4 hours with no combat, or that it's the first time I've done it?
Unread 23rd of September, 2008, 04:15
Chris Chandler

Okay, now that was funny.

Unread 23rd of September, 2008, 06:26
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

That would be gaming 4 hours with no combat is a record. Lg and I are fanatic role-players. We can game for days, weeks, and sometimes months with no combat. Plus, that's what diplomacy is for.
Unread 23rd of September, 2008, 07:32
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Ahhh.....well......you guys are dorks.

Unread 23rd of September, 2008, 08:18
Chris Chandler

...says the wok to the saucepan.

Unread 23rd of September, 2008, 08:22
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Really? It's been a while since I've been picked on for using brain instead of brawn. You just made me feel 16.
Unread 23rd of September, 2008, 11:22
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

!!!

touch
Unread 24th of September, 2008, 11:31
Doombot

If it were me, I'd just let the dice fall where they may. My party (6 level 8 or so characters) decided it would be fun to attack a pair of sun giants that were shepherding some camels. Even though the party is extra large and each character is a little over-powered, they still caught an asswhuppin', since it was an EL 14. Regardless, they didn't give up until two characters were in the negatives, and another two were in single digit HP. And the giants didn't even want to fight in the first place.

My point is, if they give up the diplomatic advantage they worked so hard to get, let them have what's coming to them.