Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Darken's Games > Rivalry

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 13th of October, 2005, 11:40
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.22 per day)
Arel and Melfice's Chapter

Eighthday, Thirdweek Tarsakh, DR 1377, Year of the Haunting.

Arel and Melfice find themselves in the comfort, at least relatively speaking, of the Drow city Mezzappentia. After the interesting yet enraging conversation with the toad-like creature near the Illithid's territory and the consistent mental invasion, any place would seem comfortable. Settling down in an inn Arel has visited previously, Melfice and the others stay back while Arel search the city for possible clues about the Illithids and Githyanki, but unfortunately her effort has been fruitless for the past few hours.
  #2  
Unread 14th of October, 2005, 05:06
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.74 per day)
Arel and Torrenik return to the inn in failure.

"I'm sure they exist, but I can't for the life of me figure out where they are," the necromancer mutters, straining her mind for the knowledge she desires but coming up well short.

"Well then, I suppose I have research to do. No matter at all, of course. I have no intention of half-assing my plan and ending the night with an empty skull."

"Personally, I don't think the plan is very good. What if they give you the same response as the mind flayers did?" Tor said, typically skeptical and realistic.

"It's possible, but if they do, there's considerably less risk in forcing them to comply. And at any rate, if the stories are true, it is quite unlikely we'll find no one interested. And why wouldn't they be true?"

"You're going on some sketchy half-remembered facts about creatures living in a completely empty realm! Come now, I say we scrap the whole idea."

"Scrap the idea!? Fool, you don't understand the powers at work here."

"Not... the idea. I just mean your whole gith--"

"Don't say it out loud! Only in writing. It's harder to detect, you know."

"Er, right. Just... them. Not worth it. I say you aim lower. Say... this city. You could probably set things up quite well here, and at a much lower risk."

"But much less of a reward."

Arel went to her room.

"We'll sleep on it, anyways."

[OOC: And prepare a spellbook full of alternate spells, too.]

Last edited by LeadPal; 14th of October, 2005 at 07:56.
  #3  
Unread 17th of October, 2005, 12:53
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.22 per day)
Ninthday, Thirdweek Tarsakh, DR 1377, Year of the Haunting.

The night was peaceful, and no feels no more mental attacks or attempts to discern your whereabouts at all. You have some slight trouble resting with your anticipation, but nevertheless fall asleep after a while. Comes morning, you refresh your mind and prepares your daily spells while the streets outside get busy once more, for the non-slaves to begin another day of work.
  #4  
Unread 18th of October, 2005, 12:23
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.74 per day)
In the morning, Arel prepares to leave immediately.

"It's clear this city is useless to us, at least for now. Let's get to a library, and figure out where to go from here. Only with proper planning can we succeed. Well, not so much having a plan as being well-informed. Don't want to jump to conclusions and make errors."

Arel weaves considerably more efficient magic than she attempted to manifest the day before, in hopes that it would take them directly to the door of the largest library she could think of.

[OOC: Greater Teleport, of course. No failure chance for that, right? Right!?]
  #5  
Unread 18th of October, 2005, 13:42
Prince Yami's Avatar
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1474
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 497 (0.11 per day)
this is getting to be more trouble then it's worth thought Melfice shaking his head before getting ready for the teleportation and hoping they wouldn't get off track again.
  #6  
Unread 18th of October, 2005, 22:02
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.22 per day)
The spell functions correctly this time, and the party arrives before the largest known library on the surface of Faerun, Candlekeep. Two monks are stationed by the entrence and nod at you in greeting as though used to this type of transportation.

"Greetings, traveler. Would you be visiting the vault of knowledge today? What offerings have you prepared?"
  #7  
Unread 19th of October, 2005, 10:09
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.74 per day)
Oh, that's right. The offering. They want books at Candlekeep, right? I don't have any books on me. I'll have to come up with something else.

Arel searches her belt and considers what to say. "Well, I don't have anything special to offer. Luckily, the information I'm looking for isn't particularly special either; or, at least, I'm hoping it isn't. How about simple gold? I'm certain that your experienced librarians could find and purchace a tome much rarer than I could ever get you. A few hundred coins should be sufficient, no?"

[OOC: Diplomacy +28]

Last edited by LeadPal; 19th of October, 2005 at 10:12.
  #8  
Unread 19th of October, 2005, 11:16
Prince Yami's Avatar
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1474
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 497 (0.11 per day)
Candlekeep thought Melfice maybe i can find some information worth my time. "I too have no books with me" says Melfice, "but i have a fair bit of gold. tell me, do you have a section on artifacts?"
__________________
Remember, don't fire until you see the eyes of their wights.
  #9  
Unread 20th of October, 2005, 05:30
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.22 per day)
The monk at the gate bows politely and replies, "Alas, we desire no material wealth. Gold pieces come and go, and we only desire written knowledge. I am afraid that if you do not have the offering necessary, you will have to come back later when you do. As to your other question, yes, we have a section on the lores of Artifacts, as well as recordings on all other categories you can imagine."
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
  #10  
Unread 20th of October, 2005, 06:41
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.74 per day)
"Er... well, yes, but material wealth has great value to others, doesn't it? Why not just take the money and purchase an especially rare volume from a vendor that we, humble mages and minstrels, would not think to go to? That would appear to be more logical, since we'd inevitably end up spending this gold on works less worthy than your own."

They ask for my spellbook, and their souls are mine, Arel thinks as she tries to convince the monks to take her money.

Tor wonders if they should just go to a smaller library, or perhaps alternatively take the monks as slaves. He doesn't say anything, however.
  #11  
Unread 20th of October, 2005, 09:51
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.22 per day)
"That is a certainly common suggestion," The monk replies, "however, we do not wish to travel away nor to deal in the trades. We simply follow the tradition of Candlekeep that has been passing down in generations. We need but simple tomes of knowledge of any kind."
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
  #12  
Unread 20th of October, 2005, 12:27
Prince Yami's Avatar
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1474
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 497 (0.11 per day)
"What about magical communication and transportation?" suggested Melfice. "I am a bit of a treasure hunter and i have made a few donations to the collages in waterdeep. Perhaps they would be willing to part with one of their tomes if i could speak with them somehow".
__________________
Remember, don't fire until you see the eyes of their wights.
  #13  
Unread 20th of October, 2005, 12:37
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.74 per day)
"Yeah, that's a good idea. At least that way it costs me nothing," Arel says with a sly grin. "Melfice, I've never been to Waterdeep myself, so you'll need to describe the place. You're sure you can get a book?"
  #14  
Unread 20th of October, 2005, 13:24
Prince Yami's Avatar
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1474
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 497 (0.11 per day)
"Absolutely" he says, "If i cant talk my way to it we could just buy one at Serpentil's books. They have quite a selection though it isn't nearly as good as candlekeeps, which isn't saying much considering candlekeep is the largest library around".

Melfice explains waterdeep as best he can which turns out to be quite well since he spent a good portion of his life there. His explanation of Blackstaff tower is particularrily vivid and it seemes to the others that the tower is his favorate spot in the city.

Last edited by Prince Yami; 20th of October, 2005 at 13:27.
  #15  
Unread 21st of October, 2005, 07:11
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.74 per day)
Torrenik stands by, bored by Melfice's lengthy description; particularly when it starts drifting near irrelevant topics. He takes out his novel and thumbs through it half-heartedly.

"Hmm. Wouldn't happen to want this book, would you? It isn't real knowledge, but it's an interesting read."

"Tor, they don't care about fiction... do they? Can we give you this book, and save ourselves the trip?" Arel asks the monk.

[OOC: If the answer is no, psionic teleport to Waterdeep on Melfice's description with little fanfare.]
  #16  
Unread 21st of October, 2005, 09:52
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.22 per day)
The monk briefly browses through the book, and returns it with a bow. "I am sorry, while this is certainly an interesting piece of literature, it is not what we are looking for. I would recommend you to take it to Waterdeep or Silverymoon, some might be interesting in the writing."

Unable to gain access to Candlekeep for now, Arel gathers everyone and manifested her power to transport you to Waterdeep, near Blackstaff's tower. The Teleportation is successful, and you find yourself next to the famous tower.
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
  #17  
Unread 23rd of October, 2005, 05:43
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.74 per day)
"Excellent. And off we go."

Arel lets Melfice lead the way to where he claims he can get the books.
  #18  
Unread 23rd of October, 2005, 10:25
Prince Yami's Avatar
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1474
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 497 (0.11 per day)
Melfice goes around to the various places he has donted artifacts and the like to in an attempt to find a suitible book and, failing that, goes to the bookstore.
__________________
Remember, don't fire until you see the eyes of their wights.
  #19  
Unread 24th of October, 2005, 03:06
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.74 per day)
Eventually, Arel becomes a bit bored with the hunt, and decides to wander off.

"We'll meet at the tower, since it's impossible to miss. I'm going to see if I can find any good place to purchase a few scrolls."

Arel searches for a merchant or a collage holding a scroll of summoning, at the maximum power she is capable of casting.
  #20  
Unread 24th of October, 2005, 10:15
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.22 per day)
After some travel, Melfice is able to obtain a book with great detail regarding the research of the Sword Coast's coastline ecology and weather patterns, as well as providing comments on fishery industry. A quick browse of the book indicates that it certainly fits the Candlekeep's requirement as an offering.

Arel easily finds some merchants in the Market District willing to part with a scroll of Summon Monster VIII at the fair market price.
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
  #21  
Unread 24th of October, 2005, 12:30
Prince Yami's Avatar
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1474
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 497 (0.11 per day)
With the book stowed safely in his pack Melfice heads back to blackstaff tower and simply wanders around outside it letting the familliar surroundings calm him before he finds a place to sit and wait for Arel.
__________________
Remember, don't fire until you see the eyes of their wights.
  #22  
Unread 25th of October, 2005, 09:58
LeadPal's Avatar
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1488
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 3,254 (0.74 per day)
[OOC: Actually, that would be VII, not VIII.]

Arel arrives soon afterwards with a freshly scribed scroll bought from an elderly merchant not far off, and after news of Melfice's success she takes everyone back to Candlekeep with her psionic power.
  #23  
Unread 25th of October, 2005, 12:16
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.22 per day)
IN fairly short orders, you return to Candlekeep. The monk previously stationed by the gate is still present, and he smiles at you warmly. "Ah, distant travelers, you've returned in such short order. Have you the proper offering to browse our collection now?"
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
  #24  
Unread 26th of October, 2005, 01:58
Prince Yami's Avatar
Prince Yami
Vampire Spawn [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1474
Location: Kelowna BC
Posts: 497 (0.11 per day)
Melfice pulls the book from his pack and hands it to the monk.
  #25  
Unread 26th of October, 2005, 05:00
Darken's Avatar
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1476
Posts: 967 (0.22 per day)
"Ah, wonderful, wonderful. This is certainly knowledge worthy of Candlekeep's archive." The Monk quickly flips through it as he comments. "Well then, this is sufficient offering. Please, my friends, enjoy your stay at Candlekeep."

With that, the Monk ushers you into the most extensive library in Faerun.
__________________
Darken

Light, is the lack of darkness.
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 14:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren