Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Darken's Games > Rivalry

Unread 22nd of November, 2005, 17:58
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Member: #1480
Sighing, Miri teleports right back underground, takes her Cube of Force out, and holds it while waiting to see if any constructs track her.

I definitely have to go about this another way. Next time, I'll just try to teleport inside the barrier. If that doesn't work...well...they must have ways of entering and leaving. Maybe via the Plane of Shadow...
Unread 23rd of November, 2005, 06:11
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #1476
After a few minutes, you are fairly confident that the Constructs, as before, do not pursue you underground.

Light, is the lack of darkness.
Unread 23rd of November, 2005, 07:22
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

These things are starting to irritate me. When I'm in the city, I will find whoever is responsible for them, seduce him, and eat his soul. That will serve him right. On the other hand...no, I don't want to inflict that on anyone so lightly anymore. It's wrong. It feels wrong. Part of me still loves that feeling, though...

Deciding that action trumps idle and dangerous thinking, Miri teleports back up, just outside the invisible barrier she ran into on her last trip. On the Ethereal Plane, she attempts to teleport past it.
Unread 23rd of November, 2005, 09:18
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

When the Teleport trip concludes, you find that you are still in the exact same spot as before - it's obvious that the Teleport has failed due to invalid target. Most likely, the city prevents such spells from designating anywhere inside as a valid target.

Unread 23rd of November, 2005, 11:03
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Miri angrily glares at the city for several minutes, as though the sheer force of her frustration could punch a hole into whatever defenses the Shades surrounded themselves with. Finally, she sighs and gives up. She teleports back to Zeltaeber.

The fake Shade smiles sheepishly at the cleric. "Their defenses are quite irritating. When I attempted to break through via the Ethereal Plane, I was repelled by some sort of barrier, marked by some sort of shadowy strands, and pursued by flying constructs. Fortunately, said constructs were unable to burrow their way underground, which is one positive thing. In addition, I tried to teleport past the barrier, but their magic appears to block teleportation spells. Rather frustrating, actually."

Miri pauses for a moment before going on, "Considering that the Shades apparently do leave their city on occasion, there simply must be ways in. I suppose they might have some portals. Travel spells that use the Plane of Shadows also come to mind and would be fitting, but I believe those are not very accurate. Hmm...of course, the Shades might know their way around the Plane of Shadows better than anyone. It stands to reason that they can use those spells more accurately than normal mortals...people like us, I mean." She smiles. "Do you have any ideas? I suppose I could hunt down one of their expeditions and ask them to tell me how to get into their city. Plus, there's also that enclave of exiles on the Plane of Shadows that I am familiar with."
Unread 23rd of November, 2005, 14:19
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

Zel makes a puzzling expression and shrugs, "Tell me about it. They are literatelly cheating the very rule of magic and the multiverse by somehow bending the rules in their favor on the defense; some kind of pact between them and Mistress of the Night. The barrier they have in effect disallows any non-Shade beings from gaining access; it's not about how they can enter, it's about how others cannot enter. I had hoped that your non-magical disguise may be the way to defeat their ultimate magical defense, but looks like that's a dead-end too."

Zel's hand grips hard on the handle of a greatsword leaning against a seat next to him. "Someday I will strike them down one by one and dispose the shadowstuff plague on the land. I am sorry I cannot be of more help, but I cannot think of anything other than excessively complex transmutation procedures that will require you to entrust your life to a Shade..."

He shudders and grits his teeth. "Well, what are you up to now?"

Unread 23rd of November, 2005, 15:09
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Miri raises an eyebrow. "Excessively complex transmutation procedures that will require me to entrust my life to a Shade? Hmm...I'd love to help, but I am not quite suicidal. I'll definitely let you know if I ever do feel suicidal, though. I can see that this fight is very important to you, so if I can ever help you with anything, let me know. My specialties don't lie in battle, though. I'm more of a people person and prefer trusting my social skills."

She looks down at herself. "Right, I'm still dressed as a Shade. I suppose I should change. Hmm...I guess I will go seek another mythal after that. I shall decide which one later. On second thought...," Miri glances at Zeltaeber, "do you know anything about contacts that the Shades have to more...local organizations like the Zhentarim? While I'm dressed like this, I may as well see if I can infiltrate any part of their operation."
Unread 23rd of November, 2005, 16:07
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

"The Shades are a rather arrogant people and do not ally with others normally. Although...' Zel frowns, "I am pretty sure you have heard of the battle at the Farsea Marshes? They have apparently allied with a horde of Orcs at that time. I am not sure why or how that happened, but that would appear to be something that fits your description."

Unread 24th of November, 2005, 05:13
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Miri sighs. "Orcs. Of course. I hate orcs. Always did. So simple-minded. So easy to tempt and seduce. And so utterly unrewarding as trophy souls...er...I mean, so utterly unrewarding as opponents in a battle of wits. It doesn't help that I recently crossed path with two of the most infuriating orcs I ever met. Hmm...I wonder what happened to them. I set some bandits to ambush them, but I never actually checked back to see how it all played out. I wonder if the orcs are dead yet..." She shrugs. "Nevermind that. Well, that is certainly interesting information, but I don't feel like dealing with orcs at the moment. Do you have any idea how uncute I would look dressed up as an orc? Wait, I wanted to keep using this disguise...hmm...maybe later. Orcs stink. My cute little nose will not appreciate me going to deal with a horde of orcs."

Miri wiggles her cute little nose to underline her point. "Do you have any other suggestions."
Unread 24th of November, 2005, 15:54
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

Zel shakes his head randomly about slowly, then says, "Other than the Orcs, I suppose it would be the Sharites? They share a common practice in magic after all."

Unread 24th of November, 2005, 16:17
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

"Hmm...I dealt with them in the past. I suppose I can do so again...but I don't see an immediate benefit. Very well, I shall get out of this outfit." Miri heads into the private room and changes her disguise. She returns to being Eliane Darkwood.

[Take 10 on Disguise, use Disguise Kit]

Eliane checks herself in the mirror and nods, satisfied with her work. She walks back out. Upon seeing Zel's surprised face, she mutters, "Right. Tamara. Not Eliane. I have got to keep all these identities straight." She grins and speaks up. "Well, I suppose I'm off, then. Thank you for all your help. If you need my help...hmm...the best way to reach me might be through the queen of Aglarond. Or is there any help you need at the moment?"
Unread 25th of November, 2005, 15:51
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

"Not right now, but you go have fun." Zel grins and waves. "I'll let the Queen know if I ever need to find you. The next time the Shades come out to do their... shady business, they will not return to their safe haven easily."

Unread 25th of November, 2005, 17:41
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Eliane nods and teleports away to the portal to Sigil. She steps through and teleports back to Phillinade's house.

Once inside, she looks for him and calls out: "Phillinade? Are you home?"
Unread 29th of November, 2005, 00:13
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

It would appear that Phillinade is not home at the moment, and you detect no activity in his house.

Unread 29th of November, 2005, 05:06
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Eliane sighs and sits down, pondering what lovely mythal to next go after, while waiting for Phillinade to return.
Unread 29th of November, 2005, 14:19
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

After several hours, which you would imagine a day must have passed on Toril, Phillinade is still nowhere to be seen.

Unread 29th of November, 2005, 15:33
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Eliane is starting to get worried. She looks around for anything indicating where Phillinade went.
Unread 29th of November, 2005, 16:07
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

Tenthday, Thirdweek Tarsakh, DR 1377, Year of the Haunting.

Phillinade seems like a simple man and did not leave any notes or hints on his whereabouts. You conclude that he probably is on a job that he had taken on while you were away.

Unread 29th of November, 2005, 16:12
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Eliane sighs and decides to poke around his house out of boredom. If she can find a journal or diary, she will try to resist reading it, but she will fail.
Unread 30th of November, 2005, 05:12
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

You do indeed find some sort of journal, however, much to your disappointment, not only does it contain scripts you have no knowledge of, but it also appears to be some sort of research journal, which you find fairly boring. Aside from some strange trinkets you have seen before and several promissory notes negotiable against several money changers in Sigil, you find nothing of interest.

Unread 30th of November, 2005, 07:22
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Hmm...I wonder if he could be the most boring man in the multiverse...I'll have to think about this. Do I know anyone who is more boring? Well...I suppose he at least goes out on jobs regularly. It definitely doesn't look like he has a girlfriend, though. That's good. What? Why is that good? What do I care about that? Stupid head, stop thinking stupid things. Time to choose a new mission. Stupid shades.

Eliane decides to head back to Toril and seek out the queen of Aglarond once more. After teleporting to the capital, she heads to the palace and inquires about being able to see the queen again. If a guard asks for a name to give, she will provide the name Tamara Shahin, which she used last time she spoke to the queen.

Didn't I just speak to her yesterday? I think I'm starting to lose track of time. That isn't good.
Unread 30th of November, 2005, 15:35
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

The guards apparently recalls that name, but looks at you with a confused look on his face. Regardless, you are soon granted audience, and you see the Witch Queen once more. Unlike you, the Queen still looks the same as the day before.

"You are giving my guards and me a tough job to properly identify friendly and hostile visitors, Kiara. What do you want today?"

Unread 30th of November, 2005, 18:54
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

The Succubus in human guise smiles. "My apologies, I already changed disguises a few times, so changing back into Tamara just for this little visit seemed a bit tedious." She points a finger at herself. "Eliane Darkwood." She smiles. "I have over a dozen more of these. Those are the ones I've actually studied. I'm pretty good at improvising disguises, though, so my repertoire is quite unlimited."

Eliane scratches her head. "Anyway, on to the reason for my coming here. I talked to Zel, he gave me some tips, and I tried to infiltrate the shade city. For some reason Zel thought I was insane. I suppose that is actually a rational response to many of the things I do. Where was I? Oh, right...shade city. I tried going in disguised as a shade and via the Ethereal Plane. I also tried teleporting in. That did nothing. Well, not quite nothing. Each attempt to enter resulted in my being marked by some black strands and then being chased by some flying constructs, which I am to report cannot travel underground and probably cannot enter the Ethereal Plane." Eliane pauses and scratches her head again.

"I think that's all I learned from the shade city. Blasted difficult place to get in to. After that, I started thinking. When we talked about the mythals before, you mentioned one that is hidden even from you. That one intrigues me. Do you know anything at all about it?"
Unread 1st of December, 2005, 04:53
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

"The Shades do have fairly annoying defenses going on for that city of theirs. Then again, their magic dates back to the Netherese times, it's not that surprising. As for the Mythal hidden from me? Well, if that's hidden from me, I wouldn't know anything about it, would I? All I know will be the common knowledge that it's 'something that pumps out lots of magic' to put it simply."

Unread 1st of December, 2005, 05:00
Crazy Eben
Nightwing

Eliane smiles. "Well, naturally it is hidden from you. However, there must be something you know about it, otherwise you wouldn't know that there is something that is hidden from you. What do you know about it? Anyone who might have information? Any location where magic is going haywire for no good reason?"