Online-Roleplaying.community

Online-Roleplaying.community (http://online-roleplaying.com/forums/index.php)
-   Three Sixteen (http://online-roleplaying.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1696)
-   -   Officer's Lounge - OOC (http://online-roleplaying.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11062)

Explosive Cheese 30th of April, 2010 20:50

Officer's Lounge - OOC

In between blasting bugs and occasional bouts of character development (try not to get addicted to this) we can lay back in chill in the lounge.

This is game number... 6? Cool.

So I think I'm gonna go with Velda 'The Tank' Dilbur. Big beefy chick, with a heart of gold, a penchant for big guns, and a complex for protecting people. Oh, and if you say anything about chicks being weaker than guys to her - you may find your brain on a fast flight to the moon, courtesy of Air Velda.

So Croaker, what kind of ridiculous firepower do we have in this game? Just how much dakka can we crank out?

AoM 30th of April, 2010 21:59

Careful you don't over commit, Cheese.

What are the basic concepts we need to hash out about our characters? Haven't gotten hold of the rules yet.

Explosive Cheese 30th of April, 2010 22:02

Meh, Velda's adaptable. All she needs is lots, lots, and lots of Dakka. And then more.

I'll look into getting a hold of the rules this weekend.

Croaker 1st of May, 2010 00:05

The rules aren't really a necessity, but I'm not against supporting indie games.

I'll put up character generation rules and guidelines later today.

Shakespeare 1st of May, 2010 01:39

Meet Ryder, a young man with old fashioned views of loyalty and duty, and a natural leadership ability.

Working on reading through the rules as soon as possible. :) Game on!

Croaker 1st of May, 2010 01:44

Excellent! Looking forward to starting this up. Glad to have you guys aboard.

Croaker 1st of May, 2010 14:48

Starting work on this now. Expect character generation rules tonight.

Croaker 1st of May, 2010 16:00

Go ahead and get started on your characters. Feel free to write a sentence or two for background. No more than that, please.

We'll cover gear, rank, and system stuff tomorrow.

AoM 1st of May, 2010 20:46

Gotten through the rules. Sounds like this'll be fun.

"Jet" is generally seen as a quiet, efficient individual. He has a dark sense of humor.

Explosive Cheese 2nd of May, 2010 04:57

About halfway through the rules, just finished reading about flashbacks.
Question: Can I use a flashback to take a kill for another character? (It would be a weakness if the other could afford it more than I; a strength in the reverse scenario)
Reason is I see "Tank" as being the troops meatshield, protective to a fault.

Croaker 2nd of May, 2010 05:28

It doesn't take much to get dead, but if you want to try and roll NFA to take a hit for a teammate during combat, I'll allow that. It's all about your character. Flashbacks could be used for this purpose, but you shouldn't really think about it too much. Just remember that a Weakness IS a loss, just a loss on your own terms. A Strength is a win; again, on your own terms.

Explosive Cheese 2nd of May, 2010 05:49

I realized. I figured that maybe "Tank" would take the hit, and be down for the count. It's a loss for "Tank", even if it enables a win for the whole encounter.

Croaker 2nd of May, 2010 07:56

It's a loss for the entire encounter, though.

Explosive Cheese 2nd of May, 2010 08:15

When I read the manual, it said that you just remove one threat token, and keep going if there are any left. So, my character would be out, but everybody else is still in, trying to take down the bugs.

Croaker 2nd of May, 2010 09:38

Oops, misread that rule. You're right.

You can pretty much narrate whatever you want as long as it's a loss. It can't be a loss that leads to a victory or anything like that. You use it to get yourself out of a worse situation and into a merely bad situation.

That is, you can't narrate Tank taking a heroic leap in front of the alien horde holding them back. It has to be framed as a weakness. Make sense?

Explosive Cheese 2nd of May, 2010 10:04

Yes. I'm thinking something like she jumps in front of a character, taking a vicious bite from a bug that she can't handle easily, while the other could have. She gets knocked unconscious in the field of battle. She makes things harder for everybody probably, but it works in character. I can try and be more productive at other times, to cancel out the effect of screwing with everybody's plans. 'Course, there's always the chance that Tank will die from this, so I'd rather not do it till a bit later.

Explosive Cheese 3rd of May, 2010 03:44

Been thinking about character concept a bit, and decided that I had two characters in one. Decided to drop the meatshield part, and keep the "MOAR DAKKA!!!" bit, ramped up. Just about the only things Dakka cares about are firepower and killing bugs.

Croaker 3rd of May, 2010 06:19

Just waiting on Daedalus. I'll poke him.

Daedalus 5th of May, 2010 03:50

Sorry I'm late.

Doc is a pretty messed up individual. He "wasted" his youth getting a medical degree instead of killing bugs, and when he finally joined the military, his skill set led the quartermaster to issue him a rifle and a medical kit instead of the flamethrower he asked for. He's still pretty pissed off about that.

Croaker 5th of May, 2010 05:13

Alright, shitsleeves, listen up. Processing has begun and you've all been assigned your starting rank. Everyone should file any and complaints they have to Sergeant Ryder. Corporal Dakka will hand out the ass-whuppins as needed. Troopers Doc and Jet, keep your heads down and there won't be any issues. The rest of you fuckwits just do what you're told.

The quartermaster will be handing out your gear today. Later on we'll send you through the armory to pick up the rest of your gear. Don't daddle, or I'll put my foot so far down your throat you'll have to shine the shit off of it when I'm done! Be ready for planetfall, ASAP!

DIS-missed!

Explosive Cheese 5th of May, 2010 05:41

Sir! My gear and weapons are packed and ready, Sir! Permission to spray some bugs, Sir!

Croaker 5th of May, 2010 06:47

Kid, you don't even have any weapons yet. Sit tight.

Explosive Cheese 5th of May, 2010 06:57

Sure I do - I got this bigass Mini-Gun, see? ...Sir!

And grenades and fists, Sir!

Daedalus 5th of May, 2010 07:11

Hey, Corporal Dakka, right? With all due respect Sir, shut the fuck up. I don't wanna get shitcan duty again because you decided to run your mouth off at the CO. Sir.

Explosive Cheese 5th of May, 2010 07:27

And who the fuck asked you, trooper?
Fine, fine, I can see everybody is all into, this waiting bullshit, so I'm gonna head over to target practice. At least there I can fry some bugs, even if it's only fake bugs.