Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > -J-'s Games > Champions > DOSPA Database

Unread 11th of February, 2007, 20:23
-J-
Dread Lord on High [Epic GM]

Member: #1006
Superhype News Archives

Login
Username : sprdude247
Password : ******

Welcome to the Superhype Magazine news archives!

Please enter your search criteria below,

Super's Name:

or search by

City:
State/Province:

Super Group:
Unread 12th of February, 2007, 04:24
Hardball
Vampire Spawn

Member: #2500
Hardball

Character Questionnaire

How did you get your powers? Do you know if you have super powers? How did it affect you?Does anyone else know? How did they react?
Born with ‘em. First full transformation happened during football practice in the pre-season right before his freshman year. The university agreed to keep it quiet in order to avoid a scandal. The official word is his doctor barred him from football for “medical reasons”.

Who were your parents? What was their profession and position in society?
Dr. John MacGruder (father), physics/engineering government contractor.
Dr. Kimberly MacGruder (mother), professor, genomic studies, University of California (USC), Irvine
Pallas Athena MacGruder (sister), 2 years older. First-year medical student at USC.

Do you have any familial traditions/legacies/curses/enemies/allies/patrons? If so what/who?
Every year, the MacGruders rent a cabin in Lake Tahoe for Christmas.

Where were you born?
Los Angeles, CA

Did any childhood events shape your personality?
His attendance of his first professional football game—Super Bowl XXV. Hank Levandowski took Butch and JC (then 9 years old) to see the game in Tampa, FL.

Do you have any childhood friends/Mentors that you still see/keep in touch with?
1. Butch Levandowski, Boy Genius

2. Jack Warner, old high-school team QB. Was as much a surfer as anything, so he was pretty laid back and casual. Jack hung out with Butch and JC a lot. He’s the reason JC learned to appreciate the whole “beach culture” thing. Not the typical jock dick in high school. Jack is gay, and was in the closet throughout high school. JC, Butch, and Brittney knew, but nobody else did. Jack plays ball for USC now. It was a really big deal for him and JC to be able to go to USC together. Jack was there the day that JC first transformed.

3. Brittney Parks. Old girlfriend; parted on good terms. Dated their junior and senior year. She was a cheerleader, he was a jock. You know.. Studies architecture and design at Arizona State University now, but they still email from time to time. She always visits when she comes home for occasionally.

Did you have any childhood crushes/relationships? If so how did it/they end? Did you part as friends?
Kissed a girl (Stacy Peterson) for the first time in the 5th grade. Dated a girl (Kim Tanaka) for two months in the 7th grade. She was his first “date”. Nothing serious until he dated Brittney Parks junior and senior year. She was his first real girlfriend.

Who are your heroes?
Hank “The Tank” Levandowski (Butch’s Dad; not so much a hero as a role model).
Michael Jordon
Jim Brown
Hugh Hefner
The Dali Lama

Does your character have a code of conduct? If so summarize your personal ethics.
Everybody tries. Nobody quits. When the game gets rough, you play hardball.

What sort of things motivate you now?
Trying to find his place in the world. Up until his accident, JC always thought he’d play pro ball. He never had a Plan B. He’s sort of trying to find his way in the world.

What were your motivations in your youth?
To be an NFL linebacker.

Have you had any recent changes in faith/way you look at the world? If so what? How did it/they affect you?
With his powers manifested, his dreams of the NFL, or even his college scholarship, have been dashed upon the rocks of cruel, cruel fate. Also has no idea what he wants to major in. Acting, maybe. Probably a good way to meet chicks.

Describe your adolescence.
JC lived a stereotypical mainstream, suburban life in Southern California filled with football, beaches, parties, and teenage shenanigans.

As detailed a physical description as you can manage - feel free to use pictures or drawings to help.

Describe your unique mannerism - voice, smell, gait, movements
Despite his massive, linebacker build (6’5”, 253 lbs), JC is only about 20 years old. His hair is black and wavy (a gift from his mother), worn in a French crop (similar to a Caesar cut, but the sides are shorter and the top longer). His eyes are blue. He has no visible body hair and a tan, olive-skinned Mediterranean complexion. He favors two scents: Old Spice Showtime! (if he's going to be working out) or Chrome (a sharp, tangy citrus scent, combining bergamot, lavender and ginger with sandalwood, rosewood and a base of ivy and oakwood) for going out on the town. He will often act like a laid-back surfer without a care in the world, but can also call on a more authoritarian presence if needed. He speaks in a strong baritone, always sure to project his words. His movements are surprisingly sure, and even graceful—for a man of his stature or otherwise. His coaches were always surprised at the speed he moved at for a player his size. As often as possible, he eschews shirts and long pants.

What are some adjectives that would describe you.
Mighty

Last edited by Hardball; 14th of May, 2008 at 13:08.
Unread 13th of February, 2007, 13:31
Cromwell
Ghoul

Member: #1462
The Shadow

How did you get your powers?

Dark ritual connecting me to the Shadow entity.

Do you know if you have super powers?

Yes, much to my displeasure.

How did it affect you?

I hate my powers as it connects me to the Shadow entity yet I knows that I need these powers to combat evil.

Does anyone else know?

No.

Who were your parents?

Father: Huang Lee, Mother: Wanda Craig

What was their profession and position in society?

Huang is a rich and powerful Chinese industrialist (and secretly a leader in the Cult of the Shadow). Wanda was an elementary school teacher before she died.

Do you have any familial traditions/legacies/curses/enemies/allies/patrons? If so what/who?

I was destined to be the vessel of the Shadow entity. It was only through the love of my wife (her spirit at least) that I escaped that fate... mostly.

Where were you born?

Qiqihar, China.

As a child my mom and I moved around a lot, never staying in any one place for more than a year or two. She always seemed nervous when anyone got close to us... especially me. When that happened, it wasn't long until we moved again.

Do you have any childhood friends/Mentors that you still see/keep in touch with?

No, we never stayed long enough for me to get close to anyone.

Did you have any childhood crushes/relationships? If so how did it/they end? Did you part as friends?

During my junior year of Highschool (we had actually been there for about two years now) I dated Lisa Reynolds. We went to prom together and I was in love with her (teenage love of course). Mom overheard us talking about getting married after we graduated and a week later... we moved. It was a long time before I forgave her for that.

Who are your heroes?

Anyone who has a real passion for working with kids.

Does your character have a code of conduct? If so summarize your personal ethics.

As Colin Craig I try to live a harmonious existence with those around me. As The Shadow... things are a bit more black and white.

I must combat evil, therefore proving that I am good.

I just wanted to have friends mostly. That and also learn more about my Chinese heritage.

Have you had any recent changes in faith/way you look at the world? If so what? How did it/they affect you?

My wife's murder and the binding of the Shadow had some drastic changes on me. As Colin, I am still hurting but I try to take a Zen view on these things. However, as The Shadow, I feel mostly anger and the need to lash out. Thus I focus these emothions on the forces of evil.

Same as childhood... moved a lot and never really got close to anyone.

Anything else you think is important to know about your character.

Colin is a conflicted person. He wants to live a peaceful life, teaching kids and being happy. However, the darkness and the anger lie just beneath the surface and he knows that he can not rid himself of this taint. The only way to release these emotions, if only briefly, is to channel them against those that would be evil. As The Shadow, he is free to focus his darker emotions and to use them for good. Still, in the back of his mind he wonders.... is he really any better than those that he fights against... ?

As detailed a physical description as you can manage -

Ht: 5'10", Wt: 200 lbs, Hair: Dark Brown, Eyes: Green, Age: 28

Colin is in excellent physical shape, his body that of a gymnast with lean, hard muscle. He has wavy dark brown hair that he keeps fairly short (tight on the sides and back with some length on top) and bright green eyes. His slight epicanthinc folds betrays his Chinese heritage.

Describe your unique mannerism - voice, smell, gait, movements:

As Colin he moves very fluid a relaxed and his face often wears a contemplative smile. As The Shadow he is all tight economy of movements (think Batman how he runs with his body completely vertical with his cape flowing behind him). Also, The Shadow's voice sounds like a hollow whisper... quite clear yet sounding like it's being heard from a great distance.

Colin: contemplative, kind, caring. Shadow: violent, judgemental, callous

Last edited by Cromwell; 7th of January, 2008 at 03:20.
Unread 13th of February, 2007, 17:44
Reinstadler
Bodak

Member: #1062
Paul, how did you get your powers?

Came with them installed I guess. Dr. Reindl said something about nonterrestrial signature markers what’d he say statistically too many for standard mutation.

How did it affect you?

Look at me or you pretending not to notice.

Does anyone else know?

Than Dr. Reindl? Not really. He said he destroyed the research.

Who were your parents?

Didn’t have any or had too many. Can I go now?

No. Where were you born?

They found me at St. Paul’s, Denver, CO.

Which childhood events shape your personality?

Um. The parents. Over and over again. Either they came up with a reason why it couldn’t work or I made them.

Do you have any childhood friends or mentors that you still keep in touch with?

No. Marcia had a stroke. Why are you asking me all these questions?

We’re just trying to help, Paul. Who are you dating?

Jaime.

Paul?

Alright. He dumped me. How’s this helping me?

We just want to understand you. Who are your heroes?

Heroes? Um. Joey Ramone. And um Stevie Wonder I guess.

Do you have a code of conduct?

Don’t get caught. Stick with your crew. Don’t get screwed.

Scoring some serious cash. Maybe party in Mexico. Find a solid crew.

What were your motivations when you younger?

Getting through it mostly. Twentyone’s the magic number.

Have you had any recent changes in the way you look at the world?

No. If you’re not pretty, popular or smart, people just want to know how to use you. Same as before. Are you with Human Services?

No. Describe your adolescence.

Youth Corrections? No. Well. It sucked. Juvie Parole Board never liked me. You can’t get out unless you stop fighting. Ray made sure I always had a bruise to show them. Bunch of pricks. You’re either a prick or a sucker he’d say.

You ready to diagnose me already? You’re good. No. Nothing else is important.

Give as detailed a physical description or yourself as you can manage.

What? Alright. Whatever. 5’ 9” about 150. Caucasian male in his mid twenties. Brown hair. Bluegray eyes. Can’t miss em. Big as saucers. Just like the ears. Make your dumbo jokes. Stud in my left one.

Uh. Mostly clean shaven. Dirt under my nails. Not sure where that came from. Star tattoo by the left thumb. Cross on the right. Don’t ask. It was just easiest.

Size Eleven and a half. Ya know.

Enough. Describe your unique mannerisms - voice, smell, gait, movements.

You’re starting to creep me out. I don’t know what I sound like. Awful on voicemail. All squeaky. Words all smushed together.

I don’t smell. I showered today. Alright. It’s called Dakota. It’s not bad for the price.

I move too fast. Even when I try to slow it down. All jittery puts people in a panic like I’m some crackhead. Always popping up behind people. Startling them I guess.

Huh? Um. Messed up. White trash. Fast. Uh. Solid – dependable. Good backup. A little distracted. Jittery. Wired. Quick. Real quick.

Just sign this waiver and you’re free to go.

Yeah? Alright. Peace.

Last edited by Reinstadler; 13th of February, 2007 at 17:47.
Unread 14th of February, 2007, 06:04
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
Johnathan (Jack) Taviani

It was a . . . freak accident, I guess. Coincidence. Wrong place at the wrong time or whatever. I was getting experimental treatments for progeria - HGPS, I mean, Hutchinson-Gilford Progeria Syndrome. You know, that disease that makes kids old.

Anyway, it was supposed to work at a molecular level, correcting the way my body generated lamin. It's a protein. Basically they were screwing with my DNA. I did a lot of research but I still can't find out everything they pumped into my system beforehand. They were delivering a kind of electo-magnetic pulse into my body, I think. Or some sort of radiation, maybe. Something to react with the cocktail they had saturated my blood with. I don't know. By the time I knew enough to care there wasn't much information to be found - private hospital, unsanctioned testing on humans - you do the math.

During one of those sessions there was storm. The mother of all storms really. They had already started juicing me and they were reluctant to stop midstream like that. The power went down and they were on backup. I can remember when the emergency lights came on.

Yeah, I was awake.

It was like being doused in molten lead, when the surge hit. I was looking down; one minute, it was just my feet. The next, my skin looked like someone was shining the sun through it. I could see the bones right through - black, kind of like an x-ray in reverse.

I passed out and later seemed to have no ill effects. The treatment continued, but it was after that session that I started getting better.

How did it affect you?
How did it affect me? How does it usually end when people play god? Not too fucking good, that's how.

Does anyone else know? How did they react?
My family. They cried with relief. They thanked god and science and the universe that I was saved.

Until they died.

My mother was Dr. Alexa Katakouros. Maybe you heard of her - famous neurosurgeon.

No?

Doesn't matter. Anyway, my father was Joseph Louis Taviani. Her second husband - a carpenter by trade. He should have been a philosopher.

Where were you born?
Fort Lee, New Jersey.

What do you think? I was a kid in the body of an 80 year old. I watched my parents sicken and die. I watched my siblings struggle with that, with the burden of responsibility they shouldn't have had, then watched as one by one they rotted from the inside.

Do you have any childhood friends or mentors that you still see? Keep in touch with?
No. I stay away from the ones that are left.

Did you have any childhood crushes/relationships? If so how did they end?
Crushes, yeah, plenty. Relationships, no. Not until after. And only one that mattered.

Who are your heroes?
I don't have any heroes.

Do you have a code of conduct?
Does it look like it? I'm a god damned mess.

I don't know. I should go die alone but I don't want to.

Biology. Finding a way to cure myself.

Have you had any recent changes in faith or the way you look at the world?
Yeah, I don't try anymore.

I did all the things I always wanted to do. I spent all my time skiing, climbing, hiking, fencing; I took martial arts and gymnastics. I joined a gym and exercised like I was freaking Jack LaLanne.

I wasn't always like this.

And for the record, as detailed a physical description as you can manage.
Average height, average weight. Stronger and quicker than I look - I'm in awesome shape under these clothes. Short, dark, curly hair. Dark eyes. Usually haven't shaved in a while, but even if I have it looks like I need to - italian/greek, go figure.

Nothing special really, but women seem to like me.

I'm mostly quiet, keep to myself. Except when I get pissed off. Or drunk. Then I'm an ass.

Introspective. Guilty. Alone.

Lost?
Fuck you.
Unread 18th of February, 2007, 13:29
Tashiba
Ghoul

Member: #2502
NightWind

inherited from parents

I know I can fly . . .and I have my friend Beauty.

How did it affect you?

Shocked me - caused some guilt.

Does anyone else know?

They better not, and as far as I'm concerned no one needs to
know either.

Who were your parents?

Mother - Emma Rouchoux - Circe - Magical based superheroine -
along the lines of Dr Strange

Father - Jean Pierre Rouchoux ťlan - Fast brick - kind of like
captain america only stronger and tougher

What was their profession and position in society?

Public Supers - well paid, not a lot of freedom.

Do you have any familial traditions / legacies / curses /enemies /allies / patrons? If so what/who?

Many . . public supers, but if I have my say, that's all behind me now

Where were you born?

Government facility

One of the biggest was receiving Beauty. . . the other was having
a life where she couldn't acknowledge her brother.

I still go back to my parents (secret identity) for breaks - they insist; they still make me train with my Sensai while I'm there.

Well I did date one of the other super children for about 10 days
when we were five, but other than that just my Sensai. We did
not part as friends - I can barely make myself speak to the man,
though the crush refuses to go away.

Who are your heroes?

It was my Sensai, now I don't really have any, but I think my
brother is shaping up decently.

Does your character have a code of conduct? If so summarize your personal ethics

Only to avoid as much publicity as possible and to make sure no
one ever finds about her secret identity, much less her actual
one. She will try to help if she can while maintaining secrecy.

I want to get through college without being found out and go to
work for someone in the private sector, and hope that's enough
to break the governmentís hold on me.

Just wanted to go my own way, protect my brother, though he's
probably been more powerful than me since I was seven.

My Sensai going along with the governments test, shook me; I had
previously thought that here was someone who would always
watch my back. Now I know that its really everyone for
themselves after all.

I had my Bio-engineering apprenticeship, combined with
government school and training with the other public teens,
public appearances, actually went on a lot of missions with the
parents, because they needed me to be seen. I got to practice my
paramedic skills a lot. . . then the "betrayal"; now I'm in college,
on "scholarship" and though I'm aware that the government
hasn't really let me go, just let out my leash a little, I'm hoping it
will be enough that I can eventually slip their collar for good

She is good at disguising herself, having been made to hide
between public appearances her whole life. Basically good at
heart, but does not trust anyone and will look to herself first
because no one else will.

As detailed a physical description as you can manage - feel free to use pictures or drawings to help.

She is tall and lithe, with those "long" firm muscles. Having worn
her hair, blond and long in public, she now has a pixie cut of
auburn hair with very light blond highlights. Her eyes are blue and
she has light sprinkling of freckles across her nose.

Nightwind moves like a wary cat (when she's not flying). "Kat"
moves like the prim and proper bookworm that she is; only when
dancing does she let go (and it always takes her a few "drinks"
to get her on the dance floor).

wary, untrusting, intelligent, focused, kind
Unread 21st of February, 2007, 08:05
Konrad
Skeleton

Member: #2510
Nick Archer

You would have to ask one of the egg head scientist types for details. All I know is there was some kind of accident at this High Energy Laser demonstration I was attending with some friends. Something about transdimensional energy reacting with a latent mutation.

Well yea itís hard to miss.

How did it affect you?

Well it screwed my chances for a professional soccer career if that counts.

Does anyone else know?

A couple of my friends that I donít keep in touch with and a few scientists that checked us out after the accident.

How did they react?
You know scientists they just want to study stuff.

Father: Chris Archer, Doctor of sports medicine
Mother: Pam Archer, Nurse.
Its better that they donít know right now

My family has a long sporting history most of my Dadís family is connected to professional or college sports in one way or another coaching , training, Refereeing mostly.

Where were you born?
San Diego, CA.

I played a lot of sports when I was a kid. I think it instilled a sense of competition and team spirit in me.

Coach Curtis my high school soccer coach. He has been keeping track of my college career. Whenever I visit home I always drop by the school to see him.

Who are your heroes?
My Dad: If I were smart enough I would be in medical school.

As Iíve said before Iím a very competitive person. I can play rough but most of the time I really donít want to hurt anybody. Last year during a tournament game defender tried to get between me and the goal. He was a smaller guy so I just went right through him. He hit the turf pretty hard. The guy ends up with concussion. I felt pretty bad.
One thing I wonít stand for though is when someone roughs up my teammate on purpose. During a Lacrosse game last season one of the opposing teams defenders took a cheap shot at one my teammates. After he did his penalty time I got a chance to return the favor. I did some serious penalty time for that one but he got the message.
Competition: I am a very competitive person. I thrive on the challenge. I think that is why I like competitive sports so much.
Camaraderie: For some reason I am really drawn to team competition over individual sports.

Iíd say my motivation as a youth was sporting competition. There was the usual teenage pressures.
Well there was this car accident scene I came upon. I could have easily used my power to help the people trapped in the car. I was to afraid of being found out that by the time I decided to help it was to late and two people died. That made me realize that I need to use this ability to help people even if it means I might have the possibility of having my secret exposed .

Iíd say I was a typical high school jock

Nick is rather tall, standing roughly 6'2", with sandy blonde hair, blue eyes, and skin tanned from spending a lot of time out of doors. He keeps himself in excellent shape and works out often giving him a physically imposing build. He usually wears jeans and a t-shirt or sports jersey. During cooler weather or when ridding his motorcycle he adds a leather cycle jacket.

What are some adjectives that would describe you?
Competitive, Overconfident,
Unread 1st of May, 2007, 04:57
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #15
How did you get your powers? Do you know if you have super powers? How did it affect you?Does anyone else know? How did they react?
- - -
I don't have super powers.

= = =

- - -
Donald and Margaret Sawyer. Dad was a factory worker. I was a change-of-life baby so my parents were older than other kids' parents my age. Dad died suddenly of a heart attack when I was 15. Mom had always been emotionally unstable, and when Dad died she really fell apart. She ended up in the State Hospital, and I went to live with my sister and her family.

= = =

- - -
Not really.

= = =

Where were you born?
- - -
Cleveland, Ohio

= = =

- - -
My mother suffered severe post partum depression after I was born, and she never really recovered after that. She was distant and hyper-critical of me. My older siblings (a sister and a brother) were pretty resentful of me too. I felt isolated most of the time. When I grew up, it was easy for me to look outside the family for my own emotional needs.

= = =

- - -
No. When I left Cleveland, I never really looked back.

= = =

- - -
I had the usual boyfriends, maybe a few more than other girls. I always dreaded bringing them home to meet my family, so relationships didn't last long. I met my future husband when I was 17. He was home from the military on leave, and he looked so nice in his uniform. I crushed on him hard! When his leave was up, he asked me to go with him. Why not? I couldn't stand living with my sister, and she was happy to have me gone. I really wanted to finish school, but I wanted out even more, so I went. A few months later we got married. It wasn't until afterwards that I realized what kind of guy he was.

= = =

Who are your heroes?
- - -
My dad. He had to deal with a needy little girl when his wife couldn't cope, AND keep bread on the table for the family. He did more than a lot of dads could do.

= = =

- - -
I want to get my GED and get out of this wreck of a marriage. I want to be able to take care of myself and not have to depend on my family, my husband, or the military.

= = =

- - -
When I was really little, I couldn't figure out why my mom didn't love me. I tried so hard to get her attention, and I think that was what drove me the most - to find love.

= = =

- - -
You can't count on other people. You have to be able to look after yourself. Education is important. You can't just be someone's wife or you'll be too dependent on that one person for everything.

= = =

- - -
I was a shy little kid and tended to be a teacher's pet, which didn't make me too popular with other kids. But when I was about 12 or 13 I started attracting boys. I figured out how to get their attention (short shorts and skimpy tops, and then keep them wondering about whether you'll "do it" or not). Sudden popularity like that can really cloud your judgement! I went to lots of parties, and did a few things I probably shouldn't have. Dad was too busy to notice and Mom didn't care much what I did. I was really pretty lucky I didn't get into real trouble.

= = =

- - -
I've been told I have a "hot body". I used to flaunt it but I've learned that will only get me trouble. I'm 5'5", and have sandy blonde, shoulder-length hair and blue eyes.

= = =

- - -
All-American girl; even-tempered; friendly but lonely; uneducated; a bit gun-shy when it comes to men

Last edited by Kelemyn; 16th of October, 2007 at 08:58.
Unread 16th of August, 2009, 09:52
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
Spoon Bending: My Interview with Psychonaut
by Alexandra Beauchamp

It's 10:45pm on a Tuesday and my guest is an hour and a half late. The metahuman known as Psychonaut strolls in through the back door to this quiet bar and takes his seat opposite me. Despite my irritation I have to admit he cuts a dashing figure. Framed in the dim light moment he looks for a moment like he belongs swinging from a chandelier--not out fighting drug dealers and bank robbers. His uniform is an understated ensemble with a mask to hide his identity. A wry thought plays across my mind. The man that can read everything about you doesn't even want you to know what his face looks like. It hardly seems fair.

"Sorry," he says. "Paperwork."

I arch an eyebrow. Do heroes suffer from the same bureaucratic foes that we do?

"Well, I couldn't just dump a half-dozen criminals outside the police station with no explanation. Besides," he says, flashing a grin that some might find infectious, "some of them resisted arrest."

I glance down at his hands. No tell-tale signs of cuts or bruising from a scrap, but he is a mentalist after all. Maybe he didn't need to use his hands. His costume is pristine. He certainly doesn't look like he's been acting as another vigilante tonight. I wonder if he's lying to me.

Psychonaut, as I learned, is a man of incongruities. He inspires as much as he damns and flatters as often as he insults. He tears you between love and hate the same way I images he oscillates within himself. And at the end of it all, I can't help but wonder if that isn't exactly what he wants you to feel.

Thanks for taking the time today, Mr...?
Psychonaut is fine. We don't need real names here.

Of course. Psychonaut. That's an interesting name. Doesn't it mean "sailor of the mind?"
You know your Greek. Yes, that it was it means. Classically speaking.

But psychonauts typically use mind altering drugs as a means to expand their consciousness. Do you do that?
No. Sighing. I don't need any entheogens to do what I do. I wish it was that simple.

And how does a man land on such a name? Were you classically trained?
I went to school, if that's what you're asking.

So tell us how you got your powers.
I woke up with them.

Just like that?
Just like that.

When did this happen?
About a year ago. I woke up in the hospital. I was different than before. Better. Worse.

What had happened to you?
I don't know, really. The doctors said it was normal to have amnesia surrounding the time leading up to a particularly traumatic incident.

Don't you find that ironic?
What? The fact that a supposed "psychic" like me doesn't know what happened?

Well, yes. If you could read minds couldn't you--
Just read my own? Yeah, that would be nice. But it isn't that simple. You're doing the human brain a great disservice. It's incredibly complex. Mind reading isn't like flipping through a book. It's like swimming in the ocean. And every single drop of water is a different thought or memory. Besides, sometimes there are things you don't want to know.

Is this because of how the doctors found you?
Dead, you mean? Yeah. I had six months of physical therapy before I could walk again. From what they told me I was dead for quite some time.

You mean clinically dead? Like on the table while they worked on you in the ER?
Perhaps. The definition for being clinically dead is that your heart and blood circulation stops. From what I heard I definitely had that. But the human body is an amazing thing. It can survive a long time clinically dead.

Except for the brain.
Except for the brain. The rest of you can go hours and hours. The brain lasts three minutes.

How long were you out then?
Two days.

But wouldn't they have just pronounced you dead?
They tried. Fortunately they were monitoring my brain patterns as well as my BP and heart rate. One of the doctors told me they thought the machine was broken. But once they realized my brain was still going they fired up resuscitation.

They gave you CPR for two days?
Something like that. People weren't in there pounding on my chest for 48 hours. There's some incredibly advanced medical technology these days.

So what happened when you woke up?
I hurt. I hurt everywhere. Not like when you go too hard at the gym hurt, or like when you've got the flu and your skin hurts. I mean every single part of me was in pain. Every muscle, every inch of skin, every internal organ. My eyeballs. Every fucking thing.

What sorts of wounds did you have?
*Psychonaut pulls up part of his costume to reveal an uneven, ugly pink scar* That's from the accident. Well, and the surgery. Apparently they had to put some parts back in me.

Do they know what happened to you?
No. Apparently they just found me--blood, guts, and all--outside the hospital.

You've been through a lot. Why don't we talk about your powers?
Yeah. Let's change the subject. What do you want to know?

What can you do?
I can do all sorts of stuff with my mind. Telepathy. Telekinesis. Empathy. Psychokinesis. Flight. Invulnerability. Time Control. Plant control. Cosmic awareness. Reality shaping. Molecular deconstruction.

Wait. Really?
*laughs* No. Some of it's true though.

You can at least read minds, right?
Yes. I can.

So what am I thinking right now?
*long pause* You don't want me to do that.

Why not?
Because it's your mind. It's the one part of you that no matter what, other people can't know. Oh, they might guess what you're thinking. They might predict what you'll do. But at the end of the day it's our fortress. It's impregnable. It's what makes you, you.

But you can get inside.
I can. It's just not something I like to do.

Because you feel like you're violating people?
Because...look, my powers aren't always flashy. I can't grow to be thirty feet tall. I can't create thunderstorms. People know when you're doing that. Mine is hard to detect. Do you know how easy it would be to just reach in and read people's thoughts without them ever knowing? I don't like doing it because I don't want...

To get addicted?
Maybe you're the psychic.

I thought you said it was hard?
It is at first. You get better with practice.

So you've done a lot of this?
I have to do it in my work, from time to time.

And people don't feel it?
Some do. Some don't. Think of it like a radio frequency. If you're tuned into it, you'll know what's going on.

What's it like?
Awful. Wonderful. Sometimes you see things you can never forget. The human mind can be a dark place.

Maybe I don't want you rooting around my cranium then.
Definitely not. We'd have to share your dirty thoughts with the world here. *laughs* Oh, don't look at me like that. I didn't look...much.

Moving on, Psychonaut. What made you take up being a hero?
Look at it like this. I've got these powers. I may as well do something with them. Yeah, I could take advantage of them. Work my way up a corporate ladder. Crush other companies. Get lots of money and women and...I'm sorry. That's a really good question. Why am I bothering to do this?

I'm sure the living isn't too rough.
Cops have it worse. That's for sure. I'm just trying to make sure the guys who are dangerous don't get to run wild.

But, and I'm sorry because I don't know of a nicer way to say this, but how can we trust you?
To be completely honest...you can't, really. And you shouldn't. People who call themselves heroes or villains, people who dress up in outlandish costumes, cannot be trusted. Because anyone who does that isn't right in the head. Maybe they mean well. Maybe they don't. But sooner or later, people are going to get hurt. The "good guys" here are just the metas that have decided they don't want to see the world burn down.

Are you proposing some sort of regulation or ban on metahuman activity?
I would in a heartbeat if I thought it would do any good.

But how would we control someone like you who can fly under the radar?
Neural inhibitors? A solemn oath? I don't know, to be honest.

Talk to me about the sacrifices you make to do this. Do you have a day job? What about a personal life? Are you seeing anyone?
I do all right. But women? Which do you think a girl would like better? Her boyfriend having to disappear every night? Or him coming home late, if at all, with his face mashed in? Oh, or door number three. There's the fact that he can, at any moment, read exactly what's going on in her head. Maybe some think that'd make communicating easier. I don't. Look, let's not call them sacrifices. It's just something I do. It's no better or worse than anyone else.

Fair enough. Then what's next for you?
Another job to do. I've got some things to take care of tonight.

The life of the hero is never dull.
More like no rest for the wicked.

Is that how you see yourself?
No, no. Don't go Freudian on me. Look, my dad loved to quote historical figures--presidents especially. One that always stuck out to me was by Lincoln. "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Perhaps you're being tested.
Maybe I am. I hope I pass.

What about getting an "A?"
Let's focus on passing first.

Is there anything you'd like our readers to know about you?
No, I don't think so.

Well, thank you again for taking the time.
No, thank you. And thanks for asking all the questions I told you to when I reached inside your head. *laughs* I'm kidding.

Aren't I?

Last edited by Cadrius; 16th of August, 2009 at 10:16. Reason: Perfectionism